Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 03, 2011

A PSP remake of the original PS1 title Persona 2: Innocent Sin. The remake is the first version of the game to see official release in North America.

Hey this comes out tomorrow

• 70 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

Let the "they should ER this" begin

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kingzetta

I was just told there is zero voice acting in this game. If it is sans voice it is sans me.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By thisguyrich

cool, i was getting worried i wouldnt find a good way to lose this 50 $ bill.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta

@thisguyrich said:

cool, i was getting worried i wouldnt find a good way to lose this 50 $ bill.

and you'll have 10 left

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

I was thinking of buying a PSP because of this (not solely because of this but you know)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

OK.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta

it would make a horrible ER with no voice

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By BradBrains

it would make a horrible endurance run in general.

i like the game a lot but it definitely shows its age at this point. im interested to play the psp version for sure. and play a professional translation and update of the game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@kingzetta said:

I was just told there is zero voice acting in this game. If it is sans voice it is sans me.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that games with a lot of story and no voice acting in 2011 is ridiculous. I'm not going to mention any other games though (cough, Skyward Sword, cough). Dammit!

shhetghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shhetghost

not enough funny moments and distractions in that game to make an endurance run, when you play it you are always aware you are playing a game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

Hey so does Gears.

Guess which one I'm getting.

Its Gears, I'm getting Gears.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that games with a lot of story and no voice acting in 2011 is ridiculous. I'm not going to mention any other games though (cough, Skyward Sword, cough). Dammit!

Also it's atlus they are normally really good about putting a lot of voice in their games.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bybeach

I watched a bit of it at another site. same ole same ole and rather outdated.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh snap. So it does. I've actually played a few hours of the PS1 version of the game through... certain means, and I can't say it especially drew me in. It's pretty much your standard pre-Persona 3 SMT game, which means it still has that totally stupid demon negotiation mechanic as well as a generally pro-grind difficulty curve. I don't have a PSP either way, but just like the re-release of the original Persona, don't be fooled into thinking this is the JRPG/Dating Sim hybrid that won all of our hearts back in 2009.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By endaround

@kingzetta said:

There wasn't zero in the original game, just next to zero. There was voice acting during some types of demon negotiation.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BrockNRolla

@EuanDewar said:

Hey so does Gears. Guess which one I'm getting. Its Gears, I'm getting Gears.

Boom. That was going to be my joke.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Juno500

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

I think it's ridiculous you guys would pass on this because it lacks such a minor feature.

@ArbitraryWater said:

Oh snap. So it does. I've actually played a few hours of the PS1 version of the game through... certain means, and I can't say it especially drew me in. It's pretty much your standard pre-Persona 3 SMT game, which means it still has that totally stupid demon negotiation mechanic as well as a generally pro-grind difficulty curve. I don't have a PSP either way, but just like the re-release of the original Persona, don't be fooled into thinking this is the JRPG/Dating Sim hybrid that won all of our hearts back in 2009.

It's not a pre-Persona 3 mechanic, there are MegaTen games that have come out since that also have demon negotiation.

Anyway, got this pre-ordered on Amazon, can't wait for it to come.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @Juno500 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

I think it's ridiculous you guys would pass on this beause it lacks such a minor feature.

It's not a  minor feature at all honky
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

I've got this preordered on Amazon. Between this and Tactics Ogre, I might get some use out of my PSP this year yet.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Juno500

@kingzetta: I'd say it's easily among the least important features in any video game.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kingzetta
    @Juno500 said:

@kingzetta: I'd say it's easily among the least important features in any video game.

Well that's what you think
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Juno500 said:

For a handheld I would agree depending on the game but in most other instances it isn't. Imagine in Uncharted Nathan Drake walks gets jumps out of a building and when he lands a text pops up saying "Woah, we just jumped out of that." and it was Nathan Drake standing still repeating the same animation before you hit the x button. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and allthe Deus Ex's (They may not have the best voice acting but for the type of games the Deus Ex series are they are vital.) Metal Gear Solid, Batman, Assassin's Creed, even God Of War would seem lifeless without voice.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta

@ArbitraryWater said:

actually, this game is miles superior to persona 1 so comparisons to that game do it an injustice. this game also has, in some people's opinions, a far superior story than Persona 3 or 4. I never got very far into it either (much farther than you but I didn't even get to Jun) so I wouldn't know, but...

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By wadtomaton

I had this preordered but since I know I'm getting a Vita I decided the soundtrack wasn't enough to justify getting the physical copy and not having it on my Vita later.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwilitEnd656

@Hailinel said:

I've got this preordered on Amazon. Between this and Tactics Ogre, I might get some use out of my PSP this year yet.

Oh, man, I forgot I haven't beaten Tactics Ogre yet. I popped in Monster Hunter just for the hell of it, and found myself drawn in again. I think my PSP is happy about its use.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By WickedCestus

@Afroman269 said:

OK.

It's like a sideways stickman.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel

@kingzetta said:

@Juno500 said:

Voice acting, while appreciated, isn't a necessity. That Persona 2 wasn't fully voiced back in the day certainly didn't hurt it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:

@kingzetta said:

@Juno500 said:

Voice acting, while appreciated, isn't a necessity. That Persona 2 wasn't fully voiced back in the day certainly didn't hurt it.

Well we weren't spoiled back then
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Juno500

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Juno500 said:

For a handheld I would agree depending on the game but in most other instances it isn't. Imagine in Uncharted Nathan Drake walks gets jumps out of a building and when he lands a text pops up saying "Woah, we just jumped out of that." and it was Nathan Drake standing still repeating the same animation before you hit the x button. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and allthe Deus Ex's (They may not have the best voice acting but for the type of games the Deus Ex series are they are vital.) Metal Gear Solid, Batman, Assassin's Creed, even God Of War would seem lifeless without voice.

Nah, even in those games there are still many, many things I think are higher priority than voice acting.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Juno500: Of course there are higher priorities like getting the game to work but to say voice acting is minor is something I strongly disagree with.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingzetta
    @Juno500: Buuuuuullllllllllshit uncharted would be nothing without Nolan North.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh hey it is! Hmm... tempting, but I dunno, too many releases this season to start a JRPG this long.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Juno500

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Juno500: Of course there are higher priorities like getting the game to work but to say voice acting is minor is something I strongly disagree with.

I'm not so much saying it's minor in those games as I am saying that it's just a very low priority relative to others. Uncharted might not be the same with little/no voice acting, but if forced to make a choice, it's still one of the very first things I'd throw out of that game, no hesitation.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Undeadpool

@EuanDewar said:

Persona 2!...did I get it right?

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I'm not so much saying it's minor in those games as I am saying that it's just a very low priority relative to others. Uncharted might not be the same with little/no voice acting, but if forced to make a choice, it's still one of the very first things I'd throw out of that game, no hesitation.

I guess it's good that you aren't in charge of those decisions if you think that voice acting is the lowest priority in most games.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingzetta
    @Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Christ if you were in charged, we'd never would have moved passed the SNES.
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Juno500

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I guess it's good that you aren't in charge of those decisions if you think that voice acting is the lowest priority in most games.

Well, what would you prefer I throw out then? For all this criticism you're giving me you aren't really explaining your side on this.

@kingzetta said:

@Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Christ if you were in charged, we'd never would have moved passed the SNES.

Stop the goddamn strawman bullshit.

I have no problems with voice acting as a concept. I even welcome it. If I were making games, I would totally have VO in my games. I even enjoy listening to excellent VO performances in many games, like I really appreciated Catherine for its excellent work on it, especially by Troy Baker and Michelle Ruff.

But if you were to ask me why Catherine is my favorite game of the year so far, I'd point to many, many things before I mentioned how great the VO was.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingzetta
    @Juno500: Don't take things so seriously and clam down.
    Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Cathryn

My copy shipped from Amazon earlier today. Pretty surprised they broke the street date.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kingzetta
    @Cathryn said:

My copy shipped from Amazon earlier today. Pretty surprised they broke the street date.

well it's not really breaking street date, unless you have it in your hands before stores sell it.
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Juno500

@Cathryn said:

I don't think it's technically breaking the street date if the package won't get there until after the scheduled date.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Cathryn

@kingzetta: Meh, maybe, I just find it pretty rare for Amazon to ship stuff before the release date. Thinking back, I'm pretty certain it's never happened to me before. Pleasant surprise, I guess.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kingzetta
    @Cathryn: when I ordered MGS4 and got the slow shipping. it oddly but awesomely showed up on two days instead of like a week and a half.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@EuanDewar said:

I was hoping for a big twist but nope. Way to let the audience down.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I will get this game when I get a Vita (if it's at all possible).

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Flappy

I'll be picking it up this afternoon. From the couple of hours that I've played of it in the past, I can say that this thing will be getting lots of attention.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Juno500 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Well, what would you prefer I throw out then? For all this criticism you're giving me you aren't really explaining your side on this.

I already did here

@SethPhotopoulos said:

But I'll go in deeper.

What I would throw out would definitely be dependent on the type of game. In most games I'd try and cut some of the minor things that wouldn't detract much from the game. Maybe the menus would get less work as long as they are easily navigable. Maybe slightly longer load times for my environment to come alive, as long as it isn't a minute or two to load that could work. Now we'll go on to major things

On faster paced games like Uncharted, God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc you would need voice acting for when the characters speak or you are given directions or just for general atmosphere. Having a text box that appears and disallows you to do anything but sit there while you watch Nathan Drake, Ezio, Jak, etc do the same animation until you hit next would ruin the pacing of those games. Faster paced games would need stuff in the background, I'm sure you weren't talking about this. But you would need people yelling, screaming, dying, talking etc in the background or you risk the atmosphere feeling empty and cheap. Having a city full of people with everyone doing there business and not saying a word in an open world style game like GTA or Assassin's Creed would feel overly lazy as well as unintentionally eery. The open world stuff like Zelda and slower paced RPGS don't necessarily need those things because in those titles there is already very little that is happening in the city.

Now we will split the faster paced games up. Story based faster paced games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, etc. There is no need for a multi-player component in any of these games which survive mostly through the single-player experience. That may be a major cut but completely unnecessary cause even though a lot of people may talk about how great the multiplayer is in some of those games people mainly remember the single player.

Now we move to the multiplayer based games with fast pace. Call of Duty, Battle Field, Street Fighter, etc. Those game are largely only played for the multiplayer experience. I would cut the single player or minimalize it. Those type of games would need voice acting for mainly atmospheric reasons and for those type of games sound design is really important. You want to hear that gun go off, feel the punches, fear the bombs, and listen to others either screaming for pain or celebrating a victory. Battlefield has done well with just the multiplayer in the past because that's all it used to come with. Call of Duty would also survive on just that alone.

Now if you think about RPGs depending on the type of RPG it is it may or may not need voice acting. Games in the style of the older Final Fantasy and even a lot of current SMT games don't need voice acting since they are so deliberately paced. Those are games where you would spend much of your time grinding. A game that doesn't require your undivided attention. Of course there would still be voices like getting damaged and grunts, and while I prefer the weird voice scramble thing that Okami used most games in that nature don't need a deep level of voice acting. RPGs in BioWare's style put to much into the characters to get rid of voice acting as their voices can add a dimension to the character and for the most part do.

Now if cutting multiplayer or singleplayer isn't an option then I would look for other things. Would this weapon work in the game, no, well cut it then. Is this vehicle sequence really fun and if yes do we need these specific vehicles, ok this thing works but not this so cut it. After thinking about this level does it mesh well with the game, is it fun, is it tedious? Well it is tedious and doesn't fit with the over all game so I'll have to go back to the drawing bored. Does this map work for the amount of players we want, no, well we'll work on something else.

Voice acting would be required in most games I would work on for the reasons stated above. Character driven, story focused, atmospheric, and/or fast paced games need voice acting in 2011. Characters need voices to add dimensions. Reading text under Garrus would not give you the same impact if not for the voice to bring it to life. There are certain tones and inflections that have to be conveyed to show the characters emotion. The writer creates the dialog and the actors make it work. Games with people in the background like Rome or New York need people to talk just to give the world depth. Voice acting keeps up the pacing.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Juno500

@SethPhotopoulos:

That sounds terrible. Cut single-player? What the fuck? I completely disagree with that.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mutha3
    @Juno500 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

I think it's ridiculous you guys would pass on this because it lacks such a minor feature.

Agreed. Of all the things I wished they'd done, this one doesn't really bother me much. I'd rather they modernized the game....

I might actually end up buying this when it hits Europe, though. Ghostlight put together a pretty damn sweet package and I want to battle the notion that JRPGs can't sell well in the west.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mutha3 said:

@Juno500 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

Agreed. Of all the things I wished they'd done, this one doesn't really bother me much. I'd rather they modernized the game....I might actually end up buying this when it hits Europe, though. Ghostlight put together a pretty damn sweet package and I want to battle the notion that JRPGs can't sell well in the west.

I never said I was going to pass on Skyward Sword, and I had literally zero interest in Persona 2 to begin with. Lack of voice acting doesn't help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.