Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

Realistically How Much Would You Pay For Shenmue 3?

• 52 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

If Shenmue 3 was announced today but with an unrealistically high price point how much would you be willing to pay?

I think I'd pay up to £200 ($400) for Shenmue 3.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Genuinely, like £150. I remember saying a long while ago that if Shenmue III were announced as an exclusive for the PS3 or something equally as expensive, I wouldn't even think twice about picking it up. Actually the list of things I wouldn't do for Shenmue III is pretty much nonexistant.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

$0 ...I've only played about 4hrs of Shenmue 2 and didn't see what the big deal was about...Shenmue is dead, Yakuza is the new Shenmue.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Kush said:
    "Shenmue is dead, Yakuza is the new Shenmue."
    Kushybaby, don't do this to me.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Kush said:
    "Shenmue is dead, Yakuza is the new Shenmue."
    Kushybaby, don't do this to me."
    *Bursts into a flood of tears!*

Yeah I'm in a similar boat to you HandsomeDead -- I would genuinely pick up a whole new console/PC just to play Shenmue 3. Or I'd just pay extortionate prices for a disc.

*cries over the epicness*
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By webby

OMG you dont want to know. Like any price, would kill for it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

Would anybody jump off a cliff if they were promised there would be a copy of Shenmue 3 in heaven?

Because I'd contemplate it.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roushimsx

I don't think I'd pay any money for it, honestly. Shenmue hasn't aged well at all and is an absolute chore to play. Even if it magically appeared, the eventual US localization would undoubtedly suck in ways that only Shenmue had sucked beforehand. Unless the fellows behind the Yakuza series had a hand in its development, I'd be hard pressed to be even remotely interested. AM2 needs to stick to developing arcade style games.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    get2sammyb said:
    "Would anybody jump off a cliff if they were promised there would be a copy of Shenmue 3 in heaven?

Because I'd contemplate it."
    I'd do a flip.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush

It's basically true though...Yakuza is the new Shenmue for Sega. So if you like it, support it...or just watch it die! I really hope that Yakuza 3 does well on the PS3. ...and question, Is there a big difference between Shenmue 1 and 2? Could I possibly enjoy the original even though I disliked the second?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Whatever. Shenmue was a 6.8 at best.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush
    LordAndrew said:
    "Whatever. Shenmue was a 6.8 at best."
    Why not a 6.9? ...and why is it better than a 6.7?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
    LordAndrew said:
    "Whatever. Shenmue was a 6.8 at best."
    You're a 6.8 at best, buddy.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

a barrel roll. no but srsly shenmue is a wonder that must live on :(

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Realistically? $0.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By roushimsx
    Kush said:
    "It's basically true though...Yakuza is the new Shenmue for Sega. So if you like it, support it...or just watch it die! I really hope that Yakuza 3 does well on the PS3. ...and question, Is there a big difference between Shenmue 1 and 2? Could I possibly enjoy the original even though I disliked the second?"
    It's a shame that Yakuza 2 is doing so poorly in the US right now. Apparently only ~50k copies have been sold, but I guess that's not too surprising considering there's been damn near zero publicity for it. Hopefully there's not a two year delay in getting Yakuza 3 and hopefully they actually advertise it a bit. Maybe raise a bit of awareness that no, it's not a GTA clone in any way, shape, or form. Maybe educate people that it's a marriage of all of the good bits of Shenmue and Spikeout with a solid script and great characters thrown in.

Maybe not enough people know that you can abandon a 9 year old girl in a backstreet so that you can get laid at a seedy massage parlor.

...oh, and if you disliked the second Shenmue, you would despise the original game with the fury of a thousand white hot suns.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I play Yakuza, and I don't enjoy it as much as Shenmue.  It is fun in it's own ways though.

On topic, I don't think I'd pay more than 80 USD.  I love the game, but if it is ridiculously priced and I pay for it, then it sends the message that it is okay to charge that much for one (single player) standard edition game.  I think the games were expensive to make (the first one, anyways) because of unnecessary design decisions and poor budget decisions.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

I would pay a shit load to play Shenmue 3. It would be a epic game worthy of my moolah, I would pay near £300 if I had to.

I love the Dreamcast and I love the legend of Shenmue.

"Due to various reasons, Shenmue Online is pending now" said Yu Suzuki in an interview with
    Yoshiki Okamoto, which was included in the latest issue of Famitsu released on Sept. 12.

At first he was reluctant to answer when he was asked about the current status of the game.
    But, when he was asked the same question again at the end of the interview, he made up
    his mind and gave that brief answer. He added "I'm hoping for restarting the development of
    Shenmue Online. I haven't given it up yet."

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Teatime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Teatime

Why dont they put this series on the 360 marketplace  like they did Ninja Gaiden.   I never played it,  but it sounds brilliant.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Emilio

$249.99 + tax.

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
    deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Sorry, but $50....which is what every game should cost.  $60 is pushing it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

$0. Haven't played a Shenmue game and I don't plan on it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By keyhunter

ryo hazuki. shenmue second coming? no give it 6.8

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By chronicsmoke

$500

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kaido

$60...just like any other game, really.

It's a wonderful series, but I don't think I'd go to any extremes to play it.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shotaro

okay so without either a dreamcast or a copy of the game - what the hell is the big deal about Shenmue?

The only thing I know about it is that it created QTEs so it's not exactly up there in my mind at the minute

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
    Shotaro said:
    "okay so without either a dreamcast or a copy of the game - what the hell is the big deal about Shenmue?

The only thing I know about it is that it created QTEs so it's not exactly up there in my mind at the minute"
    A wonderful plot. An incredible universe. A mind-blowing musical score. Brilliantly likable characters. Memorable set pieces, missions and dialogue. Outrun and Hang-on. Lan-Di. QTEs. A fascinating world to explore. The first sandbox style gameplay (don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure it started that trend). Vending machines. Go anywhere, do anything, see everything. Wonderful atmosphere.

I could go on and on and on.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By roushimsx
    get2sammyb said:
    A wonderful plot. An incredible universe. A mind-blowing musical score. Brilliantly likable characters. Memorable set pieces, missions and dialogue. Outrun and Hang-on. Lan-Di. QTEs. A fascinating world to explore. The first sandbox style gameplay (don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure it started that trend). Vending machines. Go anywhere, do anything, see everything. Wonderful atmosphere.
    Shenmue didn't invent sandbox gameplay nor did it invent QTEs. It did nothing new, it simply incorporated elements of other games into a new style of what essentially was a point and click adventure game with a poorly hobbled on combat engine. The pacing was awful, technical limitations caused more headaches than senses of awe, control issues made it a chore to get from point A to B, the localization redefined terrible (and the voice acting is still the benchmark by which awful dubbings such as Chaos Wars and Castle Shikigami 2 are judged), the combat system was atrocious, the forklift potion succeeded in actually making the game feel like WORK, and the final motorcycle and combat portions were so utterly inept that it's a wonder that Yu Suzuki even bothered to stay associated with the title.

It did do a nice job of having a small little area to explore around in, but it was so devoid of anything interested that it made you wonder why they even bothered. Perhaps if it was littered with more meaningful NPCs and side quests, if they had streamlined the game a bit more to deemphasize senseless wandering (I'm playing a character that grew up in the area, why do I have to hunt for clues to every location?), or if they had actually put some effort into the localization process (PROTIP: No one thought that the Virtua Fighter games had good voice acting) then I'd have a slightly different opinion.

I will say that the music was pretty nice, but it just seemed wasted on the console equivellent of Daikatana. Toshihiro Nagoshi obviously took notes during the development of the game and applied everything that he learned (both during Shenmue and during his own Spikeout series) towards the eventual design of the Yakuza series. Which is good, because he really dropped the ball with Spikeout: Battle Street.

Hey, no one is perfect.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Nothing, give me a demo first, i ll make my mind afterwards :P

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marzy

I would pay up to £80 the very max, but no more than that.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pibo47

I would get it, i hated shenmue 2 soooo much. So i really dont want a 3.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb
    roushimsx said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    Shenmue didn't invent sandbox gameplay nor did it invent QTEs. It did nothing new, it simply incorporated elements of other games into a new style of what essentially was a point and click adventure game with a poorly hobbled on combat engine. The pacing was awful, technical limitations caused more headaches than senses of awe, control issues made it a chore to get from point A to B, the localization redefined terrible (and the voice acting is still the benchmark by which awful dubbings such as Chaos Wars and Castle Shikigami 2 are judged), the combat system was atrocious, the forklift potion succeeded in actually making the game feel like WORK, and the final motorcycle and combat portions were so utterly inept that it's a wonder that Yu Suzuki even bothered to stay associated with the title.

It did do a nice job of having a small little area to explore around in, but it was so devoid of anything interested that it made you wonder why they even bothered. Perhaps if it was littered with more meaningful NPCs and side quests, if they had streamlined the game a bit more to deemphasize senseless wandering (I'm playing a character that grew up in the area, why do I have to hunt for clues to every location?), or if they had actually put some effort into the localization process (PROTIP: No one thought that the Virtua Fighter games had good voice acting) then I'd have a slightly different opinion.

I will say that the music was pretty nice, but it just seemed wasted on the console equivellent of Daikatana. Toshihiro Nagoshi obviously took notes during the development of the game and applied everything that he learned (both during Shenmue and during his own Spikeout series) towards the eventual design of the Yakuza series. Which is good, because he really dropped the ball with Spikeout: Battle Street.

Hey, no one is perfect.
    "
    While I appreciate the points you're making you speak like someone who played Shenmue this year and not in 2000.

Goldeneye isn't as fun as it was 10 years ago. Nor is Ocarina Of Time.

A lot of games don't stand the test of time - only the likes of Super Mario World etc are still as amazing today as they were back in the day.

Shenmue was ground breaking at the time. Even if the controls were awful.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter

Shenmue was pretty stupid. That's all I remember about it.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I dunno. $10.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#36  Edited By vigorousjammer

I would buy Shenmue 3 SO HARD!
    lol, no, but seriously... if Yu Suzuki gets the dudes who are working on the Yakuza series and they all make a new Shenmue game, it would be EPIC!
    seriously, imagine that... wouldn't it be great?!
    A Shenmue game in today's video game market would have a bunch of new innovative features if done right...
    Bike-travel like there was supposed to be in the first one... they could probably do motorcycle travel as well...
    more arcade games... online co-op... online capsule toy trading, lol...
    really, the possibilities are endless...
    and I still need to know how the story ends!

I think I'd pay up to $100 for a Shenmue 3... depending on the quality of it...

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By roushimsx
    get2sammyb said:
    While I appreciate the points you're making you speak like someone who played Shenmue this year and not in 2000.

Goldeneye isn't as fun as it was 10 years ago. Nor is Ocarina Of Time.

A lot of games don't stand the test of time - only the likes of Super Mario World etc are still as amazing today as they were back in the day.

Shenmue was ground breaking at the time. Even if the controls were awful."
    I played it back when it came out and disliked it, but never finished it. This year I went back and replayed it to see if perhaps my tastes had changed and if I'd found the game more enjoyable. Obviously, I didn't.

Ocarina of Time is a terrible analogy because unlike Shenmue, it HAS aged well. Sure, the first three dungeons are fairly weak and it's easy to lose interest early on (hell, I wasn't able to force myself past them until my most recent attempt in December of last year), but after that it's absolute gaming gold. Really a high point for action adventure games and especially impressive how they designed the game so that technical limitations never really hindered the gameplay experience. Unlike Shenmue, I'd recommend Ocarina of Time to anyone in a heartbeat.

A good game is a good game is a good game. Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and Doom are still enjoyable today because they didn't rely on graphics as their key selling point. They balanced out clever level design and addictive gameplay with the then-state-of-the-art-engines being just the icing on the cake. Virtua Fighter 2 is still a blast to play today because it's a great game, not because it ran in some obscenely high resolution for the time. Outcast runs in 512x384, came out at a time when even that was considered low resolution, used voxels instead of polygons and you know what? It still looks amazing, plays fantastic, and does pretty much everything Shenmue wanted to do but didn't because Yu Suzuki was so hard up in trying to build the doors on the backside of a building that serves absolutely no purpose in the game other than to provide window dressing as you're running down the short street to your next loading point.

Shenmue was not ground breaking at the time of its release, it simply provided Dreamcast owners a subpar 3D adventure game mixed with a crummy beat 'em up, some Cinematronics arcade laserdisc action and highly polished graphics. The series is interesting because of how much of a commercial failure it was in relation to its development costs and also for its incredibly awful localization. Hell, if it weren't for the graphics, I'd put it on par with the Dreamcast port of Omikron.

Hey, thanks for reminding me that I need to give Goldeneye another shot, though. I had a hard time playing it back then because of the low framerate and clunky game speed (how anyone was able to suffer through a 4p battle completely escapes me), but I've been wanting to see if it's possible to run that sucker in an emulator, disable the lookspring, bump up the counter factor to smooth out the framerate, and then play it with a mouse and keyboard.

Vigorousjammer said:
    "Bike-travel like there was supposed to be in the first one... they could probably do motorcycle travel as well..."
    Offtopic, but did you play Headhunter at all? Played a bit like Resident Evil meets Winback, but you traveled between sections of the city on a motorcycle. Got a direct port to the PS2 that's pretty easy to scare up for <$10/new. Worth a look-see. Ditto for its sequel, "Headhunter: Redemption". Redemption plays pretty differently (far more action oriented) and ditches the motorcycle bits, but the aiming system is absolutely CHOICE and it includes a segment straight out of Running Man. That and a tv set ripped straight out of Resident Evil. Gold.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

Thinking about Shenmue II, while playing it, I don't remember having fun or particularly enjoying it, but all these years on from when I played it first time round, so many scenes have stuck with me. I remember so many of the characters and look back extremely fondly on the setting. In fact, since playing, i've always wanted to go to Guilin even though i'm well aware it'll be nothing like it is in the game. And again, I have the music on my iPod and so many of the cues bring back memories of playing it so while i'd definitely not say Shenmue or its sequel are fun games, they're definitely an experience that I don't think any other game have ever come close to matching.

Avatar image for flagshipfighter
    FlagshipFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FlagshipFighter

I would pay £200, no joke!

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hairydutchman

30 euros

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Discorsi

10 monopoly dollars.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By tebbit
    @Discorsi said:
    "10 monopoly dollars."

100 monopoly dollars!!!
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By zyn

Shenmue II was a good game at it's time of release.  I was unfortunate to not be able to pick up Shenmue for the Dreamcast and did pick up Shenmue II for the Xbox.  But, if there was a sequel, which ended the story nicely and featured modern day game features, I'd be happy to pay £60 for the game.  Anything higher is not worth the game alone, unless we're talking special editions.

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LeadNinja

About £35.  The same as any game.  Maybe a little more if they fire the entire VO cast and hire some talent.  I'm not paying any more than RRP unless it has some nunchakus or a forklift truck with it.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gargantuan

I bought and played Shenmue II for about 10 hours, it wasn't very good so I sold it.
    I would maybe pay 10 usd for Shenmue III if it gets many 5/5 and 9+/10 reviews.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayge_

I never played the original Shenmues, but some of my most trusted gaming brothas swear by it on their lives. I would probably plunk down 100 bucks if it was that amazing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would pay roughly a dollar for Shenmue 3, and then sell it for six. From what I have heard about that series, it's everything I hate about video games.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scooper
    @get2sammyb said:
    " If Shenmue 3 was announced today but with an unrealistically high price point how much would you be willing to pay?I think I'd pay up to £200 ($400) for Shenmue 3. "
    Not any more buddy, £200 is like $330 now. Which sucks. For someone. Presumably.

On topic, I've got the Shenmue boxset thing and played it for several hours and I don't see why it's got a cult following. The game has barely any direction and it's slow and boring if you aren't using a guide.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Drebin_893

Honestly, £10.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Godwind

Shenmue is a love it or hate it game.  I first picked it up in 2008.  The first 2 discs sucked.  The third disc was awesome.  Once you got onto the third disc, you saw what they wanted to do with the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.