Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shigeru Miyamoto

Person » credited in 227 games

Shigeru Miyamoto is best known as the creator of many of Nintendo's most beloved characters and franchises including Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero, Wave Race, and Nintendogs. He was also the chief designer of Nintendo's Touch! Generation console series, which includes the Nintendo DS, Wii, and 3DS.

Is Miyamoto's continued involvement in Nintendo's hardware and software detrimental?

• 53 results
    jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Poll Is Miyamoto's continued involvement in Nintendo's hardware and software detrimental? (303 votes)

Yes 40%
    No 60%

Note: I am probably the biggest Nintendo apologist I know, and this is not necessarily another "Nintendo is doomed" post.

Shigeru Miyamoto's position in the history of the video games industry has been established for decades at this point. He has had a direct hand in some of the greatest and most influential games ever developed. However, given the measured success of the 3DS, the weakness of the Wii U, and his involvement in fringe projects like Star Fox Guard and the Pikmin short films (to say nothing of project management concerns around the upcoming Legend of Zelda and Star Fox Zero), one could begin to question the wisdom of placing Miyamoto anywhere near a decision making position around future hardware or software. Perhaps recent stock price losses could even be pinned to projects tied directory to Miyamoto. It might also be telling that Nintendo's most recent unqualified success, Splatoon, apparently had little to no involvement from the man.

Have we hit peak Miyamoto?

• 
    MouthlessRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sticker Star, Sticker Star, Sticker Star! Miyamoto ruined it by not rehashing the same game yet again. Is that seriously the only concrete example people can came up with for why his influence is detrimental? Seems to me he's an easy scapegoat for the shortcomings of the company as a whole.

No, I don't think his involvement has been detrimental to the company. Give him a little more credit. He knows how to make games that are complete, polished and released on a reasonable timescale. What more could we reasonably expect from a game developer? I should hope that someone with his experience both making and overseeing games has some sort of voice in the goings-on of the company.

Either way, I enjoyed Sticker Star for what it was. As for Star Fox, I'm not sure what it says about the game that the reaction to it has been all over the place.

barrettalong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miyamoto's influence can been seen in everything that Nintendo has produced since the days of the NES, Is this a good thing? Is this a bad thing? Who knows. Sure he created the most iconic characters and games in the history of the art form. But like anything in this business after 30 plus years, it is going to show its age. I, like most of you I would wager, will always have a soft spot for Miyamoto and Nintendo, But I would argue that so much of what we feel for them now comes from a place of nostalgia. And that is not a bad thing. Nostalgia can be and is extremely powerful. However it is also based firmly in the past, much like the company we see today.

barrettalong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindbullet: I don't know if you can say that the games are not the reason for the failure of these systems (Wii U and 3DS). For better or worse Nintendo has time and time again bucked off third parties and focused on the hardware that best displays their software and with each iteration they have sold fewer and fewer consoles. The Wii being an obvious outlier. Therefore when you look at the situation facing the Wii U (and the 3DS to a lesser extent) the success or failure of the console lies squarely on how good the games are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.