Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 03, 2011

A PSP remake of the original PS1 title Persona 2: Innocent Sin. The remake is the first version of the game to see official release in North America.

Officially confirmed for release in North America this fall

• 81 results
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By C2C

...Yeesh, can we not get into the whole legitimizing piracy debate here? Honestly I dunno why people dredge up that type of flame bait.

As for the topic at hand, I don't think I'll be getting this. I kinda ruined the story for myself (before they announced a PSP version of this game) when I finished P2:EP and looked up a plot summary. The combat system itself is not enough to sell me on it, so unfortunately for Atlus that means this will be the first Persona game I don't buy since P3 (not counting P3P)

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mutha3
    @vidiot: Atlus JP rereleased a PS1 game in 2011. What worked back then, doesn't fly now, and unlike any final fantasy game, P2 is not a timeless classic -- but a janky, broken game. A lot of issues it had could have been easily fixed and should have been.  The  game isn't worth the price of admission because people pirated it.........it isn't worth the price of admission because it looks and plays like something from 1998. 

Piracy is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

@WatanabeKazuma

said:

I'm on the fence with this, the middling reception has confused me somewhat. As someone who hasn't played the game before though, should I get this version?

Can you tolerate 90's jankiness? If so, then by all means. For everyone else, however.....

EDIT: if you're set on playing it:  this is the best version, yeah.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By vidiot
    @mutha3 said:
    @vidiot: Atlus JP rereleased a PS1 game in 2011. What worked back then, doesn't fly now, and unlike any final fantasy game, P2 is not a timeless classic -- but a janky, broken game. A lot of issues it had could have been easily fixed and should have been. 

Sure.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mutha3
    @vidiot said:
    @mutha3 said:
    @vidiot: Atlus JP rereleased a PS1 game in 2011. What worked back then, doesn't fly now, and unlike any final fantasy game, P2 is not a timeless classic -- but a janky, broken game. A lot of issues it had could have been easily fixed and should have been. 

Sure.
    I don't get it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3 said:

@vidiot: Atlus JP rereleased a PS1 game in 2011. What worked back then, doesn't fly now, and unlike any final fantasy game, P2 is not a timeless classic -- but a janky, broken game. A lot of issues it had could have been easily fixed and should have been. The game isn't worth the price of admission because people pirated it.........it isn't worth the price of admission because it looks and plays like something from 1998.

Regardless of how you feel about how good the game is or how well it's aged, it doesn't justify people pirating it so they don't have to spend the money.

Innocent Sin may be an old rerelease, but this is the first time that the game will officially be available in English. Yes, it's an old PS1 era RPG with a new coat of paint, but it's an old PS1 RPG that many westerners never had the chance to play in any legitimate sense, and certainly not with what features were added for this new version. But saying "fuck it, not worth $40, I'll just torrent it" is bullshit of the highest order.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

But saying "fuck it, not worth $40, I'll just torrent it" is bullshit of the highest order.

That's not what I'm saying or advocating, though.

I can't speak for the original poster, but this piracy conversation feels like a stupid side tangent and irrelevant to the original point-- that Atlus should have done a better job with the port.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    @Hailinel said:

But saying "fuck it, not worth $40, I'll just torrent it" is bullshit of the highest order.

That's not what I'm saying or advocating, though.  I can't speak for the orignal poster, but this piracy conversation is a stupid side tangent and irrelevant to the original point-- that Atlus should have done a better job with the port.
    but it's just a port of the very same game with a few new quests. Why do you say do a better job when it's a port, they weren't re-vamping the whole thing. It's not a stupid point on the piracy part, you've gotten to play it, you can't vent that it's not good/better than the one to took without consent/didn't come to the US. It's the same game with like two new quests, they never said it was anything different.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mutha3
    @Catolf said:

but it's just a port of the very same game with a few new quests.

And that game has a lot of flaws from its era which could(and should) have been corrected.

They haven't, so I'm not buying.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By bonbolapti

part of getting an old game is enjoying it's oldness :D

it's janky janky oldness

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    @Catolf said:

And that game has a lot of flaws from its era which could(and should) have been corrected.  They haven't, so I'm not buying.
    but...

@bonbolapti said:
    part of getting an old game is enjoying it's oldness :D  it's janky janky oldness

this.

It's your money so.. XP
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Juno500
    @mutha3 said:
    @Catolf said:

And that game has a lot of flaws from its era which could(and should) have been corrected.  They haven't, so I'm not buying.
    Serious question: What flaws are those?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mutha3
    @Juno500 said:

@mutha3 said:

@Catolf said:

Interface,long loading times inbetween battles, long boring stretches of grey corridors , gameplay systems that consists of nothing but busywork, sloooooowwwwww ass animations etc. etc.

Most significantly, though: Game balance. Its completely out of wack. You can beat this game  by repeating two things: whatever powerful fusion spell is available to you and Mediarama. However, despite that, the random encounter rate is so ridiculous and your options in battle are so limited....ON TOP of the terrible fusion system which requires you to talk with demons for cards, doubling the amount of  battles you will have to partake in.

Its simultaneously mad easy, yet incredibly grindy.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#63  Edited By QuistisTrepe
    @Hailinel said:

I don't recall anyone advocating that. While I did download the thing when the fan translation patched was announced around the end of 2008 iirc, I'll pick this game up anyway, I just won't be doing it with quite the same enthusiasm as P3P.
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Juno500
    @mutha3
    Fair enough.

But I heard many of the same things about Persona 1 PSP and I still enjoyed that game quite a bit. So I'm still pretty excited about this.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mutha3
    @Juno500: If you could deal with P1, you'll be able to handle P2 just fine. P2 is actually a whole lot better. P1 is probably the worst megaten game I've ever played.

There is no animation skip like there was in P1, though.
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Juno500
    @mutha3: DDS2 was worse, but that's a debate for another thread.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mutha3
    @Juno500 said:
    @mutha3:but that's a debate for another thread.
    It is.

But you're crazy:P
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mutha3
    @rebgav said:

@mutha3 said:

Interface,long loading times inbetween battles, long boring stretches of grey corridors , gameplay systems that consists of nothing but busywork, sloooooowwwwww ass animations etc. etc.

Ah, I see that you're describing every pre-PS2 SMT game.

Word. Nocturne was the first truly  great SMT. 

I don't know if it's a commentary on japanese game development or the japanese market but it's kind of sad that it took Atlus nearly 20 years to make a MegaTen game which was significantly different from the formula of the old Namco games.

It took them Hashino taking over as director:P

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    @Juno500 said:

@mutha3 said:

@Catolf said:

Interface,long loading times inbetween battles, long boring stretches of grey corridors , gameplay systems that consists of nothing but busywork, sloooooowwwwww ass animations etc. etc. Most significantly, though: Game balance. Its completely out of wack. You can beat this game  by repeating two things: whatever powerful fusion spell is available to you and Mediarama. However, despite that, the random encounter rate is so ridiculous and your options in battle are so limited....ON TOP of the terrible fusion system which requires you to talk with demons for cards, doubling the amount of  battles you will have to partake in. Its simultaneously mad easy, yet incredibly grindy.
    just seems like your complaining about it being old. It's an old game getting ported with sound track and so on, thats like looking at Nintendo if they re-released the first SMB yet they didn't fix the many glitches and unfairness that went with it..

Seems like a ridiculous request.

It's a port of an old ass game for the fans that didn't get to play with like two bells added. I'd prefer them to keep it as is and put more effort on things that are new. Like Persona 5. if anything the topic of conversation should be "Finally." or "About damn time" and leave it as such, not be complaining that they didn't tweek an old ass game.. cause it's old. XP
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By Animasta

@Catolf said:

@mutha3 said:
    @Juno500 said:

@mutha3 said:

@Catolf said:

And that game has a lot of flaws from its era which could(and should) have been corrected. They haven't, so I'm not buying.
    Interface,long loading times inbetween battles, long boring stretches of grey corridors , gameplay systems that consists of nothing but busywork, sloooooowwwwww ass animations etc. etc. Most significantly, though: Game balance. Its completely out of wack. You can beat this game by repeating two things: whatever powerful fusion spell is available to you and Mediarama. However, despite that, the random encounter rate is so ridiculous and your options in battle are so limited....ON TOP of the terrible fusion system which requires you to talk with demons for cards, doubling the amount of battles you will have to partake in. Its simultaneously mad easy, yet incredibly grindy.
    just seems like your complaining about it being old. It's an old game getting ported with sound track and so on, thats like looking at Nintendo if they re-released the first SMB yet they didn't fix the many glitches and unfairness that went with it.. Seems like a ridiculous request. It's a port of an old ass game for the fans that didn't get to play with like two bells added. I'd prefer them to keep it as is and put more effort on things that are new. Like Persona 5. if anything the topic of conversation should be "Finally." or "About damn time" and leave it as such, not be complaining that they didn't tweek an old ass game.. cause it's old. XP

there's a difference between Persona 2 and SMB; SMB is still fun to play, Persona 2... isn't. I stopped on the fan translation right before going up a mountain because the game was so grindy and so slow.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Catolf
    @Laketown said:

@Catolf said:

@mutha3 said:

@Juno500 said:

@mutha3 said:

@Catolf said:

And that game has a lot of flaws from its era which could(and should) have been corrected. They haven't, so I'm not buying.
    Interface,long loading times inbetween battles, long boring stretches of grey corridors , gameplay systems that consists of nothing but busywork, sloooooowwwwww ass animations etc. etc. Most significantly, though: Game balance. Its completely out of wack. You can beat this game by repeating two things: whatever powerful fusion spell is available to you and Mediarama. However, despite that, the random encounter rate is so ridiculous and your options in battle are so limited....ON TOP of the terrible fusion system which requires you to talk with demons for cards, doubling the amount of battles you will have to partake in. Its simultaneously mad easy, yet incredibly grindy.
    just seems like your complaining about it being old. It's an old game getting ported with sound track and so on, thats like looking at Nintendo if they re-released the first SMB yet they didn't fix the many glitches and unfairness that went with it.. Seems like a ridiculous request. It's a port of an old ass game for the fans that didn't get to play with like two bells added. I'd prefer them to keep it as is and put more effort on things that are new. Like Persona 5. if anything the topic of conversation should be "Finally." or "About damn time" and leave it as such, not be complaining that they didn't tweek an old ass game.. cause it's old. XP

there's a difference between Persona 2 and SMB; SMB is still fun to play, Persona 2... isn't. I stopped on the fan translation right before going up a mountain because the game was so grindy and so slow.

Not really, I think SMB games are unfair and hard to the point of wanting to claw ones eyes out. But I wouldn't demand them to go and fix this old game because it's old. Same for persona 2, grindy and slow don't make a bad game, makes it a bit tedious yes considering what we get now is fast, fast, fast and now now now..

the game is old. You can't demand them fix it because it's old. It's OLD. You can't say it's a bad port when it is THE port, that is it. They never said they were going to fix anything. Just giving you a port of a game that never came.

So it's pretty much this: If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't complain that it's crap/ bad port cause they didn't fix issues of this 10 year old game (or older, how the fuck old is it?) saying that you played it (illegally anyway) and dissatisfied with something that you got for free. You got it for free, yay.. i'm sorry you don't like it/ didn't fix the issues but can you sit and expect them to do so when they could be spending MORE time on BETTER games like persona 5 and even new IP's.

To sum that all up: There is no logical point to do so. None.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mutha3
    @Catolf said:
    Not really, I think SMB games are unfair and hard to the point of wanting to claw ones eyes out. But I wouldn't demand them to go and fix this old game because it's old. Same for persona 2, grindy and slow don't make a bad game, makes it a bit tedious yes considering what we get now is fast, fast, fast and now now now..

the game is old. You can't demand them fix it because it's old. It's OLD. You can't say it's a bad port when it is THE port, that is it. They never said they were going to fix anything. Just giving you a port of a game that never came.

Yes you can. Plenty of competent  remakes fixed broken, poorly designed gameplay elements. Hell, P3P, is an example of a game that fixed a lot of stupid, poorly designed elements of P3(it introduced other problems, but that's beside the point).

So it's pretty much this: If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't complain that it's crap/ bad port cause they didn't fix issues of this 10 year old game (or older, how the fuck old is it?) 

Or I don't buy it and I tell what I think of it.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3: Your argument is using persona 3 which really wasn't that old. Think of an old ps1 game then a company that fixed the issues in how bad/buggy it was. Persona 2 is an old ass game, no you cannot expect them to fix it, it's old. Whats the point? And if they did sit down and fix the bugs people would complain that they were too busy on this old ass game instead of on persona 5 that people endlessly demand like a broken record.

There is no point in fixing the bugs. The game is old, the bugs/issues are a part of the game now. So don't say it's a bad port when it's the same damn game! It makes no logical sense.. at all like, seriously.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Fuck, antiquated design be damned, I'm interested in playing this largely from a historical perspective. 

My main concern is now with the price, seeing as the Persona remake was never released in Europe I'm not holding my breath on this bucking the trend. I suspect I will order it out of sheer paranoia of it quickly going out of print, much the same as I did with trails in the sky. 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Catolf
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Fuck, antiquated design be damned, I'm interested in playing this largely from a historical perspective.  My main concern is now with the price, seeing as the Persona remake was never released in Europe I'm not holding my breath on this bucking the trend. I suspect I will order it out of sheer paranoia of it quickly going out of print, much the same as I did with trails in the sky. 
    I wouldn't doubt it, thats more or less why i am picking this up quickly to avoid never seeing it again and if I do for like 80 dollars or something like that on ebay.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Catolf said:
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Fuck, antiquated design be damned, I'm interested in playing this largely from a historical perspective.  My main concern is now with the price, seeing as the Persona remake was never released in Europe I'm not holding my breath on this bucking the trend. I suspect I will order it out of sheer paranoia of it quickly going out of print, much the same as I did with trails in the sky. 
    I wouldn't doubt it, thats more or less why i am picking this up quickly to avoid never seeing it again and if I do for like 80 dollars or something like that on ebay.
    Yep, Its lamentable but I'd rather avoid the alternative.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

Well, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna buy it. I'm gonna play it. And if I like it, I'll keep playing it. But I am also fully aware that this is a PS1 game on a UMD.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Catolf
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    @Catolf said:
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Yep, Its lamentable but I'd rather avoid the alternative.
    Same here.
    Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By Cathryn

@Hailinel said:

Well, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna buy it. I'm gonna play it. And if I like it, I'll keep playing it. But I am also fully aware that this is a PS1 game on a UMD.

This <3

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

With the amount of games coming out at the moment I think I can hold off for the time being. Ghostlight has the duty of bringing this one over to the UK too, I'm happy enough with that as we still the soundtrack CD.

No Caption Provided
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I have it pre-ordered but I'm having second thoughts now :\

Ah well, I'll probably end up paying it for it anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.