Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

A remake of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Overclocked adds an eighth day to the storyline, more demons, voice acting, and other new features.

Coming to the 3DS.........IN THE USA

• 80 results
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:

" @mutha3 said:

"Dude, its terrible. Unless the game significantly opens up after the 5 or so hours I played it... "
    ..........*sigh*

"This game sucks. I only played the first five hours, but that's because it sucks so hard. I'm sure the rest of this massive game sucks, too; that's how much it sucks."
    @mutha3 said:
    "@Video_Game_King said:
    " @Hailinel:   I've played a lot, and I haven't seen anything worse. Point me to something worse than Devil Survivor. "
     -Bahamut Lagoon -Final Fantasy Tactics - Phantom Brave -Fire Emblem 1-3, 6 and 8  ETC. ETC. "

The shit has hit the fan. * transforms into Raphael, starts glowing with energy* Any last words before I saw my stupid animé catchphrase? "
    I have a large dick.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel
    @Video_Game_King:  "Before you saw" is terrible grammar when speaking in the present tense. :P

And what does Yahtzee have to do with this?  If he didn't like Bahamut Lagoon in the first five hours of playing it, why should he expect his experience with the game to significantly improve over time?
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Hailinel: 

I was gonna saw it in half, because those things were stupid.

Because it's a pretty long game. It seems kinda stupid to judge such a long game based on FIVE HOURS. It's Final Fantasy XIII all over again, and I like that game, too.
    PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By PK_Koopa

There better be a UK release this time. Seriously I was hypedwhen I heard about the original Devil Survivor but it was hard finding a decent price for that game and then paying the money to import it. When I finally found a good deal I heard about this. So yeah, I really hope it comes out over here, especially with the 3DS' region lock and all.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:

" @Hailinel:   because those things were stupid.  Because it's a pretty long game. It seems kinda stupid to judge such a long game based on FIVE HOURS. It's Final Fantasy XIII all over again, and I like that game, too. "

Does it open up as significantly as FFXIII does 20 hours in? Because the combat system wasn't doing anything for me at all the couple of hours I played the game. Imma take a wild guess and assume "no".

PS. I don't like FFXIII so you see where the decision to stick with a game has led me!

oh wait, I'm supposed to be dead right? excuse me: ARGH!!
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By luce
    @mutha3 said:
    "@Video_Game_King said:
    " @Hailinel:   I've played a lot, and I haven't seen anything worse. Point me to something worse than Devil Survivor. "
     -Bahamut Lagoon -Final Fantasy Tactics - Phantom Brave -Fire Emblem 1-3, 6 and 8  ETC. ETC. "

No Caption Provided
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Hailinel
    @Video_Game_King said:

" @Hailinel:   I was gonna saw it in half, because those things were stupid.  Because it's a pretty long game. It seems kinda stupid to judge such a long game based on FIVE HOURS. It's Final Fantasy XIII all over again, and I like that game, too. "

The Final Fantasy XIII argument doesn't work with me.  I started enjoying the game from minute one and never had the issues that others claimed to have in the first twenty hours.  I played through that whole section and watched things unfold, interested to see where it would go.

@luce: To be fair, the original Final Fantasy Tactics didn't age particularly well mechanically.  Even the PSP version still has some hang-ups that are annoying.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By X19
    @Hailinel said:
    " @X19:  What do you mean Kid Icarus isn't new?  Uprising plays absolutely nothing like the old games, and the last time that there was a Kid Icarus game was on the Game Boy in 1990.  There are people that were born, grew up, and graduated high school since the last time a Kid Icarus game was released. "
    You just answered your own question i'm talking about the NES and game boy game. It's been in the Nintendo library for years and they're bringing it back as a nostalgia booster. I realize Nintendo are clever and wait till a new generation are playing their console who then think Mario, Zelda etc are new but really they're not. Please understand i'm talking about the world, story and characters and not anything else. I want Nintendo to experiment and take risks with these three aspects as well as game mechanics and their hardware.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mutha3

@Hailinel said:

"The Final Fantasy XIII argument doesn't work with me.  I started enjoying the game from minute one and never had the issues that others claimed to have in the first twenty hours.  I played through that whole section and watched things unfold, interested to see where it would go.

Storywise, I did prefer the first half.
     @luce said:

" @mutha3 said:

"@Video_Game_King said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    No Caption Provided
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hailinel
    @X19 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @X19:  What do you mean Kid Icarus isn't new?  Uprising plays absolutely nothing like the old games, and the last time that there was a Kid Icarus game was on the Game Boy in 1990.  There are people that were born, grew up, and graduated high school since the last time a Kid Icarus game was released. "
    You just answered your own question i'm talking about the NES and game boy game. It's been in the Nintendo library for years and they're bringing it back as a nostalgia booster. I realize Nintendo are clever and wait till a new generation are playing their console who then think Mario, Zelda etc are new but really they're not. Please understand i'm talking about the world, story and characters and not anything else. I want Nintendo to experiment and take risks with these three aspects as well as game mechanics and their hardware. "
    It's not like they haven't taken risks, even with established series and characters.  Remember the shitstorm that Other M caused about five months ago?  Yes, it was a Metroid game, but the way that it was designed wasn't within what most people would consider Nintendo's comfort zone when it comes to the handling of their core franchises.  Or look at some of the games that they've published on the DS over the last few years.  Hotel Dusk was a surprisingly mature adventure game for Nintendo to handle.  The Ouendan series and EBA were completely out of left field.  Advance Wars:  Days of Ruin upended the happy-go-lucky vibe of the earlier games for a narrative tone far more serious than what the series is known for.  If Nintendo only played on sure bets, Samus wouldn't have spoken, they'd never have published Hotel Dusk or Ouendan, and we'd have probably gotten Advance Wars:  Dual Strike 2 instead of Days of Ruin.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Hailinel: 

Here's how my opinion evolved: at first, I didn't really like it, since it was coming off as a bit cliché (I was expect Sazh to say, "I'm getting to old for this shit"). However, once I got the magic and jobs and stuff, it became OK. It wasn't until I was beating shit up with a robot that I loved the game. It's like what happened with Final Fantasy VII, only it was a robot instead of a motorcycle.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By JJOR64

Isn't this game similar to Pokemon?  Go around collecting/battle monsters.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Hailinel
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Isn't this game similar to Pokemon?  Go around collecting/battle monsters. "
    No, it's a strategy RPG.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By X19
    @Hailinel: 

I'm not counting Other M as new as it's still part of the Metroid franchise and Advance Wars was on the Game Boy Colour. I will give you Hotel Dusk and the beat games but really there not massive full on Nintendo games are they? I just want Nintendo to tell there artists who are probably arguing over what the next Link will look like to step back and let their creativity run free and make designs for new worlds and characters. Nintendo imo arn't taking risks and prefer sticking to their perfect business formula which has worked for them for years.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By JJOR64
    @Hailinel said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " Isn't this game similar to Pokemon?  Go around collecting/battle monsters. "
    No, it's a strategy RPG. "
    Otay.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hailinel
    @X19 said:
    " @Hailinel:  I'm not counting Other M as new as it's still part of the Metroid franchise and Advance Wars was on the Game Boy Colour. I will give you Hotel Dusk and the beat games but really there not massive full on Nintendo games are they? I just want Nintendo to tell there artists who are probably arguing over what the next Link will look like to step back and let their creativity run free and make designs for new worlds and characters. Nintendo imo arn't taking risks and prefer sticking to their perfect business formula which has worked for them for years. "
    How is it not a risk to try new things with established series, or to experiment with new IP?  You don't think that a new submarine game with no history behind its existence save a little seen tech demo for the original DS isn't new or a risk?
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By X19
    @Hailinel: I'm not talking about taking risks with established series i'm just talking about new IPs. Do you see that submarine game as having the ability to make ppl want to buy a 3DS? I know Nintendo could start a new franchise which could do what Zelda and Mario did for them years ago. I'm sure there are ppl like me who spent their childhood playing Zelda and Mario games and when we see a new game in the franchise we have no desire to play it. This isn't because their bad games it's just when I think of Zelda I think of "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" on the Game Boy fat. If Nintendo could latch me on with a new world, story and characters along with all the game mechanics which are always so well implemented for each of their consoles, I would buy a 3DS.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hailinel
    @X19:  Building new IPs takes time.  Steel Diver might not ever be as big as Zelda, but it's a new IP and something to experiment with.  Heck, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid weren't guaranteed successes in the beginning, either.  A game like Steel Diver could crash out of the gate, or it could prove to be a success; one that grows into its own franchise much the way that a game like Etrian Odyssey did, as it went from a niche dungeon crawler to its own successful little series.  Same goes for Nintendo and Camelot's Golden Sun.

And technically, while Kid Icarus is not a new IP or even a new world, it is a world that had never been properly explored.  The plot of the original was paper thin, and the Game Boy game was largely forgettable with an antagonist that no one really cared about or a plot of any substance.  I'm not saying that Uprising promises to have a complex narrative of any sort, but there is potential in its characters and world that have gone largely untapped for over two decades now.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By Binman88

I really liked the DS game up until the point I realised it took about a million different story paths towards good and bad endings. Not my kind of thing, and for some reason it put me off playing it through to the end.  

I played it about halfway through twice - found it difficult the first time because I didn't try hard enough to make decent demons, then blazed through sections that had previously given me trouble (like that fight with Beldr) on my second half-playthrough when I started being a bit smarter about things. I recently got Strange Journey and I've been enjoying that a lot more.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#70  Edited By donutfever

Huh, the name changed. Over Clock - Overclocked. 

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mutha3
    @DonutFever: it got de-engrishfied.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By Catolf

NEHHHH I wanted to wait on getting a 3DS I just got a DSI for crying out loud... I KNOW.. I'll just buy the games I wanna play later when I finally get a 3DS.. yes... yes this is good..

I have devil survivor and enjoying it, I'm only slightly stuck at a part but I needed to do some leveling anyway.

ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By ClamFTW
    @mutha3 said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @mutha3:   Bahamut Lagoon rocks. What the hell are you talking about? When I first heard of Devil Survivor, I thought it was essentially going to be a DS version of Bahamut Lagoon. Unfortunately, it was nowhere near as awesome.

Dude, its terrible. Unless the game significantly opens up after the 5 or so hours I played it, I can't imagine the combat system being anything but fairly unremarkable, slow as hell schlock.

And isn't Warsong basically Fire Emblem on a massive scale?

Sounds good on paper. 

Too bad any form of actually making strategies and map design, the things that make FE games stand out, also get lost in that increased scope. What you're left with is a game that does neither number-crunching like most SRPG or brainteasing like Fire Emblem.

The first game even steals the plot of the first Fire emblem, so it's kinda confusing that you hate it while liking Shadow Dragon and Monshou no Nazo. 

I said FE1, didn't I? You're probably  right about 3, though. I never bothered playing it.

EDIT:
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Just to confirm, you're ragging on Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced, right?  Because if you mean the original  FF:T, or FF:T's PSP remake, it's time for you to get stabbed.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ClamFTW: 

You mean his insults against Bahamut Lagoon, Warsong, Monshou no Nazo, and Phantom Brave didn't do it for you?
    ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ClamFTW

To be fair I've never played any of those, which is sad since I have a factory sealed copy of Phantom Brave AND the strategy guide stored somewhere in a box.  Regardless, FF:T, especially the relocalized remake, is worth stabbing over.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By WickedCestus

I kinda want this, but the 3DS is definitely not worth it for me. I'm kinda interested in this game now though, but I'll probably just end up getting the original since it will be cheaper and not cause me to have to get a whole new system.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#77  Edited By AgentJ

I haven't played my copy of Devil Survivor yet, so perhaps I'll sell that copy (i got it cheap anyway) and pick up the 3DS version, when I pick up a 3DS. Though that will likely still be some time from now... I guess I'll wait and see whether it looks any different first. 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Video_Game_King
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mutha3
    @ClamFTW said:
    " To be fair I've never played any of those, which is sad since I have a factory sealed copy of Phantom Brave AND the strategy guide stored somewhere in a box.  Regardless, FF:T, especially the relocalized remake, is worth stabbing over. "
    I ain't raggin' on FFT(though I do dislike the influence it had on SRPG's), I'm just saying Devil Survivor is a better game.

You're a bit too late on the whole stabbing thing, though. In case you didn't notice, I was killed a page ago by a gay anime vampire.
    ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ClamFTW
    @mutha3 said:
    " @ClamFTW said:
    " To be fair I've never played any of those, which is sad since I have a factory sealed copy of Phantom Brave AND the strategy guide stored somewhere in a box.  Regardless, FF:T, especially the relocalized remake, is worth stabbing over. "
    I ain't raggin' on FFT(though I do dislike the influence it had on SRPG's), I'm just saying Devil Survivor is a better game.  You're a bit too late on the whole stabbing thing, though. In case you didn't notice, I was killed a page ago by a gay anime vampire. "
    Well I will settle for a quick kick the the ribs of your gay vampire-addled corpse, then.  FF:T is everything I wanted in an SRPG - fantastic and involved story, excellent job system, side quests, etc. etc. etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.