Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Man FES your a mess!

leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By leftyhijack

So up until this point I have beaten P4 and P3. (Oh god over a 150 hours of hitting the X button) Up until that point of P4, I had never beaten a JRPG. I would lose focus or get frustrated at some point and throw my hands up into the air. Persona was different, it had a fantastic story at which I had to shut off my console at times because I would not leave, and then I would smell. The combat was also different in that it would reward you for playing smart. P4 was awesome, now I want some more. P3:FES is next and...ok I can't give my dudes commands.

Thats something you have to get used to going from P4 to P3. It really make you aprecciate the changes from P3 to P4 like Direct commands, the Square Button, iJust one inventory screen, etc. Also the combat was way more repetative and difficult which could be a bad thing. All in all it was still a great game with a darker story, and not as great characters as P4, they were really down all the time.

But Im here for FES. More Persona gameplay. Right off the bat, that sounds perfect. More story, excellent. Yes I would like to know what happen to Aigis and Friends. So Im very deep into the game, about 18 hours. And...its not good. Some might say, "Why did you play 18 hours worth then?" Because dammit the storyline looked very promising. Those intro movies really got me going. Just seeing Ken getting a table thrown at him was Awesome! Unfortunately the rest of the game wasn't like that.

First, lets take P3, together its a solid 80 hours of awesomeness. But When you remove the Story, Characters, Social Links, and school cycle, what do you have left? Combat. Now Granted all those things exept Social Links ARE in FES, but  the bulk of the game is running up to a shadow, shooting it in the goddamn forehead and then quickly going on the next on. Doing that for 25 floors for each door, it gets me to a point where I just rush the last few floors because I just want to beat it.

Im not saying the FES shouldn't exsit, Maybe if they had less combat and more story, I don't know. What I would like to see is Advent Children Style. Just make a long Anime Movie. That Beginning cut sceen was great, I would of like to see more of that. Well im off  to leveling up Metis because I nevered used her, I think its the developers way of saying "You don't like our new character? Well heres a Giant Middle Finger!

leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By leftyhijack

So up until this point I have beaten P4 and P3. (Oh god over a 150 hours of hitting the X button) Up until that point of P4, I had never beaten a JRPG. I would lose focus or get frustrated at some point and throw my hands up into the air. Persona was different, it had a fantastic story at which I had to shut off my console at times because I would not leave, and then I would smell. The combat was also different in that it would reward you for playing smart. P4 was awesome, now I want some more. P3:FES is next and...ok I can't give my dudes commands.

Thats something you have to get used to going from P4 to P3. It really make you aprecciate the changes from P3 to P4 like Direct commands, the Square Button, iJust one inventory screen, etc. Also the combat was way more repetative and difficult which could be a bad thing. All in all it was still a great game with a darker story, and not as great characters as P4, they were really down all the time.

But Im here for FES. More Persona gameplay. Right off the bat, that sounds perfect. More story, excellent. Yes I would like to know what happen to Aigis and Friends. So Im very deep into the game, about 18 hours. And...its not good. Some might say, "Why did you play 18 hours worth then?" Because dammit the storyline looked very promising. Those intro movies really got me going. Just seeing Ken getting a table thrown at him was Awesome! Unfortunately the rest of the game wasn't like that.

First, lets take P3, together its a solid 80 hours of awesomeness. But When you remove the Story, Characters, Social Links, and school cycle, what do you have left? Combat. Now Granted all those things exept Social Links ARE in FES, but  the bulk of the game is running up to a shadow, shooting it in the goddamn forehead and then quickly going on the next on. Doing that for 25 floors for each door, it gets me to a point where I just rush the last few floors because I just want to beat it.

Im not saying the FES shouldn't exsit, Maybe if they had less combat and more story, I don't know. What I would like to see is Advent Children Style. Just make a long Anime Movie. That Beginning cut sceen was great, I would of like to see more of that. Well im off  to leveling up Metis because I nevered used her, I think its the developers way of saying "You don't like our new character? Well heres a Giant Middle Finger!

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By LeadNinja

Persona is too long-form for it to be easily adapted to a movie without being much more shallow.  I would watch a 20+ episode series of 45min episodes though.

leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By leftyhijack

Well there was one, it was called persona trinity soul? I think? Anyway it was absolutely based off P3, people would say apathy syndrome, couple of the dudes were poppin pills, and there was some music of P3 in the background.

But beside that. I don't know, I would be better off  having a hour and a half or even less than that of a movie containing awesome cutscenes instead of 20+ hours of 
    gratuitous gameplay. Though you do have a point, it probably would be shallow. Though I would like to see a crack at it.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @leftyhijack said:
     First, lets take P3, together its a solid 80 hours of awesomeness. But When you remove the Story, Characters, Social Links, and school cycle, what do you have left? Combat. Now Granted all those things exept Social Links ARE in FES, but  the bulk of the game is running up to a shadow, shooting it in the goddamn forehead and then quickly going on the next on. Doing that for 25 floors for each door, it gets me to a point where I just rush the last few floors because I just want to beat it.Im not saying the FES shouldn't exsit, Maybe if they had less combat and more story, I don't know. What I would like to see is Advent Children Style. Just make a long Anime Movie. That Beginning cut sceen was great, I would of like to see more of that. Well im off  to leveling up Metis because I nevered used her, I think its the developers way of saying "You don't like our new character? Well heres a Giant Middle Finger! "
    So, the same as Persona 4 then?

Get over it, Persona 3 is  a terrific game.
    leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By leftyhijack
    @Fallen189:
    Well first off, Im talking about FES here not P3. P3 was still good, FES ehh whatever.

Second: You know what, YEAH! I would Like P4, more story less combat. P4 rocks every category against P3. Better story, better characters, better combat, Better UI, Just an overall improvement. The Social links were actually interesting instead of...dumb? Also it had a better pacing from day to day. In P3, when I maxed out all my stats and Night Social Links, I just go sleep. At least you can work and get money. P3 is still a great game but it doesn't compete.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

So your problem is The Answer? Well, you don't really have to play that. But if you've already played Persona 3... that's what you get. But you also get some enhancements to The Journey as well. Persona 3 FES is not just The Answer; it's The Journey and The Answer.
    But The Answer is the biggest new feature of P3 FES. And it's the aspect that I've always seen people criticize. It happens all the time, so I know what to expect. I'm not imagining an amazing new quest when I start The Answer, so I won't end up disappointed. I just loved playing Persona 3. In The Answer, that's pretty much all I'll be doing. I know that, and I'm fine with it.

Why are you bothering to level up Metis? Don't use her if you don't want to. That just makes it seem like you're purposely finding ways to make the game unenjoyable. If you don't like it, just stop. There's no point in continuing to play if you're not getting any enjoyment out of it.

leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By leftyhijack
    @LordAndrew: Well I really like the experience I had with P3 and I wanted to see what was with The Answer. And No I didn't use her, but at some point during "The Answer", you pair up with her AND ONLY her against LVL 77 Bosses (No spoilers). No way around it. While im 77, she was 28. That totally sucks. So YOU HAVE TO LEVEL HER UP!
    TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TyphoonSwell
    @leftyhijack: I like The Answer... I'd rather it not be so hard, but I figured it's worth it. And also, I don't think you can really say "P4 has a better story than P3". It's not so cut and dry, I think. It's different; different people, different enemies....  I liked P3's story, I also liked P4's.... You can't truly say one is better than the other. Well, you can, but it won't mean anything. And better characters?! They are just different! They were down all the time.....? Are you sure you played the game? Of course they were! Look at the stuff they went though. In P4, if I remember correctly...!!!!!!!********SPOILERS**********!!!!!!!! Nobody died. Well, nobody really important or close to the main characters. Your post is totally superfluous.... *Sigh* Think a little. You are the epitome of everything I mildly dislike.....
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok
    @LeadNinja said:
    " Persona is too long-form for it to be easily adapted to a movie without being much more shallow.  I would watch a 20+ episode series of 45min episodes though. "
    If we were to use standard, television broadcasted anime conventions then you would probably looking at 1 (or more) 24 episode season. Each episode weighs in at about 21 minutes with the commercials cut out.

That being said, I would not mind a Persona anime. However, anything live-action can go eat it's own ass.
    leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By leftyhijack

@TyphoonSwell said:
    " @leftyhijack: I like The Answer... I'd rather it not be so hard, but I figured it's worth it. And also, I don't think you can really say "P4 has a better story than P3". It's not so cut and dry, I think. It's different; different people, different enemies....  I liked P3's story, I also liked P4's.... You can't truly say one is better than the other. Well, you can, but it won't mean anything. And better characters?! They are just different! They were down all the time.....? Are you sure you played the game? Of course they were! Look at the stuff they went though. In P4, if I remember correctly...!!!!!!!********SPOILERS**********!!!!!!!! Nobody died. Well, nobody really important or close to the main characters. Your post is totally superfluous.... *Sigh* Think a little. You are the epitome of everything I mildly dislike..... "

You know, when I was playing through the game, I didn't really get the feeling that the characters were feeling, maybe thats what im trying to say. I just didn't care, even when....

MAD SPOILER(S)!!! (Skip next paragraph)

Shinji died. I was like "Okay"? I never really used that guy anyway. It was noble of him for sacrificing his life but all in all that feeling from the characters didn't pass onto me. Even when they heard from Ryoji that Nyx was coming down to bring then Fall, It was very obvious that we were going to stop the fall one way or another. While all the characters were all like "Ahh shit this sucks". You can't say that was very convincing towards the player. Maybe around the time where the chairman betrayed everybody (I kinda saw that coming), what were that characters fighting for at that point? That was an awesome feeling when the characters don't know and you don't know. Whats next, Strega? more big Shadows? At the time You didn't know. When all outside knowledge comes into play it ruins the experience. So that why developers need to make stories that keep you guessing instead of contradicting the players knowledge.

END SPOLIER(S)!!!!

And dude this is a blog post, this is text posted on the internet so people can look at it.  This was how I felt about the game while I was playing it. This is a way I can voice my opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, thats totally fine, not everybody has the same opinion. If you liked P3 more than P4, fine. I just didn't like the characters, you never really get attached to them. I would totally be bummed if kanji got shot, cause I like that character so much. But calling this post "superfluous" is like saying the forum post for which girl  is your favorite is not a waste of anybody's time (No offense to SmashedControllers).

And I would totally love to see a live action persona movie just so I can laugh at it.

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeadNinja
    @PureRok said:
    " @LeadNinja said:
    " Persona is too long-form for it to be easily adapted to a movie without being much more shallow.  I would watch a 20+ episode series of 45min episodes though. "
    If we were to use standard, television broadcasted anime conventions then you would probably looking at 1 (or more) 24 episode season. Each episode weighs in at about 21 minutes with the commercials cut out.That being said, I would not mind a Persona anime. However, anything live-action can go eat it's own ass. "
    I'm just thinking that my favourite bit is the Social Linking.  For me there would have to be room for that, so something less focussed but longer could be great.

Hell, if it was written and voiced well, I'd listen to a Persona radio drama.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

I loved P3 "The Journey" and count it among my favorites of all time, but I detest "The Answer" and stopped playing it after the first save point.  You don't have to play it and so I chose not to since it certainly would have colored my fond memories of P3 proper. 

As far as time lines go, I believe P3 is first, then two years later is P4 and Persona: Trinity Soul is 10 years after P3 or eight following P4.  I'm not sure where the earlier games fit in.

leftyhijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By leftyhijack
    @PenguinDust: You know it kinda added closure but really the ending of FES was really main reason why they (The Characters) were doing this extravagant journey. Now that I think about, The ending of FES really could of been pasted on the end of the first game, there really wasn't a need for all these shinaningins.

yes P3's timeline was 2009-2010 and P4 timeline was 2011-2012, you are correct on that one. Trinity Soul...Hmmmm...I wanna say its right after or a little after the events of P3 because though there still persona users running around, I far I know (Or as watched) No signs of shadows as well. (Again im not that far).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust
    @leftyhijack:  One of these days, I may just watch the end of FES on Youtube, or maybe I'll be so bored that I'll take it up again from my one save point.  I know a little about the story since I was trying to figure out if I should continue initially.  As I stated, my findings made me decide against proceeding.  Instead I played some other games and then started P4.

I have a Trinity Soul fandub, but haven't gotten around to watching the series yet.  I only suggested the 10 year mark because that's when the Anime News Network says the series takes place...

Plot Summary:The stage is Ayanagi City, a city near the Japan Sea. It is a futuristic city that was built to carry out the recovery from the calamity caused by the "Apathy Syndrome" ten years previous. High school student Shin Kanzato with his little brother Jun, meet with their elder brother Ryō, who is the chief of the Ayanagi City Police, again after ten years. At that time, a series of strange incidents happen in Ayanagi City such as the crew of a submarine that suddenly disappears while in their submarine, or a spiritless symptom which disturbs the world after ten years, or the case of the inside out corpse where a student took on a cruel appearance. Ryō tracks down the organization behind the string of incidents, and having become involved in the incidents, Shin awakens the "Persona".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.