Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadows of the Damned

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

As demon hunter Garcia "F**king" Hotspur, players must venture into Hell itself in order to rescue Paula, Garcia's innocent girlfriend, from the sadistic torments of Fleming, the Lord of Demons.

Your Friend and Mine, Garcia Effin' Hotspur

• 136 results
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Meowshi
    @Sagalla said:
     "There are very few good playing, genuinely funny video game... Shadows of the Damned is one of them"... Well, would you be saying that if you weren't trying too hard to make a story here, and possibly ingratiate yourself to the developers?? 
    Oh shut up.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Aetheldod

Humor is not a selling point for me and truly the gameplay that I saw ((Resident evil 4 type) didn't appealed to me , so I won't play the game , simple as that

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By GT-Man

dumb blonde! even though Im one myself
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By dragonzord
    @Aetheldod don't care
    Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Sagalla
    @Meowshi: I'm sorry, do you have something to add? Or do you just like to randomly insult people?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By mutha3

Love articles like this. Keep up the good work.

Normal folks don't have videogame industry connections.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57  Edited By Seppli

The thing is, all the marketing in the world wouldn't make me buy 'Shadows of the Damned' at full price. I've seen all the trailers and such and I thought it was cool and all, but definitely something I'd only purchase in a bargain-bin-type of deal.

Don't make a B-movie-type of game and expect me to shell out 60$ on release day. I might have jumped for 39$ at release. I might not have. I might buy it for 29$. I might not play it at all.

Dick jokes and batshit crazyness don't make a game, especially if I'd rather play more of something I love rather than spending time on some outdatedly designed 3rd person shooter with a fresh crazy lick of paint being its only claim for fame.

Tacobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Tacobot

Great article Mr.Klepek

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By chilibean_3

I don't know. Just going by the Quicklooks the game's humor seemed to be at the exact same level as Duke Nukem. And both seemed to have pretty boring gameplay.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jozzy

The game looked alright, but typical rental/bargain bin fodder for me. No offence meant by it because I see most games that way.

I know it's quality over quantity,but I expect at least 30 hours of fun out of a full priced retail game. There are tons of games that offer both quantity and quality and this game is competing with those games, in my opinion unfavourably.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By onan

@Sagalla said:

Have to say this article is a really weird blend of interview, editorial and school report... "Shadows of the damned was widely praised by critics"... Really?? "There are very few good playing, genuinely funny video game... Shadows of the Damned is one of them"... Well, would you be saying that if you weren't trying too hard to make a story here, and possibly ingratiate yourself to the developers?? I hope not because this game has nothing on the older Monkey Island games, truly some of "the few good playing, genuinely funny games". I personally thought Duke Nukem was funnier - I don't see how you can claim the opposite is true as if it is some kind of truism - the humor in either of these games is hardly a a strong selling point at all...

Here's a truism: Game X is better than Duke Nukem Forever. I haven't even played game X, but it's still better than DNF. The point of this story is that SotD was criminally under-appreciated, and that point is really brought home when simultaneously, an abortion like DNF can be a million-seller. As someone who also enjoyed the Monkey Island games, you need to hunt down everyone involved in that project, starting with Tim Schaefer, and apologize for even comparing their game to DNF.

Two problems really plagued Shadows of the Damned that weren't touched on in this article: First, there's no demo. They had demos they brought to trade shows, right? There was no reason not to release one for people on the fence. Second, and more importantly, the name is one of the most generic titles ever conceived of by man. Even now I'm mentally having to remind myself that something called "Shadows of the Damned" is a good game and worth purchasing. It screams "be skeptical of me". They would have sold at least another 200,000 copies if they had named the game "Garcia Hotspur's Damned Shadows". That's a terrible title and STILL leagues better.

I'll admit, I don't own the game yet even though I want to, and most of that is hesitation. Regardless of all the positive press, I still have trouble parting with $60 sight unseen for something called "Shadows of the Damned". Every shred of common sense is screaming at me to run the other way even though rationally I know it's worth my time. If either of those issues were resolved (OR BOTH), I feel the game might have been a success.

I'll go ahead and make the comparison: This game is Kopi Luwak coffee. Tell me that's the most expensive coffee in the world, and I'll be interested in trying it. Tell me how they make it and I'd be off-put, but still pretty game. Name it with no thought for marketing, call it "Catsh!t Coffee", and regardless of how premium the price tag makes it, I'm going to hesitate paying for it. Even after falling in love with the flavor, if I had to offer guests a cup of delicious catsh!t coffee, I'd still kind of cringe. It's kind of like that.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#62  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Not too sure what to think about Lollipop. I'd agree with the majority that I enjoy the idea of Suda's games but man, they've not been a great experience to play (though Shadows of the Damned was fine).

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mutha3
    @Seppli: Uh....SOTD isn't Deadly Premonition.

How about actually checking out how the game has been received by fans of the genre and critics? The gameplay is good.
    Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sagalla
    @onan said:

@Sagalla said:

Have to say this article is a really weird blend of interview, editorial and school report... "Shadows of the damned was widely praised by critics"... Really?? "There are very few good playing, genuinely funny video game... Shadows of the Damned is one of them"... Well, would you be saying that if you weren't trying too hard to make a story here, and possibly ingratiate yourself to the developers?? I hope not because this game has nothing on the older Monkey Island games, truly some of "the few good playing, genuinely funny games". I personally thought Duke Nukem was funnier - I don't see how you can claim the opposite is true as if it is some kind of truism - the humor in either of these games is hardly a a strong selling point at all...

Here's a truism: Game X is better than Duke Nukem Forever. I haven't even played game X, but it's still better than DNF. The point of this story is that SotD was criminally under-appreciated, and that point is really brought home when simultaneously, an abortion like DNF can be a million-seller. As someone who also enjoyed the Monkey Island games, you need to hunt down everyone involved in that project, starting with Tim Schaefer, and apologize for even comparing their game to DNF.

Two problems really plagued Shadows of the Damned that weren't touched on in this article: First, there's no demo. They had demos they brought to trade shows, right? There was no reason not to release one for people on the fence. Second, and more importantly, the name is one of the most generic titles ever conceived of by man. Even now I'm mentally having to remind myself that something called "Shadows of the Damned" is a good game and worth purchasing. It screams "be skeptical of me". They would have sold at least another 200,000 copies if they had named the game "Garcia Hotspur's Damned Shadows". That's a terrible title and STILL leagues better.

I'll admit, I don't own the game yet even though I want to, and most of that is hesitation. Regardless of all the positive press, I still have trouble parting with $60 sight unseen for something called "Shadows of the Damned". Every shred of common sense is screaming at me to run the other way even though rationally I know it's worth my time. If either of those issues were resolved (OR BOTH), I feel the game might have been a success.

I'll go ahead and make the comparison: This game is Kopi Luwak coffee. Tell me that's the most expensive coffee in the world, and I'll be interested in trying it. Tell me how they make it and I'd be off-put, but still pretty game. Name it with no thought for marketing, call it "Catsh!t Coffee", and regardless of how premium the price tag makes it, I'm going to hesitate paying for it. Even after falling in love with the flavor, if I had to offer guests a cup of delicious catsh!t coffee, I'd still kind of cringe. It's kind of like that.

As for comparing DNF to the older Monkey Island games... I did no such thing, I think you misread my comment.  Anyway, I think Shadows of the Damned would of done better if it released on the PC as was originally planned, there is a shortage of quirky action titles like this on Steam... And yes, the title sucks no doubt about that
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By Seppli
    @mutha3 said:

@Seppli: Uh....SOTD isn't Deadly Premonition.  How about actually checking out how the game has been received by fans of the genre and critics? The gameplay is good.

It looks like a slightly modernized RE4 to me, with a fresh and crazy lick of paint and a tonne of dickjokes.

RE4 was a must-play game in its hayday. Shadows of the Damned is not. It's just not worth a 60$ purchase for me. I read quite a few reviews. None of them said it was anything but a competent and enjoyable RE4 clone; at least if one isn't putt-off by an orgy of dick jokes and double entendres. A 'good' game.

Good ain't good enough these days. In a sea of good games, I prefer to play stuff I love. Why do you fault me for that? Insecurity mayhaps? You bought it, played it and enjoyed it - I'm not gonna take that away from you.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By buzz_killington

I just finished Shadows of the Damned a few days ago. Very cool game, and the shooting and other mechanics were pretty tight, comparable to the Dead Space games. But something about it felt a little cobbled-together. I guess with reconstructing the game a few times, that sort of thing is inevitable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
    deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought this game but still haven't tried it. Will have to do so. Nice article.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By onan

@Sagalla said:

@onan said:

@Sagalla said:

As for comparing DNF to the older Monkey Island games... I did no such thing, I think you misread my comment. Anyway, I think Shadows of the Damned would of done better if it released on the PC as was originally planned, there is a shortage of quirky action titles like this on Steam... And yes, the title sucks no doubt about that

You pointed out that you didn't find Shadows of the Damned funny, and you gave the Monkey Island series as your 20 year old example of what you consider truly funny. Then you offered up DNF as a current example of what you consider funny in gaming today. That's a comparison. X > Y > Z.

monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By monkfishesq

The game looks amazing, but the second I realised that steve FUCKING blum was doing another shitty, bland, talentless voice for another game I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Seriously. It's fucking painful to listen to his fucking awful fake latino accent.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Sagalla
    @onan said:

@Sagalla said:

@onan said:

@Sagalla said:

As for comparing DNF to the older Monkey Island games... I did no such thing, I think you misread my comment. Anyway, I think Shadows of the Damned would of done better if it released on the PC as was originally planned, there is a shortage of quirky action titles like this on Steam... And yes, the title sucks no doubt about that

You pointed out that you didn't find Shadows of the Damned funny, and you gave the Monkey Island series as your 20 year old example of what you consider truly funny. Then you offered up DNF as a current example of what you consider funny in gaming today. That's a comparison. X > Y > Z.

Seeing as you like to argue semantics, let me be more clear.  I thought DNF was funnier than Shadows of the Damned, which I do not find even remotely funny.  Thus DNF only had to be very occasionally slightly funny, to be more funny.  I also made it quite clear that the humour was not great in either game.  The article talks as if Shadows of the Damned is so funny, that it can be considered along side great funny games like the early Lucasarts adventure games - I find this ridiculous.   

I like giantbomb for its quality over quantity approach to articles.  But some of Patrick's articles are full of hyperbole and make this place seem closer in tone to Kotaku or something. 
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I love the 8-4 guys and the podcast is great! This is also a fantastic write-up, lot of hate being thrown around in comments though :<

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Meowshi
    @Sagalla said:
    @Meowshi: I'm sorry, do you have something to add? Or do you just like to randomly insult people?  
    If you don't want to be insulted, don't start throwing around baseless accusations of bias.  Twit.  
    YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By YOUNGLINK

This game was amazing. It needed marketing and new game +.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was put off thematically by those fucking 'boner' trailers, and saw from the QL that the gameplay is nothing special, meaning I have NO reason to play this game. 

Carneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Carneous

Great article!

Really cool of you to give this game more attention, seems it slipped under a lot of peoples radars, such a shame it didn't sell.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sagalla
    @Meowshi said:
    @Sagalla said:
    If you don't want to be insulted, don't start throwing around baseless accusations of bias.  Twit.  
    Thanks for that.  You get bonus points for not realising that was a rhetorical question - do you have any more charming comments, or will that be all for today?? 
    Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Stubee

Interesting article but im afraid the game did not click with me at all. I appreciate its charms but as a game its very linear, generic and downright janky (weapon switching in particular) .

Still, articles like this are why i love you Patrick! SOD definitely doesn't deserve to be immediately forgotten.

Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By Overwatch

I played this game only for a couple of hours, but it was realy entertaining.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#79  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

Just finished this game over the weekend and LOVED it. Yes, the core gameplay mechanics can be considered "archaic" and it's a bit glitchy, but I think there's enough variety in the gameplay and the light/dark mechanics that it held my interest throughout. I also dug the humor and "charm" from the quicklook enough to warrant a purchase, and it did not disappoint. I know it's not for everyone, but it's a little sad that it didn't do better.

I just wish they'd stack the achievements for beating the game and add New Game+

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Shaanyboi

I will always buy Suda's weird shit.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DonPixel

Slow news day I guess.. yup I rented it, never finished it. Not bad yet not terrific by any means.. but opinions

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#82  Edited By Mystyr_E

probably the only Suda game I didn't care for. I'm glad he's as weird as he is but that one didn't click at all

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mutha3
    @Seppli said:

A 'good' game. Good ain't good enough these days. In a sea of good games, I prefer to play stuff I love. Why do you fault me for that? Insecurity mayhaps? You bought it, played it and enjoyed it - I'm not gonna take that away from you.

This is the reason 99% of game reviews are inundated with hyperbole.

The 99% statistic isn't even hyperbole.
    rob_lindsay23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By rob_lindsay23

Enjoyed the combat but couldn't bring myself to laugh at the abundance of bad dick jokes.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

This kind of stuff makes me so depressed. Shadows of the Damned was fantastic. Of the 35 or so games from 2011 I have finished, it's in the top 5.

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Really enjoyed this game. I probably won't be one of my top ten games of the year, but it was still well worth playing. The exchanges between Garcia and Johnson, especially when reading the storybooks, were just golden.

ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME

@MonkfishEsq: I honestly didn't even realize Steve Blum was Garcia Hotspur until now.

Usually he always does the exact same voice (When he's not busy being a Chaos Lord in DoW2)

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By bkbroiler

One of the things I was kind of surprised about with Shadows of the Damned was how beautiful it looks visually. Something about the lighting and artistic design... I'm not sure. It looks really unique. Fun to play, too. Satisfying shooting.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
    I was put off thematically by those fucking 'boner' trailers, and saw from the QL that the gameplay is nothing special, meaning I have NO reason to play this game. 
    I don't know how many times I watched the Enlarge your Johnsn.trailer, but everytime I laughed at it, loving it and wishing more poeple would have the balls to make something like it. 
    darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By darkvare

so i hated no more heroes and was gonna give this game a try so i rented it and hated it as much as no more heros so no buying this game ever maybe after i find it used at like 5 bucks not worth more than that for me

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mnzy
    @bkbroiler said:

One of the things I was kind of surprised about with Shadows of the Damned was how beautiful it looks visually. Something about the lighting and artistic design... I'm not sure. It looks really unique. Fun to play, too. Satisfying shooting.

I know what you mean. My guess is that it's some kind of update on the Unreal Engine.
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ozzdog12

I rented it on Gamefly  and LOVE every minute of it. I would've bought it had I not had other things that needed my attention first. And the funny thing is is that people are going to bitch about all these sequels and spin-offs and nothing original, but when something fresh comes out, nobody buys it, myself included, but at least i paid to play it.....

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#93  Edited By Little_Socrates

I've been waiting to borrow TWO copies of this game for something like two months and neither person who owns the game has finished it. They're BOTH in Act 5 and have been since roughly the start of July.

edeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By edeo

It's pretty clear why this game failed and Catherine succeeded.

When I heard the premise of the game it sounded just like Dante's Inferno. Another journey through the underworld to save your girlfriend. All of the quirkiness sounds pretty superficial, unlike Catherine which had a very novel style of gameplay mixed with some light decision-making.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#95  Edited By Y2Ken

I had a great time with Shadows.

Also... I totally already have the soundtrack. It came with my copy of the game (online preorder version although I got it just after release) - perhaps that was a UK thing?

NoTicket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By NoTicket
    @Bwast
    I didn't find what I saw of Shadows of the Damned funny at all. It was a little sad, actually. A bunch of grown men giggling over a gun called boner. It just reeks of sexual frustration. That said, glad they're going to continue doing what they do. It's always interesting, that's for sure.
    I'm pretty sure laughing over boner guns is just a sign of being a dude that understands camp.

Getting self-righteous over boner guns is a sign of having nothing better to do.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Enigma777

Bought a copy last week. I encourage everyone elso to get it as well, because it's pretty damn great.

reson8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By reson8er

I feel a sense of pride in the fact that I got this gem on launch day, pre-ordered no less.  I took a sort of gamble on the talent of the team assembled and that gamble made me very happy.  I enjoyed the game, and will go back to it again when a lull happens. I look forward to Lollipop Chainsaw and all the insanity and hilarity that it will bring.  I truely hope Suda has a hit, this man needs to be able to keep making games, the industry would duller without him.

IRONSKULL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By IRONSKULL87

Maybe a demo on 360 & PS3 would help sells a little.  I plan on picking this one up real soon.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Ronald

Considering there is an entire chapter that is constant Evil Dead references, yes this game is very Sam Raimi. That's part of what makes it so great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.