Biggest Disappointment About the Game 40 Hours In

#1 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

The lack of S Links with your Party Members (and the ones that are there are locked behind stats).

I am really enjoying the game, it really is, unfortunately, a lesser P4 but it still has its own charm and quirks that are great, hitting on girls at the beach was pretty great. But the lack of S Links with ALL of your party members is just depressing. In P4, even though I didn't use him or her at least I got to have a connection with them, got to know them, advance their character arc (and a nice bonus in creating personas). In P3 I have my set team ( Yukari, Akihiko, Mitsuru) and since the other members don't scale they eventually become worthless in battle and since there is no S Link, they really are just cannon fodder for me. (Any tips on keeping a team balanced would be welcomed cause I do kinda hate being locked into the same 4 everytime)

Sure there are other nit picky things that bug me here or there but they don't bother me near as much as this one. I am enjoying it as I make my way slowly through it, story is ok, kinda have some ideas what might happen with characters but it is just a hunch at the moment (currently in mid-September). Really playing this game is getting me psyched up for P4G, any excuse to play P4 is good enough for me.

#2 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

You don't S. Link with the non-lady party members because they get their second Persona through the course of the story. Also why are you using Yukari. Don't use her.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@DonChipotle: ....got a crush on her, what's it to you? I don't know, my thought process is she is a Wind/Healer. I can't think of another party member that is more useful to replace her, they are also 10 levels back now so I basically dug my own grave.

#4 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (379 posts) -

I had the same team in my playthrough. It's no help to a FES player, but in the PSP version you can S Link with the other half of your team if you play as a girl.

It's been a while since I played either game, but the way I remember it Persona 3 had the better story. Persona 4 got overly ambitious with their story telling and the back half of the game got too convoluted. Persona 3 is way more simplistic by comparison, but it flows better, and that final boss battle is awesome. But like I said, it's been a while.

But, Persona 4 had fleshed out, memorable, and flat out better characters. It's the better game in all regards apart from narrative.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@Indiana_Jenkins: As of right now I'll disagree about the narrative, P4 was far more interesting and engaging to me at this point, but I'm guessing it has some great twists and story beats coming up. I'm also playing the P3P version, I just posted this in the FES forum because it is more active than the portable one.

#6 Posted by endaround (2136 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

The lack of S Links with your Party Members (and the ones that are there are locked behind stats).

I am really enjoying the game, it really is, unfortunately, a lesser P4 but it still has its own charm and quirks that are great, hitting on girls at the beach was pretty great. But the lack of S Links with ALL of your party members is just depressing. In P4, even though I didn't use him or her at least I got to have a connection with them, got to know them, advance their character arc (and a nice bonus in creating personas). In P3 I have my set team ( Yukari, Akihiko, Mitsuru) and since the other members don't scale they eventually become worthless in battle and since there is no S Link, they really are just cannon fodder for me. (Any tips on keeping a team balanced would be welcomed cause I do kinda hate being locked into the same 4 everytime)

Sure there are other nit picky things that bug me here or there but they don't bother me near as much as this one. I am enjoying it as I make my way slowly through it, story is ok, kinda have some ideas what might happen with characters but it is just a hunch at the moment (currently in mid-September). Really playing this game is getting me psyched up for P4G, any excuse to play P4 is good enough for me.

The experience earner is based upon level difference. So a few fights and low level characters will be close to your party level.

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

Well Persona 3 came first. P3P allows you to s-link with everyone as the female lead, and that came out after Persona 4.

The story definitely apexes around the last few months. All I can say is hang in there. I really love Persona 3.

#8 Posted by Narx (172 posts) -

Persona 3 still had some odd quicks that they fixed for the 4th installement.

A shame really, but I think they have learned a lot from this.

#9 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

Don't get the minmax mindset that hates Yukari(I saw that a bit on other forums back when I started playing it). The game's not so hard that using Yukari is somehow a detriment. Yes, enemies that are weak to wind aren't exactly abundant but I usually end up doing most of the damage anyway so really having her as a healer, Aigis as a buffer, and Mitsuru as second attacker is all I really need. Yes I use all the girls, don't judge me.

Anyway, in regards to keeping teams balanced the only real way is take extra time each Tartarus session and just force yourself to train the other guys. Other than that, I guess your could go back down to the main floor each time you hit a boss floor and switch out your two highest level characters for your two lowest levels if you really wanted to keep them "level". I feel like you'd get randomly leveled characters like that though. Personally, I just stuck with my above team but I can understand where you're coming from when you want to have the whole team available.

I liked both stories but I guess I'd have to lean a bit towards P3 personally, if only marginally. Part of that I suppose would be what you're ultimately fighting in P3 in comparison to what you fight in P4. I feel both have their strong points though.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@AndrewB: Oh I'm going to finish it, I am enjoying it and most of the characters are great, I just think that P4 built on what is great about the game and also worked around its weaknesses better. P3 is a great game but soiled by the fact that I'm just going to compare it to it's sequel the entire time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.