Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadowrun Returns

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

Shadowrun Returns is a turn-based RPG created by Harebrained Schemes.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong (kickstarter live as of 13 Jan)

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By extintor
    rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looks like Asia?

Anyways good news, this is my currently favourite series.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Shut up and take my nuyen!

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just bought Dragonfall and I'm just about to reach the end. Loved every minute of it, such a cool game. Could be tempted to back this.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wiz. I want to kickstart this but do you think they'll include an android version in the rewards? Dead Man's Switch runs like drek on my laptop but great on android.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karkarov

Great news, this is one kickstarter game that really has panned out and I will be happy to shell over a few more bucks for a new expac!

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited to see what they promise to get people to back another campaign. Really liked the first two.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By extintor
    No Caption Provided

Looks like the working title is Shadowrun: Hong Kong

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Well this thing is going to take about 48 hours before it's fully funded.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Depends on how much they want. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the first 24. I barely backed the original with like 5 bucks or something cause I had my doubts. Will be donating a little more than a fiver this time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Well the last time they hit their funding goal of only $400,000 in a little over 24 hours. Since they raised a total of $1.8 million, I wouldn't be surprised if they set their goal at something like $750,000 or $800,000 this time around.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last one was really good with the potential to be great. I hope this one gets funded since they do have the experience and basis now to make the next one great.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck yeah! I've really enjoyed the writing and the characters in this series. I haven't backed them in the past but I'll definitely support them with this.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By extintor
    Lime_Slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgive my ignorance in all of this but, did they not make enough money from selling the first game to fund the sequel? I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to understand how game development on Kickstarter works. You get your money up front, make the sequel and it doesn't matter how much money you made from selling the first game?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Surprised to see such an outpour of positivity. When the original Shadowrun Returns came out I remember the reception seemed to range from tepid to ehhh it's alright. Guess a lot more people were really wowed with it than I thought.

Also the first thing that popped in my mind was what @lime_slime said - shouldn't they have used money from the first game and the expansion to fund the next? I guess they broke even.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I for world can not understand why this needs a kickstarter. Especially with such a low goal.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Corevi

@lime_slime: It's basically just a seperate avenue for preorders but you can get more stuff.

@humanity: It was Dragonfall that people were really impressed by. It took the core of Shadowrun Returns but added a compelling narrative as well as better scenario design.

The sourcebook bundle is looking mighty tempting. If anyone has played the tabletop game how complicated is it compared to Pathfinder/DnD 3.5?

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One of the top RPGs last year on PC was the Dragonfall, so it's no brainer that they got another one funded!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

Surprised to see such an outpour of positivity. When the original Shadowrun Returns came out I remember the reception seemed to range from tepid to ehhh it's alright. Guess a lot more people were really wowed with it than I thought.

Dragonfall blows Returns out of the water. It's kind of crazy how good that game is and how well it uses the Returns framework.

They've said that they have Hong Kong planned to be on the level of Dragonfall in terms of content and polish and they are promising that if they get more cash, they'll make it even better, so I don't blame people for being into that. Fuck, I think I'll pitch in 15 bucks.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I am tempted by that sourcebook bundle. Glad to see this will be going forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yes!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sorry chummer, spent my last nuyen on sims.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ghostiet: Well I'm curious about three things: how much did Shadowrun cost to make, how much did they raise and how much did they end up making on it? Sadly out of the three we only know the answer to one. They originally asked for $400,000 and got nearly $2 million. So I'm wondering, since this is a relatively small team, did that $2 million cover their entire development costs? Cause if so then the entire project was pure profit, in which case it would be weird to make another kickstarter.

I guess as long as people want to keep supporting them there is no harm done, and it's a very lucrative business proposition for them along the way.

Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Estwilde

@humanity:

It did make a lot more than they originally asked for. I THINK the majority of the excess is how we got Dragonfall as I don't remember it ever being discussed on the original kickstarter. Two campaigns and assets, plus an editor to play with, kickstarter swag costs, and etc. I think it probably ended pretty fairly. I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out with their work.

The great information we've been privy to thanks to the Skullgirls DLC character, and history's greatest monster Dave Lang, should have helped everyone to understand that people do not realize how much money it takes to run/operate a company and develop something.

Finishing DMS and Dragonfall a couple weeks ago put a strong desire in me to start writing a story to build into a campaign with the editor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.