Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 23, 2008

Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon chronicles the return of tube-toting Raidou the 14th as he cracks another demon-infested case in this latest Devil Summoner title.

30 Days of Gaming : Day 12 + Actual Blog Post

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By aurahack

I've got an actual blog to post up so I'll do so at the end. Before that, it's day 12 time! 

No Caption Provided

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abbadon 

No Caption Provided
    And the winner for the longest title is... yeah, Devil Summoner 2. Actually, the first game's title might beat it in length of characters. 

Err, whatever the case, DS2 is a fantastic game that a lot of you might not have actually picked up on your radar, what with the Persona series gaining a rapid amount of traction since 3. And that, friends, is a gosh-darned shame it just so happens that Devil Summoner 2 is one of the best action RPGs available right now. 

The game is set in early-century Japan and has a look and feel that's completely unique from anything else you'll play on the PS2. The music, the design of the world, characters and menus are all period-perfect and the gameplay is loads of fun. The combat is completely real-time and features an excellent balance of gunplay, swordplay and magic/summoning-- all happening at a pace that keeps things both managable and exciting. The story is great, the dialogue is well-written and the story's paced in a way that I sincerely wished more RPGs would mimic. There's an incredible amount of side-quests to take on, too, so fans from the older-school of the genre will definitely be able to find something to like in this one, though the game's distinctly unique setting and gameplay will without a doubt leave both old and new players room to grow fond. 

It can't be too expensive at this point and last I checked, my local EB still had a few copies. I'm sure you can find it if you give it a look. If you've got a functioning PS2 and you're looking for some seriously excellent questing, I highly suggest you check out Devil Summoner 2. It shouldn't be missed if you're a fan of both SMT and RPGs in general. Plus, you'll get an awesome plushie of Jack Frost in a Raidou outfit. :D 

D'AWWWW LOOKATIT 
    D'AWWWW LOOKATIT 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack  
    Feb 23rd, 2011 - Day 9: Saddest Game Scene  
    Feb 26th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 1)  
    March 11th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 2)    
    March 12th, 2011 - Day 11: Gaming System of Choice  
    ========================================= 

So, here's an actual blog, which is really just a few paragraphs I wanted to donate to stuff. I went to go see The Adjustment Bureau just about 3 hours ago with my girlfriend (and ended up really liking it, despite being marred by a slightly silly ending) and it turns out that Nintendo set up a booth there to demo the 3DS. Eager to see the tech in my hands for the first time, we both checked it out and... well, it's neat. 

Like this, except in 3D ... until I move my head an inch to the left 
    I'll be upfront and say that I'm honestly amazed that the 3D actually works as advertised, and that it looks surprisingly convincing. I got to fiddle around with one of their AR games and Street Fighter IV 3D, or whatever they're calling it. The immediate thing that I noticed is that as soon as you move it a little bit off-axis of your direct line of vision, the 3D effect completely goes away and you're left with a confusing screen that looks like it's doubling on itself. While I understand the limitations of the technology, I was rather disappointed that it was that sensitive. I was essentially forced to play with the system on the demo stand or clasping it firmly to make sure I wasn't messing up my view. While this probably wouldn't be an issue while playing at home or something, I play my DSi and PSP on the bus and metro to and from school, both of which rattle and shake enough to toss me around in the dinky little seats that the city refuse to spend more budget money on. If I'm holding a system that absolutely requires me to have a dead-on line of sight for the 3D effect to work, but will not do so where I need it to, then I have absolutely no reason to spend $250 on it. In fact, at that point, I'm just spending money on the same system with an analog stick and a widescreen upper monitor. I've done some pretty awful purchasing decisions in my life, but that would probably top the list. And that's not to mention that SSFIV ran at half the framerate in 3D. It sounds like a silly thing to complain about but believe me, it makes all the difference when playing it for real. 

And yeah, I get that it's more powerful under the hood but that's not why I want to play games on the go. That it's on par on terms of the Wii is irrelevant to me. That's not what I'm looking for when I'm playing games away from home. I want something to distract me and pass time, not for something to fuckin' amaze me wherever I am because that gets old-- fast. Right, PSP? ... wait, no, DJMAX 3, I swear I didn't mean it that way.  

No. 

NO. 

NOT... 

AHHH FUCK 

No Caption Provided
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By aurahack

I've got an actual blog to post up so I'll do so at the end. Before that, it's day 12 time! 

No Caption Provided

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abbadon 

No Caption Provided
    And the winner for the longest title is... yeah, Devil Summoner 2. Actually, the first game's title might beat it in length of characters. 

Err, whatever the case, DS2 is a fantastic game that a lot of you might not have actually picked up on your radar, what with the Persona series gaining a rapid amount of traction since 3. And that, friends, is a gosh-darned shame it just so happens that Devil Summoner 2 is one of the best action RPGs available right now. 

The game is set in early-century Japan and has a look and feel that's completely unique from anything else you'll play on the PS2. The music, the design of the world, characters and menus are all period-perfect and the gameplay is loads of fun. The combat is completely real-time and features an excellent balance of gunplay, swordplay and magic/summoning-- all happening at a pace that keeps things both managable and exciting. The story is great, the dialogue is well-written and the story's paced in a way that I sincerely wished more RPGs would mimic. There's an incredible amount of side-quests to take on, too, so fans from the older-school of the genre will definitely be able to find something to like in this one, though the game's distinctly unique setting and gameplay will without a doubt leave both old and new players room to grow fond. 

It can't be too expensive at this point and last I checked, my local EB still had a few copies. I'm sure you can find it if you give it a look. If you've got a functioning PS2 and you're looking for some seriously excellent questing, I highly suggest you check out Devil Summoner 2. It shouldn't be missed if you're a fan of both SMT and RPGs in general. Plus, you'll get an awesome plushie of Jack Frost in a Raidou outfit. :D 

D'AWWWW LOOKATIT 
    D'AWWWW LOOKATIT 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack  
    Feb 23rd, 2011 - Day 9: Saddest Game Scene  
    Feb 26th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 1)  
    March 11th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 2)    
    March 12th, 2011 - Day 11: Gaming System of Choice  
    ========================================= 

So, here's an actual blog, which is really just a few paragraphs I wanted to donate to stuff. I went to go see The Adjustment Bureau just about 3 hours ago with my girlfriend (and ended up really liking it, despite being marred by a slightly silly ending) and it turns out that Nintendo set up a booth there to demo the 3DS. Eager to see the tech in my hands for the first time, we both checked it out and... well, it's neat. 

I'll be upfront and say that I'm honestly amazed that the 3D actually works as advertised, and that it looks surprisingly convincing. I got to fiddle around with one of their AR games and Street Fighter IV 3D, or whatever they're calling it. The immediate thing that I noticed is that as soon as you move it a little bit off-axis of your direct line of vision, the 3D effect completely goes away and you're left with a confusing screen that looks like it's doubling on itself. While I understand the limitations of the technology, I was rather disappointed that it was that sensitive. I was essentially forced to play with the system on the demo stand or clasping it firmly to make sure I wasn't messing up my view. While this probably wouldn't be an issue while playing at home or something, I play my DSi and PSP on the bus and metro to and from school, both of which rattle and shake enough to toss me around in the dinky little seats that the city refuse to spend more budget money on. If I'm holding a system that absolutely requires me to have a dead-on line of sight for the 3D effect to work, but will not do so where I need it to, then I have absolutely no reason to spend $250 on it. In fact, at that point, I'm just spending money on the same system with an analog stick and a widescreen upper monitor. I've done some pretty awful purchasing decisions in my life, but that would probably top the list. And that's not to mention that SSFIV ran at half the framerate in 3D. It sounds like a silly thing to complain about but believe me, it makes all the difference when playing it for real. 

And yeah, I get that it's more powerful under the hood but that's not why I want to play games on the go. That it's on par on terms of the Wii is irrelevant to me. That's not what I'm looking for when I'm playing games away from home. I want something to distract me and pass time, not for something to fuckin' amaze me wherever I am because that gets old-- fast. Right, PSP? ... wait, no, DJMAX 3, I swear I didn't mean it that way.  

No. 

NO. 

NOT... 

AHHH FUCK 

No Caption Provided
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By aurahack

Wow. The Samsung Captivate's camera doesn't lend itself too well to unnatural light sources. Gross.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @aurahack said:
    " Wow. The Samsung Captivate's camera doesn't lend itself too well to unnatural light sources. Gross. "
    Even though it technically has one mounted on the damn thing? Anyway, everybody should probably play Cocoron, since not enough people know about Cocoron. It's just me, DeceasedCrab, and the five people who made it.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By PixelPrinny

I still need to play Devil Summoner 2 >.> One of these days if I can find a copy of it for a decent price! I'll prolly just hafta get it off of Ebay once I'm finished my current pile of games. 

I hear ya on your thoughts about the 3DS. I'm definitely passing on it for a good while. Once there's a solid number of RPGs on it I'll probably pick it up (those are really the only games I play on portable systems these days anyhow) but until then I think I'll be fine.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aurahack
    @Video_Game_King: It's actually one of the rare modern phones without an LED flashlight. Disappointing, since it performs equally as poor in lowlight conditions. :( I am also not one of the two and 5 mentioned in your post, I'm afraid. 

@PixelPrinny: You should! Ebay has it for about $80, though. Or something like that, last I checked. I still have a sealed Limited Edition that's sitting atop my bookshelf. I'm sure it'll be worth something in a few years, haha.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I own Devil Summoner 2, but to my shame I have yet to play it.  However, I am totally donating the Raiho plush to my brother and his wife as a gift for their soon-to-be newborn baby. :)

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By wunder_

Mmm, Shin Megami Tensei.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By recroulette

I bought that game solely for the Raiho plush. (Was a dark time, leave me alone) 
     The game was pretty good for the short time I played it, too bad I never finish JRPGs anymore.  

Gitaroo Man aside. Everyone should play Heavy Rain. While flawed, it's still something that is hard to find in games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.