Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shattered Horizon

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2009

Shattered Horizon is an online multiplayer first-person shooter by Futuremark Games Studio that makes heavy use of zero gravity environments.

Shattered Horizon

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Finally somebody's making the zero gravity FPS I've wanted for over a decade.

PC. Thank you, Futuremark (yes, the developers of the PC benchmark 3DMark).
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jimi

That looks like it could get very disorienting, could be cool though.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well Crysis experimented with it of course. I think It looks cool..those magnet boots should bring in some good stealth gameplay. 

I will be keeping an eye on this. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

Settings looks nice, but as a FPS i'm not sure.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Some great impressions from the beta. I love the sound of the stealth mechanics.

One of the more awesome things that was done during the beta was the "expansion" of melee skills. From what I can tell the developers didn't intend for melee combat to be so highly used in the game, and by the end of the beta something like 10% of all kills were melee kills. Basically the end of your gun has a bayonet of some sort on it, and when you melee a person you one-hit kill them since ripping open someone's suit in space would kill them. They also added a mode thanks to this increase in melee killing that allows you to power down your suit and take yourself off radar and cause your jet packs to power down, giving you very difficult range of motion, but making it incredibly hard to see a character once stealthed, because really your only 3 ways of telling whether an enemy is around is by either a) seeing their jetpack light, b) seeing them on radar (hard to do this sometimes), or c) hearing them approach you. With all 3 of these gone it makes the stealth mode incredibly lethal. Of course when you are stealthed though, your entire HUD goes away, you have limited range of motion, and you cannot tether yourself to an object, making sniping entirely useless.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Impressions sound good, it's nice to know it has the strong stealth element I thought it might have after looking at the video. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

So.... I'm aware that there's no sound in space, but does that really sound like it would translate well in a game?

Also, the jetpack looks like a beast to control.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Gargantuan

This looks very interesting, I might preorder it. 

"because really your only 3 ways of telling whether an enemy is around is by either a) seeing their jetpack light, b) seeing them on radar (hard to do this sometimes), or c) hearing them approach you." This does make it sound like you can hear everything in space though, which would not be realistic. 
    You should be able to hear your gun (the sound wave goes through your body) but not other people in space.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Gargantuan said:

" This looks very interesting, I might preorder it. 

"because really your only 3 ways of telling whether an enemy is around is by either a) seeing their jetpack light, b) seeing them on radar (hard to do this sometimes), or c) hearing them approach you." This does make it sound like you can hear everything in space though, which would not be realistic.  You should be able to hear your gun (the sound wave goes through your body) but not other people in space.   "

Perhaps they mean vibrations. Vibrations on surfaces travel easier in space when no wave energy is spent travelling through air as sound.  
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

They probably mean normal sound. I don't think they're so sales-suicidal as to launch a nearly 100% mute game, despite the realism.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Al3xand3r

said:

" They probably mean normal sound. I don't think they're so sales-suicidal as to launch a nearly 100% mute game, despite the realism. "

If they mean normal sound the game would lack environmental realism in a game which attempts it clearly elsewhere, it would make this game conceptually dumb if it does. What it should do is have music akin to something like space odyssey.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

It can always be a server option, and I don't think it's so dumb to have a mix of realism and arcade elements anyway considering that's how popular shooters like Modern Warfare and Counter-Strike worked, and worked out fine for pretty much everyone...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Thiswould be lame though, if you couldn't hear weapons fire but could hear footsteps of NPC's, it would be a glaringly obvious and a comical flaw to players.  

What makes this game potentially good is using the unique environmental conditions to create a unique shooter. If it diverts from that, I will lose interest. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well I'm only speculating but I imagine that if they had sound they'd have it for the weapon fire also regardless of the video lacking those, not just footsteps. What vibrations would you hear anyway if the enemy is not actually on any surface but just jets around to your location? Sound or no, the environment and range of movement remains extremely unique compared to most FPS titles. I think mute should be an option still, I'd prefer the realism you prefer but I understand that it's not something the majority of the PC install base could feel comfortable with and I wouldn't fault them if they accomodate for that. Most space shooters I've played had unrealistic sound conditions anyway, but Freespace 2 was still great. Anyway, I won't be playing it any time soon since it's Direct X 10+ only.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

I was in the beta, NDA has been up a while now.  It's not a very good game, and on the closed beta forums most people felt the same.  It's just really simple as a online MP game, too simple.  If anyone has any specific questions I can answer them, but I didn't play the beta in the later phases because literally all the beta players stopped playing.

edit - actually 'not very good' isn't appropriate.  It's a boring game that won't hold peoples' interest.  It's a poor quality game.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By BigBoss1911

Looks cool but I think Id rather it be an third person shooter.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Geno

Futuremark made this? Weird. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r:  

I will wait on a proper preview from a credible site.  The game's good in concept, but I naturally must doubt the likes of unproven Futuremark to flesh it out.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Linkyshinks:
    @Al3xand3r:
    I'm with LinkysShinks. Keep it real. Hearing the pounding vibrations of your gun as it recoils into you and up your body would be cool. Having proximity-triggered dynamic Space Odyssey-esque music would be seriously awesome. But once you introduce even the option of some gunfire or footsteps, even if you don't use it, it still ruins the feel of the game in your mind.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @Linkyshinks:
    @Al3xand3r: I'm with LinkysShinks. Keep it real. Hearing the pounding vibrations of your gun as it recoils into you and up your body would be cool. Having proximity-triggered dynamic Space Odyssey-esque music would be seriously awesome. But once you introduce even the option of some gunfire or footsteps, even if you don't use it, it still ruins the feel of the game in your mind. "

I had hoped someone would find that idea awesome : P
    Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Everybody_Poops

I have a huge potential boner for this game.
    I've taken my belt off and I've typed the URL into the address bar. I'm just waiting for Mom to GTFO so I can go inverted and blow my FPS skills all over some dunce's face + tits.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

I said I would prefer that also, but it's not something that hampered my enjoyment of past space games that chose to not keep it real all that much in the end. And I stated I was only speculating, I do not know what they actually did with the game, but since they mentioned hearing in that quote I assumed they have sound. Maybe they don't. So, I'm also "with" Linky in wanting it to be like that, without sound, but not "with" Linky in saying that having sound alone is a sure way to make the game bad as there are many ways it can be good and unique even so (whether it is, or not, I cannot say as I haven't played it). I definitely don't think an option for it would kill it either as it would be as good as nonexistent for players who wanted it so as long as the server can enforce it. Plenty of games have various rulesets to play with and one plays what he enjoys the most without caring about the others if he doesn't find them good. And those new screens are damn gorgeous Linky.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @Linkyshinks:
    @Al3xand3r: I'm with LinkysShinks. Keep it real. Hearing the pounding vibrations of your gun as it recoils into you and up your body would be cool. Having proximity-triggered dynamic Space Odyssey-esque music would be seriously awesome. But once you introduce even the option of some gunfire or footsteps, even if you don't use it, it still ruins the feel of the game in your mind. "
     I had hoped someone would find that idea awesome : P "
    Absolutely, I'm right there with you guys. I am surprisingly hyped that this game works out, because the concept is awesome.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kblt
    @Diamond said:
    " I was in the beta, NDA has been up a while now.  It's not a very good game, and on the closed beta forums most people felt the same.  It's just really simple as a online MP game, too simple.  If anyone has any specific questions I can answer them, but I didn't play the beta in the later phases because literally all the beta players stopped playing.  edit - actually 'not very good' isn't appropriate.  It's a boring game that won't hold peoples' interest.  It's a poor quality game. "
    hurr durr im an attention whore pay attention to me derp derp doo
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Told ya they'd probably have sound to appeal to more people. Hopefully it's a server option to enable and enforce silent mode, but imo it still looks like a fun and not too conventional FPS given the freedom of movement.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

That freedom of movement has already been seen in other games, namely Crysis Wars Zero G Maps. 

Audio simulation - lame, my interest in this game has dropped to nil. As if you would be able to simulate a complex soundscape of this nature in real time. The game has no integrity as a unique FPS.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

I guess I'll disagree. And wait to see if it is indeed an option. If you think it's so similar to Crysis Wars in so many wayrs then I seriously doubt you'd find it so very unique and special just because it chose to be mute anyway. Too bad. Looks like great fun to me in the vid + impressions while if it's considered bad I'm sure there will have to be plenty more wrong with it than people railing it due to the sound issue.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond

The beta had no extra sound options, in fact it was very low on options of any sort, gameplay, graphics, or anything.

The game doesn't try to be amazing in these ways some people are expecting.  It's a cheap, quick, very simple online MP shooter.  You have 1 gun with a few modes, and you see a guy and shoot him.  There are some objective modes, but that's it.

It's far far far simpler in gameplay than Halo, Quake, Unreal, Call of Duty or really anything else, which is my main problem with the game.  Faceball 2000 on SNES?  That had more depth.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Crono
    @Diamond said:
    " The beta had no extra sound options, in fact it was very low on options of any sort, gameplay, graphics, or anything.  The game doesn't try to be amazing in these ways some people are expecting.  It's a cheap, quick, very simple online MP shooter.  You have 1 gun with a few modes, and you see a guy and shoot him.  There are some objective modes, but that's it.  It's far far far simpler in gameplay than Halo, Quake, Unreal, Call of Duty or really anything else, which is my main problem with the game.  Faceball 2000 on SNES?  That had more depth. "

Simpler gameplay than Halo?  I doubt that is possible.  I think you need to give us your definition of gameplay.  You mean the game modes or what?  

Anyway, I have been interested in this game for some time but still refuse to pre-order it.  I want this to be good.  The freedom of movement among other mechanics is really awesome but I just don't want to commit to this game until I hear from more people who play lots of online multiplayer.  I am not about to listen to some "credible site" as nearly every game review site out there puts all their emphasis on single player games and experience and that is mainly what their reviewers/critics focus on unless there is co-op mode, then they will give multiplayer an in-depth look, but not for the competitive stuff it always gets a quick glance and little more than that unless it is a big budget title.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Diamond
    @Crono said:

Simpler gameplay than Halo?  I doubt that is possible.  I think you need to give us your definition of gameplay.  You mean the game modes or what?

I mean everything.  Halo has a large selection of weapons and vehicles, SH has 1 gun and no vehicles.  It's stuff like that, and I could go through a laundry list, but SH is WAYYY more simple than people who haven't played it are expecting.  I'd love the game if it had turned out like Descent, but it's definitely nothing like that.

Edit - I'll give one gameplay scenario to describe why SH's simplicity hurts it.  OK you're floating around in space, to your left is a bunch of rock, and you have no teammates around you.  You see someone, you start shooting, you've already won that firefight as long as you can keep a bead on the guy, and the areas are usually big and fairly open so that's not a problem.  You've won the fight as soon as you saw the guy before he saw you.  Add in teammates and it gets a bit more complex, but you can see how and why.

There are alt fire abilities like a smoke cloud, which makes people inside the cloud hard to see, and it's hard to see outside of the cloud.  There's a concussion blast, and an EMP blast.  You can switch to an EMP firing mode, but from when I played there was no reason because you might as well be killing a guy, not just disabling him for a while.

Maybe they've extensively tweaked the game, but even in the most extreme case SH is one of the simplest FPS ever made.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

"The one thing that left me absolutely astounded was the suit shutdown key. With the press of a button, your suit will shut down and stop responding. You will no longer have the ability to anchor to surfaces, or use jets for propulsion and stabilization (firing your weapon sends you flying in the opposite direction). The benefit of this tremendous vulnerability is stealth. You are invisible on radar when the suit is powered down.

The jaw dropping part of a suit shutdown is the presentation. Once you power down, you lose everything. The HUD dissolves away, the game chat disappears, and the audio drops out (the suit simulates audio since sound waves cannot travel in space). Once you’ve powered down, the only things you can hear are muffled gunfire from your weapon, your breathing, and your heartbeat. Everything else is completely silent. It is a stunning thing to experience in a game. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.