Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shaun White Skateboarding

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Oct 24, 2010

A skateboarding game starring Shaun White by Ubisoft Montreal. Brought to you by Stride gum!

Let's talk about how much of a DeBlob ripoff this is.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

When describing DeBlob to people, I have always likened it to a Tony Hawk game where you bring color back to a city. Naturally I was suprised to see Shaun White Skateboarding yesterday.

Personally, I don't mind seeing the exact same idea implemented into the game - it seems like they did quite a good job with it - but I hated how they seemed to pass it off as great new innovative idea when, apart from the custom rails, the painting of the city is a carbon copy of 2008's deBlob.

I think that if you use another game's concept so similarly, at least aknowledge the source.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Powerpuff Girls had an episode about bringing color back to a city. Pleasantville was a movie about bringing color into town. I love how a gamer will latch onto an idea from a game because its the first time he's seen it and ignore that it was done prior to the game then call anything that does it afterwords a "game x ripoff". No. Okay. De Blob is the first time you saw anything like this, it wasn't the first time anyone did this. And the Shaun White thing is by all accounts a completely different game in its execution.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Well duh, ryanwho, thank you for the mindblowing observation that there have been stories revolving around color brought back to a black and white scenery before.

DeBlob features a city made monochrome and dull by menacing forces, and a hero who liberates it by freely moving through parts of the city and fulfilling quests of dexterity, dynamically repainting and redesigning the city, transforming buildings and billboards wherever he goes.

Yes, this was the first time I saw anything like this, thankyouverymuch. And I see the exact same thing now in a new game of a genre DeBlob was always closest to.

And as I said: I like that they have done that. I might even get the game, it looks very good. I was simply questioning their method: Trying to pass off the colourful dynamic athletic liberator of the opressed monochrome open-world city as a new and exciting concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

o Fable 2 DLC 
    o Saboteur 
    o Prince Of Persia (2008) 

I bet there are plenty more.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By JackiJinx

So, just because one game did something similar to a new one, that means the new one isn't allowed to do it. What?

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Detrian

How many people even know or care about your shitty example of something that has been done before (and has been done even before it anyway)?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I did think passingly of De Blob while they demoed the game but I think this is very far from a carbon copy of De Blob. As has been posted above the concept of returning colour to a dull world was by no means invented by that game.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Endogene

Pretty straight up yeah. Some odd mix of a classic Tony Hawk game and that, looks fun though.  

@Gamer_152 said:

"

I did think passingly of De Blob while they demoed the game but I think this is very far from a carbon copy of De Blob. As has been posted above the concept of returning colour to a dull world was by no means invented by that game.

"
    You jump on stuff and it changes back to its original state, that is pretty much de Blob. Those other games mentioned above are nothing like that. Oh well so long as the game it fun. 
    wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By wrathofconn
    @JackiJinx said:

" So, just because one game did something similar to a new one, that means the new one isn't allowed to do it. What? "

Sounds like you didn't really get exactly what he was saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.