IGN Names Sigeru Miyamoto The #1 Game Creator Of All Time

• 69 results
#1 Posted by JJOR64 (18885 posts) -
http://games.ign.com/top-100-game-creators/1.html
From the article:
"It wasn't a difficult selection. Nobody in the videogame arena has proven as innovative and irrefutably influential as Nintendo's legendary game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto. He earns our top pick because he has successfully created pioneering, industry-shaping videogames and hardware for nearly three decades. His contributions have been blatantly copied by competitors just as much as they've been applauded by players around the world.

His track record speaks for itself. From the mind of a single, unwaveringly happy man comes such timeless franchises as Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., and The Legend of Zelda. Through the years, Miyamoto has had his hand in just about every major Nintendo series, including Wave Race, Mario Kart, F-Zero and Star Fox. Yet, he has never rested on his laurels, continuing to develop new ideas and fresh game concepts, including the 3D sensation that was Super Mario 64, the ultra-accessible Pikmin and the simply addictive Nintendogs. He brought the analog stick and the rumble pak to console gamers and he was integral in the advent of Nintendo's dual-screen handheld.

Even now, almost 30 years after Donkey Kong arrived in arcades, Miyamoto's new software and hardware advancements continue to redefine the industry. When competitors bet on high-definition graphics, Miyamoto gambled on a simpler system with a gameplay-changing controller. He packed it with a game called Wii Sports and the rest is history. Since then, the Nintendo visionary has helped spread the industry beyond its normal parameters, hooking new players with unconventional software like Wii Fit.

Long after the 53-year-old veteran retires from the industry -- and we hope that day remains tucked away in the distant future -- his legacy will live on. If the videogame market has rock stars, Miyamoto is its biggest and brightest."

What do you guys think of this?

#2 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -

Not surprising; no one person even comes close to being as creative and influential in the industry as Shiggy is.

#3 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Should've been David Jaffe cause guns and tits are cool! Or wait, John Romero cause the color brown and the Devil are awesome!

The choice of Miyamoto for that award is so self evident that I find it kinda redundant to have it actually.

#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

That's a very fair choice, but I would have to take some time to think about it before I could agree 100% ...I must say that I'm a bit surprised by the order of this list so far.

#5 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I would've said John Carmack, but whatever.

#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Pity he doesn't work for Microsoft, then he could make a decent hardcore game, mature gamers could play.

(/sarcasm)
#7 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

Not a bad pick, but I do hate it when people credit him for more modern nintendo games such as paper mario or smg.  He didn't make those games people!  He probably overviewed quality, but he wasn't a producer, etc.
It's kind of sad really.  So many people are robbed of their pitch in the project.  They can be the lead producer/director of the game and Miyamoto will overview it and he'll get the credit.  Here's news for you!  Miyamoto had little involvement in Ocarina of Time, Pikmin, and SMG!

He'd probably be #1 for me though.

However, my favorite single game designer has got to be Sakaguchi:

Why?  Well he basically is responsible for so many of my favorite games and is still making my favorites.

This guy is my favorite music composer:

Ahh... Mistwalker, can't wait to see what you'll do next. 
Let's add some music of his to this thread.    Recent music....

not necessarily the best songs from each game, but they're average for the games.  That being said, they're fantastic. 
#8 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Mine would be Kazunori Yamauchi or Hideo Kojima

#9 Posted by ZombiePie (5561 posts) -

Miyamoto is a good pick, but man this just seems like a list that just shouldn't be made in the first place.

#10 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

It's a very odd list to say the least, but at least they got the top spot right... although it's pretty much a no-brainer.

But... as much as I love Sid Meier's work, is he really even top 10 material, let alone #2?  Will Wright seems to be the more influential developer.

#11 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

wait, how is Uematsu not the top composer of the list?
Edit: OMG, did they just applaud Miyamoto for making the wii fit? >.>

#12 Posted by ishotmrburns (279 posts) -

Well, duh.

#13 Posted by ZombiePie (5561 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"wait, how is Uematsu not the top composer of the list? >.>"

Why are composers on the list on in the first place? I'm not saying that thye're not important nor am I intolerant of the idea, it's I just want someone to covince me that composers should be held at the same stature as developers and producers is all.
#14 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"wait, how is Uematsu not the top composer of the list? >.>"
Why are composers on the list on in the first place? I'm not saying that thye're not important nor am I intolerant of the idea, it's I just want someone to covince me that composers should be held at the same stature as developers and producers is all."
I don't get it either.
I don't even understand why they made this.    
#15 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Not anymore

Games have evolved so much, his games these days are still pretty good, but they just can't compete with the blockbuster titles.

He should create at least 1 rated M game in his lifetime

#16 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

^  Miyamoto's retired now you understand?
Basically they'd have a nintendo team work on it and he'd get the credit for it, that's basically what it'd go down as.

I dare you to find me one video of him in office from this millenium. 

#17 Posted by JJOR64 (18885 posts) -

@ SmugDarkLoser    Here is some recent music.

There is some of the great music from Super Mario Galaxy.  Don't get me wrong Nobuo Uematsu is a fantastic composer but, there are other great musicians out there in the video game world.

#18 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Yeah, I have the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack and it is fantastic

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (18885 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"Yeah, I have the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack and it is fantastic"
I want it......    lol
#20 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Gusty Garden ftw.

#21 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Well deserved.

#22 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

@ Smug, Miyamoto retired? And here I was thinking the Wii came out like it did in large part thanks to him, as well as the concept for all of Nintendo's popular casual Wii games, as well as Pikmin for the last gen, among others. Mario will certainly not be the same anymore after he does retire, let's not forget that for Galaxy he wasn't the director but instead in charge for main game design. If you mean he doesn't sit somewhere creating art assets or programming then, well, that's not his job. He's no different or more retired than any other high caliber developer. Let's not forget the recent contract that stops him from discussing his hobbies in public because his games are often based on them xD

#23 Edited by Karmum (11516 posts) -

Not really surprised here, but it isn't like anybody could contend with him for that award. But he has earned it.

#24 Posted by Tom_H (53 posts) -

No surprise here. He deserves it though; he successfully made gaming what it is today.

#25 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

The list was actually pretty good, and we can argue about Miyamoto, but he'll probably always be atop the list, whether or not his games are better or better designed, simply because they are so beloved.

I was really happy to see Gunpei Yokoi on there, he usually doesn't get credit. I did I report on him in the 9th grade, and so I've been a fan ever since. He invented Metroid, how can you not love him?
#26 Posted by mracoon (4947 posts) -

Well he deserves the #1 spot for all he's done for videogames even if his recent games like Wii Music are pretty crap.

#27 Posted by RIP_Icewood (97 posts) -
Tom_H said:
"No surprise here. He deserves it though; he successfully made gaming what it is today."
I dont know if I agree with that statement. I hear that time and time again from friends, family, and in the industry but honestly, he didnt.  He made gaming what it was about 10 years ago. I beleive the gamers(and game creators) today were influenced as much by the PS1 as they were by Nintendo and its subsuqent systems. Dont get me wrong, the man WAS a genius when he created those beloved franchises but honestly we've been playing the first Mario game for about 20 years straight people (WIth MINOR, MINOR tweaks).  

I do agree with him being the number 1 game creator and I have tons of respect for the man who I owe my childhood memories to. As far as music goes nobody touches Uematsu...nobody.Period.

#28 Posted by SumoX (36 posts) -
ZombiePie said:
" Miyamoto is a good pick, but man this just seems like a list that just shouldn't be made in the first place. "
Agreed with this- to declare any one developer as "the best" does a disservice to all of the other great game designers out there.

Just as an example, Carmack is the founder of 3D gaming....are they really suggesting that this is less important to the industry as a whole than making a plumber run and jump?

Again, I'm not trying to say specifically that Carmack is better than Miyamoto, just that the idea of creating a list like this is incredibly subjective. Most of there choices seem reasonbly solid (though Shinji Mikami....REALLY?),. but declare one to be superior than the rest is asinine.
#29 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Miyamoto definitely deserves the top spot. I am glad to see the man who created video game's most influential franchises got what he deserved.

#30 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

When I saw the first video without Miyamoto in it, then it was pretty obvious he was gonna get first place. And in my opinion, he deserves it.

#31 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

What he deserved? It's just an IGN award, it's not like he got an oscar :P

#32 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Without hesitation, I would name him the most influential; not the greatest.

#33 Posted by Peacemaker (1101 posts) -

I almost can't think of anyone else who can be number 1.  Look at all of the amazing franchises he has created and how he shaped gaming int what it is today. 

#34 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

it couldn't have been that difficult of a decision, i mean, he's fucking Shigeru Miyamoto.

#35 Posted by damswedon (3173 posts) -

will wright is the best. why cuz i like his games unlike miyamoto's
or team ico cuz i have yet to dislike a game by them. they have a 100% like rate from me.

#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -
My choice...
Tomonobu Itagaki
for his contribution to "theoretical" physics
#37 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Yes

#38 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"@ SmugDarkLoser    Here is some recent music.

There is some of the great music from Super Mario Galaxy.  Don't get me wrong Nobuo Uematsu is a fantastic composer but, there are other great musicians out there in the video game world."
I can't delete your videos for some reason, so sorry about the large quote, but while SMG's music is pretty good, do you really think it even compares?
#39 Posted by Drebin_893 (2894 posts) -

Kojima for me. Can't go wrong with either, though.

#40 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

I guess why I like Uematsu so much is that he really understand's what makes a song sound good and isn't afraid to mix old with new and experimental.
While he composes with trumpets and what not, he isn't afraid to use the guitar and play hard metal.  He realizes it's an instrument just as well. It doesn't have to be the focus of it though
He also uses computer generated sounds, which is a very underrated thing. 

You just don't get stuff like this from any other composer really (most are afraid to use chants and guitar...accept marty o donald, and he's a good composer, not the best though).

My god, not really what we're talking about (but definately related): Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are so good and so damn underrated.  Both are AAA games imo.

Damn it, when is Mistwalker's next big title coming out?  Arghh.  
Going back to BD and LO being underrated, I don't quite understand how they were.  What did they really do wrong?   There lore is undeniable.  While sometimes I'll go on a tantrum when revisting LO and getting stuck on a boss saying how much the combat sucks and what not, even that is pretty good, despite being a slower paced turn based system.  I don't get it.

Well then again, I guess lots of rpg classics were underrate dlike this as well, like for example Legend of Dragoon.
Whatever, doesn't impact me in a huge way.
#41 Posted by JJOR64 (18885 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"JJOR64 said:
"@ SmugDarkLoser    Here is some recent music.

There is some of the great music from Super Mario Galaxy.  Don't get me wrong Nobuo Uematsu is a fantastic composer but, there are other great musicians out there in the video game world."
I can't delete your videos for some reason, so sorry about the large quote, but while SMG's music is pretty good, do you really think it even compares? "
To me, yes it does.  I think the SMG soundtrack is one of the best video game soundtracks out there.
#42 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (545 posts) -

That was so predictable, it almost made me wonder why they even made such a list. Don't get me wrong, though, as I totally agree. He is pretty much the videogame idol in my eyes (no matter the Wii Music he associates with). Rather, I liked more of the neat facts about the other developers on the list (Sid Meier and the Game Boy developer whose name I can never remember (RIP) is always interesting to me). Don't tell IGN I said that, k!?

#43 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Well obviously. Was there really any other choice?

#44 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
MOLE said:
"Not anymoreGames have evolved so much, his games these days are still pretty good, but they just can't compete with the blockbuster titles.He should create at least 1 rated M game in his lifetime"
You make it sound like a video game with an M rating is automaticly better than a game with a T rating. Besides, did you play either Super Mario Galaxy or Pikmin, the last two games he worked on? Both games are masterpieces.SmugDarkLoser said:
"

^  Miyamoto's retired now you understand?
Basically they'd have a nintendo team work on it and he'd get the credit for it, that's basically what it'd go down as.

I dare you to find me one video of him in office from this millenium. 

"
Thats a pretty safe bet, since i doubt you could find video of any Nintendo employee in their office this millenium, whether its Nintendo of Japans research and development *wet dream* or the shipping divison of Nintendo of America. I worked at NOA for a few months so i can tell you, it wouldn't be easy to get footage in the building alone, let alone someone like Miyamoto or Reggie. Also, you think he wasn't majorly involved with both Galaxy and Pikmin? I agree that the majority of his involvment in Wii Music and Fit was simply putting the idea on a piece of paper, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was a major presence on MR GAY
#45 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Can't argue with that, however I am disappointed that Ed Boon was #100. I think he should definitely be higher up than that. At least like #50.

#46 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

1. I guess why I like Uematsu so much is that he really understand's what makes a song sound good and isn't afraid to mix old with new and experimental.
While he composes with trumpets and what not, he isn't afraid to use the guitar and play hard metal.  He realizes it's an instrument just as well. It doesn't have to be the focus of it though
He also uses computer generated sounds, which is a very underrated thing. 

2. You just don't get stuff like this from any other composer really (most are afraid to use chants and guitar...accept marty o donald, and he's a good composer, not the best though).

3. My god, not really what we're talking about (but definately related): Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are so good and so damn underrated.  Both are AAA games imo.

4. Damn it, when is Mistwalker's next big title coming out?  Arghh.  Going back to BD and LO being underrated, I don't quite understand how they were.  What did they really do wrong?   There lore is undeniable.  While sometimes I'll go on a tantrum when revisting LO and getting stuck on a boss saying how much the combat sucks and what not, even that is pretty good, despite being a slower paced turn based system.  I don't get it. Well then again, I guess lots of rpg classics were underrate dlike this as well, like for example Legend of Dragoon. Whatever, doesn't impact me in a huge way."

1. Uematsu is one of the elite composers in videogames. He is most definately one of the best. However, IGN got it right with Kondo. He created the single most recognizable theme in gaming. he did all of the music for all of the Zelda games, including Ocarina of Time. And, best of all, he did the Star Wolf theme. Uematsu can certainly set a mood, but the vast majority of his themes don't work outside of the games themselves. That isn't suprising, given the sheer volume he does for each of the Final Fantasy games. He sets mood very well most of the time, but every once in a while his compositions come off as random rather than purposeful. 
2. I can't think of many composers that are "afraid" to use chants and guitar. Kondo had some chanting going on in the Twilight Princess soundtrack, and guitar made it into Majoras mask if i remember correctly. However, he uses both sparingly, since they don't always work in the games that he is working on. You don't just throw a Guitar into the Goron theme just for the heck of it.
3.You are right. Both of those games are AAA games. that doesn't mean they are any good though. After all, Lair was a AAA game also, but i wouldn't insert that game into any console of mine for fear of offending it. There is a reason why these games are generally panned; they weren't fun to play.
4. Every time you talk about Lost Odyssey, you keep on answering your own question. The combat wasn't any fun. If the lore is great but the combat sucks, then the game should have been a book, because good games require fun.
5. The Lost Odyssey song you picked in the video was awful. Why didn't you just give us a One-winged Angel or one of the original ff themes?
#47 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Bunch of unpredictable renegades at IGN there.

#48 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

He has done a lot, but Wii Music? Honestly?

#49 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

What makes Miyamoto so special is he created so many different popular game franchises. Miyamoto is to video games as Stan Lee is to comics.

#50 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

Its not surprising.He practicly made the industry more "casual" and innovated it every single time since then.
Othes just expand while he invovated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.