Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadows of the Damned

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

As demon hunter Garcia "F**king" Hotspur, players must venture into Hell itself in order to rescue Paula, Garcia's innocent girlfriend, from the sadistic torments of Fleming, the Lord of Demons.

A Shadows of the Damned preview.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    Link

" If you thought Grasshopper Manufacture was "selling out" by making a third-person shooter, of all things, with EA Partners, of all people, you need not worry about such a thing. Having played Shadows of the Damned for about 20 minutes, I can confirm that it is a true Grasshopper game, full of the punk rock style, weird humor, brash, sexy women (one of whom wears mechanical devices on her arms and legs, and causes earthquakes when she dances), and over-the-top melee violence you'd expect from Suda 51's studio.

It just has better production values.  

Garcia Hotspur, a demon hunter whose accent is every bit as ridiculous as his name, travels into Hell to save his girlfriend Paula. It's not a subtle interpretation of Hell, either -- in the demo, Garcia literally enters a building with a giant neon "Welcome to Hell" sign on it. He's joined by a demon who has decided to work on the side of good (or at least Garcia), who manifests as a flaming, floating, inexplicably British skull in cutscenes, and as Garcia's weapons in gameplay. Those weapons include the "boner," a pistol that shoots bones (no, really), a shotgun-type weapon, and a machine gun, neither of which are called the "boner" so I can't remember the exact names. Garcia's jacket (a stylish leather one with "Love will tear us apart" on the sleeves) changes colors to indicate which weapon he's holding. He also carries a gun that shoots light, which has a very specific use.

One more time, and then we can go back to our grown-up lives: "Boner." Hee hee hee. Ahem. 

The hellish enemies that Garcia faces -- mostly featureless, zombie-type things, with the occasional Pyramid Head-looking blade-wielder -- are covered in inky blue "darkness," and can't be harmed in this state. You have to give them a good blast with the light gun before the darkness sloughs off and they are vulnerable to your melee attacks, puerile armaments, and totally awesome QTE finishers.

This "darkness" mechanic is central to the game. Not only are monsters tucked safely in their cozy Snuggies of evil, the area will frequently fill with an oppressive blue mist that progressively damages Garcia. He has to either heal himself with giant heart powerups, light the area (by shooting at goat head statues with his light gun) or destroy the source of the darkness (in the demo, a giant hand with a disgusting gash that shoots darkness bubbles) to save his life. This darkness also has a puzzle component: one door won't open unless it's shot from within the darkness, forcing you to go to a certain area and trigger a slowly advancing wave of blue evil. Then you go into the darkness, and shoot the gate, so you can pick up the brain and eyeballs some baby-headed doors want to eat before they'll open up for you. Of course.

The "darkness" gameplay hook is a strong one, and adds a puzzle element not usually seen in Grasshopper action games. Also unusual for Suda action games: this level of polish. There didn't seem to be any rough edges in the gameplay -- which, even Suda superfans will admit are usually present. This time, the quirks are all intentional. "

Sounds like there's a bit of Vanquish and Alan Wake in the game, with the demon that transforms into different guns and the enemies covered in protective veils of darkness that have to be removed with light. Cool.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I wasn't too interested in this game before, but all this news about it is making it grow on me.  Hopefully not every enemy in the game needs to be hit with the light gun, though- that seems like it might get kind of tedious.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm a lot more interested now! I'd be more interested if it were not for that unfortunate pistol name, but I'll get over that. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

No matter how this games turns out, it'll always have a fakin brill reveal trailer. Fortunately, it's also still sounding to be a potentially great game.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By owl_of_minerva

It sounds like, if the preview is correct, that they have the right Suda to Mikami ratio. If the game has quirkiness, style, and above all excellent combat then it'll be day one for me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " It sounds like, if the preview is correct, that they have the right Suda to Mikami ratio. If the game has quirkiness, style, and above all excellent combat then it'll be day one for me. "
    With a sublime amount of Akira to provide its moody and instantly memorable soundtrack X) The reveal trailer was Akira's work at least wasn't it? Not a licensed track?
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

This game has all sorts of all-star talent behind it. Hope it turns out awesome.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Abyssfull:  I'm going to assume it's Yamaoka, yeah, it sounds like him. He deserves a mention for his consistently excellent work on Silent Hill but I assume his work will be good. I was more worried about how it'll play, as the trailer seemed a little generic. I'm glad the game is shaping up well.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CaptainObvious

THE ALMIGHTY BONERRRRRRRRR 

I will never grow up.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Huh, so I wonder when in the game you'll be talking to a decapitated head. Game sounds interesting but I was not very fond of the "shine the light at enemies to make them vulnerable" mechanic in Alan Wake.

Edit: Talking decapitated head confirmed from the video. My life is complete now.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemael
    A new interview. Suda basically just says EA were very accepting when the Shadows concept was presented to them (and right after that, he says it's a shooter specifically because EA asked for it), and that he doesn't see his studio as one that's distinctly Japanese (lol).
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @OllyOxenFree: Now that I think about it, it's been since Killer 7 that I've seen a talking decapitated head. Good to see Suda's going back to basics! 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " THE ALMIGHTY BONERRRRRRRRR   "
    Right next to the BONEDUSTERRRRRRR!
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ShadowKing7

Yep, that sounds like a Suda 51 game.  Looking forward to it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael

In this interview, Shinji Mikami explains that his role in the team is basically to make sure the game plays right, and that he'd like to make a sequel to God Hand. 

Well, I'm officially hyped. The only thing keeping me from being really excited for Shadows was that I didn't know what the hell Mikami was doing (I mean seriously, what the fuck is "creative producer" supposed to mean?) but now... well, now I know this game will be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.