IGN Names Sigeru Miyamoto The #1 Game Creator Of All Time

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

Way to go Mr. Miyamoto ^_^

#52 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said: To me, yes it does.  I think the SMG soundtrack is one of the best video game soundtracks out there."
Fair enough.
#53 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
5. The Lost Odyssey song you picked in the video was awful. Why didn't you just give us a One-winged Angel or one of the original ff themes?
"

If you have any idea where that is played an all, you'd be saying that's better than one winged angel.
#54 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
5. The Lost Odyssey song you picked in the video was awful. Why didn't you just give us a One-winged Angel or one of the original ff themes?
"
If you have any idea where that is played an all, you'd be saying that's better than one winged angel. "
Well then what you are really saying is that the event the song is played over is nice. That doesn't make the actual musical piece good. I could play the Pokemon theme over Aeris death scene and that wouldn't necessairily make the Pokemon theme a good song (it is tho)
#55 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Of course they did but i stopped being a fan of him when i realized 10 years ago most of the games he makes atleast the bigger ones are just remakes.

Legend of zelda franchise is just one remake after another with Zelda 2 links adventure the only original property.
Mario franchise beyond the none series ones are just remakes with all most the exact same story every single time.

#56 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Of course they did but i stopped being a fan of him when i realized 10 years ago most of the games he makes atleast the bigger ones are just remakes.Legend of zelda franchise is just one remake after another with Zelda 2 links adventure the only original property.Mario franchise beyond the none series ones are just remakes with all most the exact same story every single time."
Lol, i suppose thats mostly true, though i'd say he did some great work when he brought Mario and Zelda to 3d for the first time. 
#57 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

He deserves it for, you know, effectively saving the US video game market

#58 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Of course they did but i stopped being a fan of him when i realized 10 years ago most of the games he makes atleast the bigger ones are just remakes.Legend of zelda franchise is just one remake after another with Zelda 2 links adventure the only original property.Mario franchise beyond the none series ones are just remakes with all most the exact same story every single time."
Lol, i suppose thats mostly true, though i'd say he did some great work when he brought Mario and Zelda to 3d for the first time. "
You know Hiroshi Yamauchi  actually was in charge of mario 64? 
#59 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Of course they did but i stopped being a fan of him when i realized 10 years ago most of the games he makes atleast the bigger ones are just remakes.Legend of zelda franchise is just one remake after another with Zelda 2 links adventure the only original property.Mario franchise beyond the none series ones are just remakes with all most the exact same story every single time."
Lol, i suppose thats mostly true, though i'd say he did some great work when he brought Mario and Zelda to 3d for the first time. "
You know Hiroshi Yamauchi  actually was in charge of mario 64?  "

Mario is seen for the first time in 3D on the Nintendo 64. Super Mario 64 not only boasts surpassing 11.8 million copies sold, but it is also one of the best-selling video games in the USA. It is constantly praised as one of the greatest games of all time.

US Title Screen
Overview

Inarguably the Nintendo 64's most anticipated launch title, Super Mario 64 was released on September 29, 1996. It has sold around 11 million copies, making it the best-selling Nintendo 64 game as well as the second most popular game on the Wii's Virtual Console. In making the leap to 3D, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto retooled the series' trademark gameplay to focus as much on exploration as traditional action. Super Mario 64 is hailed as having revolutionized the platformer genre on its release.




That is the overview from this very site.
#60 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Miyamoto definitely deserves it. He created a few of the most memorable franchises in gaming history and a ton of my favorite games. He's a veteran in the industry, but he's state consistent for the most part.

#61 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Heres the real question. Has Miyamoto ever made a "Bad" game? a lot of the creators on the list have been involved in some shit, but Miyamoto has come through without a wart.

#62 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
  
AgentJ
said:
"Heres the real question. Has Miyamoto ever made a "Bad" game? a lot of the creators on the list have been involved in some shit, but Miyamoto has come through without a wart."

Are we joking here?
#63 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Wii Music is a game the same way Jam Sessions is a game. It isn't. In almost any measurement of what makes something a game, Wii Music fails. There is no score, there is no winner, there is no end. Wii Music is nothing but a tool, and in that regard, it isn't bad. It's no more of a game than Korg DS 10 or Jam Sessions.

#64 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Smug, if we're gonna talk people using electric guitar in their game's music, it's Michiru Yamane. On top of not being so bad to look at, she wrote this:

  


There's another song on the soundtrack that's actually better than that that features electric, but this better personifies what you mean by it. Also, her choral work just destroys his. But, I kinda have to blame the singers. They sounded half-drunk on that song.

  


The way I see it, in every facet, that composer is an imitator that just didn't get it right, while Yamane made what is universally called some of the best music to grace a game. Fuck, Castlevania is lauded for its music alone, and has influenced like none other, except possibly the composer for Final Fantasy, and Koji Kondo.

#65 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Ah yes, Castlevania truly has some great music. Including the ones you showed off, I love the montage Video Games Live did (its available on Itunes) and the opening theme for Order of Ecclesia.

#66 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

SOTNGASM. Thanks ^_^

#67 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

no complaints here he deserved number one, the placement on the rest of the list is another story

#68 Posted by JUG (1 posts) -

@SmugDarkLoser

It annoys me when people don't give Miyamoto ENOUGH credit. People never look further than th credits in the back of the manual in deciding what Miyamoto's role was in a game. The Structure at Nintendo doesn't lend itself well to the typical western ideas of Producer and director so you can't assume Miyamoto's level of involvement from that alone. In many interviews it has been stated that Miyamoto's involvement in Pikmin was half  director/ half producer (see this interview: http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/102701.shtml) and he came up with the basic game design to begin with! He was VERY heavily invoved with Ocarina of Time (directoral and producer roles) and he also had a large degree of involvement with Super Mario Galaxy (See the Iwata asks interviews).

I'm not trying to take away from the momentous achievements of such greats as Eiji Aonuma and Takashi Tezuka who obviously deserve a lot of credit, but it really annoys me when people don't give Miyamoto all the credit he deserves.

#69 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -
@Fosssil said:
" Not surprising; no one person even comes close to being as creative and influential in the industry as Shiggy is. "
I think the entire game industry is in agreement on that. Oh, and Time magazine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.