Persona 3 FES Endurance Run (Part 26-28)

Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -

I'm going to start off this update by admitting that it actually previously had a different intro here, but since the time between me starting this update and me finishing this update was over two weeks, the old intro is no longer relevant or sensible. All that needs to be said really is that I have not written anything about Persona 3 FES recently, but we have played some. The only excuse I can think of is that Christmas happened, but we played all three sessions covered in this update long enough before Christmas that I could have written about them a lot sooner. Anyways, the only actual reason is that I am lazy and would rather sit around watching anime then write articles for this site. But this is not about my skill in procrastination, this is about PERSONA 3 F-ING FES! Let's go!

That lead-up was quite misleading, because the first thing I want to talk about is how much the music in this game has started to depress me. Gone are the pop-inspired tracks with nonsensical English and catchy riffs; now all that's left are slow, dramatic piano tracks based off my favourite song from the game's soundtrack, 君の記憶 (Kimi No Kioku). As you can tell from that link, the original song is not that depressing, but the game just takes bits from that and slows them down in an effort to make everything feel a lot sadder. It makes sense, I mean, the world is going to end. But, I still miss hearing the fantastic and joyous tracks that accompanied the first half of the game.

So, since it's been about seven hours of game time since I last updated, there's a lot of S. Links to go through! First, Mamoru, the least interesting one. Now, this may only be because this actually happened a month ago, but I don't remember at all what happened with Mamoru. I'm guessing his mom is still in the hospital (I thought she was dead) and he's protecting his family. And guess what, Mamoru is actually Japanese for "to protect", so that totally makes sense! I love wordplay. I also know for a fact that we got to Rank 9 with him, but after that he kind of disappeared and we haven't seen him since. I don't like it when people do that.

Speaking of disappearing, we got to Rank 10 with Dying Guy! We went to him one last time and he told us the final ending to his story. At the end, the crocodile gets so depressed about eating his buddy that he cries himself a sizable pond in the middle of the jungle and proceeds to drown in it. But it's a happy ending because all the other animals drink from his tear pond (that's not healthy) and live happily ever after! The message is that you can help people even when you don't know it! After providing us with that, Dying Guy decided that now is a good time to disappear, so he disappeared. For some reason, that made sense at the time, so I'm okay with it.

Man, I just realized that I never actually took the time to figure out Dying Guy's name. At the beginning he was just Stoner Man, and then he became Dying Guy. I bet he had a really cool name, like Mikado or Tomoya.

Speaking of not knowing people's names, we hung out with the Old Couple some more! They own a bookstore, and their son is totally dead. They're old and that's cool, but what's cooler is the boy who walked into the store and broke the reality of the whole game. Okay, maybe the reality was kind of shattered with the whole Persona and Shadow thing, but this one boy contradicted everything about the location and existence of this whole city. So, here's how it went down. This kid walked in and said, "Hajimemashite! Nice to meet you!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you unaware, "Hajimemashite" is Japanese and translates to "Nice to meet you". SO HE IS BASICALLY JUST SAYING NICE TO MEET YOU TWICE. Here's the problem: This game is very obviously set in Japan, but it bends the reality by making everyone speak English as an obvious conceit to help people here in the West play the game. I understand this, and it has to be done. We are lead to assume that everything here is actually being said in Japanese, but then is being translated to English just for us. So when someone walks in and talks in Japanese it breaks my mind. It's like he's speaking in Japanese twice! It's like this whole thing is some sort of play where people are acting like they are English but he walked in and got confused and said the wrong thing! I am very curious what he says in the Japanese version of the game. For full disclosure, I'd like to say that I understand that this is some sort of joke, and don't hold it against the game, but maaaaan it was nuts when it happened. I was all like, "MAN THAT IS NUTS BRO". The same thing happens in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood also but in those games they actually have some way of explaining it.

We also finally got to hang out with Aigis, which is cool because she is a pretty-looking robot lady with a sexy robot voice. Does that sound creepy? I hope not. Anyways, we were walking around the mall when we met this lady who had lost her cat. Aigis decided that she really wanted to help this lady find her lost cat and we went on a 3-S.Rank-long expedition to find it. Eventually, we found it, and it turned out it was the same cat we had been feeding for the Elizabeth request before. Except when we fed it before, it had become fat, but when we found it during the S.Link it had become slim again. Retcon! Anyways, I like this S.Link because it was specifically made for FES (due to popular demand) so they actually had some time to work on it and make it cooler than the others due to new camera angles and such. I mean, with Dying Guy, we just sat on a bench in the same position the whole time. I'm looking forward to S.Linking with Aigis more, which we will get to do since she's only Rank 5.

We also hung out with Chihiro, who finally realized that maybe talking to a teacher about the stolen money would be a good idea. Y'know, for a chick who's really only hot because she has glasses, she's not very smart. We also hung out with Drunk Monk, and he got so shit-faced that he thought we were his son and started saying weird things to us. The next time he was less drunk, and decided to hire a private investigator in order to find his wife and son (I guess they ran away). Also at some point he became rich because he has enough money to do that even though he doesn't have a job and goes to a club and drinks alone every night. (Well, not anymore since we came, but there are still some nights where we don't show up and I assume he continues to drink on those nights, all alone.)

Also, we have decided that in order to get to Rank 10 with the largest amount of characters we have started abandoning the least interesting/lowest level S.Ranks we have. Basically, this just means that we probably won't ever be hanging out with Fuuka or Mitsuru anymore, but hey, there's always Playthrough Two (which I won't write about because I've realized that this is so much more work than I can handle). I'd also like to point out that we still have not been given the chance to S.Link with Junpei, Akihiko, and Ken. That's probably because they are not ladies and therefore can not be boned (because we don't swing that way).

Now, in order to transition between talking about S.Links and talking about fighting, I'm going to talk about this thing that I'm going to talk about! That thing is our new Nyx Annihilation Team S.Link that we have already managed to max out. You might remember it as the one that we got to rank 5 in about an hour. Well, in another hour we beat the rest of the bosses and maxed that S.Link! Now, it's the 12th of January, and we had until the 31st to beat the bosses. So, we have 19 days of not doing anything! Everyone keeps asking us to go to Tartarus, but we only had to go twice to do everything we needed to do. We have gone a couple of extra times just to grind (because I'm really worried this final boss will be way too strong for us).

Speaking of fighting, Aigis now has a sniper rifle to shoot dudes with and that is fucking awesome. We also fused a persona called Seth, who is a giant fire-breathing dragon. I don't think the name fits. We also made Abaddon who is a giant slime and may play a role in this game but I really have no idea.

As for story, we are not really at a part of the game where anything is happening. Our favourite salesman, Tanaka, pulled the same trick as he did (or will do) in Persona 4 by discontinuing his sale of things we can use and has begun selling items designed to keep the Apathy Syndrome away, which sell out too quickly for us to buy them (plus we don't even need them). Our party members keep talking about the fact that the cult is putting up a lot of fliers, and these fliers litter the floor of anywhere we go, so I guess they're speaking the truth. All the kids at school are also talking about the End of the World; that is also happening.

In terms of actual story events, we did have one thing happen. Akihiko finally admitted that he lost "Operation Babe Hunt" (that's from waaay back) because we totally picked up Aigis and he didn't. So, he took us all  down to Hagakure for some ramen! And by all, I mean like five of us and left the others behind. I know for a fact that five included Akihiko, Junpei, Aigis, and us, but I do not remember who else because that was like two weeks ago. There, we found a magazine with a cover story written about Takaya. We figured out something important at this point, but I don't remember what it was because my notes for this part literally just say "Hagakure - Takaya stuff" and I am not as capable as my past self believed I would be at determining what "stuff" is. Man, I suck at this.

Speaking of sucking at this, let's just end this update. I don't even have a good way to end it. Goodbye.

We've played 79 hours, by the way. That's almost eighty.
#1 Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -

I'm going to start off this update by admitting that it actually previously had a different intro here, but since the time between me starting this update and me finishing this update was over two weeks, the old intro is no longer relevant or sensible. All that needs to be said really is that I have not written anything about Persona 3 FES recently, but we have played some. The only excuse I can think of is that Christmas happened, but we played all three sessions covered in this update long enough before Christmas that I could have written about them a lot sooner. Anyways, the only actual reason is that I am lazy and would rather sit around watching anime then write articles for this site. But this is not about my skill in procrastination, this is about PERSONA 3 F-ING FES! Let's go!

That lead-up was quite misleading, because the first thing I want to talk about is how much the music in this game has started to depress me. Gone are the pop-inspired tracks with nonsensical English and catchy riffs; now all that's left are slow, dramatic piano tracks based off my favourite song from the game's soundtrack, 君の記憶 (Kimi No Kioku). As you can tell from that link, the original song is not that depressing, but the game just takes bits from that and slows them down in an effort to make everything feel a lot sadder. It makes sense, I mean, the world is going to end. But, I still miss hearing the fantastic and joyous tracks that accompanied the first half of the game.

So, since it's been about seven hours of game time since I last updated, there's a lot of S. Links to go through! First, Mamoru, the least interesting one. Now, this may only be because this actually happened a month ago, but I don't remember at all what happened with Mamoru. I'm guessing his mom is still in the hospital (I thought she was dead) and he's protecting his family. And guess what, Mamoru is actually Japanese for "to protect", so that totally makes sense! I love wordplay. I also know for a fact that we got to Rank 9 with him, but after that he kind of disappeared and we haven't seen him since. I don't like it when people do that.

Speaking of disappearing, we got to Rank 10 with Dying Guy! We went to him one last time and he told us the final ending to his story. At the end, the crocodile gets so depressed about eating his buddy that he cries himself a sizable pond in the middle of the jungle and proceeds to drown in it. But it's a happy ending because all the other animals drink from his tear pond (that's not healthy) and live happily ever after! The message is that you can help people even when you don't know it! After providing us with that, Dying Guy decided that now is a good time to disappear, so he disappeared. For some reason, that made sense at the time, so I'm okay with it.

Man, I just realized that I never actually took the time to figure out Dying Guy's name. At the beginning he was just Stoner Man, and then he became Dying Guy. I bet he had a really cool name, like Mikado or Tomoya.

Speaking of not knowing people's names, we hung out with the Old Couple some more! They own a bookstore, and their son is totally dead. They're old and that's cool, but what's cooler is the boy who walked into the store and broke the reality of the whole game. Okay, maybe the reality was kind of shattered with the whole Persona and Shadow thing, but this one boy contradicted everything about the location and existence of this whole city. So, here's how it went down. This kid walked in and said, "Hajimemashite! Nice to meet you!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you unaware, "Hajimemashite" is Japanese and translates to "Nice to meet you". SO HE IS BASICALLY JUST SAYING NICE TO MEET YOU TWICE. Here's the problem: This game is very obviously set in Japan, but it bends the reality by making everyone speak English as an obvious conceit to help people here in the West play the game. I understand this, and it has to be done. We are lead to assume that everything here is actually being said in Japanese, but then is being translated to English just for us. So when someone walks in and talks in Japanese it breaks my mind. It's like he's speaking in Japanese twice! It's like this whole thing is some sort of play where people are acting like they are English but he walked in and got confused and said the wrong thing! I am very curious what he says in the Japanese version of the game. For full disclosure, I'd like to say that I understand that this is some sort of joke, and don't hold it against the game, but maaaaan it was nuts when it happened. I was all like, "MAN THAT IS NUTS BRO". The same thing happens in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood also but in those games they actually have some way of explaining it.

We also finally got to hang out with Aigis, which is cool because she is a pretty-looking robot lady with a sexy robot voice. Does that sound creepy? I hope not. Anyways, we were walking around the mall when we met this lady who had lost her cat. Aigis decided that she really wanted to help this lady find her lost cat and we went on a 3-S.Rank-long expedition to find it. Eventually, we found it, and it turned out it was the same cat we had been feeding for the Elizabeth request before. Except when we fed it before, it had become fat, but when we found it during the S.Link it had become slim again. Retcon! Anyways, I like this S.Link because it was specifically made for FES (due to popular demand) so they actually had some time to work on it and make it cooler than the others due to new camera angles and such. I mean, with Dying Guy, we just sat on a bench in the same position the whole time. I'm looking forward to S.Linking with Aigis more, which we will get to do since she's only Rank 5.

We also hung out with Chihiro, who finally realized that maybe talking to a teacher about the stolen money would be a good idea. Y'know, for a chick who's really only hot because she has glasses, she's not very smart. We also hung out with Drunk Monk, and he got so shit-faced that he thought we were his son and started saying weird things to us. The next time he was less drunk, and decided to hire a private investigator in order to find his wife and son (I guess they ran away). Also at some point he became rich because he has enough money to do that even though he doesn't have a job and goes to a club and drinks alone every night. (Well, not anymore since we came, but there are still some nights where we don't show up and I assume he continues to drink on those nights, all alone.)

Also, we have decided that in order to get to Rank 10 with the largest amount of characters we have started abandoning the least interesting/lowest level S.Ranks we have. Basically, this just means that we probably won't ever be hanging out with Fuuka or Mitsuru anymore, but hey, there's always Playthrough Two (which I won't write about because I've realized that this is so much more work than I can handle). I'd also like to point out that we still have not been given the chance to S.Link with Junpei, Akihiko, and Ken. That's probably because they are not ladies and therefore can not be boned (because we don't swing that way).

Now, in order to transition between talking about S.Links and talking about fighting, I'm going to talk about this thing that I'm going to talk about! That thing is our new Nyx Annihilation Team S.Link that we have already managed to max out. You might remember it as the one that we got to rank 5 in about an hour. Well, in another hour we beat the rest of the bosses and maxed that S.Link! Now, it's the 12th of January, and we had until the 31st to beat the bosses. So, we have 19 days of not doing anything! Everyone keeps asking us to go to Tartarus, but we only had to go twice to do everything we needed to do. We have gone a couple of extra times just to grind (because I'm really worried this final boss will be way too strong for us).

Speaking of fighting, Aigis now has a sniper rifle to shoot dudes with and that is fucking awesome. We also fused a persona called Seth, who is a giant fire-breathing dragon. I don't think the name fits. We also made Abaddon who is a giant slime and may play a role in this game but I really have no idea.

As for story, we are not really at a part of the game where anything is happening. Our favourite salesman, Tanaka, pulled the same trick as he did (or will do) in Persona 4 by discontinuing his sale of things we can use and has begun selling items designed to keep the Apathy Syndrome away, which sell out too quickly for us to buy them (plus we don't even need them). Our party members keep talking about the fact that the cult is putting up a lot of fliers, and these fliers litter the floor of anywhere we go, so I guess they're speaking the truth. All the kids at school are also talking about the End of the World; that is also happening.

In terms of actual story events, we did have one thing happen. Akihiko finally admitted that he lost "Operation Babe Hunt" (that's from waaay back) because we totally picked up Aigis and he didn't. So, he took us all  down to Hagakure for some ramen! And by all, I mean like five of us and left the others behind. I know for a fact that five included Akihiko, Junpei, Aigis, and us, but I do not remember who else because that was like two weeks ago. There, we found a magazine with a cover story written about Takaya. We figured out something important at this point, but I don't remember what it was because my notes for this part literally just say "Hagakure - Takaya stuff" and I am not as capable as my past self believed I would be at determining what "stuff" is. Man, I suck at this.

Speaking of sucking at this, let's just end this update. I don't even have a good way to end it. Goodbye.

We've played 79 hours, by the way. That's almost eighty.
#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

The last parts of the game have some very memorable songs.

You're getting to the best parts of the game.

#3 Posted by Khantael (162 posts) -

That kid is a potential S Link. He speaks with a comedy French accent and speaks in fanboy Japanese, which is probably what they were going for.

#4 Posted by ch3burashka (5180 posts) -

I haven't been following this at all, so I don't know where you at with dem Social Links. All I got to say is that the MMO S.Link with Maya is AWESOME, probably my favorite S.Link in both P3 and P4.

#5 Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" I haven't been following this at all, so I don't know where you at with dem Social Links. All I got to say is that the MMO S.Link with Maya is AWESOME, probably my favorite S.Link in both P3 and P4. "  
Yeah, we really enjoyed that one too. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.