Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Shenmue's influence?

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BigDo6

What do you guys think Shenmue's impact on the gaming industry was?

Shaymarx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shaymarx1

Certainly gave R* inspiration for GTA VC and GTA SA.

For me Shenmue was probaobly the greatest gaming experience I've ever had.  Shen 2 was the better game but experiance wise Shenmue was allowing me to do things I had not done in agame before or for that matter acts that I had not taken part in in quite some time (ie walk int to an arcade) or things I had never taken part in such as being part of a small community that felt from an empathatic sense very real.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stevokenevo

it gave everyone in the industry something to talk about be it good or bad.  shenmue made noise.  i would like to think it inspired games to be more immersive due to the cinematic quality of the game.   ......but what the hell do i know?!

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Lemegeton

i dont think anyone can deny that it showed that "Quick-time-events" could be fun. other games had tried it like the famous dragons lair but Shenmue was the first game i remember
    that made QTE sequences fun. and it definitely influenced the whole open-world genre , that whole idea of spending hours in a game world without touching the main quest/story

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Randolph

Shenmue 2, technically was the better game, but I enjoyed the environments and characters in the original much more.  I watched a preview video of the game twice or even three times daily for over three months prior to it's release, on a DCM demo disc.  I'll never forget the experience.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemegeton
    Randolph said:
    "Shenmue 2, technically was the better game, but I enjoyed the environments and characters in the original much more.  I watched a preview video of the game twice or even three times daily for over three months prior to it's release, on a DCM demo disc.  I'll never forget the experience."
    i had a similar experience. it was incredible for its time. i must have watched the intro for the 1st game 10 times before i actually started playing properly. i mean i had played other games with cutscenes and stuff but to have full voice acting coupled with facial animation, and such cinematic direction was incredible.
    i remember when shenmue2 came out, no store in Ireland had it, they had all stoppped getting new DC games so i had to track it down online.
    another great memory was when i finished the 1st game a few times i kept going back to that section near the end you could replay where you had to beat 70 guys. i played that over and over and never got bored. even at time i would try and do that by only using the counters .

such great memories with that game. i can understand we wont get another game but please god release a book,comic, anime etc.. anything so we can experience the rest of the story
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph

Yeah, I consider it the peak of gaming for me, in fact.  Nothing since Shenmue has come close to feeling as special.  Since then, I got online, and gaming started to lose it's magic, for me.  The days with a DC, played on a 13 inch TV, were the best.  Nothing else compares to it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Inspired the far superior far less boring Yakuza series.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Randolph
    ryanwho said:
    "Inspired the far superior far less boring Yakuza series."
    Never got into it, both the first two games are extremely ugly looking, especially for late gen PS2 games, I expect better.  The gameplay was also pretty bad, and the game as a whole, just not immersive in the least bit.  I hope the third game is much better.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

Shenmue's influence on me is that I should never invest in an ongoing franchise again. After playing parts 1 and 2 only to never get a conclusion, i've decided to not get involved with stuff like Yakuza for the same reason.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Randolph
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Shenmue's influence on me is that I should never invest in an ongoing franchise again. After playing parts 1 and 2 only to never get a conclusion, i've decided to not get involved with stuff like Yakuza for the same reason."
    I can understand that, and while we're still discussing Yakuza, why is it that Shenmue sells like crap, and we get no more of it.  But then Yakuza sells like crap, and we get not only part three, but a spin off as well?  I'm guessing it's just because of how much lower the first two Yakuza games budget is, (they're both butt ugly) but it still stings.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By get2sammyb

Shenmue's influence on the industry as a whole was simply enormous. It took gamers places they've never been before and it's somewhere I'd love to go again.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By mattbodega

That games, like, a 6.8, right?
    It was definitely the game that really coined the term QTE, so every time cinematics are ruined by boring button presses(not RE4 or God of War, but Spider-Man 3 and The Force Unleashed--really uninspired use of the interactive cinematics) we can give a shout to Shenmue.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lemegeton
    MattBodega said:
    "That games, like, a 6.8, right?
    It was definitely the game that really coined the term QTE, so every time cinematics are ruined by boring button presses(not RE4 or God of War, but Spider-Man 3 and The Force Unleashed--really uninspired use of the interactive cinematics) we can give a shout to Shenmue."
    depends where you look but most review scores were 8/80% and up and you clearly never played it as the QTE were not just interruptions to cinematics. They were gameplay sequences all of their own and more often than not controlled the some of the fight scenes. like i said originally a lot of games have done QTE's before and since Shenmue but it was one of the few to do them properly and make it fun
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Oni

I think every developer doing a game with a lot of free-roaming has taken a long look at Shenmue. But the QTE's are probably its biggest legacy, which is also kind of sad.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Schizoid
    Randolph said:
    "Yeah, I consider it the peak of gaming for me, in fact.  Nothing since Shenmue has come close to feeling as special.  Since then, I got online, and gaming started to lose it's magic, for me.  The days with a DC, played on a 13 inch TV, were the best.  Nothing else compares to it."
    You have earned my respect as I feel the exact same way. Shenmue was definitely ahead of it's time.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I don't think it had as much influence as I wish it had. Doesn't seem like it inspired any Japanese developers to take the risks it did. Of course it can have the QTE legacy. I adore the game, absolutely found it amazing. You still can't find the same experience.

It wasn't just opening a random drawer. It was opening a random drawer and finding different things in each one. Or finding nothing.

That game sums up the Dreamcast in a lot of ways. Really ambitious and like you've all said, way before its time. We still don't see that level of detail in hardly anything. And I doubt you'll ever see a game from that time period either, huge risk.

People would much rather have something else. Even somebody in this very thread implied the game was boring. It makes me appreciate it more, since no developer will ever take that chance again.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's influence? I don't know, somewhere around a 6.8.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By AkumaX

They're just saying that because that's what Jeff gave it.

Shenmue was amazing, and I'm planning on playing through both this Christmas.

It inspired so many things, it was pioneering. It spawned QTEs (awesome in Shenmue, terrible in everything else), was one of the first games to utilise story as the main driver for gameplay and pushed production values through the roof.

Jon_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Jon_Rivera
    @AkumaX: I would not go as far to say that it 'spawned' QTE game play, though it did refine the concept to perfection. QTE was spawned by Dragon's Lair. However, you are right about one thing: Shenmue did revolutionize the concept of having high production values in games. Also, the FREE game genre is now truly an actual genre which is seeing a new original game under its umbrella because of Shenmue. Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain shows all the hallmarks of Yu Suzuki's ambitious genre philosophy. Heavy Rain IS an FREE game. I do not own a PS3 right now, which is a crime because I have wanted one since launch [money is tight]. This is the game that will make me buy a PS3. I just want more developers making games of this genre.
    Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Anarchist4Eva

Let's not overlook the biggest part of Shenmue's legacy. It was so expensive & required so much manpower to produce the 2 unfinished chapters that it helped kill the beloved Dreamcast years before it should have been put to sleep. I still think it was ahead of it's time in many ways, but I can't overlook the fact that Sega could il afford any major busts at that time & Shenmue was a bust. They couldn't even give Dreamcast owners the sequel stateside which was a crime in itself!

Jon_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Jon_Rivera

True. Shenmue cost over 70 million dollars to make, what with the whole project Berkley and Saturn development effort. When all was said and done, the financial expectations for Shenmue were impossible to be met by any game of that time. For Sega to even break even on this game, everyone who owned a Dreamcast would have had to buy two copies of the game. That is a sad and an impossible situation for any developer to find themselves in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.