Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Is the Digital Version Region Locked?

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mustachio

I know that PS2 physical releases are region-locked, but I've been tempted to pick this up (I live in the UK) via an American account, but I'm worried that the digital release may also be region locked. Has anyone here had experience with digital PS2 games sold on the PS3 designed for other regions? I've searched everywhere for an answer but all I ever get is "maybe", and it would certainly be ideal to fishing out the old PS2 and getting a physical copy (if my PS2 is even in working order by this point).

joques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By joques
    @Mustachio
    Hi there. I also live in Europe (Norway) and I bought Persona 3 with an American PSN account. It works just fine; I played the first couple of hours today. You can even play it on your regular account, you just
    need the US account to buy and install it. Note that saved games don't transfer between your two accounts.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By obcdexter

Works fine for me, too. (I'm in Germany)

Did this a couple of times already - no problems whatsoever.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mustachio

Thanks guys, I've been searching everywhere for a straight answer like that. Well, time to get downloading!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Quipido

@Mustachio: @obcdexter: @joques: Hey guys, after I read this thread I decided to go ahead and create an US account to buy this game. I live in central EU and Persona games never came out here (on PSN). So after I connected to the USA store on my PS3, I found the game, put it in the basket and proceeded to the checkout only to find out I can not use my EU Mastercard with US account. Any idea how to get around that restriction? Only othe solution, which comes to my mind, is to buy a code for wallet funds, but I didn't find anything reasonable in my region and I am also not sure, if those funds are region-locked (on xbox they are specific to US/UK accounts).

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mustachio

@Quipido: I ran into the same issue as you. I believe I used Play Asia to buy A $20 USA PSN wallet gift card (not a physical copy, it was emailed) and since Persona 3 is $10, I bought God Hand too, while I was at it. So as long as you get a gift card that says it's for the USA, it'll work on that account. Hope this helps.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Petiew
    @Mustachio said:

@Quipido: I ran into the same issue as you. I believe I used Play Asia to buy A $20 USA PSN wallet gift card (not a physical copy, it was emailed) and since Persona 3 is $10, I bought God Hand too, while I was at it. So as long as you get a gift card that says it's for the USA, it'll work on that account. Hope this helps.

Yep this is the best way to go about it. Play-asia charge a bit extra for the cards so overall you're paying more but it isn't too bad. Make sure to choose the digital item if you go with play-asia and want it quickly.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quipido

@Mustachio: @Petiew: Thanks again, guys, you made it possible for me to play this games after all!

The play-asia gift card is insanely overpriced (28.90 USD), is there a reason not to buy from Amazon (19.99 UDS)?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi
    @Quipido You can straight up just buy a code from amazon which is the way to go. And there should be no problem with the American amazon account accepting EU cards.
    Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Petiew
    @Quipido: The "Important Note" box says it can only be purchased in the US but you might as well give it a try. You're right that Play-Asia is far too overpriced.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quipido

@Demoskinos: @Petiew:

Ok so I went ahead and placed an order on Amazon US. I logged in with my EU Amazon login (must be linked) and it said "No, son, this shit is for US only", so I changed my adress from Czech Republic to New York and that worked like a charm. Downloading Persona right now. It's nuts - I had to lie to Sony and Amazon just so they both accept my money.

Thanks again! Now I need to figure out what to do with those extra ten bucks.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quipido

I would like to add that I am a moron - took me a couple of hours to download the game on my "fake" account and ofcourse I forgot to switch profiles after that so now my I am plaing it on that account, I guess. 3 hours in. There are no trophies or anything but still. Also WTF, PSN? Over 3 hours to download 4,5 gigs?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mwng
    @Quipido: That's after braving the new PSN store too, Odin Sphere is only $5 at the moment(?) if you're looking to burn that extra dollar on more jrpg.

Also, watch out for the PSN P3 save bug!
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quipido

@mwng: Thanks for the heads-up on the bug. And you are right, the new store layout is terrible - I could get used to it, but the lag is just terrible, when I search - after ach letter it hangs for a second or two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.