Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 23, 2013

The fourth numbered entry in Atlus's RPG series of occult-themed tales in a post-apocalyptic world.

SMTIV trailer released! (the video this time)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

Some guy said I should post a thread specifically for the video and he's probably right so here we are! I am hype as hell how about you

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vonocourt

Don't understand that at all, but I'll buy it.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ashogo

Catching some of the Japanese dialogue, one guy at the end says basically something like "This world is rotten", which means the situation may be similar to Nocturne in that someone instigates the apocalypse as a way to "cleanse" society. There also seems to be a mix of voices which speak in more formal, ancient speech (one chick mentions something about samurai techniques?) and more lax, modern speech which seems to suggest some sort of mashup of characters from the past and present (which the locations in the video seem to confirm).

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mutha3

this is a videogame i am interested in purchasing.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Hunter5024

As someone whose on the fence about this game and looking for more information to figure out whether or not I should be excited, I don't feel like I learned a damn thing from that trailer. Also was it ridiculously quiet for anyone else, or was buying this 12 dollar sound card an even worse idea than I thought it was?

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Hunter5024: No, it was quiet, and everything said was just panicked background dialogue. But bear in mind this isn't an official release of the teaser.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By aurahack

Welp, I guess it's finally time to buy a 3DS. :S So excited to play it.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By eirikr

@Animasta said:

Some guy

Hey, who do you think I am?

No Caption Provided
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

fuck fuck fuck fuck 

can't wait

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Terramagi

@ashogo said:

Catching some of the Japanese dialogue, one guy at the end says basically something like "This world is rotten", which means the situation may be similar to Nocturne in that someone instigates the apocalypse as a way to "cleanse" society. There also seems to be a mix of voices which speak in more formal, ancient speech (one chick mentions something about samurai techniques?) and more lax, modern speech which seems to suggest some sort of mashup of characters from the past and present (which the locations in the video seem to confirm).

Demons are pretty much the "old" gods of the world in SMT mythos. So it could just be some demon going "I HAVE SWORDS".

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cmblasko

Feel free to educate a noob, here: how are Shin Megami Tensei and Persona connected? The only experience I have with the franchise is the Endurance Run but skimming the wiki is making me really curious about playing through some of these games.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eirikr

@cmblasko said:

Feel free to educate a noob, here: how are Shin Megami Tensei and Persona connected? The only experience I have with the franchise is the Endurance Run but skimming the wiki is making me really curious about playing through some of these games.

Certain games have really tenuous connections that really aren't worth going into. Merely cameos and nods that would make you smile or something if you recognized them.

Otherwise, the connection is pretty straight-forward: Persona is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei. While Shin Megami Tensei deals directly with end-of-the-world scenarios and the ramifications of human identity, Persona uses the same assets (i.e.: demons and mythological characters) to explore psychology and relationships. Ideally, they complement one another.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Terramagi

@cmblasko said:

SMT is the main series. Persona is a spinoff.

To quote somebody whom I've long since forgotten, "Shin Megami Tensei is like that really fucking hardcore dude who carries a whole shitton of swords and bangs a whole ton of women and has like a billion kids, but he doesn't care about any of them because he's out killing deities and shit. And one of those kids is Persona, who only knows his father's name and tries to become like him, in the process becoming a Japanophile pussy."

SMT typically ends up with you fighting the Judeo-Christian God. Persona ends with the power of friendship.

I suppose if you REALLY dig in you can think of the Persona games as taking place in one certain ending of SMT3: Nocturne.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Eirikr said:

@Animasta said:

Some guy

No Caption Provided

I don't recognize this man, so I can't tell who exactly he voiced in Final Fantasy XIII. Given that pretty much the entire playable cast is behind him, I'm going to guess he voiced all of them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@Terramagi said:

@cmblasko said:

To quote somebody whom I've long since forgotten, "Shin Megami Tensei is like that really fucking hardcore dude who carries a whole shitton of swords and bangs a whole ton of women and has like a billion kids, but he doesn't care about any of them because he's out killing deities and shit. And one of those kids is Persona, who only knows his father's name and tries to become like him, in the process becoming a Japanophile pussy."

SMT typically ends up with you fighting the Judeo-Christian God. Persona ends with the power of friendship.

I suppose if you REALLY dig in you can think of the Persona games as taking place in one certain ending of SMT3: Nocturne.

No, if you really dig...

Back on the Super Famicom, Atlus produced Shin Megami Tensei: if..., a game that was set in a Japanese high school where a student enacted a demon summoning ritual and ended up pulling the school into a demon world. The protagonist ends up getting killed early on, but is revived and given the power of a spirit guardian. Some of these basic elements (i.e.: the high school setting, spirit guardians) are similar to what came later in the Persona series.

To further the connection, the female version of if...'s protagonist appears in Persona and Persona 2 as an NPC. Persona 2: innocent Sin (or at least the PSP remake. Not sure if it was in the original version) also contains a sidequest set at the high school that appeared in if....

So basically, depending on whether or not you consider if... an actual spin-off or something else, Persona is a spin-off of a spin-off.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Terramagi

@Hailinel said:

@Terramagi said:

@cmblasko said:

No, if you really dig...

Back on the Super Famicom, Atlus produced Shin Megami Tensei: if..., a game that was set in a Japanese high school where a student enacted a demon summoning ritual and ended up pulling the school into a demon world. The protagonist ends up getting killed early on, but is revived and given the power of a spirit guardian. Some of these basic elements (i.e.: the high school setting, spirit guardians) are similar to what came later in the Persona series.

To further the connection, the female version of if...'s protagonist appears in Persona and Persona 2 as an NPC. Persona 2: innocent Sin (or at least the PSP remake. Not sure if it was in the original version) also contains a sidequest set at the high school that appeared in if....

So basically, depending on whether or not you consider if... an actual spin-off or something else, Persona is a spin-off of a spin-off.

Well, he did have a LOT of children. Not my fault he ended up nailing his own daughter.

IT'S SMT, THAT STUFF HAPPENS.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cmblasko

@Eirikr: @Terramagi: @Hailinel: Thanks for the informative and hilarious responses. So are any of these games' stories directly tied together or it is a Final Fantasy "similar concepts, different setting" kind of thing? And I gather that the Shin Megami Tensei surname is only present on Persona titles for marketing purposes?

I really need to dig into these games when I have the time. Since you guys seem to know the series well, which ones should I look into playing?

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By ashogo

@cmblasko: If you're interested in Shin Megami Tensei, you should definitely play Nocturne, the last numbered game in the series. If you like that, there's also Digital Devil Saga, which is similar in a lot of ways but has a little more involved story.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Pepsiman

@ashogo said:

Regarding the samurai stuff specifically, she's still speaking in modern Japanese, but just seems to be referring to something in the past in general. Here's what I caught:

「父上教えてくれなかった侍の死因・・・」 (For English speakers, this is a sentence fragment in Japanese, so it's hard to be certain without more context what all is being said, but she says something along the lines of, "My father never told me how the samurai died out...")

She inflects that last audible part a little bit weirdly, but I'm 99% certain that's what she said and it makes sense, all things considered. 父上 is certainly a more formal way of referring to one's father than what most people use today, but it's not completely unheard of in modern society to use it. It doesn't make your theory less valid, but if they wanted her to really sound like she was from the past, her Japanese would likely be significantly more obtuse and possibly even go into classical mode. If she's from the past, it's, at the earliest, after the Meiji Restoration and, much like 19th century English, Japanese from that period has its differences, but is still largely comprehensible with today's knowledge.

Some other things to note:

• Right before the guy declares that the world is a hellhole, another one mentions wanting to save the world since it's seemingly about to be destroyed the next day. I bet everybody who's already well-versed in the series could guess that there would be factions to pick, but just in case, that was probably a reminder.
    • The ongoing theory regarding the scenery is that the game actually takes place in a world that's sufficiently degenerated to the point where "modern society" has been put in containment zones. The time travel theory was posited before when the site initially went live, but the skyline behind that main wall still has modern Tokyo buildings and, likewise, the ruins of actual places in that city more or less resemble their modern counterparts.

Obviously, all of this is more or less conjecture, so I could be wrong on all of this, too. I just thought I'd throw it out there for more stuff to discuss, especially for non-Japanese speakers here.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

Yep, looks like Japan.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@Pepsiman said:

@ashogo said:

Regarding the samurai stuff specifically, she's still speaking in modern Japanese, but just seems to be referring to something in the past in general. Here's what I caught:

「父上教えてくれなかった侍の死因・・・」 (For English speakers, this is a sentence fragment in Japanese, so it's hard to be certain without more context what all is being said, but she says something along the lines of, "My father never told me how the samurai died out...")

She inflects that last audible part a little bit weirdly, but I'm 99% certain that's what she said and it makes sense, all things considered. 父上 is certainly a more formal way of referring to one's father than what most people use today, but it's not completely unheard of in modern society to use it. It doesn't make your theory less valid, but if they wanted her to really sound like she was from the past, her Japanese would likely be significantly more obtuse and possibly even go into classical mode. If she's from the past, it's, at the earliest, after the Meiji Restoration and, much like 19th century English, Japanese from that period has its differences, but is still largely comprehensible with today's knowledge.

Some other things to note:

• Right before the guy declares that the world is a hellhole, another one mentions wanting to save the world since it's seemingly about to be destroyed the next day. I bet everybody who's already well-versed in the series could guess that there would be factions to pick, but just in case, that was probably a reminder.
    • The ongoing theory regarding the scenery is that the game actually takes place in a world that's sufficiently degenerated to the point where "modern society" has been put in containment zones. The time travel theory was posited before when the site initially went live, but the skyline behind that main wall still has modern Tokyo buildings and, likewise, the ruins of actual places in that city more or less resemble their modern counterparts.

Obviously, all of this is more or less conjecture, so I could be wrong on all of this, too. I just thought I'd throw it out there for more stuff to discuss, especially for non-Japanese speakers here.

Thanks for the translation!

It's pretty obvious that the game is going to go for the idea of siding with law/neutrality/chaos. Given what the series is predicated on, I'd have been shocked if that weren't the case in this game. But more than that, I'm really curious as to what the story actually is. I can think of several ways that modern Tokyo could appear amidst what appears to be a more feudal society, but once again, given this series, all of my guesses could be completely off-base and I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eirikr

Let's just hope they don't give a voice actor to Lucifer (let's be honest, he'll be in this game), because once he dies, the Japanese fans will decree Lucifer never appear again! Pretty convenient for YHVH, huh? (sorry, I can't get over how dumb that idea is)

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:

@Eirikr said:

@Animasta said:

Some guy

No Caption Provided

I don't recognize this man, so I can't tell who exactly he voiced in Final Fantasy XIII. Given that pretty much the entire playable cast is behind him, I'm going to guess he voiced all of them.

That man isn't a voice actor...

He is a god.
    Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jay444111

Wait... that castle in the middle of nowhere looks like... a ancient Jerusalem... Oh boy... this is going to be interesting!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bocam

@Eirikr said:

Let's just hope they don't give a voice actor to Lucifer (let's be honest, he'll be in this game), because once he dies, the Japanese fans will decree Lucifer never appear again! Pretty convenient for YHVH, huh? (sorry, I can't get over how dumb that idea is)

If it's like any other SMT game on the 3DS, Lucifer will have a voice in human form but suddenly lose it if he becomes a demon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.