My PS3 can't find/erased my save, an issue for anyone else?

#1 Posted by Rokkaku (223 posts) -

Just wondered if this is an issue or just my system. Data for the game still shows up in the PS2 memory card section, but the game comes up with absolutely nothing, meaning I shall have to begin again, boo (luckily, I was only 2 hours in). Has anyone else experienced this or know Atlas is aware of a problem? Also, would keeping multiple save files work, because it may not be able to find any of them, and I don't want to get 30 hours in for it all to vanish again.

#2 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

If you're referring to the PSN version of FES that was just released, I don't believe it or any other PS2 game from PSN can read save data from your hard drive in the way that PS1 games downloaded from PSN can. As an example, I had an old save file for Odin Sphere, however the copy I purchased from PSN is unable to see any of those saves, relying on it's own "fake" memory card in the same way that PS1 games on a PSP save games.

#3 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -

I've been playing the game for a few hours. Hopefully there isn't actually a glitch in the PSN version that deletes saves. I may not play the game ever again if that ever happens to me. :/

#4 Posted by Bigheart711 (1240 posts) -

I saved the game on two slots, and neither of them were deleted, thankfully. Mabye the glitch happened because the OP didn't turn the system off properly...

#5 Posted by Spursfan20 (38 posts) -

I'm about 10 hours in and this happened to me twice but I caught it both times. I also keep 2 saves just in case. The first time it happened when I tried to save the game it asked if I wanted to overwrite my previous save, I said yes but the following screen I got said could not find a memory card then save failed and it didn't erase the save I was overwriting. the second time I did it same thing happened but it erased the save I was overwriting. The good thing is I noticed it both times and didn't loose any progress. For both times I just had to save it again and it worked but it can be easy to miss because the save failed screens are very similar to the save successful screens.

#6 Posted by Korosuzo (177 posts) -

Happened to me too. Had to create a fake ps2 memory card partition which I had never done before and assign it to a memory slot (also fake) 1 or 2. Next time I started over it let me save just fine. Wish they would let you know about that ahead do time but luckily I was only about an hour in.

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Have they fixed this issue? I just bought it but am worried about starting it up.

#8 Posted by BaconBits (58 posts) -

It happened to me a couple of times ( and i was 30 hrs in), it would say "saved failed" when saving and then it'll straight up erase the data. It's doesn't happen often, but just remember to check your save before you turn it off.

#9 Posted by JBG4 (439 posts) -

I am also curious, I have never played this game and would get it on PSN if I knew the save issue was fixed. Does anyone have any clue if it is still messed up or if there is a sufficient work-around for the problem?

#10 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

If the game says "save failed" just save again and PRESTO, no lost data. I think of it as a "are you paying attention" mini game.

#11 Posted by JBG4 (439 posts) -

@Atramentous: thanks man, I was holding off buying it until I found this out. I appreciate the help mate.

#12 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

@JBG4: No prob, same thing used to happen with many games on the PS2 when you used third party memory cards. If anything its probably not the port thats the issue, but the memory card emulation of the PS3.

#13 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1745 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

@JBG4: No prob, same thing used to happen with many games on the PS2 when you used third party memory cards. If anything its probably not the port thats the issue, but the memory card emulation of the PS3.

I think you're right, but the port definitely has its own issues.

#14 Posted by JBG4 (439 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda: might I ask what are some of the issues that the port itself has, I haven't bought it yet but I probably will soon... is it a worthwhile port and purchase?

#15 Posted by Hunter5024 (5981 posts) -

I was about 40 hours into Persona 3 (not FES) when I got a gameover. When I went to load my save to see how much progress I had lost my file was not there, as if it never had been there to begin with. It took me days to accept that it was gone forever. I tell this story on halloween.

#16 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1745 posts) -

@JBG4 said:

@SpunkyHePanda: might I ask what are some of the issues that the port itself has, I haven't bought it yet but I probably will soon... is it a worthwhile port and purchase?

I've only personally experienced a weird flickering with some of the enemies and textures in the game. It's nothing too bad, and it's not that common. I've heard complaints of the game locking up though (I've played maybe 10 hours, and haven't experienced it.) And apparently at one point in the story, the game will just freeze for several minutes before continuing. It really just shows how little effort they put into this.

But I think it's absolutely still worth $10. Just keep multiple saves.

#17 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

@JBG4: @SpunkyHePanda: The lock up issue has happened twice so far, but its not really a lock up. More of an extended loading screen. Im about 60 hours in and I agree that the game is worth the money and isn't broken in any way that would prevent you from playing it and enjoying it.

The save thing is kind of a big deal but again, if you actually look at the screen when you are saving instead of buttoning through it like you have ADHD then you wont lose your saves.

#18 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

I noticed it happening a couple times while I was playing. I would get a "Save Failed" or I would go back to save and noticed that a slot where a save had previously existed was now missing. Quite unnerving.

So, I always save in two slots now every time I save.

#19 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

Yup, just happened to me now. I was at almost 60 hours in and on the last month... Had no idea this happens and probably didn't notice the "save failed" message and assumed it saved as usual. Doesn't help that I was half asleep when I saved/quit. I emailed Sony explaining what happened and that it's unfair there was no disclaimer regarding this KNOWN issue. I expect a refund as some others have managed to be offered one if after some nonsense troubleshooting steps have been attempted.

#20 Posted by Cootsnoop (43 posts) -

@PKHilson: So what happened with Sony?

#21 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

I noticed it happening a couple times while I was playing. I would get a "Save Failed" or I would go back to save and noticed that a slot where a save had previously existed was now missing. Quite unnerving.

Yeah. I keep four saves just in case.

#22 Posted by MormonWarrior (2668 posts) -

Um yeah just the other night it was not letting me save at all after an hour of grinding in Tartarus and...it won't find my save file at all. I'm going to try a few things but I'm afraid it might just be gone. GAAAAAHHHHH

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.