Ten minutes of Shin Megami Tensei IV gameplay.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (23944 posts) -

A video presenting ten minutes of gameplay from Shin Megami Tensei IV has been posted to Youtube. For those interested, it shows off a little bit of exploration and combat, along with series staples like demon fusion and negotiation. This video is of the Japanese version, but I think if you know SMT, you can probably get the gist of it.

The North American release is closing in. I can't wait!

In before "But what about Persona 5?"

#2 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

And here's nearly 30 minutes of video, but it's potentially spoilery (guy attempting to beat an early boss), so if you're concerned about that stick to the one Hailinel posted.

Have some Cathedral of Shadows music (from the Sound and Art Collection bonus CD) too:

My copy is currently out for delivery. EEEEEEEE

#3 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Damn. That looks awesome, I really wanna play this game but, I'm not ready to get a 3DS yet.

#4 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

@eirikr: God damn that version of Cathedral of Shadows is amazing. A ton of the music in this game is shaping up to be absolutely fantastic.

#5 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@neoepoch: Yeah, it's really something. If nothing else, watch the other video I linked (put it in a different tab and don't watch the video if you're concerned about spoilers) just to hear the full boss music, it's pretty rad.

I also should have clarified that the Cathedral track I linked is a medley of themes from 1, 2, Nocturne, and Majin Tensei. Dunno yet if it's actually in the game, the in-game Cathedral theme is definitely not this live organ version.

#6 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

Okay I'm gonna be the one to ask. Will I be lost if I jump into this game without playing any of the other main Shin Megami Tensei games?

#7 Posted by Zeik (2242 posts) -

I really love the enemy death animations in this game. They're fantastic.

Okay I'm gonna be the one to ask. Will I be lost if I jump into this game without playing any of the other main Shin Megami Tensei games?

The developers have specifically stated they made it with the intention that you won't need to play previous games to enjoy it. SMT is generally stand-alone anyway.

#8 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

@zeik: Cool. I'm sure lots of people such as myself was introduced to SMT games via Persona and I've always wanted to give the main series a try.

#9 Edited by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

@eirikr: Yeah, I figured as much. There would be no way that 10 minute song would be what would used in the game, especially since it is a medley of the other Cathedral of Shadows. I just heard the SMT I Cathedral of Shadows and sorta drowned in awesomeness and hearing the other ones after that was pure pleasure to the ears.

@oscar__explosion: It helps because there are some slight differences in style and gameplay, but to be frank the first two games and if... play way different than any of the current SMT games do anyway, especially ever since Nocturne introduced the press turn battle system. But thematically they all are pretty similar in their oppressive atmospheres and dark tones. Also there will probably be a ton of references that players of the older games will get, such as the remixed music from the earlier games.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8560 posts) -

You have my attention, SMTIV.

Though, the select noise as you move around the cursor was grating on me a little bit. How did everyone else feel about it?

#11 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

I just pre-ordered it yesterday. The Gamestop guy actually knew what SMT was, which seems to be a rarity.

#12 Posted by Nev (540 posts) -

This is looking excellent! I've been playing through Strange Journey the past week, and it's really gotten me more stoked for SMT4.

#13 Edited by FrostedMiniWheats (52 posts) -

@believer258: Poor Gamestop guys have probably had to learn what SMT is and learn quick. Getting word that they've got a giant book/game case/CD package coming in to fit somewhere on their shelves is an irregularity and a nuisance of such a degree I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the game sticks out in many of those employees minds.

#14 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Everything I see about this game just makes the release date seem farther and farther away.

The 3DS continues to dominate all of my game time. With Fire Emblem, now Soul Hackers, and SMT IV coming up (with a little bit of Project X Zone thrown in for good measure.), my other consoles are getting a little dusty.

#15 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

does anybody actually know what a 'Shin Megami Tensei' is?

#16 Edited by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

@bell_end: A book in Japan, though if you mean what does it mean it's uh... True Goddess Rebirth? I think it's 真 and not 新 at least, I actually forget.

EDIT: OH wait, it's at the bottom of the video, nevermind. Yeah it's 'True' then

#19 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Pretty excited, it's out in Japan today though, so be wary of spoilers.

#20 Posted by leinad44 (503 posts) -

How long until this makes it to Europe? 8-9 months?

#21 Posted by Zeik (2242 posts) -

You have my attention, SMTIV.

Though, the select noise as you move around the cursor was grating on me a little bit. How did everyone else feel about it?

I really like it actually. It's a big improvement over the one used in Nocturne.

@leinad44 said:

How long until this makes it to Europe? 8-9 months?

NIS America announced they were bringing it over some time ago, and they seem reasonably timely with their European releases, so I'd expect it by the end of the year.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

@believer258: Poor Gamestop guys have probably had to learn what SMT is and learn quick. Getting word that they've got a giant book/game case/CD package coming in to fit somewhere on their shelves is an irregularity and a nuisance of such a degree I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the game sticks out in many of those employees minds.

Considering that we had a short conversation about Persona games which he brought up and not myself, I'd say that he knew a little bit about Atlus and SMT games.

@bell_end said:

does anybody actually know what a 'Shin Megami Tensei' is?

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei is a book in Japan. In the '80's, Atlus developed Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei, a game based on the book, and that was published by Namco for the NES. The name meant "Rebirth of the Goddess", according to Wikipedia. When the SNES came along, Atlus self-published "Shin Megami Tensei, which means something like "True Goddess Reincarnation". The story of the original is about a high school student who develops a computer program that can summon demons, and a girl in the book is the reincarnation of Izanami. Remember her? The antagonist of Persona 4?

Shin Megami Tensei also has a girl who is reincarnated and thought to be the Messiah, again according to Wikipedia.

#23 Posted by Iodine (543 posts) -

Damnit, I still need to finish Fire Emblem.

#24 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

There some features of what I think is a player advance skills and abilities section that is similar to SMT3 Nocturne's parasite system. Curious to see what it is.

#25 Posted by Zeik (2242 posts) -

There some features of what I think is a player advance skills and abilities section that is similar to SMT3 Nocturne's parasite system. Curious to see what it is.

SMT4 uses something called the whisper system, where he learns his skills directly from his demons. I'm not sure the specifics on what triggers it though, beyond leveling up your demons.

#26 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

so i may be wrong but it looks like there arent any more random battles? i certainly hope so because despite how much i generally enjoyed nocturne it was a huge bummer not being able to walk 20 steps without getting jumped.

#27 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -
@casper_ said:

so i may be wrong but it looks like there arent any more random battles? i certainly hope so because despite how much i generally enjoyed nocturne it was a huge bummer not being able to walk 20 steps without getting jumped.

Not really random, no. You'll see figures while walking around that you can attack (or be attacked by) to trigger battles. You can even get a vague idea of what you'll be up against by the figure's shape (Humanoid figure = some humanoid foes, Bird-like figure = avian foes, etc.)

#28 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

@zeik said:

@metalsnakezero said:

SMT4 uses something called the whisper system, where he learns his skills directly from his demons. I'm not sure the specifics on what triggers it though, beyond leveling up your demons.

That sounds cool. I wonder how limited it is or just completely open.

#29 Edited by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: Whisper Events happen once a demon learns all its skills. So that can take between one or a few level ups to occur.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.