Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shigeru Miyamoto

Person » credited in 227 games

Shigeru Miyamoto is best known as the creator of many of Nintendo's most beloved characters and franchises including Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero, Wave Race, and Nintendogs. He was also the chief designer of Nintendo's Touch! Generation console series, which includes the Nintendo DS, Wii, and 3DS.

Miyamoto On Galaxy 2 & New Zelda

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Mr Miyamoto has served up some basic info on Galaxy 2 and New Zelda.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Originally tried having Mario and Luigi both on screen in Mario 64, experimented with different camera techniques. The resolution of visuals on the Wii is strong enough so that details can be viewed if the camera is pulled far back.
    •  The main reason for creating a sequel was that the team hadn't run out of ideas whilst developing the original game.
    • One of the biggest ideas is "China Syndrome", where you drill a hole straight through the earth and end up somewhere on the other side of the planet. The team felt that this mechanic could make the "game a lot of fun".
    •  Yoshi was added as a means of grabbing/onto objects and as a way for Mario to carry things around.
    •  Miyamoto would like to go for a little story as possible - he felt that Mario titles aren't suited to a story. He feels backstories and character development might "weigh down the bright and fun feel" of a game.
    •  Galaxy's director Yoshiaki Koizumi hope to bring more story elements in, but with a little (unfortunate) persuasion from Miyamoto he's agreed that there doesn't need to be as deep a story.
    •  However, the person carved out of a tree stump (in the trailer) has a little story.

New Zelda

•  Feels the industry has gotten into a habit of announcing/showing games too early.
    •  Felt Metroid announcement was more important game to show at E3, given Nintendo feels the event is where products to be released in the next 12-months or so would be discussed.
    •  The team have been focusing on gameplay/control elements, as opposed to visuals/story - and didn't want to waste efforts creating a trailer for E3 too soon.
    •  The current goal is to make MotionPlus a requirement to play the new Zelda.

Thanks to Wired

Read the full interview here:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/shigeru-miyamoto-interview/

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Yeah, it would be fun to see more empathize on story for Mario games.

Also, voice acting in the next Zelda game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " Yeah, it would be fun to see more empathize on story for Mario games. "
    Right, because that was such a good idea in Mario Galaxy. : |

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    Right, because that was such a good idea in Mario Galaxy. : | "
    What the hell are you talking about? There wasn't much of a story in Mario Galaxy.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Drebin_893
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    Right, because that was such a good idea in Mario Galaxy. : | "
    Yeah, exactly. It was. The ending broke my mind.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I just want a new Zelda to come out. I don't care at all about anything about it as long as Link is in it and he wears the same hat and uses a sword.

I'm just tired of waiting.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#7  Edited By TobyD81

If Nintendo really tried to resolve the entire Mario canon, I don't think I could handle it. The map that contains the whole of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sub-Con, Dinosaur Land, Delfino Island, and Super Mario Galaxy's astronomy would be a mess. How can Mario and Baby Mario both coexist at the same time and on the same race track? Is Mario really from Brooklyn or somewhere else? If he is, how did Donkey Kong make it to the Mushroom Kingdom? What's the brothers' real last name? Is Mario boning Peach or what? This series just has so many questions that it is too late to resolve them with a deeper story.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Drebin_893
    @TobyD81 said:
    " If Nintendo really tried to resolve the entire Mario canon, I don't think I could handle it. The map that contains the whole of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sub-Con, Dinosaur Land, Delfino Island, and Super Mario Galaxy's astronomy would be a mess. How can Mario and Baby Mario both coexist at the same time and on the same race track? Is Mario really from Brooklyn or somewhere else? If he is, how did Donkey Kong make it to the Mushroom Kingdom? What's the brothers' real last name? Is Mario boning Peach or what? This series just has so many questions that it is too late to resolve them with a deeper story. "
    Do you have friends? No? Okay then.
    TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By TobyD81
    @Drebin_893: My point is that I don't think anyone who plays Mario games is all that concerned how their events came about. They need no explanation or deep story.
    thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By thebipsnbeeps
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @TobyD81 said:
    " If Nintendo really tried to resolve the entire Mario canon, I don't think I could handle it. The map that contains the whole of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sub-Con, Dinosaur Land, Delfino Island, and Super Mario Galaxy's astronomy would be a mess. How can Mario and Baby Mario both coexist at the same time and on the same race track? Is Mario really from Brooklyn or somewhere else? If he is, how did Donkey Kong make it to the Mushroom Kingdom? What's the brothers' real last name? Is Mario boning Peach or what? This series just has so many questions that it is too late to resolve them with a deeper story. "
    "
    Oh I get it. So you're not an asshole, then ;)
    Anyways, Linkyshinks, you sound like you want story in a Mario game. Why? The only reason why Mario Galaxy was up there with the greatest games ever in my eyes was because it was amazingly fun (reiterate the "in my eyes" phrase here). I know that stories give games personalities, but Mario's weird and successful enough to not matter. I don't want to tune your reasons out, but why?
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Drebin_893
    @thebipsnbeeps said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @TobyD81 said:
    "
    Oh no, I am.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

I consider Super Mario Galaxy overrated.  It isn't a bad game, just not quite up to par with what everyone elses expectations.

basshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By basshero

@Godwind

Its one fo the best games of all time in my opinion. Everything in that game just flowed so well and it was nicely paced. My only issue with it was it was a bit too easy compared to some previous entries. I found mario Sunshine rock solid in places!

On the story front I agree that there dosnt need to be a deep story in mario games. The story telling bits in galaxy were really annoying, I just wanted to play more fo the game!
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@TobyD81 said:
    I agree
    but 
    Zelda's mindfuck of a timeline...?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @thebipsnbeeps said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @TobyD81 said:
    "
    Oh I get it. So you're not an asshole, then ;)Anyways, Linkyshinks, you sound like you want story in a Mario game. Why? The only reason why Mario Galaxy was up there with the greatest games ever in my eyes was because it was amazingly fun (reiterate the "in my eyes" phrase here). I know that stories give games personalities, but Mario's weird and successful enough to not matter. I don't want to tune your reasons out, but why? "

...where do I say that :?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew
    TobyD81 said:
    "How can Mario and Baby Mario both coexist at the same time and on the same race track?"
    I always consider Mario Kart and the various sports spin-offs non-canon. It's easier that way. Why would they be participating in go-kart races anyway?
    On the other hand, Mario Super Sluggers' attempt at a story keeps me awake at night as I try to figure out how Baby Mario and Baby Luigi can coexist with modern-day Mario and Luigi. They should never try to give the sports spin-offs plots. I'm the type of person who would try to fit them into the Mario "canon". :D
    thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thebipsnbeeps
    @Linkyshinks: when you said with a little (unfortunate) persuasion from Miyamoto he's agreed that there doesn't need to be as deep a story, but if you end up not caring either way, then nevermind I suppose. Still agree with Miyamoto, though.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dalai

I'm gonna take a left turn and compliment Miyamoto's take on game announcements.  Too many companies (especially Sony) have a habit of announcing games two or more years before release.  Hell, even Nintendo might have announced Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M too early if they're going to be late 2010 releases.  I can see why they needed to mention those games (hardcore appeasement) but we have to wait and wait and wait some more.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @thebipsnbeeps said:
    " @Linkyshinks: when you said with a little (unfortunate) persuasion from Miyamoto he's agreed that there doesn't need to be as deep a story, but if you end up not caring either way, then nevermind I suppose. Still agree with Miyamoto, though. "
    lol, I am am referring to what Yoshiaki-san said, and what all the designers at Nintendo say when Miyamoto " upends the tea table" (-Nintendo company joke, -Google it) It was unfortunate is what they all say, they never show any anger towards Miyamoto-san through respect :D.

I'm cool with, the princess is in another castle, in fact I am hoping it will return one day.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Wait, he didn't want to announce the New Zelda game at E3, because it would overshadow Metroid, but then he goes and talks about it a day later? I find that a little weird...
    However, I would like more a story like the story weaved by Paper Mario. I realllyyy liked that game.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By ThomasP

Yeah, they probably shouldn't show any Zelda footage until it's of EPIC quality... though if that were the case they never would have released a trailer for Twilight Princess... oh yeah, I went there. = )

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Nintendo is famous for little to no story and I hate it. No one plays games just to get to the end anymore. Most people play games for a good story. Sooner or later this just isnt going to cut it anymore.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, that was a very good interview and it sounds like Miyamoto is doing some good stuff. In fact I'm actually glad they haven't shown off the new Zelda yet and have concentrated on getting the game itself done before they start messing around with trailers and artwork.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

The Princess is in another castle. That's all I need in a Mario Game.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Endogene

Unrelated yet related, today i went to the beach and dug a hole, did not managed to reach China.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @thebipsnbeeps said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @TobyD81 said:
    "
    Oh no, I am.
    "
    You're trying too hard.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Drebin_893
    @TheJollyRajah said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @thebipsnbeeps said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    @TobyD81 said:
    "
    Oh no, I am.
    "
    You're trying too hard.
    "
    Oh no, I'm not.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Drebin_893
    @Endogene said:
    " Unrelated yet related, today i went to the beach and dug a hole, did not managed to reach China. "
    Then you were doing it wrong, frankly.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowayne

I wish it would support MotionPlus.
    I wish NSMB2 would support MotionPlus.
    Nintendo should force every Wii owner to buy one, so devs can take advantage of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Nintendo is famous for little to no story and I hate it. No one plays games just to get to the end anymore. Most people play games for a good story. Sooner or later this just isnt going to cut it anymore. "
    The thing is, I don't think that Nintendo's in house development is capable of making a deep story. That's why they make their second parties (Intelligent Systems and Camelot) do the dirty work when it comes to RPGs and Strategy Games. Plus, the ending of Super Mario Galaxy is perhaps the most insane and Meta thing ever done in a video game, if you think about it long enough.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Nintendo is famous for little to no story and I hate it. No one plays games just to get to the end anymore. Most people play games for a good story. Sooner or later this just isnt going to cut it anymore. "
    The thing is, I don't think that Nintendo's in house development is capable of making a deep story. That's why they make their second parties (Intelligent Systems and Camelot) do the dirty work when it comes to RPGs and Strategy Games. Plus, the ending of Super Mario Galaxy is perhaps the most insane and Meta thing ever done in a video game, if you think about it long enough. "
    Yeah I loved that ending and I would love to see a game where Mario says "Oh Shit! This is going to happen over and over again if we don't stop it" and the game is Peach Mario and Bowser trying to stop history from repeating itself again.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne
    Most people play games for a good story.
    That's impossible. There are only 2-3 games with a good story, the rest imitate cheap action movies.

I am a huge fan of narrative done right. That's one reason I enjoy playing Wii so much - it doesn't insult me with embarrassing attempts at "storytelling".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.