Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadows of the Damned

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

As demon hunter Garcia "F**king" Hotspur, players must venture into Hell itself in order to rescue Paula, Garcia's innocent girlfriend, from the sadistic torments of Fleming, the Lord of Demons.

I'm glad that Giantbomb and Alex love this game. F other sites

• 67 results
    Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

After seeing Brad and Jeff come off liking Shadows a lot after the quick look and Alex giving the good review I'm happy to see that GB isn't completely jaded like other sites have become.  It's truly a unique and good title.  Other sites have been bashing this game terribly which I'm really starting to see the reviewers on those sites are just completely jaded like IGN and Gametrailers, and I really used to respect Gametrailers opinion.  If it's a AAA title from a huge development studio with tons of money to spend you get at least a 9 no questions asked but if your the small guy and do something different you get screwed. 

It's just I like unique games like this and I like to see them continuing being made.  I don't want to see just sequels of huge mainstream titles and stupid casual games which is what the industry is becoming.  When a game like this gets 6.5s from sites it hurts MAJORLY sales wise.  This game deserves much better than that to.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Only seen Alex's review and the Quick Look but yeah the game looks pretty sweet.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Well maybe the reason sites like gametrailers gave it a bad review is because they... didn't like the game? I mean they're just opinions man, no reason to get so worked up about it.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mahonay

A game with actual personality goes a long way today in a sea of samey-ness. It think that's why I love Trenched so much. I'm also really looking forward to this game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dalai

Actually it's been getting pretty decent reviews on par with the usual Suda 51 games. It looks pretty cool, but it's gonna be a bit polarizing because of its nature.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Dude, it has a metacritic rating of 79 (quite good). So... I don't know what you're talking about.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlasherMan
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    Dude, it has a metacritic rating of 79 (quite good). So... I don't know what you're talking about.
    Didn't you know? Anything below a 90 on MC is practically shit.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @maskedarcstrike said:
    I really used to respect Gametrailers opinion. 
    I really haven't looked at GameTrailers the same way since Modern Warfare 2 won PS3, 360, PC, and Overall GOTY back in 2009. I can understand the 360 version, maybe the PS3 version, but PC? Really?

On topic, as much as I love Suda games, this was really never going to be more than a niche title. It'd be nice if those who constantly complain about not wanting to play another military shooter would get this, but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

I think the rift in reviews will go two ways, people who don't like dick jokes and those who can see that the game knows it's over the top with dick jokes and can get behind that humor.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

What are you talking about?

Most reviewers seem to like the game.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By c_rakestraw
    @SlasherMan said:
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    Indeed. Only games a 90 rating on Metacritic are worthwhile these days in the eyes of the public. Anything less is unacceptable.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @SlasherMan said:
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    No kidding, I just went through MC's list of 30 Games that were in Development Hell. They were talking about games with 86 scores as "not being well recieved". Its madness. 

@Marz said:
    I think the rift in reviews will go two ways, people who don't like dick jokes and those who can see that the game knows it's over the top with dick jokes and can get behind that humor.

Honestly, I'm on the 3rd Act or so and the dick jokes aren't nearly as prevalent as they are in the beginning. The humor and storytelling start to get a little more complicated and varied. They still pop up now and again, but its more than a one trick pony.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By turboman

people went to Gametrailers for their reviews?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

Since Giant Bomb liked it like I do, I like Giant Bomb. If it were the other way around, I'd be shitting on this site since they just don't understand.

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Revenant86
    @maskedarcstrike: gametrailers gets paid by the big companies
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777

They had me at Garcia Fucking Hotspur and the dick jokes are just icing on the cake.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

icing on the cake.

I think you mean... well, you know what I mean...
    Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Liquidus

Well, I don't know all about the rest of y'all but I fucking love the shit out of this game. Easily some of the most pure unadulterated fun I've had in a video game since probably Vanquish or Bayonetta. I just love the way Mikami does gameplay and mixed with Suda51's crazy style and Akira Yamaoka's awesome soundtrack, it's the perfect kind of game for me. The only thing it lacks is some replay value, seriously you can essentially see all of this game's content in 10 hours and there's nothing else to bite your teeth into? No new game+ would be fine if there was some challenge mode thing or unlockable weapons but nothing of the sort. Which is a shame because that means I'm gonna move on from this game a lot sooner than I thought I would.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @Zippedbinders said:
    It'd be nice if those who constantly complain about not wanting to play another military shooter would get this, but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen. 

Totally agree with what your saying there. 
     @FluxWaveZ:   I guess I may be over exaggerating a bit, I do find it kind of funny Game Informer gave it the highest rating with a score of 93 though. 
    SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SpartyOn
    @maskedarcstrike: you played it?  Is it worth paying 60 bucks for?  I was considering getting it but I don't know anyone who played it except all the reviewers
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @davissc9:  I bought it and have beaten it on normal, you can check my achievements.

It's really worth playing IMO, if you like 3rd person shooters like RE4 or 5 or even Dead Space for that matter and want something different you will love it.  

Now is it worth $60 bucks is a tough question, it really just depends on your own personal situation.  If I didn't have much money to spend on buying games I would at least rent it no problem.  It really depends on if your okay with buying games with little replay value, yes there is a hard difficulty but there is no real incentive to come back other than that or for fun.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Yanngc33

Boner jokes gotta love em

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

@SlasherMan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Unfortunately, your sarcasm speaks truth.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

Reviews don't affect sales as much as you think they do. They sway a very small minority that read them. The game, like all games, will live or die based on word of mouth.

In reality this game has very little in the way of recognition (not many ads and stuff, i didn't even know about its existence until Alex's review) so really it will be the people who play it and spread the word that will dictate any kind of success for this game.

If it makes you feel better, though, I was pretty much sold by Alex's review; the quick look pushed me over the line. I really want to play it- been debating getting it tomorrow (later today).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I'm buying it

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ajamafalous said:

@SlasherMan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

No it doesn't. We're talking about Shadows of the Damned, a game that many people like and that is  definitely not shit and it has a metacritic rating below 90. If you're the type to only play games that have an MC rating above 90 then fine, but don't label all games as having scores inferior to that as shit.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Azteck
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @ajamafalous said:

@SlasherMan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

No it doesn't. We're talking about Shadows of the Damned, a game that many people like and that is  definitely not shit and it has a metacritic rating below 90. If you're the type to only play games that have an MC rating above 90 then fine, but don't label all games as having scores inferior to that as shit.
    I think he was agreeing with y'all..
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Azteck said: 
    If so, the way he phrased it was pretty unclear.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dingofighter

So they are jaded because they don't give a game you like to good score?
    I also want more unique games, but I don't think this game looks that good, does that make me jaded as well?

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phish09
    @maskedarcstrike said:
    After seeing Brad and Jeff come off liking Shadows a lot after the quick look and Alex giving the good review I'm happy to see that GB isn't completely jaded like other sites have become.  It's truly a unique and good title.  Other sites have been bashing this game terribly which I'm really starting to see the reviewers on those sites are just completely jaded like IGN and Gametrailers, and I really used to respect Gametrailers opinion.  If it's a AAA title from a huge development studio with tons of money to spend you get at least a 9 no questions asked but if your the small guy and do something different you get screwed.   It's just I like unique games like this and I like to see them continuing being made.  I don't want to see just sequels of huge mainstream titles and stupid casual games which is what the industry is becoming.  When a game like this gets 6.5s from sites it hurts MAJORLY sales wise.  This game deserves much better than that to.
    What are you going on about?

1.  IGN gave it a pretty favorable review.  Did you even read it?  You have to understand that a review is more than a number.

2.  What do you mean "If it's a AAA title from a huge development studio with tons of money to spend you get at least a 9 no questions asked but if your the small guy and do something different you get screwed"?  Duke Nukem had one of the biggest budgets out of any game in history and it was critically panned across the board, whereas a game like Super Meat Boy or Limbo were both critical darlings...so you're argument holds no water.

3.  Shinji Mikami and Suda51 are hardly small time developers.  Their names alone will ensure this game sees some pretty big sales numbers, so I wouldn't worry about that part, especially since you don't stand to see any money from the sales of this game, so you're whole post here just makes you sound like a whiny fanboy.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tebbit

The Gamespot review is incredibly positive.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous

@Azteck said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @ajamafalous said:

@SlasherMan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

No it doesn't. We're talking about Shadows of the Damned, a game that many people like and that is definitely not shit and it has a metacritic rating below 90. If you're the type to only play games that have an MC rating above 90 then fine, but don't label all games as having scores inferior to that as shit.

I was :(

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ajamafalous said: 

I was :(

I'm sorry, my bad.
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By CastroCasper

@Marz said:

I never really understood what constituted as a game knowing it's ridiculous or not. I found myself doing the good, "ugggggh" more times during Shadows than like, Bulletstorm. However, both games feel like someone just said, "Let's create a crazy, dick-filled game," I don't really see the sarcasm I guess.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By Icemael
    @phish09 said:
    Shinji Mikami and Suda51 are hardly small time developers.  Their names alone will ensure this game sees some pretty big sales numbers
    No. 

God Hand did not sell a lot. Vanquish did not sell a lot. Killer7 did not sell a lot. 

I could go on.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By donchipotle

Killer7 remains my favorite Suda game, but this game is a close, close second. It's just pure fun.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Icemael said:

@phish09 said:
    Shinji Mikami and Suda51 are hardly small time developers. Their names alone will ensure this game sees some pretty big sales numbers
    No. God Hand did not sell a lot. Vanquish did not sell a lot. Killer7 did not sell a lot. I could go on.

How did No More Heroes sell?

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ChickenPants

...It's fucking DNF all over again.

It's stupid that you're glad that Giant Bomb and Alex ''love this game''. Jeff and Brad could well end up hating it by the time they play more. Alex is just one guy who happened to like the game. The websites you mentioned are just examples of guys who didn't like the game. Stop with the ''site supporting certain games'' bullshit. Just because they don't like a game you like doesn't mean they're jaded - get a fucking grip.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kishinfoulux
    @Zippedbinders said:
    @maskedarcstrike said:
    I really used to respect Gametrailers opinion. 
    I really haven't looked at GameTrailers the same way since Modern Warfare 2 won PS3, 360, PC, and Overall GOTY back in 2009. I can understand the 360 version, maybe the PS3 version, but PC? Really? On topic, as much as I love Suda games, this was really never going to be more than a niche title. It'd be nice if those who constantly complain about not wanting to play another military shooter would get this, but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.
    You can thank Shane Satterfield for that. Dude's the biggest COD fanboy out there.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By coakroach

Giant Bomb likes crazy.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Icemael
    @Cloudenvy said:

@Icemael said:

@phish09 said:
    Shinji Mikami and Suda51 are hardly small time developers. Their names alone will ensure this game sees some pretty big sales numbers
    No. God Hand did not sell a lot. Vanquish did not sell a lot. Killer7 did not sell a lot. I could go on.

How did No More Heroes sell?

Around half a million, I think. Good for a Suda game. The sequel sold less.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Icemael said:

@phish09 said:

Resident Evil sold a shitton. Always has. In every rendition.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @phish09: You can hardly compare Limbo and Super Meat Boy to this, while I loved them both I'm not talking about arcade titles that are $15 I'm talking about full $60 release games.  With the production quality of a game like Shadows there's no way you could release it at $15.

DNF may have had tons of money behind it at first but it was hardly from a respected, huge developer.  It was also a one hit wonder franchise that has been dormant for 12 years.  What I'm talking about is franchises like Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Elder Scrolls.  While they are all great franchises the industry is turning into you see either those franchises or casual games.  Development studios who make "pretty good" games have shut down left and right due to high development costs. 

I also stated that I probably over exaggerated about review scores earlier in the thread, heck Game Informer gave it the best review out there with a 93.

While I may be a tad bit whiny I just hate to see this studio shut down, although typically Japanese studios have less of a chance to shut down I've noticed than western studios.

@Cloudenvy
    NMH actually sold pretty well, plus with the fact that it was a Wii game I'm sure they made some decent profit due to low development costs.  Or at least I hope they did, I could be wrong.  Searched on google and found an article that it had shipped 500k copies worldwide.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @maskedarcstrike said:
    While I may be a tad bit whiny I just hate to see this studio shut down, although typically Japanese studios have less of a chance to shut down I've noticed than western studios.

If NMH2 sales couldn't sink Grasshopper, I'm pretty sure nothing will. The worst thing that could happen is that EA doesn't publish any more of their games. Grasshopper is pretty good at stretching a small budget a long way.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#45  Edited By Hector

So far I've only heard good things from this game outside of GB and so far I agree, I love this game!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Icemael
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Icemael said:

@phish09 said:

But not because Mikami's name was attached. So I really don't see what point you're trying to make.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Right.. when Giant Bomb join in on the mindless bashing, we all agree the game sucks and that none of those sites are jaded (DNF) 
     But when Giant Bomb loves the game while others dont, others are jaded and GB is awesome (SotD) 

lol man.. so laughable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Icemael said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Icemael said:

@phish09 said:

But not because Mikami's name was attached. So I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

Shinji Mikami is definitely bigtime enough that games get greenlit based on his name alone.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aronman789

People need to learn that if you like a game and others don't, that doesn't mean you can't keep liking it. REVIEWS ARE OPINIONS. Christ.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.