New Demon Designs

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

Atlus has shown five new demon designs for SMTIV and some of them are linked to the Kamen Rider series, for example Yasushi Nirasawa worked as a creature designer for the Kamen Rider series and designed Asmodeus.

There are two other completely new demons revealed: Kouga Saburo, "a legendary hero from the Suwa domain", and Kyouma Aki the god of agriculture and knowledge in Shinto.

There are two redesigns of previously known SMT demons: Raphael and Omoikane. This is the new Raphael:

More info and pics on Siliconera.

Can't say I'm feeling these new designs, especially not the redesigns. In that Siliconera link, you can see the comparison pictures and I much prefer the older designs for Raphael and Omoikane. I will say that these look more "demonic", but I'm not certain that that's really necessary and I think they might be a bit too complex for their own good.

No mention of Soejima in the article or Kaneko, either. Wonder if it's because Soejima's too busy with Persona 5 or something. I believe Kaneko isn't mentioned because he's not working on SMTIV at all.

#2 Edited by Eirikr (1007 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: This totally counts a website update. :p

On Talking Time (starring 1UP's Jeremy Parish and friends) I made a super long post as to why the new designs suck, please read if you're interested. I feel like I'll have beaten a long dead horse by the time the game comes out.

And why would Soejima be mentioned? Other than the fact that I would have rather had people like him and Doi do the designs if Kaneko was gonna be AWOL in his dream-field of flowers and hallucinogens.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I can't tell if these are stupid or amazing.

#4 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

They're so bad! They're also, like, two weeks old.

seriously though so fuggin bad you guys

#5 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

atlus ripped these straight off the ronnie james dio album cover.

#6 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

Okay, so these look like Yugi-Oh cards if images could be put through a generic death metal "squiggly line logo" filter.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

@Eirikr: Ah, didn't realize those designs were actually part of a site update.

Also, I thought Soejima did some work on Nocturne so it wouldn't be crazy for him to be involved with SMTIV, right?

@Soren said:

They're so bad! They're also, like, two weeks old.

Really? Only heard about these designs today.

#8 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Ehh the first looks really bad like genetic western fantasy demon...

#9 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Why not both?

#10 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

the new omoikane is pretty awesome

#11 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: They originally appeared in this famitsu scan that was released on the 18th.

And Soejima was credited as a "designer" on Nocturne alongside several other artists but wasn't involved in any major creative capacity.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Landon said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Why not both?

It's juuuust on the line. Being able to summon an Adventure Time villain? Amazing! Those feet of his? Stupid!

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

@Soren said:

@FluxWaveZ: They originally appeared in this famitsu scan that was released on the 18th.

Aw man, if Andriasang was still here I would have known about this...

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Okay, so these look like Yugi-Oh cards if images could be put through a generic death metal "squiggly line logo" filter.

To be fair, Persona 4 was pretty much Yu-Gi-Oh (Japanese high schoolers jump into the Shadow Realm to fight magical card games with weird other selves), so it's not like there isn't precedent :P.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -

Well, the least I can say is that they're on par for what I'd expect from Kamen Rider designers, if more demonic than the norm. Beyond that, man, I don't know.

#16 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Eh, the previous designs were hit and miss anyway.

Making them all look crazy isn't the worst thing in the world.

#17 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. It's like they decided that they needed all of the sharp edges in their designs.

#18 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Raphael and Asmodeus are tuuuuurrible. Koga Saburou is alright, Omoikane is great, but too complex(That's why i prefer the original), and that Kuebinko is amazing, i really liked that one.

#19 Posted by geirr (2574 posts) -

They're so bad.. but I kinda like 'em anyway.

#20 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

They're all terrible. Over-designed as fuck, every last one of them.

#21 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

If Abaddon looks like this I'm gonna be pissed.

That said, I don't hate the new Omoikane or the agriculture dude.

#22 Edited by Hailinel (24842 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Compared to some of Kaneko's more elaborate designs, I wouldn't say that.

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

You dudes are wrong these are awesome!!!!

#24 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Raphael looks like an edgy gothic Geth. Thank god for some new designs I guess, no matter how squiggly they are.

#25 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

@Hailinel: I couldn't think of a single Kaneko design so marked by excessive design and nonsensical flourishes as the aforementioned Asmodeus. There's a clarity to even the most labyrinthine Kaneko design that is entirely absent from these new offerings, but even removed from that sort of context, they're just terrible.

#26 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@mutha3 said:

Compared to some of Kaneko's more elaborate designs, I wouldn't say that.

Example? I legitimately cannot think of a Kaneko design of the top of my head that has as much shit going as Redskullzdeathslice in the OP.

Not that having a lot of shit going on in a design is a bad thing persay, but these guys definitely don't do it well.
#27 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

I'm digging the crazy robot guy. The Diablo thingy- not so much.

#28 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

all y'all need to calm down, they still have regular jack frost and that's all you need

#29 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -

@Soren said:

@Hailinel: I couldn't think of a single Kaneko design so marked by excessive design and nonsensical flourishes as the aforementioned Asmodeus. There's a clarity to even the most labyrinthine Kaneko design that is entirely absent from these new offerings, but even removed from that sort of context, they're just terrible.

I'm not saying that it's as good as anything Kaneko has done. Only that "overdesigning" by itself isn't inherently a bad thing.

#30 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3101 posts) -

I get what they were going for with Raphael, and I'd even like it, were it not for the weird detached-limb floaty-orb thing that they keep sticking into these new designs. I wonder if there's a plot reason for that or if it's just a stylistic choice. Asmodeus looks awful, though. Agriculture dude looks alright, though, and I can live with the new Omoikane, even if he doesn't inspire Star Fox quotes every time I see him anymore.

#31 Posted by Itwastuesday (967 posts) -

The second one looks like a design that is weird enough to be a SMT demon. The first one, however, looks like a damn Yu-Gi-Oh card.

#32 Posted by SpaceRunaway (866 posts) -

Like everyone else apparently, I like Omoikane and Soebiko. Based on those, I'll at least hold off on judgement until there's more to see. I'm really curious what the more powerful mainstays are going to look like. If Mara isn't a penis with a tricked out ride though, I quit.

#33 Posted by Krelwy (28 posts) -

Yeah I just cannot get over how completely ridiculous and out of place these designs look.

#34 Edited by Skanker (254 posts) -

I like the one agricultural one

Raphael is pretty bad but it still reminds me of some of the crazier angel designs there have been

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.