Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

I think I am not understanding how to play this game.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EightBitShik

So, I am level 10 now and I am on the second block and I am running around killing monsters and everything is going okay then I just get my ass handed to me strong monsters at random. Hell, I just died to monsters I have been destroying all night with a chain combo of "Weak" "stunned on the ground" "dead" (since it was the main character who took the blows).

I am not complaining about the difficulty I am just confused by it anyone have any suggestions on what I should be doing in this game? I try and do all the activities I can in a day I rest when I am tired/sick and I try to level up in the lower areas. Did I just progress to far?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Welcome to Persona 3.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

about the second - third block is where i bought a game shark because i just wanted to see the story, and right now i am at the part where:

that chick just got out of the hospital.

But I have been there since before Augest.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By beforet

With FES, getting fucked is basically luck on the enemies part. I know I get a sinking feeling of doom whenever my MC is knocked down. It sucks just watching your suddenly incompetent AI companions attacking the enemy while they steamroll you. Really makes you realize how much you carry your party.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Save when you can, and always be progressing. Even if you go to far, as long as you get to the next telepod you can always go back without losing progress.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Flappy

@Cloudenvy said:

Welcome to Persona 3.

This sums it up quite nicely. Like the most recent Persona titles, you're gonna want to exploit the enemies' weakness as much as you can. Since you restore SP anytime you head back to the entrance of Tatarus, feel free to do whatever it takes to kick ass. I believe Orpheus and Asparas have a healing combination spell that's useful for quite a while so you may want to look into that as well.

Long story short, be careful, save often, and try to keep a nice rotation of Personas. Good luck, duder.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vasta_narada

Honestly, it's been quite a while since I've played P3, but I'll try and give some general advice:

1. Try and keep track of the main elements that are being used against you for the general area. This will help you avoid getting your weakness exploited.
    2. If you could possibly manage the sneak attack, take it. Shadows will forget you exist if you go up a flight of stairs (not the floor-ending ones), so use that to your advantage.
    3. Persona 3 hates you. Sometimes you just have to roll with getting smoked a lot.

Also, there's a guide on Gamefaqs, written by misfit, that's pretty good.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turambar

It's a lot easier to get back attacks in Persona 3 compared to 4. It's possible to almost touch the shadow with your character sprite when approaching from behind, so take advantage of that.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Cathryn

@Vasta_Narada said:

Honestly, it's been quite a while since I've played P3, but I'll try and give some general advice:

1. Try and keep track of the main elements that are being used against you for the general area. This will help you avoid getting your weakness exploited

This is awesome advice -- with both Persona 3 and 4 it's always a good idea to keep at least some basic track of the weaknesses of the personas you have equipped. It's always good to keep in mind that when you are fighting an enemy that is weak to Ice, there's a good chance that enemy's main attack magic is fire and the persona you're using to fight them is probably weak against fire. Unfortunately, it's just one of those things about the game. The only thing you can really do is to keep your weaknesses in mind so they don't take you by surprise too much and save often. Sometimes you just get randomly jacked in Tartarus.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

You can always run past all enemies to get to the checkpoint, then head back to the previous one. This makes it way easier to justify using the escape portals to save your game.

Not so much advice for winning battles, but it'll prevent you from losing an hour of progress when cheapness happens.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Commisar123

Honestly, surivival in P3 is pretty heavily influenced by luck, sometimes they knock you down and fuck you up other times they don't. The key is to make sure you have the ebst persona's and that you are switching them out if they are weak to the element your enemy is using. Also try scanning a lot, because it will tell you what they will do.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By tourgen

yeah it's all about rolling up good elemental resist powers on your personas.  then switching them out to match up against the enemy type you are fighting.  that and grinding a few levels for the boss.

I thought the mandatory AI control on team mates was kind of cool.  The team AI incompetence made the otherwise boring and predictable fights a white-knuckled, teeth-gritting adrenaline ride.  Good times in that tower.  bummer the story was dumb.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EightBitShik

@Flappy: Yeah I have that fusion it's great. I am having an easier time right now because I got another person in my party so that helps. His status was "Great" though how do I get everyone to have that status? @rebgav: speaking of that.... do I have to manually pick support/heal per battle? I couldn't find it anywhere to have it set like that for every battle.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EightBitShik

That is another thing I guess I can stay in the tower longer now but I didn't realize I could go back down to floor one to save because when I did that before they wanted to go home because they got tired. So I guess as long as everyone is happy I can do that.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By pyromagnestir

Early on I remember feeling very underleveled, so I just grinded like crazy.

I only entered fights with player advantage. I tried to finish all fights with all out attacks or a last attack by the MC because that guarantees shuffle time which can offer the XP multiplying marijuana card. Always pick the highest value green leaf card when available from shuffle time. At some point I stopped fighting regular enemies and only fought the red glowy enemies and mid boss fights since they are the only enemies that give decent xp to keep my characters from getting tired or sick from too much fighting.

@EightBitShik: Only character you can get great status to is MC from resting instead of studying or listening to lectures, except for the shrine where it's a random chance thing but the shrine is worthless, it's better using that time for S-links

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Canteu

@pyromagnestir: after certain story events other characters can receive the "Great" status.

My tip, play it on easy. It's way better.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Canteu: Oh yeah. Heh.

But great status I don't think makes any difference on party characters, except that they can fight a little longer before becoming tired. And by little I mean it seemed to me they could get an extra 5 fights or something, not really very significant, but that is just what it seemed like I don't know for sure.

@EightBitShik: Also you shouldn't fight while tired, because being tired means you're more likely to be crit'd and you take more damage from attacks, plus you miss more frequently. It's best just to leave once characters start tiring.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EightBitShik

@pyromagnestir: Okay thanks for the information yeah as soon as someone got tired I got the hell out of there after the first time I tried to fight tired. Ugh I really wish there was a place to set "support/healing" grrrr.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By endaround

I think you can but I'm not sure how right now. Try talking to your party outside of battle in the halls (its also how you give them new armor and weapons and can get them to cast healing spells if you haven't got that yet). Also try pressing teh square button in teh hall to see what chocies you have.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By EthanML

Save often. Save often.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imsh_pl

I sooooo wanted to get into Persona 3 but having played Persona 4 beforehand the inferior battle system killed it for me :/

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

@imsh_pl said:

I sooooo wanted to get into Persona 3 but having played Persona 4 beforehand the inferior battle system killed it for me :/

If you've got a PSP then the P3P ought to solve most of the problems plus the bonus content is pretty cool.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Cloudenvy

@eroticfishcake said:

@imsh_pl said:

If you've got a PSP then the P3P ought to solve most of the problems plus the bonus content is pretty cool.

Sadly they removed all of the animated cutscenes.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EightBitShik

I just hears jeff say in the p4 er run to set the character on manual so you cam control what they do is that possible in 3? I don't see an option

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By NegativeCero

@EightBitShik: I'm pretty sure they added that for P4.

Also, buffs/debuffs are your friend in case you're ignoring them.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EightBitShik

Thanks and thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.