Here is reasons this is the best game ever made of the year.

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I beat the Shinmegatenseyfor here is why it is the best.

The people explode: When you kill demons it will trigger a special death animation depending on the type of attack you used. Sometimes they will be incinerated, sometimes they will be launched into outerspace, sometimes it will appear as if they are being sucked into themselves before violently exploding into a thousand pieces.

This is what video games are missing.

I didn't want to immediately murder everyone: One of my problems with mainline SMT has always been that most of the characters want me to kill them as soon as they are introduced. This really deflates the alignment system as there is only one path that let's me brutally murder all of my friends. In SMTIV I didn't want to kill everyone until 20 hours in.

This is a triumph.

The demons have biographical information: In the modern age many game developers assume that the player has access to wikipedias and opt not to include extended information about the characters and places in their games. In SMTIV Atlus had the foresight to realize when the bombs drop wikipedia will no longer exist and the only way to know if you demon is one of the 72 of Goetia is by using the in game compendium.

This is the kind of innovation the industry lacks.

Lucifer isn't completely fucking obvious from the first time you meet him: They didn't make Lucifer have blonde hair or named Lucas Ferrari.

Masterful.

When I started a new game plus it kept all of my shit: I love this game.

Stephen Hawking is in it.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4706 posts) -

Wrong Persona 4 Golden.

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

Make me a button. I'll vote for you.

#4 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

I have to get this game! I need to jump on that E-shop deal before it expires at the end of next month. I recommend those who've met the requirements do the same.

#5 Edited by Zeik (2188 posts) -

There's something deeply satisfying with the death animations in this game. Especially the ones where they just explode into a mist of blood. I'm not kidding when I say they're some of my favorite animations in a game, ever.

#6 Edited by Morningstar (2125 posts) -

Just bring it to fucking Europe already! Argh!!!

#7 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

Man. I'm inclined to agree, here.

#8 Edited by believer258 (11560 posts) -

For all the people complaining about how first person battles have no impact, there's a lot of evidence against that in here. Demons explode, electrocute, fly away, burn up, freeze and burst, etc., and the awesome music really helps.

Yes, this is a very good game. I think that Fire Emblem Awakening was a better game overall, though not by much, and Nocturne was a more interesting and unique one, but this one deserves your time and money all the same.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -
#10 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

No, just no.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11560 posts) -

No, just no.

Is there any particular part that you're saying no to or do you just dislike good games?

#12 Edited by Brackynews (4037 posts) -

BGEMOTY? Well fuck. If I buy this that means I basically get to download Animal Crossing for free.

Losing money if I don't.

I bet the devil totally would drive a Ferrari though.

#13 Edited by falserelic (5270 posts) -

@falserelic said:

No, just no.

Is there any particular part that you're saying no to or do you just dislike good games?

Yeah I'm implying I dislike good game and great games too, but I love bad games.

#14 Edited by Zeik (2188 posts) -

Yes, this is a very good game. I think that Fire Emblem Awakening was a better game overall, though not by much, and Nocturne was a more interesting and unique one, but this one deserves your time and money all the same.

I'm liking this game more than Awakening, but I've always liked SMT more than Fire Emblem, so I can't say I'm not a bit biased. Both are good games though.

I do believe this is an overall better game than Nocturne though. Nocturne gets major points for what it did to advance the franchise, but it was very rough around the edges. SMT4 seems to have solved just about all of my major complaints with that game.

#15 Edited by oldenglishC (921 posts) -

I can't believe you've already finished it once. When to you find time to sleep, robot man?

I totally agree. This game is really, really good.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

WOT? This is not DmC.

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@lordxavierbritish said:

Stephen Hawking is in it.

Wasn't he in the first game, though?

Yes, but he has been gone for a long time.

We all missed you Stephen.

#18 Posted by Reisz (1455 posts) -

But guys! It has first person battles! Remember!?

#19 Posted by believer258 (11560 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@falserelic said:

No, just no.

Yeah I'm implying I dislike good game and great games too, but I love bad games.

I was only kidding, duder! I'm not saying you can't like and dislike whatever you want to, but I am wondering if you posted because you have some actual thoughts about the game or if you just didn't want to hear about this game anymore.

I can't believe you've already finished it once. When to you find time to sleep, robot man?

I totally agree. This game is really, really good.

I've been hearing that this game is about 40 hours long. Some estimates have put it around 30. It's been out for a week and a few days now.

@zeik said:

@believer258 said:

I'm liking this game more than Awakening, but I've always liked SMT more than Fire Emblem, so I can't say I'm not a bit biased. Both are good games though.

I do believe this is an overall better game than Nocturne though. Nocturne gets major points for what it did to advance the franchise, but it was very rough around the edges. SMT4 seems to have solved just about all of my major complaints with that game.

Awakening was actually my first Fire Emblem game and I think that game is exceptionally well-done in literally every respect, from things as shallow as graphics to the innermost workings of the gameplay.

Nocturne was rougher around the edges than this game, certainly, but I feel like it had "higher highs" than this game has shown me in the 21 hours that I've played it. Nocturne just started off in a weird and awesome way and went from there to show a lot of varied environments and locations, many of which were pretty memorable. Earlier today, I thought to myself that much of Tokyo looks like a bombed-out, post apocalyptic city, not so far off from Washington DC in Fallout 3, only with an orange-brown filter instead of a blue-ish tinged one and viewed from a different perspective. This game just doesn't seem to be as "special" as Nocturne, if you get what I mean, unless the later hours are a lot different than the game has seemed like so far. Mikado seems to have become completely irrelevant at this point.

#20 Edited by falserelic (5270 posts) -
#21 Edited by DonutFever (3548 posts) -

Really? Because it's not BioShock Infinite.

But it's still really good.

#22 Edited by Zeik (2188 posts) -

@believer258: I can't imagine many people would beat it in 30 hours. I was near 50 at about the point you officially get locked into an alignment path, which is still a decent ways from the ending.

I guess I was just never as fond of Nocturne as some people. I always preferred classic SMT to it for just about everything non-mechanics related and SMT4 takes a lot more queues from those games than Nocturne. It's highest highs weren't high enough for me to make up for its lowest lows.

#23 Edited by believer258 (11560 posts) -

@zeik said:

@believer258: I can't imagine many people would beat it in 30 hours. I was near 50 at about the point you officially get locked into an alignment path, which is still a decent ways from the ending.

I guess I was just never as fond of Nocturne as some people. I always preferred classic SMT to it for just about everything non-mechanics related and SMT4 takes a lot more queues from those games than Nocturne. It's highest highs just don't make up for its lowest lows.

Well, I also heard that Nocturne was around fifty hours and I spent 77 in it. The timing for these games seems to vary wildly depending on how well you do the combat and how much sidestuff you do.

Nocturne was also my first SMT game, so that may have something to do with my preference for it. But for a PS2 game to have an effect on me in 2013, aesthetically, is quite an achievement. I'm just getting a little bored of SMT4's environment, that's all.

Still, this game is definitely one of the best released this year, and a must have for the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.