SMTIV debut trailer leaks early. Screenshots being posted.

• 53 results
#1 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The debut trailer for Shin Megami Tensei IV is included as a bonus in the 3DS Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers remake. Soul Hackers officially goes on sale in Japan later this week, but people have already been snapping images of the trailer and posting them online:

More images can be found at the above link. Keep in mind image quality is based on people taking pictures of their 3DS screens.

EDIT: And the full trailer is now online for your viewing pleasure.

#2 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

More images can be found at the above link. Keep in mind image quality is based on people taking pictures of their 3DS screens.

Even then, it looks pretty damn good. The amazing things Atlus can do when it creates original 3D assets!

#3 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

oh jesus

first screens and i already want to go ahead and import a US 3DS for this stupid game

#4 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

I am recklessly optimistic about this game.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I can't tell, is that another conception?

I also notice we are going back to COMPs, so pretty excited about that too.

also is that a guy or a girl (the one with the ponytail) I can't tell

#6 Edited by Soren (274 posts) -

@Animasta said:

also is that a guy or a girl (the one with the ponytail) I can't tell

It's either a slightly fey dude or a very modestly proportioned young lady. I'm starting to lean on the former at this point.

I can't tell, is that another conception?

This apocalypse certainly seems to be of the supernatural sort, rather then nuclear.

#7 Edited by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Animasta: Definitely not another Conception, looks like something nuclear. (conflicting interpretations of fuzzy screenshots go!)

Ponytail Person's gender is as of yet undetermined. Is it too much to ask for a selectable gender?

#8 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

@Animasta: Definitely not another Conception, looks like something nuclear.

whoa son we have to fight now

#9 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

I wonder if this is going to be Kaneko on the reins for the art direction and character design.

#10 Posted by The_Nubster (2353 posts) -

I have a couple of dumb question regarding this news:

Is this different from Persona 5?

It's only the trailer that's on the 3DS, and the actual game will be on home consoles?

#11 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

It's only the trailer that's on the 3DS, and the actual game will be on home consoles?

different from persona 5, game will be 3DS only.

@mutha3: the character designs definitely don't seem like Soejima's work, afaik

#12 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

mother of god

Joking, yes, this is an entirely different game, and it will be for 3DS.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Eirikr

Ponytail Person's gender is as of yet undetermined. Is it too much to ask for a selectable gender?

I'd certainly be all for a delectable gender in this game.
#14 Edited by Soren (274 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

Yes, the Persona series is considered a spin-off of the main SMT series, of which this is the fourth entry.

No, the game will also be for 3DS.

edit: ahhhhhhhhhhhh

#15 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Soren: It looks supernatural on the map, but then there's that HUGE light and the buildings! The buildings man, the buildings! It looks like they blowin' up.

It's also definitely Kaneko. The monk dudes in the one screenshot just look like something he'd design.

#16 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@The_Nubster said:

different from persona 5, game will be 3DS only.

@mutha3: the character designs definitely don't seem like Soejima's work, afaik

Its clearly not Soejima, but I don't feel confident saying its Kaneko either. I need to see some 3-: faces first.

It might be a guest artist like Yasuda(plz god no) was for Devil Survivor.

@Eirikr said:

@Soren:

It's also definitely Kaneko. The monk dudes in the one screenshot just look like something he'd design.

True, those designs are rather Kaneko-esque. The blue trenchcoats dudes with the anime hair on the other hand?hmmmmm.
#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Hailinel
@Eirikr

I'd certainly be all for a delectable gender in this game.
Holy shit. SELECTABLE, not delectable. Damn you, autocorrect.
#18 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@mutha3: boobs aren't big enough for him!

I wanna know who the fuck that statue is

#19 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Its clearly not Soejima, but I don't feel confident saying its Kaneko either. I need to see some 3-: faces first. It might be a guest artist like Yasuda(plz god no) was for Devil Survivor.

No way they'd use a guest artist for a game they are going out of their way to stress is the first numbered SMT title in 10 years. Gonna be Kaneko all over this piece. :D

#20 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

One day I will have a 3DS, but now is not the time.

#21 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

@Eirikr: An enormous, blue light, accompanied by shadowy silhouettes and manifold rays of light. Well, It may be too early to say either way.

@mutha3: Those are some mad Kaneko sideburns if I've ever seen them, if that helps.

#22 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

it almost looks like something digital... (this apocalyptic event I mean)

also I wonder if we see Steven in this game.

#23 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

True, those designs are rather Kaneko-esque. The blue trenchcoats dudes with the anime hair on the other hand?hmmmmm.

The dude in the middle is mighty reminiscient of the Law Hero from the original Shin Megami Tensei. The dude with the ball of spiky hair? Well, you've got me there.

#24 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Eirikr@Soren

True, there is about a 99.9% chance that Kaneko is involved with this.

I'm just a little apprehensive, since the guy hasn't done anything with Atlus(as far as I'm aware) since Strange Journey.
#25 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@mutha3
@Eirikr@Soren

I'm just a little apprehensive, since the guy hasn't done anything with Atlus(as far as I'm aware) since Strange Journey.
Kaneko is an Atlus employee, not a freelancer.
#26 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

Howcome the SMT games are NEVER on a console that I own? I was hoping this would be a PS3 game, or even Wii or 360, but no...

Guess it's just another reason to get a 3DS. Seriously, the reasons for owning a 3DS soon will be nuts. Too bad the same can't be said for a Vita (for myself, anyway)

#27 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

@mutha3: Yeah, and that apprehension is honestly anything but ill-founded. On the other hand, I can't imagine they'd play the "Classic SMT" angle so hard if they weren't willing to bring Kaneko himself back. I'd honestly be kinda devastated (maybe a touch strong) otherwise.

#28 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

I'm calling it: 200 new Kaneko demon designs, all just variations on Cu Chulainn.

My favorite game ever?

#29 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@mutha3

@Eirikr@Soren

Kaneko is an Atlus employee, not a freelancer.
You sure that he's still an Atlus employee? I've never got a clear answer on that, I hear different things from different people. He has been doing a lot of freelance work in recent years and very little with Atlus, anyhow.
#30 Edited by Soren (274 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

I'm calling it: 200 new Kaneko demon designs, all just variations on Cu Chulainn.

My favorite game ever?

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a Kaneko design of Cu Chulainn as he appears in that goofy folktale where Finn McCool bites his thumb off.

@Animasta said:

did he do the new demon designs in strange journey? That dominion redesign...

That Dominion design, like a majority of the other designs appropriated for use in SJ, was taken from either Soul Hackers or the original Devil Summoner. He did, however, provide designs for the mothers and Orias.

edit: every time, eirikr, every time

#31 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

My favorite game ever?

man, kaneko can make(another ) 200 Jack Frost variations if he wants.

at this point I'll take anything i can get!
#32 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

I've liked every SMT game I've played since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment in 2000 but have yet to finish one. Always get burned out at the 40hr mark.

How connected are the mainline Shin Megami Tensei titles? Do I need to finally beat my Nocturne save after all these years?

#33 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah, all character and new demon artwork was done by him. Though that's not a whole lot, to be fair.

Most of the "new" demons were just old designs from Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers era, such as the Dominion.

I'm feeling pretty confident we are going to see a nice roster of new demons this time.

#34 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

I can't get excited for this...I can't allow it. It's so far off and I can't keep getting hype for SMT games I won't play for years. STOP IT, ATLUS! STOP MAKING ME LOVE YOU!

#35 Posted by ProfessorK (829 posts) -

Dam, not like this! I so want this game but not on a handheld!!!

#36 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Soren said:

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a Kaneko design of Cu Chulainn as he appears in that goofy folktale where Finn McCool bites his thumb off.

Him just standing there, staring bewilderingly at the point where his thumb used to be. Also his hair is made of penises.

#37 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

anyone else getting a Digimon vibe off of those screens

#38 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

anyone else getting a Digimon vibe off of those screens

Only because this game will be the champion.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Eirikr

@Soren said:

Him just standing there, staring bewilderingly at the point where his thumb used to be. Also his hair is made of penises.

Dreadcocks are totally in fashion in the post-apocalypse.
#40 Posted by Soren (274 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

this is the worst thing I've ever laughed at

#41 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

@Soren said:

@Eirikr said:

this is the worst thing I've ever laughed at

Don't feel too bad. I laughed at this:
@Hailinel said:
Dreadcocks are totally in fashion in the post-apocalypse.
#42 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Daneian said:

I've liked every SMT game I've played since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment in 2000 but have yet to finish one. Always get burned out at the 40hr mark.

How connected are the mainline Shin Megami Tensei titles? Do I need to finally beat my Nocturne save after all these years?

we don't know but it doesn't seem like it so far. SMT 1 and 2 were connected but 3 was connected to them only mildly.

#43 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

The SMT # series are set in some where places, this is no exception and that is not a bad thing.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

someone on another forum said that all we know is that tokyo gets transported to some fantasy world; is this accurate or just heresay?

#45 Posted by Aegon (5821 posts) -

I wonder if this'll spawn another offshoot of the SMT universe, cause it's kind of strange for them to bring back the numbered games in the series at this point. I think this game will probably be really good since they are giving it it's own place in the main series.

#46 Edited by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

I'm not sold until I see the design for Mara.

Just kidding, Atlus games are going to be the reason I buy a 3DS. Was there a US release date mentioned for EO4 or Soul Hackers yet?

Edit: Just reread and saw Soul Hackers isn't even out, so I'm guessing that announcement may be a ways away.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Aegon said:

I wonder if this'll spawn another offshoot of the SMT universe, cause it's kind of strange for them to bring back the numbered games in the series at this point. I think this game will probably be really good since they are giving it it's own place in the main series.

Not really. There was a pretty big gap between Shin Megami Tensei II and III, and the Nocturne universe hasn't been touched since, save for a couple of games featuring the Demi-Fiend as a guest character.

#48 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

wasn't sure if this is the right place or just to post it in a new topic, but the trailer has gotten out in video format, and it looks hella dope

#49 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@Animasta: It's probably worth its own thread!!!

#50 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Or I could just edit the OP to include it. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.