Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 23, 2013

The fourth numbered entry in Atlus's RPG series of occult-themed tales in a post-apocalyptic world.

Why are there so many cheap shots?

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm m enjoying this game, but I have to complain a little. Why are there such easy cheap shots in combat? Fighting enemies even half my level can still kill me with two lucky shots in a row. It happens with regularity. People say these games are super hard, but that's not difficulty, it's just flaw.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

One of the bigger changes to the game is the removal of Endurance as a stat you can put points into. From what I remember the only way to increase your defense is through buff spells or gear that increases your hp. Really its only a problem toward the beginning of the game when you have relatively few options for dealing with demons.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is like Demon's Souls in the sense that it starts off extremely difficult, demanding your attention, and then as the game goes on, you become better at managing your stuff and the game becomes easier and easier as a result. Give it time.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

The beginning is probably the hardest part of the game honestly. Enemies hit real hard and you have few options. Eventually you should have enough useful demons and skills that you can generally avoid those cheap shots.

Make sure you're utilizing every option at your disposal though. If an enemy is causing you particular trouble you can always use negotiation to get rid of them. If I recall, if you happen to have the demon in your party or stock then they always leave the fight when you talk to them.

Fighting isn't always the ideal tactic.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

The first five hours of SMTIV are unfairly difficult. The rest of the game's difficulty is pretty good. Medusa is the last fight that I felt was really unfair. Well, unfair in the boss's favor. The last few hours of the game are also really easy.

Buffs are important! Sukukaja is an easy spell to look at and go "meh, looks useless", but casting Sukukaja a few times causes most enemy attacks, especially physical ones (they have a lower chance to hit anyway) to miss you.

Talk to demons. You can often get something out of talking to them, or you can recruit them and fuse 'em up. In any case, it's a good way to avoid a lot of fighting. EDIT: As @zeik said, if you have a demon in your party or stock, you can avoid fighting that demon completely by talking to it. You could have a collection of the general area's demons hanging around in your stock and just breeze through.

Finally, you can save anywhere in SMTIV. Take advantage of this.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I remember this game being brutal for the first 10-20 hours, and then actually really easy towards the end. I did grind a ton, though.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buffs are important! Sukukaja is an easy spell to look at and go "meh, looks useless", but casting Sukukaja a few times causes most enemy attacks, especially physical ones (they have a lower chance to hit anyway) to miss you.

This is mainly true if you've played a lot of other JRPG series, where buffs/debuffs/status effects are typically not very effective or useful and it's always better to just throw huge damage at the enemy. SMT bucks that trend quite a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.