New Nintendo Direct SMT IV gameplay trailer

#1 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

Part of a new Nintendo Direct was a Shin Megami Tensei IV segment consisting of almost all new footage.

So many demons in there, including a couple brand new ones, one of which is one of the most unlike SMT designs since Asmodeus, but that's what you get for giving Kaneko the window seat. Anyways, Press Turns galore, though no murmurings of the new Whisper system that allows the main character to learn new skills through demons. If skill mutation is still in this game that seems like it could get really broken, really fast.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Asmodeus-esque demons aside, it's looking great. Hopefully Atlus doesn't take too long to announce the North American release.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

if that music is the main battle theme, I am pretty excited for the music

#4 Posted by Pepsiman (2485 posts) -

I'm pretty sure nobody else has done this yet, so I quickly whipped up some English subtitles for this trailer last night and bumped the quality up to 720p after finding a raw version of the Nintendo Direct. Not really a whole lot of new information in the way of plot details to be divined from the look of things, but some of the demon conversations are pretty amusing. At least I had fun writing them. Enjoy, I guess?

#5 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@pepsiman: thanks, you are doing lucifer's work

#6 Edited by believer258 (11984 posts) -

@pepsiman said:

I'm pretty sure nobody else has done this yet, so I quickly whipped up some English subtitles for this trailer last night and bumped the quality up to 720p after finding a raw version of the Nintendo Direct. Not really a whole lot of new information in the way of plot details to be divined from the look of things, but some of the demon conversations are pretty amusing. At least I had fun writing them. Enjoy, I guess?

Thank you for the subtitles! I saw the first part of that trailer before but didn't understand what was being said (though I could gather some things just from watching it)

Anyway, I'm only just now playing Nocturne and, well, that has me excited for this. Instead of being on the fence between a Vita and a 3DS, it seems I'm going to go 3DS.

#7 Edited by Flappy (2299 posts) -

@pepsiman: MVP! MVP! MVP!

Thank you for your services.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@pepsiman: Thanks a lot for the translation.

#9 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

@pepsiman said:

Thanks for the translation. Can't wait for this to come out.

#10 Edited by Eirikr (1009 posts) -
#11 Edited by FrostedMiniWheats (52 posts) -

I like the new Demon designs! Past time there was some new blood drawing this stuff up. For a franchise that purports to draw from mythologies all across the world, the artistic styling is surprisingly uniform. Wouldn't it be cool if demons had been drawn by different people as they were added all through franchise history, and then just kept on in whatever form they first entered in? Lost opportunity now... but if this marks the beginning of artistic diversification for the franchise them I'm all in!

#12 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

I'm getting quite an Ico vibe from the first part of the trailer, with the music and the setting, and the concept of sacrificing youth.

#13 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

@pepsiman:You did an excellent job with the translation, thank you.

I haven't played SMT franchise yet. However, I think I'll try this one, when it'll release in North America.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.