Going to start this for the first time... any last minute tips?

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

Like I don't want spoilers or anything but I bought this on PSN months ago when it released on PSN and I've just been sitting on it ever since. I've decided THIS is the day I've got 3 days off from work the new releases have dried up this is the perfect time to start. So just any general tips about the game that might make the experience optimal? This is my first persona game but I've heard so much about the series I figured i wanted to jump in.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

Don't worry so much about stuff.

#3 Posted by mwng (947 posts) -

Grind more than you think you need to.

and BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY.

#4 Posted by Bocam (3809 posts) -

Doesn't the PSN version have a save bug? You should watch out for that.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

@Bocam: Hmm.. ya know what I think I might have heard about that now that you say something. I think I'll re-download the game in hopes they updated it.

#6 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1719 posts) -

Alternate between at least two save slots, and always make sure it says "save successful" or whatever. Other than that, I agree you shouldn't worry so much about stuff (especially when fusing). It's not as daunting as it might seem.

#7 Posted by killacam (1286 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Bocam: Hmm.. ya know what I think I might have heard about that now that you say something. I think I'll re-download the game in hopes they updated it.

i'm about 40 hours in and have seen the save bug twice. all that happens is the save doesn't go through, and i thiiinnkk it says as much. you just have to be vigilant and make sure you see that "save successful" message, and of course keep multiple saves. incredible game though!

#8 Posted by smokeyd123 (332 posts) -

@mwng said:

Grind more than you think you need to.

and BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY.

Pretty much this.

Also, you're going to want to try to get the best scores on both exams. Trust me.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

@killacam said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Bocam: Hmm.. ya know what I think I might have heard about that now that you say something. I think I'll re-download the game in hopes they updated it.

i'm about 40 hours in and have seen the save bug twice. all that happens is the save doesn't go through, and i thiiinnkk it says as much. you just have to be vigilant and make sure you see that "save successful" message, and of course keep multiple saves. incredible game though!

Will do. =)

#10 Posted by Asky314159 (61 posts) -

The biggest difference from Persona 4 is that Persona 3 doesn't allow you to take direct control over your party members. The AI usually does a pretty decent job, so it's usually not a big deal. Other than that, there's not really anything to know. The dates you need to finish sections of the dungeon are made pretty explicit, and so are the choices you make that affect the ending.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

@Asky314159 said:

The dates you need to finish sections of the dungeon are made pretty explicit, and so are the choices you make that affect the ending.

Is that how it works? Because, playing through P3 again in the form of P3P, I'm not sure you're actually forced to go through any particular sections of Tartarus before the full moons, where you encounter bosses outside of it.

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

Play Persona 4 instead. Actually keep in mind that all party members act on their own and can not use items. The AI is good for the most part but sometimes they will do something stupid. Like Mitsuru and her love of marin karin. If the MC dies it is game over.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Hey, I'd like to but I don't have a PS2 or a Vita so unless they release it on PSN which... doubtful. Then I'm boned on that front.

#14 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Fire Junpei.

That is all.

#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

Remember that even though you have 3 ai partners, it's up to you to do most of the work.

The AI is good, but you have to make sure you do a lot of the healing/buffing too.

#16 Posted by L1GHTN1N (501 posts) -

Since you can't directly control your party members, make use of the tactics menu. At first you can't do much through it but the further in the game the more options open up, such as telling them to focus on healing, don't burn MP, only use MP if it hits their weakness and so on. I despised the system at first but ended up loving it. Typically I focus on the offense and have died many times in other RPGs because I decided I could wait that one extra turn to heal, in here often times I'd think "I can wait one turn to heal!", forget to change the tactics and be healed anyways saving my life.

Also it's much easier to get stuck being under-powered in here than in Persona 4 because of the rest system. After a certain amount of battles your party members will begin to get tired causing them to be less effective in battle. Since you can't just plow through all the dungeons in 1-2 trips like you can in P4, you need to go more often. It balances out however since you go into the dungeon at night instead of wasting the day. As a general goal try to make it to the top of the area before the full moon and make sure you can take out all of the enemies throughout without too much of an issue and you should be fine.

#17 Posted by mosespippy (4379 posts) -

I'm not sure if it's the same in FES but in P3P there is an item called Yawn B Gone that I find crucial. It upgrades your status from tired to good, so you can grind for longer or not need to go to sleep early on days after visiting tartarus.

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

Probably gonna get a Vita in a couple days...should I play this before P4G? Any reason to?

#19 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@mosespippy: That item does not exist in FES.

#20 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1194 posts) -

I'm at the end of P3P. Just grind and always try to get to the end of each Tartarus block as soon as you can without overexerting yourself. In shuffles always go for the green leaves (EXP boosts) or the gold coins for more yen because you get no money for completing battles.

Also to anyone who has beaten the game, I am in the last month of the game (early January) and I am level 77 with MC, Yukari, Mitsuru, and Akihiko and I have already reached the last floor or Tartarus. At what point can I safely stop grinding and try to cram some more S.Link stuff in there?

#21 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

@DystopiaX: Nah. It's a really good game, but not being able to control the entire party killed it for me. I bought FES when it first released, attempted to play it 3 times but always got annoyed when my party did something dumb and I lost a few hours of progress. Then stopped. Then played P4 when that came out and I'm not sure I could really go back, though I would like to.

#22 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I'm not sure if it's the same in FES but in P3P there is an item called Yawn B Gone that I find crucial. It upgrades your status from tired to good, so you can grind for longer or not need to go to sleep early on days after visiting tartarus.

FES does not have Yawn B Gone -- resting works differently in FES, so there's no need for it. In P3P, resting takes more time than it does in FES, so they gave you an out with the Yawn B Gone if you wanted to do that instead.

Tip: Don't fuss about things too much, just make sure you're always doing something to contribute to your stats or your S.links. If you've played Persona 4, you'll find the combat in P3 to be quite different. As many here have said, your AI partners can be equal parts useful and useless. I would recommend, once you get far enough through, to cover all of your elemental bases with your persona lineup: single and multi target for all elements, and a good mix of buffs/debuffs, and physical attacks. In P3, your protagonist is your primary spell caster/healer/buffer/debuffer, so making sure you have your magical bases covered will be useful.

#23 Posted by Immortal_Guy (127 posts) -

The biggest reccomendation I would make, and I'm sure some people would disagree with me, is play the game on "easy". I played on easy since I've heard that these Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty tough, and I didn't want to get 40 hours in and then get stuck - and I never regretted that decision. The game still put up a decent challenge, and it meant that I had to spend less of my virtual time grinding and had more days to do the S links, which wasn't a bad thing in my book.

I think that was a more important decision when playing 4 than 3, since I don't think doing the dungeon in 3 actually stops you from doing an S link on the same day, but I think the lower difficulty still improved my experience. And then when you're done you can always play "The answer", which is locked on "hard", and see what you've been missing...

#24 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1719 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

I'm at the end of P3P. Just grind and always try to get to the end of each Tartarus block as soon as you can without overexerting yourself. In shuffles always go for the green leaves (EXP boosts) or the gold coins for more yen because you get no money for completing battles.

Also to anyone who has beaten the game, I am in the last month of the game (early January) and I am level 77 with MC, Yukari, Mitsuru, and Akihiko and I have already reached the last floor or Tartarus. At what point can I safely stop grinding and try to cram some more S.Link stuff in there?

If it's like the PS2 versions, you can stop grinding at any point, because the last day locks you into Tartarus with infinite grinding time (no fatigue).

#25 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Immortal_Guy said:

The biggest reccomendation I would make, and I'm sure some people would disagree with me, is play the game on "easy". I played on easy since I've heard that these Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty tough, and I didn't want to get 40 hours in and then get stuck - and I never regretted that decision. The game still put up a decent challenge, and it meant that I had to spend less of my virtual time grinding and had more days to do the S links, which wasn't a bad thing in my book.

I think that was a more important decision when playing 4 than 3, since I don't think doing the dungeon in 3 actually stops you from doing an S link on the same day, but I think the lower difficulty still improved my experience. And then when you're done you can always play "The answer", which is locked on "hard", and see what you've been missing...

I have to agree with this. I've played both P3 and 4 on easy, simply for the 10 continues. A stray Mudo/Hama making me lose several hours of tedious grinding? I think not.

I never used them on bosses however, just for bullshit deaths was all.

#26 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1719 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@Immortal_Guy said:

The biggest reccomendation I would make, and I'm sure some people would disagree with me, is play the game on "easy". I played on easy since I've heard that these Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty tough, and I didn't want to get 40 hours in and then get stuck - and I never regretted that decision. The game still put up a decent challenge, and it meant that I had to spend less of my virtual time grinding and had more days to do the S links, which wasn't a bad thing in my book.

I think that was a more important decision when playing 4 than 3, since I don't think doing the dungeon in 3 actually stops you from doing an S link on the same day, but I think the lower difficulty still improved my experience. And then when you're done you can always play "The answer", which is locked on "hard", and see what you've been missing...

I have to agree with this. I've played both P3 and 4 on easy, simply for the 10 continues. A stray Mudo/Hama making me lose several hours of tedious grinding? I think not.

I never used them on bosses however, just for bullshit deaths was all.

While Mudo/Hama deaths are definitely bullshit, I hope you weren't actually going several hours without saving. That's just crazy talk.

#27 Posted by golguin (4013 posts) -

Buff and debuff. Get the mp drain ability ASAP.

#28 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

@Demoskinos: My only tip is that if you haven't played other Persona games or JRPG's maybe start with P4 instead, there would be no story reason not too and the you will probably like 3 more as a result.

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

The PSN version has a strange lighting bug that makes certain enemies illuminate into a white light and shine off and on again. The last dungeon is just a mess of light so keep that in mind.

#30 Edited by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -
  • During shuffle time almost always choose experience boosting green leaf cards when possible. Unless there's a persona you really want, I guess...
  • Ignore non angry red glowing enemies your first time through a floor and just find the steps to climb to the next floor and/or or treasure chests for stuff. Basic enemies give jack shit in xp in the game. I think in most cases you can just run right by them no prob.
  • Empty floors with a mid boss fight are the only ones you should teleport back to the entrance from while making your way up the floors your first time through. They come about every 5 floors at first. They have big teleporters that you can return to, unlike the small teleporters of regular floors.
  • I would suggest you probably do some grinding to start off. Those first mid boss fights are a bitch, if I recall.

So basically I would say a sound strategy when exploring Tarturus is to find the steps on floors as fast as possible while trying to avoid fights with regular purple enemies, until you get to a floor with a mid boss fight, use the teleporter to go to the entrance, save, fight the mid boss, if he kicks your ass go to a lower floor and do some grinding.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Asky314159 said:

The dates you need to finish sections of the dungeon are made pretty explicit, and so are the choices you make that affect the ending.

Is that how it works? Because, playing through P3 again in the form of P3P, I'm not sure you're actually forced to go through any particular sections of Tartarus before the full moons, where you encounter bosses outside of it.

I think you're right. But not beating those dungeon sections would leave you pretty underleveled for the full moons, I'd imagine.

#31 Posted by Asky314159 (61 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Asky314159 said:

The dates you need to finish sections of the dungeon are made pretty explicit, and so are the choices you make that affect the ending.

Is that how it works? Because, playing through P3 again in the form of P3P, I'm not sure you're actually forced to go through any particular sections of Tartarus before the full moons, where you encounter bosses outside of it.

I think you're right. But not beating those dungeon sections would leave you pretty underleveled for the full moons, I'd imagine.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You don't need to finish any of the Tartarus sections by the full moons, but you really should so that you're suitably leveled.

#32 Edited by xMrSunshine (364 posts) -

I've been playing FES lately and I don't get why you people are emphasising grinding so much. Every time a blockade disappears in Tartarus, I clear it to the next one in a day or two maybe one and a half. All the story bosses have been a breeze so far. I'm at the end of September and if I remember correctly the last Tartarus boss I beat was on the 133th floor and that's the last one I can get to right now. I'm level 51 now I think and I'm playing on normal. I almost wish I had to do more to get through the blocks in Tartarus.

Only thing you need to do to prepare for the bosses is to get to the blockade in Tartarus and that can be done in a day or two and that's it, no actual grinding required unless you're dumb and don't pay attention to the strengths and weaknesses of your personas/enemies and don't have a versatile set of personas. At the point where I'm at all the people around me in the game have been consistently bothering me how I should prepare for the worst and how there might be surprises coming so maybe I'm already fucked but I just don't know it. I doubt it though.

I always have a save about 3-5 days before the next boss fight so if I need to I can easily roll back if stuff goes bad, duke it out in Tartarus and still recover for the boss fight. I've never had to do that though, not even close.

Just play the game like you want and don't look up stuff or ask how you should play it. Only thing I use a guide for is the lesson and exam question answers because fuck that shit, a lot of the questions are clearly not made for people outside of Japan. Have a couple of backup saves and do social links. The game will constantly tell you to go to Tartarus and get to the next blockade so it's pretty obvious that you should do that since it's clearly meant as a way to compare yourself to the upcoming boss fight.

So basically don't be dumb, pay attention and play the game on its rules. That goes for any game really.

#33 Posted by Aegon (5769 posts) -

Just play it. It's not an especially punishing game. Social link with whoever you want.

#34 Posted by Humanity (9871 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Go with Yukari in the love hotel. That is all.

#35 Posted by Tophat666 (235 posts) -

As soon as you get Mitsuru, drop Yukari like a ton of bricks.

#36 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Remember that you can leave people at the entrance to Tarturus. One of the earlier bosses has a spell that Junpei is weak to and it's honestly easier just to leave him back at the beginning of Tarturus than use him in the fight. Also that boss is weak to Yukari's bow.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

I've tried to get this started like 3 times over the last couple of days and I can not for the life of me give any fucks about this game. I feel like I'm not giving it a proper chance but every time I've booted it up within 5 minutes I'm flicking it off in complete boredom.

#38 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

Play on easy and enjoy, because that game is a cakewalk on easy. Always save before fusing/dungeon crawling and keep multiple saves because there's a bug that may wipe your save otherwise. The social links in that game kinda suck and there's no real gameplay benefit except for the fusion upgrades, so yeah.

@mwng said:

and BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY.

#39 Posted by Undeadpool (4989 posts) -

@mwng said:

Grind more than you think you need to.

and BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY.

You forgot to warn about the dancers! And the trances thereof!!

#40 Posted by The_Great_Time_Muffin (30 posts) -

I'm about 10 hours into FES and my biggest problem with it is that I'm honestly having a hard time trying to give a damn about any of the characters. I actively dislike a few of them.

Absolutely loved P4 Golden, but man... these P3 characters just seem bad. I'll keep playing for a bit see if that changes.

#41 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Man, I loved P4 a lot, but P3 holds a special place in my heart. It's much more dark in style and tone than P4 - perhaps that's why some of you P4 fans are finding it so off-putting?

@Demoskinos: Just get through the opening 2 hours of "Click X To Proceed" and if it still doesn't hold your interest then, well, try to get a refund?

@The_Great_Time_Muffin: Have you gotten to the dog?

#42 Posted by The_Great_Time_Muffin (30 posts) -

@panvixyl: No dog yet.

#43 Posted by hollitz (1596 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I've tried to get this started like 3 times over the last couple of days and I can not for the life of me give any fucks about this game. I feel like I'm not giving it a proper chance but every time I've booted it up within 5 minutes I'm flicking it off in complete boredom.

@The_Great_Time_Muffin said:

I'm about 10 hours into FES and my biggest problem with it is that I'm honestly having a hard time trying to give a damn about any of the characters. I actively dislike a few of them.

Absolutely loved P4 Golden, but man... these P3 characters just seem bad. I'll keep playing for a bit see if that changes.

Yeah this game starts off fucking molasses slow. I'm about 40 hours in at this point and it's really started picking up. The opening does a poor job getting you to care about the SEES members, but I eventually even found myself kind of liking Junpei (even though he's a poor man's Yosuke). Things ramp up super slowly. Way too slowly. I'd say if you get to the end of the 3rd full moon mission (I *think* most of the main story players are on the board at that point) and you're still not vibing on it, it might be time to set it down. It was around that time that I got really invested.

#44 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@mwng said:

BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY.

OOOH YEAH!

...P3 FES is, at this moment in time, my favorite game ever.

#45 Posted by Chango (534 posts) -

Just started playing this as well. The hype surrounding P4 Golden makes me incredibly curious to play that game, but I can't bring myself to buy a Vita just for it. So instead I decided to buy P3 off the PSN store. I'm only 3 hours in so far, but I really like it. There's a lot of ramen!

#46 Posted by Beforet (2931 posts) -

At first opportunity, set everyone to target weakness or whatever it is. Not doing that will only result in MARINKARINMARINKARINMARINKARIN

#47 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

@Beforet said:

At first opportunity, set everyone to target weakness or whatever it is. Not doing that will only result in MARINKARINMARINKARINMARINKARIN

Makes me wonder how it took them so long to figure out that allowing you to have manual control was probably a good idea.

#48 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@Beforet said:

At first opportunity, set everyone to target weakness or whatever it is. Not doing that will only result in MARINKARINMARINKARINMARINKARIN

Makes me wonder how it took them so long to figure out that allowing you to have manual control was probably a good idea.

There was manual control in the first Persona game, though.

#49 Posted by Chango (534 posts) -

I have to say, that I'm not about 11 hours in and my enjoyment is starting to wear off. It also doesn't help that I'm watching videos of Persona 4: Golden and thinking how much I'd rather play that game when I'm playing 3.

#50 Edited by Zirilius (719 posts) -

@Asky314159 said:

The biggest difference from Persona 4 is that Persona 3 doesn't allow you to take direct control over your party members. The AI usually does a pretty decent job, so it's usually not a big deal. Other than that, there's not really anything to know. The dates you need to finish sections of the dungeon are made pretty explicit, and so are the choices you make that affect the ending.

This is the biggest reason why 4 is so much better than 3. I wiped on the final boss who had less than 10% health because my MC got afflicted by Rage and I could not change my tactics to cure me. Practically a 2 hour fight down the hole and I've never gone back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.