Persona 3 FES Endurance Run (Part 21)

Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

Hello everyone! While I have certainly been distracted lately because I'm writing a freaking novel guys I still managed to play a couple hours of Persona 3 FES yesterday, and now I am going to write about it! Yeah introductions!

So, normally I'd begin by talking a bit about all the terrible things that happened today while we were fighting, and how we've wasted all our time on some useless boss that was really easy. Today, that is not the case! We loaded up our save with our guy in Tartarus, and didn't quite remember why we were there. I then got curious about why we were fighting our third mid-boss in a row, so I checked to see when the deadline was for us beating this block. Turns out, we actually had two months to beat this block instead of the normal one month! So, it's near the end of November, and we have the whole of December to beat it as well! I don't really think we have that much left either, so I think December might be a pretty okay month compared to this one. Anyways, because of this, we decided that it would be best to spend this session just S. Linking instead of our normal boring fighting routine.

We only got a few done before a wrench was thrown right into that idea. We hung out with Dying Guy, and he's still pretty broken up about the fact that he's dying. Then we hung out with Chihiro (the shy girl) and we went to buy a book. She got all sad because the books she wanted were like eighteen thousand yens and all she had was 5 000. For some reason, the game refused to let us give her any of our one million yen to help her out. What a dick. We also hung out with the Rival Athlete man, and he's going fucking nuts because nobody on his team takes kendo as seriously as he does. It was about then that we realized we hadn't been to a Kendo practice for about four or five months because we hate the S. Link guy for it so much. Come to think of it, we haven't been to the music club in a while either, and I actually don't mind Keisuke that much. Maybe we should think about hanging out with him more often.

Anyways, the real reason we couldn't hang out with many people is because story happened. Normally, story waits until the full moon to come around, but this time it interrupted us ten days early, as Fuuka was randomly scanning one night and found out that Chidori had left the hospital. Then, she nonchalantly mentioned that the other two members of Strega might be there too. You know, the guys who jumped off a bridge in Part 16I thought the fact that they were dead might stop them from bothering us again. Junpei was worried about Chidori (because he still totally loves her) even though the last time he went to talk to her at the hospital she just said, "Fuck you. Go away." Now, this is the third boss battle in this game where we haven't been able to use Junpei. That's a third of the big boss battles we've had in this entire game! It's a damn good thing he's only level 17, or we might be kind of angry about not being able to use him so much. I mean, how can you go through the whole game using Junpei and not be kind of pissed off by this?

Anyways, we went down to where Chidori was (right in front of Tartarus, apparently) to calm her down, or fight her, or whatever we wanted to do. Junpei was trying to talk her out of her sadness, but to not much avail. So, we had to fight her. Since she is just one human (and as we've already covered, killing two humans is pretty easy) she was really easy to beat. We have four people who are all attacking her, and she can only attack one of us at a time, and for not much damage. Maybe it would have been harder if we hadn't unnecessarily ground so much the previous month. We assumed based on the simplicity of this fight, there would be another one right after. We were wrong. Hey, it's not the first time.

Speaking of being wrong, I had assumed that Chidori didn't give a shit about Junpei this whole time, and he was just stalking her and being annoying. But, it turns out she actually loved him as well (even though she never seemed to give a shit about what he was saying, and also locked him in a dungeon at some point), but was afraid to let herself get attached. She said that she doesn't fear death, she only fears losing something she loves. Well, that's really too bad for you, Chidori, because Junpei is about to get shot! Wait, spoilers.

It was at this point that the other two members of Strega appeared! It turns out they reallydid live jumping off bridges constantly, because they're pretty damn good at surviving it! Takaya (no shirt man) was all like, "We don't even give a shit about Chidori," and we were all like "Okay!" Then he totally shot Junpei in the chest, and we were all like, "OH SHIIIIIT". Two party members die in this game! That is really messed up, especially if you were someone who leveled up Junpei since the start! I mean, with Shinji, he wasn't around very long, but this was quite fucked!

It's not actually though, because he doesn't die! The game changes to a weird dream sequence inside Junpei's head, where Chidori is telling him to not die so hard. It turns out she has the ability to bring people back from the dead (actually, so do we, it's called Recarm) and used it on Junpei to keep him alive. Unfortunately, this took away all her health, and by that I mean she totally died. So, I guess the fact that she feared losing something more than she feared death made a lot of sense in the end! But, by me mentioning Recarm just then, it brings up the classic JRPG conundrum of why we couldn't have just used Recarm on Shinji when he died to keep him alive. Maybe Takaya's bullets are just a lot stronger than regular-ass shadow attacks.

Anyways, because Chidori is now dead, Junpei gets real sad. And by sad, I mean angry. His persona evolves right there and then, and he just straight-up uses Agi on Jin! Takaya gets pissed about that, and goes to shoot Junpei again (which would have made Chidori's death quite ironic) but Jin stops him. Apparently, we're not even good enough to waste a bullet on, and Takaya should just focus on the "master plan". At least, that's what Jin told Takaya. So, I guess we're going to have to stop their "master plan" at the end of the game, and all will be well. Wait, where's the Chairman been this whole time? Oh yeah, he's dead.

Speaking of the chairman, how come he died from falling off Tartarus? If these guys can survive a fall off a bridge, how come he can't even survive a fall off a building? Oh wait, it's because he was totally shot as well. Well, never mind that paragraph then. Sorry.

We got back to the dorm to find that while rummaging through all of Chidori's stuff, they found her sketchbook, and wanted to give it to Junpei. Junpei started looking at it and started crying. Then:

Yukari: What's the drawing of?
Junpei: Waaah, you wouldn't understand.
Yukari looks at it: That's just a portrait of you.

I don't know what the heck that was about, but then Junpei started crying even more and Akihiko was all like, "Hey buddy, shut the fuck up". And then everyone was actually happy again! I actually don't remember what happened, but the cut-scene endedat that point. Now, here's my question: How come in that half-hour to forty-five minute chunk of cut-scene, there wasn't a single anime-style bit? Not that I particularly like them, they're usually stupidly short, and inconsistently drawn when compared tothe regular portraits, but the game usually loves to bust them out, especially when people die. I mean, one time they had a whole one just to show Yukari in the shower! Actually, that one was probably my favourite, to be honest.

We had the next day off because it was labour day (it's pretty coincidental that holidays also immediately follow big events like this). At the end of the day, the game popped up a message telling us that the next four days were "Work Experience" days at school, and we were going to lift boxes. Then, it skipped four days on the calendar, and popped up another message saying "Way to go, you totally lifted some sick boxes". I'm guessing they just wanted to waste some days so everyone could immediately mention how Junpei had been pretty broken up for a while. It was annoying though because we could have spent that time S. Linking.

And that's where we stopped. 64 hours in, at the end of November as I write this. Umm, goodbye everyone!    

#1 Edited by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

Hello everyone! While I have certainly been distracted lately because I'm writing a freaking novel guys I still managed to play a couple hours of Persona 3 FES yesterday, and now I am going to write about it! Yeah introductions!

So, normally I'd begin by talking a bit about all the terrible things that happened today while we were fighting, and how we've wasted all our time on some useless boss that was really easy. Today, that is not the case! We loaded up our save with our guy in Tartarus, and didn't quite remember why we were there. I then got curious about why we were fighting our third mid-boss in a row, so I checked to see when the deadline was for us beating this block. Turns out, we actually had two months to beat this block instead of the normal one month! So, it's near the end of November, and we have the whole of December to beat it as well! I don't really think we have that much left either, so I think December might be a pretty okay month compared to this one. Anyways, because of this, we decided that it would be best to spend this session just S. Linking instead of our normal boring fighting routine.

We only got a few done before a wrench was thrown right into that idea. We hung out with Dying Guy, and he's still pretty broken up about the fact that he's dying. Then we hung out with Chihiro (the shy girl) and we went to buy a book. She got all sad because the books she wanted were like eighteen thousand yens and all she had was 5 000. For some reason, the game refused to let us give her any of our one million yen to help her out. What a dick. We also hung out with the Rival Athlete man, and he's going fucking nuts because nobody on his team takes kendo as seriously as he does. It was about then that we realized we hadn't been to a Kendo practice for about four or five months because we hate the S. Link guy for it so much. Come to think of it, we haven't been to the music club in a while either, and I actually don't mind Keisuke that much. Maybe we should think about hanging out with him more often.

Anyways, the real reason we couldn't hang out with many people is because story happened. Normally, story waits until the full moon to come around, but this time it interrupted us ten days early, as Fuuka was randomly scanning one night and found out that Chidori had left the hospital. Then, she nonchalantly mentioned that the other two members of Strega might be there too. You know, the guys who jumped off a bridge in Part 16I thought the fact that they were dead might stop them from bothering us again. Junpei was worried about Chidori (because he still totally loves her) even though the last time he went to talk to her at the hospital she just said, "Fuck you. Go away." Now, this is the third boss battle in this game where we haven't been able to use Junpei. That's a third of the big boss battles we've had in this entire game! It's a damn good thing he's only level 17, or we might be kind of angry about not being able to use him so much. I mean, how can you go through the whole game using Junpei and not be kind of pissed off by this?

Anyways, we went down to where Chidori was (right in front of Tartarus, apparently) to calm her down, or fight her, or whatever we wanted to do. Junpei was trying to talk her out of her sadness, but to not much avail. So, we had to fight her. Since she is just one human (and as we've already covered, killing two humans is pretty easy) she was really easy to beat. We have four people who are all attacking her, and she can only attack one of us at a time, and for not much damage. Maybe it would have been harder if we hadn't unnecessarily ground so much the previous month. We assumed based on the simplicity of this fight, there would be another one right after. We were wrong. Hey, it's not the first time.

Speaking of being wrong, I had assumed that Chidori didn't give a shit about Junpei this whole time, and he was just stalking her and being annoying. But, it turns out she actually loved him as well (even though she never seemed to give a shit about what he was saying, and also locked him in a dungeon at some point), but was afraid to let herself get attached. She said that she doesn't fear death, she only fears losing something she loves. Well, that's really too bad for you, Chidori, because Junpei is about to get shot! Wait, spoilers.

It was at this point that the other two members of Strega appeared! It turns out they reallydid live jumping off bridges constantly, because they're pretty damn good at surviving it! Takaya (no shirt man) was all like, "We don't even give a shit about Chidori," and we were all like "Okay!" Then he totally shot Junpei in the chest, and we were all like, "OH SHIIIIIT". Two party members die in this game! That is really messed up, especially if you were someone who leveled up Junpei since the start! I mean, with Shinji, he wasn't around very long, but this was quite fucked!

It's not actually though, because he doesn't die! The game changes to a weird dream sequence inside Junpei's head, where Chidori is telling him to not die so hard. It turns out she has the ability to bring people back from the dead (actually, so do we, it's called Recarm) and used it on Junpei to keep him alive. Unfortunately, this took away all her health, and by that I mean she totally died. So, I guess the fact that she feared losing something more than she feared death made a lot of sense in the end! But, by me mentioning Recarm just then, it brings up the classic JRPG conundrum of why we couldn't have just used Recarm on Shinji when he died to keep him alive. Maybe Takaya's bullets are just a lot stronger than regular-ass shadow attacks.

Anyways, because Chidori is now dead, Junpei gets real sad. And by sad, I mean angry. His persona evolves right there and then, and he just straight-up uses Agi on Jin! Takaya gets pissed about that, and goes to shoot Junpei again (which would have made Chidori's death quite ironic) but Jin stops him. Apparently, we're not even good enough to waste a bullet on, and Takaya should just focus on the "master plan". At least, that's what Jin told Takaya. So, I guess we're going to have to stop their "master plan" at the end of the game, and all will be well. Wait, where's the Chairman been this whole time? Oh yeah, he's dead.

Speaking of the chairman, how come he died from falling off Tartarus? If these guys can survive a fall off a bridge, how come he can't even survive a fall off a building? Oh wait, it's because he was totally shot as well. Well, never mind that paragraph then. Sorry.

We got back to the dorm to find that while rummaging through all of Chidori's stuff, they found her sketchbook, and wanted to give it to Junpei. Junpei started looking at it and started crying. Then:

Yukari: What's the drawing of?
Junpei: Waaah, you wouldn't understand.
Yukari looks at it: That's just a portrait of you.

I don't know what the heck that was about, but then Junpei started crying even more and Akihiko was all like, "Hey buddy, shut the fuck up". And then everyone was actually happy again! I actually don't remember what happened, but the cut-scene endedat that point. Now, here's my question: How come in that half-hour to forty-five minute chunk of cut-scene, there wasn't a single anime-style bit? Not that I particularly like them, they're usually stupidly short, and inconsistently drawn when compared tothe regular portraits, but the game usually loves to bust them out, especially when people die. I mean, one time they had a whole one just to show Yukari in the shower! Actually, that one was probably my favourite, to be honest.

We had the next day off because it was labour day (it's pretty coincidental that holidays also immediately follow big events like this). At the end of the day, the game popped up a message telling us that the next four days were "Work Experience" days at school, and we were going to lift boxes. Then, it skipped four days on the calendar, and popped up another message saying "Way to go, you totally lifted some sick boxes". I'm guessing they just wanted to waste some days so everyone could immediately mention how Junpei had been pretty broken up for a while. It was annoying though because we could have spent that time S. Linking.

And that's where we stopped. 64 hours in, at the end of November as I write this. Umm, goodbye everyone!    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.