Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 23, 2013

The fourth numbered entry in Atlus's RPG series of occult-themed tales in a post-apocalyptic world.

First impressions so far?

• 156 results
    confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I'm a pretty new to the franchise as a whole, I've only played Persona 1 (for like 10 minutes) and 3 and have both digital devil saga games sitting on my shelf unplayed. I decided to pick this up to get into the main series and have been enjoying the first 3 or so hours I've put into it.

So what are peoples opinions so far?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I'll copy and paste something I wrote up a little while ago:

I've played about 2 hours of it so far and I want to write a few impressions down. The first is that this game might even be harder than Nocturne. I can't be that rusty - I only finshed Nocturne a few weeks ago - but I died several times in the tutorial dungeon. THE TUTORIAL DUNGEON. The press turn battles are back and are probably more devastating than before when you take as much advantage of them as you can, and the enemies can (and will) do the same. Doesn't help that attacks from the first few demons take off more than half of your health. I'm not sure I quite understand the Smirks yet - they don't seem to do anything except make your next attack a little more powerful, which doesn't seem like something that Atlus would make a big deal out of. Maybe that really is all there is to it, or maybe I haven't fully grasped the idea yet.

Fortunately, this game does "casualize" some parts of Nocturne. For one, you can save anywhere. For two, dying brings you to Charon - you know, that river Styx guy? No, not the band, Greek mythology. Anyway, he will bring you back to life for a price. You don't actually go back to your save points until you're out of Macca or you choose to not come back to life, so if it's been a while since you saved then you get a second chance. Also, one thing that greatly alleviates that tutorial dungeon is the Barracks. If you can make it back to the beginning of the dungeon, a relatively simple task if you run past the encounters, then you can (for free) take a nap and you and your demons will be fully healed, including MP. I imagine that this becomes less useful in later dungeons, where traveling back to the beginning would not be such a trivial task, but don't forget about this in that first dungeon. Speaking of encounters, they pop up on the map in pre-determined locations. If you beat one and then hang around that immediate area, it seems like another one won't pop up for quite a while. It's very comparable to Persona, actually - you can never fully clear a dungeon but you can make the room you're in much safer. The encounters are still "random", they just aren't invisible and are dodge-able. The downside to this is that fleeing, now given a percentage chance that you can see, isn't as likely. Instead of "almost always", it's "half the time".

The third thing I want to say is that fusion, potentially the most boring part of SMT games, has been given a huge restructuring. Now, whenever you go to fuse (and you can fuse anywhere), you get a recommended list of demons to fuse. Might be handy, but I don't know how effective that will be yet. You can also set up a bunch of search parameters, and you can include your entire compendium in that search. Close to 500 demons means that there are thousands, probably tens of thousands, of potential combinations; this isn't a default thing because it would probably take some time to do and the game warns that this might take time. My compendium consists of three demons at the moment and I haven't done any actual fusing, just looked at the interface for it, and it appears to be much better than previous SMT's fusion, which often wound up being a guessing game where you would pick one demon, go through the list, pick another, go through the list, pick another, etc.

The game looks really good when playing in the third person dungeons (better than Nocturne, even), but the cutscenes actually seem to have a resolution that's too low. I don't know if it's just me, but they do not seem as crystal-clear as they should be. The first person battles look fine, but I wish the sprites were a bit clearer. As it stands they look better than Strange Journey's but not by tons. This isn't going to bother me much - I made a thread about how mechanics in the battles are more important than the way they look, and those mechanics are more solid and fun than they've ever been - but it's still a bit of a shame that the demons themselves couldn't have had a bigger presence.

On the topic of story, these characters are definitely more defined than Nocturne's walking plot devices. Nocturne had a good plot and story, but it was presented in a very minimalistic way. This game seems less minimalistic in its dialogue and events, at least in part because there is a city of actual people instead of a world with, like, five. Also, unlike the first person battles, I feel like honest-to-God cutscenes during important moments would be better than static images. Those static images are fine when someone says "Hey! Look at this quest item! Better go turn it in so we can move on!", but something like getting the Gauntlet should have been a cutscene. The impact of some of the later happenings in Nocturne wouldn't have been the same if it had been an image instead of in-engine animations and movement.

EDIT: I've played some more since I first wrote this and done some fusion and stuff, but this is still pretty reflective of what I think of it so far. It's pretty damn good, you should play it. That said, at this point I think that Charon was a good idea but could have been done better. You have to skip through a really long cutscene and way too much dialog that you've already heard in order to get to the part where he'll revive you - why couldn't they have cut that out once it had been established? As soon as you die, there should be a message saying "I'll revive you for this much Macca". I also don't know if it's entirely necessary when you can save anywhere. You can just say "nah, don't revive me" and then keep all of that money, provided you're saving often enough. I guess if you don't save much at all it's a pretty good reminder for you to save, but Charon costs a lot of money.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By NoobSauceG7

My only experience with SMT series is Persona 3 and 4. So far, I am really liking this game. About 2 hours in and died a once or twice in the tutorial trying to recruit demons. The combat is really satisfying and I am liking the characters. I went in not watching many trailers or previews, just knowing that people like SMT a lot and that I wanted to play a good JRPG on my 3DS. I think I will like this game a lot.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've played about 2 hours of it so far and I want to write a few impressions down. The first is that this game might even be harder than Nocturne. I can't be that rusty - I only finshed Nocturne a few weeks ago - but I died several times in the tutorial dungeon. THE TUTORIAL DUNGEON. The press turn battles are back and are probably more devastating than before when you take as much advantage of them as you can, and the enemies can (and will) do the same. Doesn't help that attacks from the first few demons take off more than half of your health. I'm not sure I quite understand the Smirks yet - they don't seem to do anything except make your next attack a little more powerful, which doesn't seem like something that Atlus would make a big deal out of. Maybe that really is all there is to it, or maybe I haven't fully grasped the idea yet.

As I understand it, the game's difficulty is very heavily weighted toward the front end, as strange as that seems. I mean, that was basically true of Nocturne too (Matador is basically the hardest that game ever gets), but it's apparently even moreso in 4.

As for smirking, it mainly raises critical rate and increases evasion. So basically, it makes it more likely you'll get extra turns and the enemy will lose turns when attacking you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Justin258

@zeik said:

@believer258 said:

As I understand it, the game's difficulty is very heavily weighted toward the front end, as strange as that seems. I mean, that was basically true of Nocturne too (Matador is basically the hardest that game ever gets), but it's apparently even moreso in 4.

As for smirking, it mainly raises critical rate and increases evasion. So basically, it makes it more likely you'll get extra turns and the enemy will lose turns when attacking you.

All right. The game doesn't make that terribly clear. I wish it was more dependable, though, especially considering that it was mentioned in a lot of previews and stuff.

When you say "frontloaded", it's literally in the very first battle that I felt "oh, God, I'm in deep shit". The first attack took off like two thirds of my health. But yes, it's getting better just a few hours in. I think the developers just wanted to establish that you always have to be on top of things, but that's a pretty rough way to establish it.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nights
    @zeik said:

@believer258 said:

Yup. I've heard it throws you into the deep end at the beginning, but it gets easier as you progress. I haven't dipped into it yet, but how's the English dub? Tolerable or should I turn the voices off?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nights: They seem fine. Some are better than others, as per usual, but I definitely wouldn't want to turn them off.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nights

@zeik said:

@nights: They seem fine. Some are better than others, as per usual, but I definitely wouldn't want to turn them off.

Good to hear. I do prefer Japanese audio, but Atlus has a pretty good track record when it comes to dubs. Based on the trailers I've seen, the demons sound badass. "Have you come to slay me?"

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Justin258

@nights said:
    @zeik said:

@believer258 said:

Yup. I've heard it throws you into the deep end at the beginning, but it gets easier as you progress. I haven't dipped into it yet, but how's the English dub? Tolerable or should I turn the voices off?

The voices sound fine but there's a text box for everything so you don't need them at all. The glaring exception is Navarre, who looks like he jumped out of an early episode of Yu Yu Hakusho but sounds like a badly done hammy version of Charles Emerson Winchester, minus any sort of heart for his fellow man.

Moreso than most JRPG's, there are a handful of oddities that don't quite seem to fit. Every time you finish reading a sign, it says "So the sign says", and they say stuff like "by the by" a lot, which is an actual phrase but I don't think it's seen common use for a very long time. Or ever.

EDIT: Also, I'm being really nitpicky. I think what I've played the game is fantastic and may have the potential to be better than Nocturne.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldenglishc

Thanks to technical difficulties at UPS, I won't get my copy until tomorrow. Totally not jealous of you assholes.

Nocturne wasn't really front or backloaded on the difficulty. Matador was way too strong for the stage of the game where you fight him. Leveling up to the point where you beat him made the next few hours a cake walk, up until Dai Souju (the skull face monk guy. That's his name, right?). The game is a little grindy-er than most other rpg's, but it's not balls breaking hard.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and they say stuff like "by the by" a lot, which is an actual phrase but I don't think it's seen common use for a very long time. Or ever.

The Samurai's using kind of archaic language seems fitting to me.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Commisar123

So far I really like the interface and the general design of the game, but the story has failed to entice me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
    @believer258 said:

and they say stuff like "by the by" a lot, which is an actual phrase but I don't think it's seen common use for a very long time. Or ever.

Well, yes, but there's a "clash" there, between some of the language sounding archaic and some of it sounding more modern. Like they only went halfway archaic. It's not bad, but it's there.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nocturne wasn't really front or backloaded on the difficulty. Matador was way too strong for the stage of the game where you fight him. Leveling up to the point where you beat him made the next few hours a cake walk, up until Dai Souju (the skull face monk guy. That's his name, right?). The game is a little grindy-er than most other rpg's, but it's not balls breaking hard.

I'd say it was frontloaded, although maybe not egregiously so. The farther you get into the game the more you are able to abuse broken mechanics like the buffs/debuffs and Mana Walk + Makatora + Mediarahan. Parts of the latter half of the game are almost laughably easy frankly.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
    @believer258 said:

Well, yes, but there's a "clash" there, between some of the language sounding archaic and some of it sounding more modern. Like they only went halfway archaic. It's not bad, but it's there.

Well they're not true Samurai, so I don't necessarily think that's inappropriate either.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the by is one of my favorite antiquated sayings.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only just beaten the tutorial dungeon. Enemies do tons of damage, to the point where my demons were dying in one hit from some enemies. Glad to see saving anytime be included. Seems like a reasonable compromise for the strength of the enemies. I'm really liking it so far though. Can't wait to play more.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@believer258 said:

@zeik said:
    @believer258 said:

Well they're not true Samurai, so I don't necessarily think that's inappropriate either.

Doesn't stop it from occasionally bringing me out of the dialog.

@believer258: Are you playing on a 3DS XL or a normal 3DS?

XL. That probably is the issue, but I still shouldn't be able to see rectangles when the screen is darkly-colored.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeeco

I've only played the tutorial dungeon so far, but overall it seems pretty great so far. Though a bit hard, the battle system is a lot of fun, and so is negotiating with demons.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, I had heard the cutscenes were compressed for the 3DS screen; so, I'm not surprised that it could look a little off on the 3DS XL screen. Personally, I can't even stand little jaggies on LED screens; so, I traded in my 3DS XL for a 3DS. The size on the XL is nice, but until games are really designed for that larger size, I think I prefer the normal 3DS.

Anyway, I'm sure it's something you'll get used to. :)

RIght now, I'm trying to decide between buying SMTIV now or getting on the Animal Crossing train now and getting SMTIV in August.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By morningstar

I live in Europe, so I'm a second rate citizen when it comes to these games. Will be all over it in November though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Europe, so I'm a second rate citizen when it comes to these games. Will be all over it in November though.

Shh! You get to play Mario & Luigi: Dream Team while you wait. :P

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, I had heard the cutscenes were compressed for the 3DS screen; so, I'm not surprised that it could look a little off on the 3DS XL screen. Personally, I can't even stand little jaggies on LED screens; so, I traded in my 3DS XL for a 3DS. The size on the XL is nice, but until games are really designed for that larger size, I think I prefer the normal 3DS.

Anyway, I'm sure it's something you'll get used to. :)

RIght now, I'm trying to decide between buying SMTIV now or getting on the Animal Crossing train now and getting SMTIV in August.

As someone whose eyesight isn't amazing, I'll take the big screen with the occasional visual issue over the tiny screen. Also the XL is just far more comfortable in my hands; DS Lites always felt like they were digging into my palms.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeik

@truthtellah said:

You won't get the free $30 eshop money if you wait too long. Or the free DLC.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm only two bosses or so in (third floor of the initial dungeon blah blah blah), but those mofos are haaaaaaard. Like, I used to dabble in Nocturne and stuff back in the day, but good lord. The way these initial bosses sprung up on me and stomped my chest in really had me laughing/crying.

Game looks very nice, the music is legit, and I'm having a great time. SAM-EW-RAI.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do I equip the costume I got as a pre-order bonus? I couldn't find it in the "Equip" menu.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Really liking the game. I only watched a person play Nocturne so some game mechanics I'm pretty familiar with and it comes pretty obvious why the save system can be done anywhere, god damn demons can get a upper hand in battle pretty easily.

@zeeco said:

How do I equip the costume I got as a pre-order bonus? I couldn't find it in the "Equip" menu.

You need to make sure you downloaded the bonus.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kishinfoulux

Thanks to technical difficulties at UPS, I won't get my copy until tomorrow. Totally not jealous of you assholes.

Ha I had the same issue. Nobody answered the door in my building so they just left one of those notes you have to sign and stuff. Was pretty pissed, especially considering they usually come much later and they came mega early this time.

BTW there's an Easy mode in this right? Something about you have to die twice or something to unlock it? Is that how it works? Just any two battles?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar said:

Shh! You get to play Mario & Luigi: Dream Team while you wait. :P

Im getting it today and Im very much looking forward to it. However, its a small compensation considering we've not yet got Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, Devil summoner soul hackers and a couple of others. Oh well, all good things come to those that wait =)

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc said:

Ha I had the same issue. Nobody answered the door in my building so they just left one of those notes you have to sign and stuff. Was pretty pissed, especially considering they usually come much later and they came mega early this time.

BTW there's an Easy mode in this right? Something about you have to die twice or something to unlock it? Is that how it works? Just any two battles?

Yeah, I think that's how it works. There's also that DLC dungeon that throws out unlimited exp for the people that can't even bear easy mode.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Liquidus

I've played not quite 4 hours of it today. I really like it so far. It seems to cut the bullshit that annoyed me in Nocturne while still making it hard as hell at times. I'd say the enemies, at least in the first dungeon, are easily harder than the ones you fought early on in Nocturne. I really love the changes to the fusion system and being able to save anywhere is such a huge plus, it makes the tough enemy encounters justifiable. Also, the music has been fantastic so far. So yeah, great game so far, I'm really looking forward getting over the hump over every enemy encounter being life or death for my party and constantly fusing new demons.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Speaking of impressions, after doing nearly everything in the Japanese version it's about time I reviewed the game, which is here for those interested.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like how they romanized a certain person's name. Also all the archaic translation choices will make sense after you get to the 2nd half of the game.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eirikr
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eirikr

@bocam: His presence isn't exactly a spoiler, so spell it out, my English copy won't be around for a bit. I was also told that certain people might rage over how a "certain character's" name was spelled, and I had a feeling it was going to be him.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

@oldenglishc said:

Yeah, I think that's how it works. There's also that DLC dungeon that throws out unlimited exp for the people that can't even bear easy mode.

Oh is that the free DLC that you get for preordering?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux:

Nope, it's $2, the costume is the pre-order bonus. I guess the game also launched with free hairstyle and armor DLC as well, though.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eirikr: Considering I'm used to seeing STEVEN having it be Stephen annoyed ne

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: Haha, did people really spell his name in all-caps like that? Even though that's how it is in official materials, he was always meant to be a Stephen Hawking analogue, so this makes more sense.

It's like how Lucifer's human form should be spelled Cyphre instead of Cypher since it's a movie reference.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS GAME IS AMAZING. That is all. Oh, and fuck climbing up a ledge only to be greeted by a horde three levels above you.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/dd74a7de5c856483280d1b9b98da7fd9/tumblr_mq2jwzriJw1rqgb9yo1_250.gif
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TruthTellah

@zeik said:

@truthtellah said:

You won't get the free $30 eshop money if you wait too long. Or the free DLC.

Wait, you can buy Animal Crossing: New Leaf on the eShop, right? So, potentially, I could buy SMTIV for $50 and then use the $30 eShop credit toward the $35 Animal Crossing on eShop, making it effectively $55 for both games...

I might just do that.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Question: Do I need to have played any previous SMT games before this one?

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By xymox

Reviews started dropping not long ago as well, and they seem really positive so far. It's looking like yet another 3DS pickup. :>

I'm glad, since this will be my first entry into the main series (I'm one of those persona 3/4 kind of persons).

@eirikr said:

Speaking of impressions, after doing nearly everything in the Japanese version it's about time I reviewed the game, which is here for those interested.

Gonna check that out.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By ElCapitan

@believer258: If you hold 'X', the Charon stuff kind of flies by. It's still too long, but it's tolerable that way.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for about 5 minutes then I realized I'll have no time to play it this week... made a conscious decision to stop before it hooked me.

this weekend can't come fast enough

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@sanj said:

It might help to play some of the easier games in the franchise (like Persona 3/4) to get acquainted with some of the mechanics.

But if you're asking in regards to the story then no, you should be fine starting out with IV.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sanj said:

It might help to play some of the easier games in the franchise (like Persona 3/4) to get acquainted with some of the mechanics.

But if you're asking in regards to the story then no, you should be fine starting out with IV.

Yeah I was just talking in terms of the story. I've played Persona 3 and 4.

Ok cool, so I'll be picking this up then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.