This is a badly balanced videogame

#1 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

So, I've been playing this lately. 

For the most part, I actually really do enjoy it. The combat is pretty good, the fusion stuff and skill cracking is great, and the characters are interesting enough that I want to make my way through the game. 

But...the actual....combat part of the game is just not good. I'd fall back on the concept of "You need to grind more", but because the game works on a timescale based plot-line, you can reach a point where you just CANT buy new stuff in the auction house. Further to that, just the general board of which the battles exist are TERRIBLE. I was playing day 3 earlier today, I finish almost the ENTIRE mission, then Beldr spawns out of nowhere, and one shots a SINGLE civilian who was NEXT to the exit. He died, and I got a gameover. 

Are you taking the piss? I just don't understand it sometimes, how they expect people to enjoy this game without hating the way the game plays. Dropping an enemy to 1hp, then to have it use dia on itself three times OUTSIDE of battle is such bullshit. 

Urgh.

#2 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

It's horribly frustrating. I want to love this game so much, the story seems very interesting and especially that Death Clock function is very cool. But combat is so hard, and now I'm at a point where I can't do free battles because I lose, and the plot battle is impossible for me. So I can't grind at all. I don't think I can play this game any more :(

#3 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I was really torn when I played through the game. On the one hand, I thought it was refreshing to find a DS game that was unabashedly hard. On the other hand, the one-shots you describe--as well as the first "rescue" mission, in which there's a 90% chance that the girl dies before you can even move closer to her--make portions of the game more than "difficult." I'm all for strategic depth, but for the love of god don't make it cheap.

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

The only time I recall getting frustrated was during the last boss fight.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Good news: somebody else realizes that this game is an unfair piece of shit. Bad news: they haven't realized the "shit" part.

#6 Posted by ZombiePie (5710 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Good news: somebody else realizes that this game is an unfair piece of shit. Bad news: they haven't realized the "shit" part.

I jeez...here it comes.....

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Hey so I didn't really grind much at all and had a pretty easy time. You just have to figure out the best pathway to making a demon in order to swallow up the best moves and its fucking cake. Really not hard, except the last boss under certain ending conditions.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Do you want to ejaculate on me? Because that's what I'm getting from it.
#9 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -
I don't recall any such problems until the very end of the game. Though when I think about it, you're basically up shit's creek if you've been ignoring your MC's Strength stat when facing off against Beldr.
#10 Posted by ZombiePie (5710 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ZombiePie said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Do you want to ejaculate on me? Because that's what I'm getting from it.

Nope...just a brain fart. But I do believe I can use this clip now:

#11 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Soren said:
I don't recall any such problems until the very end of the game. Though when I think about it, you're basically up shit's creek if you've been ignoring your MC's Strength stat when facing off against Beldr.

Yep. Either that or you choose any route other than Yuzu' because the others seem almost designed to be played in NG+. I didn't have that hard of a time going through it, tbh.

@Video_Game_King said:
Congratulations VGK.

Here it is.

A thread where you can bitch about DS without derailing it. 

Go forth, without delay!
#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@mutha3

I would, but I've already written a blog on how much it sucks. Don't bother going to the Devil Survivor page to find it; this game is inexplicably popular, meaning that my post has been bumped down into nothingness.
#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: So because you've written a blog about it, you've decided not to complain in the only other place it makes sense to complain? There's a thread about the DSO box art, maybe you can go vent over there.
#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@LordAndrew

You speak to me as if I am sane.
#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: It takes a special kind of insanity to do what you do, purposely playing bad games like Cyborg Justice, Shaq Fu, Rainbow Tycoon 3, that gingivitis game, Dead Moon, and a PC Engine game, and then actually writing about them. Fuck you. Or something.
#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
@Video_Game_King: It takes a special kind of insanity to do what you do, purposely playing bad games like Cyborg Justice, Shaq Fu, Rainbow Tycoon 3, that gingivitis game, Dead Moon, and a PC Engine game, and then actually writing about them. Fuck you. Or something.
What the fuck are those? Also, very rarely do I play games that I know are bad; usually, I just play games on recommendation.

However, if you really want me to bash Devil Survivor, then let's go. Fuck you, gaming community. What the shit is wrong with you? I just looked at some sales figures, and it turns out that Devil Survivor sold more than Fragile Dreams. WHAT. THE. FUCK. You guys bought this hatefully broken turd more than that beautiful experience? Oh, and look what else turned up: there's a very real chance that this game also sold more than PANZER DRAGOON SAGA. You know, the one Saturn game that nobody can ever manage to criticize ever? You suck, gaming community. You are all terrible people.
#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I may have made up one or more of those titles because you don't provide a list of the games you've played.

Nobody manages to criticize Panzer Dragoon Saga for the same reason it sold like shit. Nobody played it except the five people who own a Sega Saturn. Those are actual factual sales figures, look it up.
#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@LordAndrew

What about the list of games I've beaten? That's pretty comprehensive.

But I'm talking about those five people who have played it. None of them have found anything that sucks about the game. Again, why did Devil Survivor sell more than that game? The fuck?
#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11917 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
You know, one of these days I'm going to actually have to play Devil Survivor. Partially because it's one of the few games that VGK hates with a burning passion (TM) that I can actually find without much trouble, and probably for cheap too at this point in time. I dunno. We should trade off and you can play Jagged Alliance. Because that game is the ultra-frustrating strategy game that I consider to be my bane. It's kinda like Fire Emblem, but every map is fog of war and every enemy is a Thracia 776 Ballista.
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater

I'd say that I still have to finish X-COM, but Steam has me busy with so many games that I don't have time for Tear Ring Saga. Anyway, no Jagged Alliance for now.
#21 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
@ArbitraryWater:   I'd say that I still have to finish X-COM, but Steam has me busy with so many games that I don't have time for Tear Ring Saga. Anyway, no Jagged Alliance for now.
With all due respect, I'd prefer you leave this topic if you're just going to talk absolute bollocks. It's not a personal thing, you just seem to be adding nothing to the conversation beyond an already established hatred which seems somewhat irrelevant. 

I suppose I'd ask for advice really. It might even be bad translation on the games part? I've done this fight 4 times now, and one time, Yuzu died, and the mission failed, then another time, MC, Midori and Yuzu got away, but Beldr killed Keisuke and I failed. The game just says "HERO and his party escapes". 

I've been focusing mainly on somewhat of a magic specialized character thus far, and I feel as though I'm just not going to make it through this game if it keeps being...unfair like this
#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Matoya said:
I feel as though I'm just not going to make it through this game if it keeps being...unfair like this
It's gonna get worse. If you don't mind kind of spoilers, here's a TVTropes page.
#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Yeah, you're not going to able to win that one. I don't recall anyone dying when I did it, but I didn't win either. Beldr has a skill called "Immortal", so he's kind of immortal.

#24 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
Yeah, you're not going to able to win that one. I don't recall anyone dying when I did it, but I didn't win either. Beldr has a skill called "Immortal", so he's kind of immortal.
I'm not even getting wound up by being unable to kill him. The game just seems really inconsistent with letting me escape.
#25 Posted by OmegaChosen (646 posts) -

You gotta run. From what I remember, I had everyone wait by the exit right before killing the last enemy before Beldr shows up and then just hoping he doesn't reach my dudes before I can get them out. That's all you can do, really.

Also, this is what Atlus does. They get off on our tears. Seriously, they said so verbatim. What you call unfair is what others call fun. But mostly it's just painful. From what I can remember though, this game isn't that frustrating save for a few parts.

#26 Edited by AxleStukov (114 posts) -

My advice is to always hit up a free battle and skill crack everything you can, this keeps both your levels and macca count good, and you should be able to hit day 7 without a problem.
Then day 7 will kick you in the balls and you will like it if you play any route that isn't Yuzu's or Atsuro's.

#27 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I should try beating this game again only to fall into a crippling depression at my inability to grind past the last two battles.

That was fun the last several times I tried.

#28 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Having to fight Beldr at the end of day3, and only being able to hit him with ONE CHARACTER per 9 enemy turns, and then have him healed to full after one go. 

fml

#29 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@Matoya said:
Having to fight Beldr at the end of day3, and only being able to hit him with ONE CHARACTER per 9 enemy turns, and then have him healed to full after one go.  fml
Odin with his special ability and Bufudyne shave off like 1/4 of his health. You pretty much just have to gangbang his ass with ice magic. It's not like the game doesn't tell you he is a powerful FIRE WIELDER hours before you actually face him or anything. Also Negate fire helps.
#30 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
@Matoya said:
Having to fight Beldr at the end of day3, and only being able to hit him with ONE CHARACTER per 9 enemy turns, and then have him healed to full after one go.  fml
Odin with his special ability and Bufudyne shave off like 1/4 of his health. You pretty much just have to gangbang his ass with ice magic. It's not like the game doesn't tell you he is a powerful FIRE WIELDER hours before you actually face him or anything. Also Negate fire helps.
I said I'm on day 3. I can only hit him once a go with devils fuge, twice if the game decides to give me a free hit. But then the other demons get resurrected, and heal him up to full in one go.
#31 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment that this game is poorly balanced. Or perhaps more accurately, it's poorly designed, because it has really dramatic difficulty spikes where it's not really good enough that you're pretty good at the game and did alright up to that point; instead, you get to a boss, and there is pretty much one exact way you have to spec your main character/party.

The "strategy" component doesn't really matter, and is never relevant except on missions where there is some kind of civilian character you have to save. The difficulty basically never comes from positioning or choosing the right party member to fight the right enemy group, like in something like Fire Emblem. The difficulty comes from fighting bosses that are insanely overleveled, and have horseshit uncrackable skills that are completely cheap.

So yeah, fuck the 7th day, where all semblance of fairness to the player is tossed out the window. I have no interest in doing the amount of grinding it would take to make it possible for me to complete this game.

#32 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

Man, fuck this video game! I'm at the battle with Beldr and... it's fucking impossible to beat!

#33 Posted by Ben_H (3383 posts) -

Yeah this game is insane. I think I beat Beldr but I gave up just after.  It's so difficult it just takes away any desire to play it.  And I'm usually good at this type of game.

#34 Edited by Zripwud (247 posts) -

It's a hassle man! It's a fricking hassle. I want to love it, but I always encounter a problem. I'd grind, but with the time constraints I only have two fights to gain levels before the boss fight with Jezebel, and they both suck. They suck! It would take me to repeat those fights like ten times or more, and then I gotta buy some demons to fuse proper demons for that fight. I still want to finish it, but... it's a hassle man =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.