Anyone play this on 360?

#1 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

This is a fantastic multiplayer experience that not many people got a chance to play. Its available now for cheap and there is a demo on the marketplace - Check it out!

#2 Edited by Indifference (6 posts) -

I've been asking the same thing. The answer I usually get is that there is a community but it's so hardcore that new players need not apply. I sold my 360 version but I still have it on the PC.

#3 Posted by joseph881 (12 posts) -

XL, what you should be asking is if anyone plays this on Vista, like the guy above me. Anyway, I play this game both on 360 and Vista.

#4 Posted by Felix (145 posts) -

I used to play it back when it came out, but it seemed the community got hard core really quick, and I didn't have the time to put into it then. I still have the game, so I may get back into it someday (if it's still around then).

#5 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

I've been thinking about getting it since it has a nice price point atm, i'll try out the demo today.

#6 Posted by Brownmonkey (9 posts) -

I play it all the time, its a shame no a lot of people are playing it right now, especially since its like $12 at gamestop

#7 Posted by Kholdstare (16 posts) -

Love the game and I've put a lot of hours into it throughout the months. Though I haven't really played the game recently... I need to get back into it.

Indifference dude you need to start playing again. The community is really hardcore but thanks to the price drop there are a lot of average players playing.

#8 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

Yeah, it is a much smaller fan base compared to Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4, but there are a lot of dedicated players playing it every night.

I have ran into the same group of cool dudes a few nights, that is something that you would never get in Halo or CoD4

#9 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

Yep. I play most nights a week. This game never seems to get old, though I did take a big 8 month break.

#10 Posted by sheisty_shogun (256 posts) -

I had some interest in the game...but I think I'm waiting until it goes under the 10 dollar mark.

#11 Posted by joseph881 (12 posts) -

Well, a used copy is already there just ask XL. I bought a new copy (I like buying new) on ebay for 23 bucks shipped. So this game is currently a steal.

#12 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Indifference said:
"I've been asking the same thing. The answer I usually get is that there is a community but it's so hardcore that new players need not apply. I sold my 360 version but I still have it on the PC.
"
I guess that's why most people don't play it. I was interested in it, but I decided not to buy it.
#13 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Aren't the servers closed because FASA studios closed their doors?

#14 Posted by joseph881 (12 posts) -

No. This game uses TrueSkill Matchmaking, so it's P2P, but we do run into a good amount of connection issues. The only effects of FASA closing that impact the game is no future updates or DLC.

#15 Posted by Kholdstare (16 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"

Aren't the servers closed because FASA studios closed their doors?

"

The servers in question were PC dedicated servers hosted by FASA. You can still play the game on either platform and still host dedicated servers on the PC. It's just that there are no more official ones.
#16 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

Yeah,  it is really sad what hapend to FASA, Microsoft sent their game to die

No DLC or future patches will ever be released :(

#17 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

It's in decent shape now, though. They did manage to clog the big holes before Microsoft dissolved their studio. (in acid)

#18 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -
Kholdstare said:
"Love the game and I've put a lot of hours into it throughout the months. Though I haven't really played the game recently... I need to get back into it.

Indifference dude you need to start playing again. The community is really hardcore but thanks to the price drop there are a lot of average players playing."

Ah, but see, you don't need to be a good killer, either. You can do recon with Glider and Enhanced Vision, you can do healer with Rez and Tree, you can do artifact denial with Minions and Strangle, you can do anti-smoker combat support with Tree and Gust...there are so MANY ways to play that don't rely on killing to help your team.

Besides: Rez the good killers, and you'll net half of their kill money after picking them up for the round.
#19 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
Kholdstare said:
"Love the game and I've put a lot of hours into it throughout the months. Though I haven't really played the game recently... I need to get back into it.

Indifference dude you need to start playing again. The community is really hardcore but thanks to the price drop there are a lot of average players playing."
this is the hardcore guy, but no one really plays this game anymoer i think.
#20 Posted by Kholdstare (16 posts) -
HTTenrai said:
"Kholdstare said:

Ah, but see, you don't need to be a good killer, either. You can do recon with Glider and Enhanced Vision, you can do healer with Rez and Tree, you can do artifact denial with Minions and Strangle, you can do anti-smoker combat support with Tree and Gust...there are so MANY ways to play that don't rely on killing to help your team.

Besides: Rez the good killers, and you'll net half of their kill money after picking them up for the round.
"

To be really effective in game sadly your potental options get a little more limited. Things like glider and minion lose their usefulness and a lot of the potental "classes" get fused into hybrid race classes. A team doesn't really need a dedicated healer, you just need a human or a troll to drop a tree at the start of the round and whenever someone is hurt, and have elves or humans combat rez people.

#21 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -
Kholdstare said:
"HTTenrai said:
"Kholdstare said:

"

To be really effective in game sadly your potental options get a little more limited. Things like glider and minion lose their usefulness and a lot of the potental "classes" get fused into hybrid race classes. A team doesn't really need a dedicated healer, you just need a human or a troll to drop a tree at the start of the round and whenever someone is hurt, and have elves or humans combat rez people.

"

For the most part yeah, but I have ran into games where the other team was using both Glider and Minion to devastating effect

Last night we ran into a dude who was sniping us from the Air using glider, not only was his shots dead on but we could not get a good shot at him. As far as Minion goes, it works really well in tight spaces as a distraction. If you are in a hallway in Lobby or Nerve Center, unleashing a minion is a great way to take potential fire off of yourself while you charge an enemy.
#22 Posted by Kholdstare (16 posts) -

Using Glider while sniping gives you horrible reticule bloom and makes you a slow moving duck. Anyone with a rifle should be able to crouch and get a few shots off before he comes back down, and anyone with glider should be able to force him back to the ground.

There are uses for minions and I agree there can be some potental for powerful builds. I just feel like buying it in the first half of the game is a waste of 3000 space bucks. To me it's like the rocket launcher... there are uses but unless you have money to burn there are better things to spend it on. That's my opinion.

#23 Posted by nick_ (79 posts) -

I am on almost every night and while there are a lot of hardcore players the teams typically end being pretty balanced. Anyway after a few games you will get a feel for what build you like and unless you are going after achievements all the time then you will get better with whatever combination of spells and tech you choose.

Oh and don't buy weapons in the first round, waste of money.

#24 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I did and I loved it for awhile, but then the glitches and bugs got to me and I quit. If they ever make a sequel I will get it.

#25 Posted by MikeydCT (563 posts) -

I did for a month, got all 1000 points.

#26 Posted by SheiK (4 posts) -

Haha...minions. It's a love and hate thing, really. Personally, I like using them in a casual pub because you're just screwing around most of the time. It's shockingly effective on trolls. ;)

But I stay away from "gimmicks" when playing a little more seriously in privates...trying to stick to a more consistent formula lol.

Btw there's a growing community at the MLG Forums...many top-tier players will lend a helping hand to anyone willing to learn the ins and outs of the game. We are very friendly and most certainly glad to help anyone! You don't need to worry about be called out as a "stupid noob" or something.

#27 Posted by Fall (1 posts) -

Now that the official forums are down, the already small community has fragmented even more, but there still are folks playing every day.  I hopped on for a few games last week after not having played for a couple months, and had fun, although I still am not a fan of the Minion, Glider, or the football grenades. :)

#28 Posted by Revengeance (5 posts) -

I just picked this up tonight as an impulse buy at Gamestop for $15 used.   I won't be able to play much for a week or so, but after that I'd love to play with some people.  Send me a pm if you want to carry me for some games someday :P

#29 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I thought this game went down the tubes?

#30 Posted by REforever101 (258 posts) -

i used to play this game a lot when it first came out. Trust me, its in NO WAY noob friendly. Actually, its probably the least noob friendly game I have ever played

#31 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

I still play it. The game never sold well but most people who bought it really liked it and are still playing it.

#32 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

For those who don't know, the game is now free to play. You don't need a gold account anymore.

#33 Posted by Kholdstare (16 posts) -
Fall said:
"

Now that the official forums are down, the already small community has fragmented even more, but there still are folks playing every day.  I hopped on for a few games last week after not having played for a couple months, and had fun, although I still am not a fan of the Minion, Glider, or the football grenades. :)

"
Holy shit it's Fall. How you doing dude? Haven't seen you since you gave me Shadowrun Fever in June of last year.
#34 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

actually, all the people I know who played the retail game loved it , and most of them still play online ( since offline doesnt really exist). People who are dissing the game dont have it and even sometimes dont even have an Xbox 360. You cant take all that you see online for granted.

Anyone who has Shadowrun, who wants to play, is a team player and not a total baby ( age having nothing to do with this ) can send me a game invite or a friends request with some mention of playing Shadowrun (vocal message with the FR). Im still working on some achievements that take a long time to get...

#35 Posted by thomas10soa (69 posts) -

used to play it has its awesome with friends, but due to not enough people playing it and the crappy matchmaking system it always puts me and my friends on seperate teams and i dont like that

#36 Posted by zgreenwell (44 posts) -

Shadowrun is the best competitive online shooter ever made! Everyone who enjoys playing shooter online in multiplayer matches should give this game a try. It is unique and intense. It also can be picked up for cheap.

#37 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

i sucked at this game so i never really got into it

#38 Posted by hexxagonal (38 posts) -

I booted up the game for the first time in a year and was surprised to find about 20 public games going on a Saturday afternoon.

#39 Posted by Dandy (57 posts) -

I am playing on my online on Winxp =D

#40 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

i really liked this game, if anyone here wants to play and needs extra players, send me a friends request. If I actualy see someone playing, it will help me boot it up more often... 

gamertag: charleytony
#41 Posted by daHULK1212 (2 posts) -

very good game, you could probably get it for 20 new so if you havent played it you must. SO fun, i still play it whenever my friends are playing it online.
#42 Posted by AnEternalEnigma (281 posts) -

I just hopped back on this weekend.  As an original beta tester for Shadowrun, I was proud to see there are still a good amount of people still playing this.  Jumped into games with absolutely no problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.