Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadowrun

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 29, 2007

An online-focused shooter based on the tabletop RPG of the same name, giving players modern weapons as well as various magic abilities. It was the first game to allow cross-platform play between Xbox 360 and PC players on the same servers.

Are there any other games like this?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

For some reason I remembered Shadowrun existed today, and then I remembered how much fun I had playing it despite all the criticism it has received always.

Although Shadowrun was really sparse on content, I found the character building aspect to be really fun and unique, and something I haven't seen in many shooters since. Race, abilities, and weapons all had different benefits and disadvantages and it possible to create dozens of character classes that played nothing alike. The magical-technology bent also added a lot of neat flavor to the power and made for some unique skills like summoning fields of crystals or making a mother fucking healing tree.

It definitely had its flaws, but Shadowrun had a lot of good ideas behind it and I haven't seen anyone iterate on it since. The most customization you ever get in most shooters is weapon loadout and maybe one or two pretty dull abilities like "More Damage" or "You Have an Energy Shield or Something".

The closest recent release I've played to this has been Tribes: Ascend, but Hi-rez has basically left it to die so they can make their dumb 3rd person moba. Are there any newer games like this or do I have to go scrounge around old ass PC games to finding anything similar.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By supamon
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#3  Edited By Savage

How about last year's Syndicate? Not only is it similar in that it's a sci-fi FPS with stat point customization and various abilities (spells) you can use, but it's also a shooter reboot of a long dead, yet beloved 90's tactical RPG!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

Maybe TF2 or Warframe?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Maybe TF2 or Warframe?

TF2 just ain't really the same. There are a lot of ridiculous weapons for each of the classes, but they're all restricted to those specific classes. This is the same reason Tribes just didn't scratch that same itch.

In Shadowrun you COULD put a big ass minigun on an Elf. It's probably not the best idea and you're not going to be as mobile as an elf with a lighter weapon or as efficent as a troll with the same weapon, but the option was there and if you could find a niche case for using a certain ability or a certain weapon you could take over a game and do some really insane shit.

I don't know that much about Warframe, I'll have to check it out.

HanYolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Parasite Eve for the PlayStation is pretty close to Shadow Run in game play mechanics...take a look.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I'm really surprised there was never a mod for Counter-Strike. Certain upgrades like seeing through walls or teleporting shouldn't be too big of a hassle, but stuff like the strangle or summon upgrades could take some time. It'd be fun to have all the Shadowrun upgrades and more. Maps wouldn't be all too hard to recreate either.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Genfuyung

Man I loved this game on 360. I really wish it had been successful.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Man, you make me recall how much fun I had with that game. Warping through walls, setting up rejuvenation trees, and running around like a maniac with a melee weapon. It's a shame that game wasn't more popular :./

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Brink is the most similar thing I've played, and if it wasn't marketed as something much more it'd be regarded as the decent game it actually is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.