Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

Shenmue HD Is Real?

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Sauce.

Here's what it says...

An HD port of Shenmue is indeed heading to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and development on the title has been “finished for well over a year”, according to an industry source speaking to GamerZines.

Our source, who wishes to remain anonymous but does have ties to SEGA, told us that “Shenmue HD is real [and has been] finished for well over a year.

“As is Shenmue II HD”.

So, if true, why has SEGA held off on releasing them?

According to our insider, SEGA chose to sit on their release until it had a clearer picture of the future for the Shenmue franchise, namely, whether or not Shenmue III would ever see the light of day.

SEGA teased earlier this week that it “may be working on” an HD port of Shenmue.

An XBLA release has been rumoured since April 2010 when the game allegedly turned up on a secret developer test network.

I personally never owned a Dreamcast and my only experience in playing one was at a Toys R Us store years ago. I would gladly pick both of these up given the opportunity because of the comparisons between and my much love for the Yakuza series.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They also teased it (along with Skies of Arcadia) in an interview about Jet Set Radio. (skip to the last few minutes).

Considering the amount of effort they're putting into the port of JSR, it would be insane for them not to do Shenmue. I really cannot wait to play through it again.. and hopefully we can get a sequel made, someday.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Pazy

Ive never played either of the two Shenmue games. Ive heard a lot of praise and id like to give it a try but part of what put me off was that the story never finished.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DelroyLindo

If this is true it makes me glad i just put both of them up on ebay. Once Ico got re-released my limited edition of that went from fetching upwards of £70 to worth absolutely nothing.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

AHHHHHHH!

All these quality Dreamcast games HD'ified make me so damn happy. The Power Stone games now please, with online play of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.