Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

A remake of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Overclocked adds an eighth day to the storyline, more demons, voice acting, and other new features.

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked = Heartbreaking

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I just... why do these things keep happening? There is zero 3d (gimmick aside, the screen is higher res and much sharper in 3d. So even if there is not shit flying at the camera, it's like 480p vs 720p) and the fully voiced is shitty English voicing. I passed up on the original like 5 times for $10 because I was expecting more.

I thought ATLUS would do right by the fans.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The voice acting isn't that bad. And there's no requirement that states that 3DS games must make heavy use the 3D effect. The game is exactly what Atlus claimed it would be. An enhanced version of the original game with new content.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

At least you get an extra chapter

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Did they add in stylus support that was missing in the previous game?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    I certainly hope they did. (Also, I think I know the reason why the top two posters are me and Hailinel.)
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    I certainly hope they did. (Also, I think I know the reason why the top two posters are me and Hailinel.)

They did not add stylus support. After playing so much Disgaea on PSP I can't imagine wanting to use a stylus.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@Hailinel said:

The voice acting isn't that bad. And there's no requirement that states that 3DS games must make heavy use the 3D effect. The game is exactly what Atlus claimed it would be. An enhanced version of the original game with new content.

The voice acting is an opinion, agree to disagree.

Also I'm not saying 3D is a requirement. What I'm saying is in the 3D mode, everything looks better even if it's not '3d'. Here's an experiment, pull up the audio app and switch to the Excitebike visualizer. Turn the 3d all the way off and then nudge it barely on. There's a sharpness and fidelity that you get even without the depth and for the few times in Devil Survivor where the 3D is turned on, you get that as well.

Complaining that they're not utilizing a mode that makes the graphics look better is reasonable in my opinion. The same way it's fair game to be disappointed if a game does not support HD when it could really benefit from it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@BlaineBlaine said:

@Hailinel said:

Also I'm not saying 3D is a requirement. What I'm saying is in the 3D mode, everything looks better even if it's not '3d'. Here's an experiment, pull up the audio app and switch to the Excitebike visualizer. Turn the 3d all the way off and then nudge it barely on. There's a sharpness and fidelity that you get even without the depth and for the few times in Devil Survivor where the 3D is turned on, you get that as well.

Complaining that they're not utilizing a mode that makes the graphics look better is reasonable in my opinion. The same way it's fair game to be disappointed if a game does not support HD when it could really benefit from it.

Would 3D really make Devil Survivor look better? The majority of the games action takes place on the touch screen, and the presentation is largely confined to static character portraits. There's really not much about the game that would be improved simply by making 3D conversions.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I've got the DS one. Haven't got around to playing it tho.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@Hailinel said:

@BlaineBlaine said:

@Hailinel said:

Would 3D really make Devil Survivor look better? The majority of the games action takes place on the touch screen, and the presentation is largely confined to static character portraits. There's really not much about the game that would be improved simply by making 3D conversions.

Ghost Recon was the opposite. I suppose I should have clarified that as well... That's part of what I have issue with.

You have two screens. One is larger and, arguably, offers a better picture. Why would you [b]not[/b] put the majority of the game on it?!

The answer could be "no", but if you have two tvs in your house and one of them is the 'nice' tv (not the one in the bedroom, but the one in the living room) which tv are you playing your new, exciting game on? Your answer could be an old CRT. I don't know what you'd prefer, but I'll bet dollars to donuts the majority of people would rather play on the bigger, 'better' display.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By takua108

The voice acting is ANIME VOICE ACTING, love it or hate it (or be indifferent to it, like me). I don't get all the hate; it's pretty much on par with Persona 3 & 4.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By YI_Orange

So as a lover of Atlus games, is this worth it or would I be better off getting the original?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Nux

@YI_Orange: Play Overclocked. The voice acting is not bad at all, as someone who played the original it was kinda hard at first to get used to it but it quickly grew on me. If you are a fan of ATLUS games it a good buy. Plus you get an 8th day that was not in the original.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Nux said:

@YI_Orange: Play Overclocked. The voice acting is not bad at all, as someone who played the original it was kinda hard at first to get used to it but it quickly grew on me. If you are a fan of ATLUS games it a good buy. Plus you get an 8th day that was not in the original.

As a guy that's never played something like this and is into crazy Japanese/crazy anything, would you recommend this? I most assuredly would play on easy.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Nux

@RoyCampbell said:

@Nux said:

As a guy that's never played something like this and is into crazy Japanese/crazy anything, would you recommend this? I most assuredly would play on easy.

I highly recommend you play this game. Its my favorite game on the 3DS and is my second favorite DS game. The story is well done, if you like any ATLUS game you will like this one as well. Overclocked is a bit harder then the original so if your new to this kind of game playing on easy is a good choice.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Nux said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Nux said:

I highly recommend you play this game. Its my favorite game on the 3DS and is my second favorite DS game. The story is well done, if you like any ATLUS game you will like this one as well. Overclocked is a bit harder then the original so if your new to this kind of game playing on easy is a good choice.

Thanks man. Lord knows I need something to play on the 3DS; this seems like a good fit. I'm also going to give Star Fox 64 3D a try.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlaineBlaine said:

I just... why do these things keep happening? There is zero 3d (gimmick aside, the screen is higher res and much sharper in 3d. So even if there is not shit flying at the camera, it's like 480p vs 720p) and the fully voiced is shitty English voicing. I passed up on the original like 5 times for $10 because I was expecting more. I thought ATLUS would do right by the fans.

Sorry for reviving this old post, but your comments made me really want to reply. Haha. First of all, 3DS games are actually lower resolution when you run it in 3D. The top screen is 800 × 240 without 3D and 400 × 240 for each eye in 3D, thus making it lower resolution. Read tech specs here. This is the reason I don't like 3D in general (glasses or not) is because you actually lose visual fidelity and it usually negatively affects the framerate. It may be that the 3D effect tricking you into thinking it's sharper because it generally creates a greater contrast between the subject and the background.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@wewantsthering said:

@BlaineBlaine said:

I just... why do these things keep happening? There is zero 3d (gimmick aside, the screen is higher res and much sharper in 3d. So even if there is not shit flying at the camera, it's like 480p vs 720p) and the fully voiced is shitty English voicing. I passed up on the original like 5 times for $10 because I was expecting more. I thought ATLUS would do right by the fans.

Sorry for reviving this old post, but your comments made me really want to reply. Haha. First of all, 3DS games are actually lower resolution when you run it in 3D. The top screen is 800 × 240 without 3D and 400 × 240 for each eye in 3D, thus making it lower resolution. Read tech specs here. This is the reason I don't like 3D in general (glasses or not) is because you actually lose visual fidelity and it usually negatively affects the framerate. It may be that the 3D effect tricking you into thinking it's sharper because it generally creates a greater contrast between the subject and the background.

So... you think that turning on 3d makes half the resolution disappear? If you have 800 lines, alternating black and white, and point all the black at the left eye and all the white at the right eye... you suddenly have only 400 pixels?

No, you have 400 per eye, 800 total. You can say the same thing about any display. The only way you'd lose image data is if you only had one eye. You'd only see black pixels or white pixels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlaineBlaine said:

@wewantsthering said:

@BlaineBlaine said:

So... you think that turning on 3d makes half the resolution disappear? If you have 800 lines, alternating black and white, and point all the black at the left eye and all the white at the right eye... you suddenly have only 400 pixels?

No, you have 400 per eye, 800 total. You can say the same thing about any display. The only way you'd lose image data is if you only had one eye. You'd only see black pixels or white pixels.

Yes I do think that because the 400 pixels for each eye is to express the image for the entire screen for each eye. It doesn't only show the left side of the screen for the left eye. Although each eye is close to a particular side, it can still see the other side. When you do the full 800 pixels, it expresses the entire space at that resolution for both eyes. Do you see what I'm getting at? Most people wouldn't notice, but there is a difference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.