Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 23, 2013

The fourth numbered entry in Atlus's RPG series of occult-themed tales in a post-apocalyptic world.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 + Fire Emblem = $30 credit

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Shin Megami Tensei 4 + Fire Emblem = $30 credit. As long as you register both. And it works even if you purchased Fire Emblem way back when it was originally released. . . digital or physical. . .

This is a pretty amazing deal and mostly because it retroactively will give you credit for FE. I picked up FE way back when since everyone was talkin about it and had a good time. I was most likely just gonna pass on SMT4 but now, now I'd just be stupid to not get it right? Cuz in a weird way, it's only like 10 bucks or something? Nice move on Nintendo's part busting out a weird sale like this. I really hope they keep up this kind of stuff. Wonder if they're pullin' this one out due to the steam sale starting. I dunno.

Link to article on Destructoid

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Yeah this is really cool. I was planning on getting SMT4 anyway so this just sweetens the deal for me. I don't like the way Nintendo handles digital but if the game is free why the hell not.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Does this work for physical and digital editions of the game? I have a brand new physical copy of FEA and am getting a brand new physical copy of SMTIV. I'm not going to buy a digital version of either.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bocam

@believer258: As long as you register the club nintendo codes, you get the credit

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: As long as you used the club Nintendo codes and did the post play survey of both games the deal should go through. That's what it said on the club Nintendo page anyway.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Ugh, my product registration survery for FE expired.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By confusedowl

@dallas_raines: From the Club Nintendo site:

If your Fire Emblem Awakening survey already expired, you will qualify as long as you register both games before the promotion ends.

So you may still be able to get the credit? I don't know why they include the survey requirement if you don't need it, unless I'm missing something.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, Fire Emblem DLC fund.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Need a quick look or review to figure out if Shin Megami Tensei IV is worth buying. 30 bucks though is pretty tempting.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own FEA, so I guess this means I get SMT4 for basically free. I'll take it!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Need a quick look or review to figure out if Shin Megami Tensei IV is worth buying. 30 bucks though is pretty tempting.

What kind of games do you like? Even if it isn't a review, I could probably offer my opinion regarding whether your tastes might match up with what I know of SMT IV and the series. :D

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@truthtellah said:

@i_stay_puft said:

What kind of games do you like? Even if it isn't a review, I could probably offer my opinion regarding whether your tastes might match up with what I know of SMT IV and the series. :D

I mean I always liked the persona series so I tried my hand at Shin Megami Tensei 3 but it just never clicked for me. Most likely due to the fact of the setting unlike Persona which takes place in an anime version of a japanese high school.

@fobwashed: Speaking of nintendo deals was heavily surprised Nintendo didn't do a buy one of these two selected games and get a third one free deal they did over in Europe. Actually kind of pissed they didn't do that deal here in the states because about 3-4 of those games I own.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@ezakael: @bocam: Well, that's just awesome. Guess I need to browse the e-shop for games that are under $30.

EDIT: So I was peeking around and Soul Hackers was $30. Woo-hoo! Another SMT game! But that was for a sale. Naturally, the sale ends on the 14th, and SMTIV comes out on the 16th. What a bummer.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know how the register the Fire Emblem copy that comes with the Fire Emblem special edition 3DS? My 3DS registered but not the Fire Emblem copy.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's pretty awesome.

But you know what would be more awesome? Releasing SMT IV in Australia/Europe before 2014.

Please. Pleeeeeeeeaaase.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TruthTellah

@i_stay_puft said:

@truthtellah said:

@i_stay_puft said:

I mean I always liked the persona series so I tried my hand at Shin Megami Tensei 3 but it just never clicked for me. Most likely due to the fact of the setting unlike Persona which takes place in an anime version of a japanese high school.

hmmm Well, SMT IV definitely has a darker setting than Persona, and it's combat is more classic SMT than even Nocturne(first person and such). Though, I suppose they're not -super- different. If SMT Nocturne wasn't your jam, I can see why you might be hesitant to pick up SMT IV. Fortunately, you have a while to pick it up before this deal ends. So, I imagine they'll have a Quick Look between now and then. ha. :)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone know how the register the Fire Emblem copy that comes with the Fire Emblem special edition 3DS? My 3DS registered but not the Fire Emblem copy.

You're good to go if you registered the 3DS and linked your account

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 BisonHero  Online

@endaround said:

I don't know this for certain, but sometimes with 3DS bundles, you don't get to register the game on Club Nintendo, which sucks.

My roommate bought the Super Mario 3D bundle, where it comes preinstalled on the system, and as far as we can tell, there isn't a way for that digital copy to ever show up on his Club Nintendo account. There isn't a 16 digit code since there's no box, obviously. And as far as I can tell, Club Nintendo basically looks at your eShop transaction history to tell what games you own, but for some reason pre-installed software somehow doesn't show up in that history.

We know his 3DS is linked to his Club Nintendo account, because other eShop games he has bought have showed up on Club Nintendo, but his pre-installed Super Mario 3D Land has never showed up. So it may be the same situation with the Fire Emblem bundle. If you want to be sure, email Nintendo support.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Fingers crossed this is the one i beat. I've spent dozens of hours each in Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, SMT 3: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and still haven't ever beaten one.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@i_stay_puft: I remember there was another deal not TOO long ago for 3DS games, but I had already purchased the game before the deal so I missed out. The reason why this one is so cool is that it works with a game you purchased anytime rather than during a specific time frame.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, Fire Emblem DLC fund.

Shit, now you're talking. I didn't even consider that.

Kebrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endaround: I have the same bundle and you can't register that version of Fire Emblem. With some 3DS bundles you can some you can not. Sadly FE is one of them. I have spent hours on the phone and online with Nintendo Customer Care. You are not alone in being cheated out of the $30, even though you probably *the* target audence if you bothered getting that Fire Emblem bundle. I luckly had another copy I got my brother so he gave me that code.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So I keep on thinking about this deal and figuring out if its worth it or not, but anybody else question the $49.99 dollar price tag on SMT IV? I'm not saying that it isn't worth that amount but this is the first 3DS game I've seen to sell at this price. An extra 10 bucks subtracted to the 30 is more like a 20 dollar eshop credit. I get the feeling the 30 dollar coupon is somehow masking the fact they jumped the price of a game by an additional 10 bucks and a price hike might be happening in front of our eyes, just a thought.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I really don't think so. If anything is "masking" that price it's all the extra goodies that come with SMT4. This seems like a completely unrelated bonus.

Most likely it costs extra simply because it was an extra costly localization, given the size of the game and the speed at which they localized it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@zeik: That sounds like a plausible explanation, just feels like the glamour of free 30 just got cut down to 20 though. I honestly have to wonder if this will be the last we'll see of the $49.99 3ds games.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Oh, I don't doubt it's a convenient way to"soften the blow", but I think they would've priced it that way regardless. It's arguably the "biggest" game to come out on the 3DS, and they believe it can sell for a price like that.

Still, dark pretenses aside, it's a fantastic deal -- assuming you were going to get it anyway, and other eShop items interest you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I keep on thinking about this deal and figuring out if its worth it or not, but anybody else question the $49.99 dollar price tag on SMT IV? I'm not saying that it isn't worth that amount but this is the first 3DS game I've seen to sell at this price. An extra 10 bucks subtracted to the 30 is more like a 20 dollar eshop credit. I get the feeling the 30 dollar coupon is somehow masking the fact they jumped the price of a game by an additional 10 bucks and a price hike might be happening in front of our eyes, just a thought.

I thought 3DS games were $50 when the system launched?

Anyway, SMTIV is $50 because it comes with a music CD and strategy guide. Also remember that the localization was done both quickly and well. They also had to get voice actors for all of it, and this game is full of dialogue to be voiced. On top of all that, Atlus's parent company Index is in trouble, so they had to get all they could out of their star product.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

I thought 3DS games were $50 when the system launched?

Anyway, SMTIV is $50 because it comes with a music CD and strategy guide. Also remember that the localization was done both quickly and well. They also had to get voice actors for all of it, and this game is full of dialogue to be voiced. On top of all that, Atlus's parent company Index is in trouble, so they had to get all they could out of their star product.

Nah they were definitely 40. I guess if I'll get this game might as well get a retail version since it sounds like I'll be getting more bang for my buck. The game is definitely still 50 on the eShop.

Snarkasaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if anyone else has experience this, but I got my 30 dollar credit code, and made the mistake of using it on the WiiU e-shop, which apparently locked the money into WiiU only purchases (which is fucking worthless right now). I hope I'm missing something and can use it on the 3DS shop, but it's not looking good. Pretty pissed, even though I'd have bought both games anyway.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#32  Edited By Brackynews

@snarkasaur: But, all those copies of Earthbound you can gift to your friends! ;)

And no, Nintendo has always been about locking money to platforms. The wallet that holds the funds is where it stays.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snarkasaur: There's no overall "Eshop", each console basically has their own version of it, so it probably is tied to whatever console you redeem them on first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.