Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 15, 2009

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is a hybrid Strategy/turn-based RPG with three-on-three command-based battles in which you summon monsters in modern day Tokyo. The plot revolves around preventing the world's end that is predicted to come in only seven days.

I Need More Information On This Game..

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By mattysen

I actually own Devil Survivor but have never even opend it. I bought it because I thought it would be like Persona but it clearly isnt. I feel like I know nothing about it, and just from the cover and gameplay trailers puts me off the game.
    I mean all I really seen of it is the Gamespot video review that make it out to be a hard  and short (thats what she said) game (oh). So could you guys help fill me in abit on the game like telling me....

• How simular it is to Persona
      Tell me som-....Tell me somemore...
    • How long it is
    • How difficult it is
    • How Anime-esc it is
    • Is the story any good
    • How good is the game

Cheers
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattysen

I actually own Devil Survivor but have never even opend it. I bought it because I thought it would be like Persona but it clearly isnt. I feel like I know nothing about it, and just from the cover and gameplay trailers puts me off the game.
    I mean all I really seen of it is the Gamespot video review that make it out to be a hard  and short (thats what she said) game (oh). So could you guys help fill me in abit on the game like telling me....

• How simular it is to Persona
    • How long it is
    • How difficult it is
    • How Anime-esc it is
    • Is the story any good
    • How good is the game

Cheers
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    • Pretty similar (There's fusion, same elemental weakness, demons, turn-based combat)
    • I don't think they show how long the save file is. Length depends on which ending you get
    • More difficult than Persona in some respects; last-minute twists put the enemy at an advantage a lot
    • It's "anime-esque" in terms of its setting, art style and expression; you could easily swap out the assets and consider it "western"
    • Story's good; gets heavy-handed with Biblical allusions towards the end
    • Good game, people should play it; it's what I wanted FFTA2 to be
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattysen
    @Sleepy_Insomniac: Thanks man, but is it more than say 20 hours?
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @mattysen: I would say at the bare minimum, it's 20 hours (i.e. skipping over side story elements, not paying attention to fusing too much, etc.)

There's an insane amount of replayability. New game+ and multiple endings help a lot. I'm currently on my third playthrough.
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattysen

Alright cool, I'l give it a play after geting through Dead Space mabye sooner. OOO What about The World Ends With You as well

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @mattysen said:
    " @Sleepy_Insomniac: Thanks man, but is it more than say 20 hours? "
    Easily.  The game will probably take you at least 30-40 hours to beat, and it has multiple endings.  The story can actually diverge wildly depending on the actions you choose to take in the game.

As for how similar it is to Persona, while it does share the fusion aspect, the gameplay is wholly different.  It's closer to a game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with elements of Shin Megami Tensei turn-based combat mixed in.  The plot is also not particularly Persona-like.  The game's themes and story structure make it more similar to a mainline SMT game like Nocturne than Persona.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

You'd be surprised how similar it is to Persona actually.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mattysen
    @Hailinel: Cant say Im a fan of FF tactics but I'l still give the game a decent playthough. Thanks
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattysen
    @LiquidPrince: Ive played afew other MegaTen games, but I never found them that simular to Persona, is this one diffrent?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @mattysen: Personally I found the tone to be very similar. You meet up with friends, get to know each person better as the game progresses, get new relationships depending on what you do. Even the characters have a Persona style feel. Then there is the fact that all the demons are basically variations of the Persona's and that you can fuse them. The gameplay it self at first glance seems different, but it's not all that either. It's exactly Persona 4 except that you have the ability to move around the playing field which adds some strategy.
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mattysen
    @LiquidPrince: Its suposed to be post apocalyptic quarentined tokoyo, how does that exactly fit in with high school banter?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @mattysen said:
    " @LiquidPrince: Its suposed to be post apocalyptic quarentined tokoyo, how does that exactly fit in with high school banter? "
    There isn't the high school but most of the main characters are students who go to the same school so it still has that atmosphere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.