Sad to see the best game of the year not get nominated

#1 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -

Fuck the haterz!

At least this game was a breath of fresh air in a sea of sequels. It had a great quirky storyline with lots of personality and great dialogue. It was the only game that actually made me smile because of it's humor and an entire chapter of the game was pretty much one big love letter to "Evil Dead". Damn I love this game. The music by Akira Yamaoka also helped ofcourse in making this a great and at times surprisingly moody piece of entertainment.

My personal favorite of 2011. If nothing else it was refreshing.

#2 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

Where did this not get nominated? I'm sure it'll get mentioned by someone somewhere.

#3 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

To be game of the year it has to be so much more than "refreshing".

#4 Posted by AssInAss (2541 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

What? Most games of the year are nominated BECAUSE they are refreshing! Most games are good, but to elevate them to be GoTY they have to be something new. Bioshock? Gears of War? Batman Arkham Asylum? Portal? Mirror's Edge? Witcher? Hello!

#5 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I absolutely loved the feel of the shooting. It was responsive and as meaty as I'd hoped, plus the enemies reacted like they were being hit by a train.

...but, that's probably as far as it goes. The design felt like something from 2005, and the controls were somewhat clunky. Obviously the story was light-hearted and amusing, but it grew tiresome pretty quickly, and the side-scroller sections were too long and too frequent.

I still haven't finished it, but despite how it sounds I actually really enjoyed my time with the game.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

I thought Portal 2 was funnier

#7 Edited by Stete (722 posts) -

I would give this the best soundrack of the year but definitely not the best game. The art design was fine, the voice acting was genuienly funny while being completely juvenile, and as mentioned soundtrack was brilliant. But the gameplay ranged from average to just plain bad (the taste my big boner section was perhaps the worst gaming experience Ive had all year).

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

Fucking opinions how do they work?

#9 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3184 posts) -

My mind started to go numb after the second chapter. The game stopped introducing new enemies and weapons and the whole experience started to get tiresome. I just wanted it to fucking end.

#10 Posted by Galiant (2178 posts) -

See, there's this thing called "opinion"...

#11 Posted by Lazyaza (2166 posts) -

I liked Shadows but goty nominee? lol no. It had a cool story, great characters, brilliant writing and really memorable boss fights but almost everything else about it was pretty sub-par and kinda broken and janky. We're talking about a shooter where the shotgun sucks so bad you can miss with it at point blank.

#12 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

Yep, I agree with most people here. Great game, great enough for me to S-Rank it even with not-stacking difficulties. But not GOTY material to me.

#13 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Galiant said:

Yep and I'm expressing mine. So what's the problem fuzzyballs?

#14 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

All I could take of it was 3 hours split between 3 sessions, then I returned it to the libeary. Charming and funny at times but the gameplay really drags it down. Even the hilarious shop keeper could not make me play more of it.

#15 Edited by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Galiant said:

• Your post title is not worded as an opinion but as a general fact.
  • AND it is simultaneously implying that those lists that don't have it as a goty nominee are somehow wrong.
  • Said implication is also derogatory to opinions of others by the use of the word "Sad"
#16 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

It's not the game parts of Shadows of the Damned that I found the greatest, it was everything else, still made my top ten though.

#17 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

Shadows deserved more sales and a spot in the top ten of 2011, but GOTY? No. I love Suda51's games, but without a new game plus mode, it just didn't work properly. I loved the shooting, and the jokes were entertaining...apart from the beginning when the dick jokes were overused.

I did enjoy Shadows, it did some great things, had some amazing music, the books you find are intertwined with the story, and are a funny little sidebar, and the story is damn fine, if not a little confusing if you take a break from it. Some of the characters were actually pretty memorable, and the boss fights were top notch, with only games like Arkham City pulling out good boss fights this year, that's one hell of an achievement. The evil dead homage level was also freaking sweet.

I'd love to have seen a horde mode-esque game type in it though, would have worked well with the weapon variation and the shooting mechanics.

Overall, Shadows is an amazing game that suffers from one, pure, annoying issue: it doesn't have the content to back what was a damn fine game.

#18 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

If the whole game is roughly the same as the material that was in the quick look, I don't see how it couldn't get boring for everyone who played it, regardless of how good the story or music was.

#19 Posted by Galiant (2178 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Castiel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Galiant said:

• AND it is simultaneously implying that those lists that don't have it as a goty nominee are somehow wrong.
  • Said implication is also derogatory to opinions of others by the use of the word "Sad"
#20 Edited by Castiel (2528 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Castiel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Galiant said:

Hmm my words most be more powerful than I imagined. Apparently I have to end every sentence on this FORUM, you know a public place to voice your opinions, with a IMHO or else people think that I speak the law.

Duly noted... IMHO. (Hmm that didn't quite make sense in that context but what the heck I guess I just have to do that from now on)

#21 Posted by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

@Castiel:

/woosh

#22 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

Shadows of The Damned was far from one of the best of the year. Coming from the combined might of Shinji and Suda (Akira done his job since the soundtrack was a beast) I'd say it's one of the most disappointing of the year, if anything.

#23 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Castiel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Galiant said:

Hmm my words most be more powerful than I imagined. Apparently I have to end every sentence on this FORUM, you know a public place to voice your opinions, with a IMHO or else people think that I speak the law.

Duly noted... IMHO. (Hmm that didn't quite make sense in that context but what the heck I guess I just have to do that from now on)

We all know the difference between objective and subjective statements. No need to completely discount someone's opinion because they didn't add "I think" or "in my opinion" to it. It's implied.

#24 Posted by Milkman (16515 posts) -

I like this game a helluva lot but best game of the year? No.

#25 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@Castiel: I feel compelled to post this here. Please excuse me.

#26 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

they're on sale right now! 75% off!!

#27 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I like dick jokes and all, but the gameplay was kind of bad.

#28 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

Shadows of The Damned was far from one of the best of the year. Coming from the combined might of Shinji and Suda (Akira done his job since the soundtrack was a beast) I'd say it's one of the most disappointing of the year, if anything.

Pretty much this. I expected something with shooter combat comparable to that of Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish (or at least P.N. 03), and an unrivaled amount of wacky fun. Instead I got something that plays worse than anything Mikami has directed from 2003 and onward, and while it certainly had plenty of wacky fun, it wasn't exactly the tour de force of insanity I expected from the guy behind God Hand and the guy behind No More Heroes joining forces.
#29 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Definitely thinking of people this up sometime soon. The Quick Look the guys did was hillarious, and I'm willing to overlook the supposedly janky gameplay.

#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda:

The main issue was never the OP's statement of his opinion as fact but the dismissal/questioning of opinions of others by the post title. Hence the 2 comments.

Also hence the /woosh

#31 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Fuck opinions.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Stete said:

I would give this the best soundrack of the year but definitely not the best game. The art design was fine, the voice acting was genuienly funny while being completely juvenile, and as mentioned soundtrack was brilliant. But the gameplay ranged from average to just plain bad (the taste my big boner section was perhaps the worst gaming experience Ive had all year).

TAASTE MYE BEEG BON-AIR. 

I agree with this.
#33 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -
@AssInAss

@CptChiken said:

What? Most games of the year are nominated BECAUSE they are refreshing! Most games are good, but to elevate them to be GoTY they have to be something new. Bioshock? Gears of War? Batman Arkham Asylum? Portal? Mirror's Edge? Witcher? Hello!

Ok so they have to be something new? That's why sequels have been goty every year on this site.
#34 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I enjoyed the game's sense of style and it was a fun experience overall, but I don't think it's GOTY material.

#35 Posted by AssInAss (2541 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@AssInAss

@CptChiken said:

Ok so they have to be something new? That's why sequels have been goty every year on this site.

No, just have been some really good sequels this year and not much new IPs.

#36 Posted by YoThatLimp (1879 posts) -

Man don't get what everyone is saying about bad gameplay. Playing through it now and loving it. I did just finish playing 30 hours of Deadly Premonition though.

#37 Edited by falling_fast (2183 posts) -

I liked Shadows of the Damned, but I also acknowledge that the giantbomb crew have their own opinions, and that just because I like something doesn't mean that everyone else has to as well :/

also, it's no skyrim or portal 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.