Soul Hackers announced for NA!

#1 Edited by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

After 16 years, Soul Hackers finally leaves Japan in the form of the 3DS port. Atlus released a teaser trailer just moments ago:

I've been playing the Japanese version since its release in late August, and my thoughts are that, while this is a game that will squarely appeal to those who like the main series SMT games, those players will eat it up. Some of its 90s obtuseness remains, while options have been added to the game to help smooth the experience regardless.

It took me a few hours to really get over the weirdly choppy dungeon framerate and some menu clunkiness, but once I did, I was hooked in the best ways. But for all the clunky baggage that comes from 32-bit RPGs, Soul Hackers really has the type of personality you'd only get from a game from that era.

Date given for release is sometime in Spring 2013.

#2 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

show me how to canhur, ATLUS

#3 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

You can always count on Atlus to re-release all their titles eventually for handhelds.

No, I'm not bitter at all about the lack of Persona 5 news. :P

#4 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

oh for the love of christ

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2035 posts) -

Does this mean there's hope for North America getting Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for PSP? We need to finish that trilogy on handhelds, yo!

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

@Cincaid said:

oh for the love of christ

Didn't mean to offend you man. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the fans of these games that they get the chance to play them.

#7 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

Does this mean there's hope for North America getting Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for PSP? We need to finish that trilogy on handhelds, yo!

An excellent question likely with an unfortunate answer. EP was released in Japan a few months before Soul Hackers, so it's odd we haven't heard anything yet. I wouldn't even count it being on the PSP being a negative, since I think Atlus last released a Growlanser game sometime in that timeframe. If we don't hear about it within a couple months, then it's probably not coming over.

#8 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

I might check this out, but I don't seem to be able to get into the games outside of the Persona series as much.

#9 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2035 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

An excellent question likely with an unfortunate answer. EP was released in Japan a few months before Soul Hackers, so it's odd we haven't heard anything yet. I wouldn't even count it being on the PSP being a negative, since I think Atlus last released a Growlanser game sometime in that timeframe. If we don't hear about it within a couple months, then it's probably not coming over.

Ah well, I guess me finding the PS1 version of the game wasn't all for naught! In that respect I do "technically" have the complete trilogy.

I could've sworn the Japanese PSP Eternal Punishment had some pretty cool extra stuff on it, though...

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Better late than never!

#11 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Didn't mean to offend you man. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the fans of these games that they get the chance to play them.

None taken. But this game isn't Persona, and most of the Shin Megami Tensei games aren't Persona. There is a large schism in the SMT fanbase, and comments like these that pop up immediately upon news of something non-Persona get a little old and only serve to reinforce the large gulf between the series' interested parties.

However, I'm very much looking forward to P5 as well. I'm sure when any solid news on P5 comes out there will be a dozen threads created immediately here with hundreds of responses. This game will probably only get this one. And I bet that's really all Soul Hackers ever wanted: this small little spotlight, 15 minutes in the sun, then it will go back underground and be forgotten by all but those who really knew it, and those who took the time to take a break from the Persona party happening upstairs to give it a pat on the back and a cordial smile saying, "You did good, Soul Hackers. You drew a clear line between old and modern SMT. You did good."

#12 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

You can always count on Atlus to re-release all their titles eventually for handhelds.

I mean this has more value than P4:G because this has never been released in English, so yeah.

Also pretty sure this game relates to the Persona 2 detective agency (I THINK, pretty sure the lady detective came from If...)

#13 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Also pretty sure this game relates to the Persona 2 detective agency (I THINK, pretty sure the lady detective came from If...)

Yes, the Kuzunoha Detective Agency is in P2, but of course it originates with the original Devil Summoner. I think P2's is an entirely different branch, though, which is why Tamaki is in it. Soul Hackers features the original characters, Kyouji and Rei Reiho, in minor roles. Otherwise it's all Spookies, all the time.

#14 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -

I literally know nothing about the first two devil summoner games, just like I know nothing about the original famicom games (before this whole thing became SHIN megami tensei).

I still want to beat SMT2 one of these days :( but that game is MAD OLD

#15 Posted by Pepsiman (2485 posts) -

I should really get around to finishing my Saturn copy of the original game at some point. Like you, I definitely think that there's a certain clunkiness inherent to the experience that probably wouldn't go away short of Atlus just flat out remaking the game, but I think enough of it still works today that it's definitely worth experiencing for those that like more traditional SMT experiences. It's probably the oldest of the mainline-ish games I can still play without getting frustrated, at least.

#16 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

@Eirikr: I fully understand! I'll leave my somewhat snide original comment intact in case more want to rip me a new one. ^^

@Animasta: I should probably have done some more research on this title before sounding like a douche, hehe.

#17 Posted by Levius (1169 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@Eirikr said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

Ah well, I guess me finding the PS1 version of the game wasn't all for naught! In that respect I do "technically" have the complete trilogy.

I could've sworn the Japanese PSP Eternal Punishment had some pretty cool extra stuff on it, though...

Yeah, there is an extra storyline based around Tatsuya in the PSP game which sounded cool. I hope they could at least put the original on PSN for completeness and so the Vita could become the almost ultimate Persona machine.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5839 posts) -

FUCK YEAH.

I'm all for more SMT, can't wait.

#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Where's Eternal Punishment, dammit. In P4G, they have references to every Persona game (Persona 1; Persona 3, FES and P3P; Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena) in the TV Listings feature except for Persona 2. It's like they want to forget it ever existed.

Anyways, this isn't Persona. I'm interested in Soul Hackers for sure, but I wonder if I'll be able to get over the oldschool clunkiness. I managed to play through Revelations: Persona and I enjoyed that somewhat, so maybe I'll be able to tolerate this too (if it has interesting characters and an interesting story, that is).

#20 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I'm pretty sure this is way better than the first persona game.

honestly the super famicom games were better, combat wise, than the first persona game

#21 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Wooooooooooooo! Excellent news! I look forward to getting my English language soul hacking on next year.

#22 Posted by AltonBrown (951 posts) -

Any SMT news is good news to me. Can't wait.

#23 Posted by Amethus (68 posts) -

Sweet! Been looking forward to this. There's just something about the dungeon crawling in SMT games that I enjoy.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

Oh man, I didn't even realize this was announced until Amazon recommended it to me. Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.