The King's screenshot journey through Tartarus.

#351 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@turambar said:

@video_game_king said:
Is this how Japanese people swear?

Chi You is actually a Chinese god of war

So the Chinese equivalent of goddamnit? I'll have to remember that for later.

#352 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#353 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Man, fuck this. Fuuka is where it's at.

Yeah!

Yea, this isn't creepy or perverted in the slightest.

...Yeah. Still I secretly (not that secret anymore I guess) hope this feature returns in P5. So how high level are you? I think you said before you were going to grind to 90+ which is what I did, in retrospect it was probably a bit much.

#354 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@chibithor:

I didn't make it to 90, but I did make it to 87. Enough for a billion Metatron jokes.

#355 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Guys...

It is time.

To find out what the fuck was supposed to be on those shelves? To wonder how the hell they got that armoire through the door? To find out why this douchy kid has this giant-ass room when millions of Japanese people are living in closets? The suspense is literally* killing me.

--

*Not suspense, entropy. Slowly.

#356 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Guys...

It is time.

To find out what the fuck was supposed to be on those shelves? To wonder how the hell they got that armoire through the door? To find out why this douchy kid has this giant-ass room when millions of Japanese people are living in closets? The suspense is literally* killing me.

--

*Not suspense, entropy. Slowly.

I think I can answer all that with:

MOTHERFUCKIN' PARTY TIME.

In addition, I might as well inform all of you that I've just finished The Journey and will continue on to The Answer. Right after I catalog a metric buttton of screenshots, that is.

#357 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@video_game_king: So... what did you ultimately think of it? Did you spend forever on the final boss or were you really over-leveled? Was it as good as (or at least close to) Persona 4? Did not being able to control your party members ever get on your nerves?

Of course I know most of this will be in your blog, but if I'm guessing correctly that particular blog won't come for another few months.

#358 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

I still have The Answer to go through, so no hard opinions yet. However, a few notes on the final boss:

• It took a long time, but Nyx was not too challenging. For quite a few of those Arcana, she'd be out in one or two rounds. I did get charmed once (damn it; I had Asura there specifically to null that chance), but the worst of that was losing my party members briefly.
  • Man, what an awesome final boss fight. I don't know how exactly to put it, but I really liked it and would rank it up there as one of my favorite final bosses. (So far, the list only comprises this game and Tear Ring Saga. I am a bastard.)
#359 Posted by Hailinel (24973 posts) -
#360 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@hailinel:

I've done worse. Remember Mary Kate and Ashley?

#361 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The Journey may be over, but nothing can ever stop this Renegade Photo.

Like, as a pet? Because you're already having enough trouble with Ken.
This whole Paradise thing was kinda contrived from the beginning.
The narrator finally recognizes the person who took his love's life.
Right. "Concern."
The Gourmet King is also an expert theologian, apparently.
What a pussy angel.
"This pleases me, for some reason."
That's simply the spirits in your head trying to escape.
I don't think dates the with the Masamune have ever worked out well. (How many FF7 jokes is this game going to spoon-feed me?)
If anything, I thought you'd be the first to try it.
I want to make a MechDonald's joke, but every time I do, I imagine Aigis emotionlessly reciting each of their commercial lines.
Junpoet.
"I swear to god, I'm gonna bust a nut if I see so much as a B-."
Too bad nobody actually speaks it.
YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!
So I see you've found my Twilight Princess blog.
"Wow, that sounds really stupid when I say it out loud."
So does this.
Man, that is harsh Junpei. What did Ken ever do to you? Or at all?
With you?

And finally, some bonus material:

What happens when I accidentally hit F7 instead of F8.

#362 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

@video_game_king I'm just going to assume you're going to make it to the end of the game, and when you do, will you do me a favor and take a high-res screenshot of... well, this really really isn't a spoiler, but I'll cover it up just in case. Take a high-res screenshot of "Maya's" character portrait. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it- and you'd probably have captured it anyway.

@toowalrus:

I'm not mousing over that spoiler in case it's an actual spoiler. The day when that event occurs will suffice, since I can't imagine that alone spoiling much.

Oh hey, you finished The Journey? Did you do that thing I was talking about? ...of course you did. ...right?

#363 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@toowalrus:

Depends on what we're talking about. If it's the one in the menus, then no, I didn't take it. There's a display glitch that makes that look dumb. I did, however, take several from the actual game.

#364 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What time is it? Time for a billion plot twists!

THIS IS THE BEST GODDAMN BOSS BATTLE.
In what culture is this true?
"Excuse me. I have to go pay my respects to Susan Sarandon."
"No. I don't know a thing about you."
If Yukari could show up in this screenshot, I don't think the story would progress the way it does.
"How could Family Guy suck that hard by accident!?"
Dude, she's dead. You can do whatever you want, now. Wait...
"Uh, Yukari, we're all here. In fact, you're looking right at us."
Yoda grammar, she appears to be utilizing.
"Wearing a badass outfit, sounding like Solid Snake, and being a very useful party member. Wait...."
"Seriously, how has nobody noticed the Dark Hour, yet!? You'd think people moving incredibly fast for a whole minute would draw some attention!"
"Who's the Gourmet King now?" "Still not you."
"No, Ken, I am your mother." "That's false! That cannot be real!"
"Yea, her name's Chidori."
It was about here that I noticed that little red bead. Seriously, what the hell is that thing?
Somebody showed Takaya this screenshot.
It's not that good in motion.
Why the flat faces?
Even in death, he looks absolutely badass.
Amazing that it took this long.

#365 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Oh I hated that boss battle... It was the only one where I died, and I died at least 3 times. I was terrible at spinning that damn wheel. The tartarus teleporter level mini boss fights were often tougher than most of the actual boss fights.

Poor one of for Shinji, dude was the best party character in the game when he was around. I'm debating to spoilerize this or not, even though it's spoiled in today's update... Fuck it, let's get reckless.

#367 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

@video_game_king: Saw this today, this is pretty much exactly how I picture your future turning out.

#368 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king: Saw this today, this is pretty much exactly how I picture your future turning out.

Can we go one day without a single pun?

#369 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Let's see if I can hold to the advice I gave myself in the post just above this one:

"Not that that means much. I mean, everybody has opportunity, right?"
"What's that?.......I am being informed that in all of human history, nobody has ever committed suicide by shooting themselves in the back."
Better fake-study for that not-real-exam. Don't want to disappoint your fake-parents..........You're adopted.
"It didn't take him this long to die."
Is that how you greet the dead? I'm not sure what the protocol is here.
No, he's definitely the dead one, Akihiko.
OUT OF GODDAMN NOWHERE.
"NOW WHO ELSE WANTS TO JOIN SHINJIRO UP HERE!?"
You know, the mythological figure Caesar.
Please tell me you have video of the latter.
Into your mouth, presumably.
Listening Student from two days ago could have used that advice.
Man, this ramen shop sure is an emotional place.
That reminds me: I have to order a sandal phone.
This makes way too much sense.
I am now two kings. RECOGNIZE, MOTHERFUCKERS.
Does it take a lot to master eating?
"It's like my dad told me over and over and over again: none of the blame is yours."
No, it's still a game.
This was a potential continuity disaster. POTENTIAL.

So I've been playing a bit of The Answer, and I have to say that bonus Igor fight is....uh....

...something...

#370 Posted by Hailinel (24973 posts) -
#371 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@hailinel:

In this case, he sort of is. Almost immediately after the guy's death, Romans decided to shoot Caesar up into the heavens and deify the fuck out of him because he was so goddamn awesome.

#372 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

...something...

I remember that damn thing. It looks so stupid, somehow even dumber than the whole premise of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Also, weren't Caesars thought of as gods? Or, at least, Julius Caesar?

#373 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

They even had little side compartments built into them that essentially let the bad guys cheat. Why? No idea whatsoever.

I know that the original Caesar was, but I don't know much about the other Emperors.

#374 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So I've been playing quite a bit of The Answer, and I've only died on a boss once so far. Am I just that awesome? Of course I am.

By being shot in the back and then walking away?
Well, shit.

Continue the course, Brooklyn.
"Isn't that right, Mitsuko?" "........." "See that? Pure joy."*
So when you first saw this woman crying at your very presence, your immediate response was to stay near her at all costs?
"Hey, old man, where did I punch you last time? I want to open old wounds."
Why wait? Let's do this shit, man.
Where IS here, again?
"You're not gonna find her up there, either."
"You are alone in this world and nobody loves you."
"Hey, look at me when I'm telling you you can go die, for all I care."
"I should follow that advice Shinji was always muttering to himself."
With Shinjiro's death come a shitton of Persona upgrades.
I just realized how utterly dumb his Persona has always looked.
Resident Evil villain has given rise to something that looks like a Digimon whose name I can't remember.
You'd think somebody would have buried the damn corpse by now.
Allow me to explain in a billion fucking words.
"Damn it, Fuuka. This smell's never coming out!"
Of course it is. I'm with you.
Are you my dad? The hell's going on?

*That joke probably would have worked better in an audio medium.

#375 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

So do you think Persona 4 handled characters getting their upgraded personas better by tying it to the S-links? I do.

Also letting you s-link with all the party characters and not just the chicks for boning purposes was a major improvement. Now if they only let you also bone the dudes as well as the chicks the game would be perfect, because damn it I want to juggle a love affair with both Kanji and Naoto and see what happens if I get caught!

edit: forgot to @video_game_king but fuck it you seem to check this anyways so it won't matter.

#376 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

edit: forgot to @video_game_king but fuck it you seem to check this anyways so it won't matter.

You don't have to. It's a blog, so I get notified, anyway.

So do you think Persona 4 handled characters getting their upgraded personas better by tying it to the S-links? I do.

Actually, in retrospect, this manner of Persona evolution fits in kinda well with the themes the game's trying to deliver, since it only happens after some major death or loss or something. The only downside is that Koromaru never gets a Persona evolution. What do you have against puppy love, Atlus!?

I want to juggle a love affair with both Kanji and Naoto and see what happens if I get caught!

Three words: hot three-way action.

#377 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@video_game_king:

It does fit the themes for this game, but I'm still glad they decided to change how it worked for Persona 4. If I recall correctly I felt the change was a little forced or just came completely out of left field at times. I don't remember if I felt that way more so for the dudes, because of the lack of s-links with them. I felt the game needed more one on one time with everybody's favorite character, Junpei, is basically what I'm saying. And Koromaru. Really the fact that he didn't have a true social link is a travesty.

#378 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Somehow, beyond all reason, this feature continues.

"What gave me away?"
I was going to comment on how he's stating the obvious, but fuck, those eyes, man. I think this is the first time we've actually seen them.
"See? Look at my eyes. They're different, now."
"I just found out there are a couple more months at the end of the calendar. Who knew?"
"There's this girl at the coffee shop who has a thing for me, but I don't want to ruin my long distance relationship with that Oohashi girl. Can you help me out, man?"
Yes. I have been absolutely clear about that.
Uh, secant? Cotangent?
How did she get such awesome spells? Is she a Strega agent?
"Masecantla!"
"If you're gonna drink some gross tequila, do it outside, so you don't bother anybody."
Zorro? It was Zorro, wasn't it?
CHOICES.
"How did your life get this low?"
Keep in mind that he never said anything about running.
"Koro-chan says that it was quite gangster of him."
And by "ahead", you mean "around my level".
"I never knew that vaseline was edible."
Why does this screen even exist? Also, why are her stats such shit for the level she's at?
I still fucking win this shit.
FUCKING TOLD YOU.

#379 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No story or Social Links today. Just battle. Bloody, horrible battle.

Lazy bastards.
Turns out she's fighting a completely different enemy that doesn't exist. I am dead serious.
What the hell...?
Turns out to be very easy.
Since when did I have a wand? (Since I considered blogging about Wing of Madoola for a Cinderella joke; that's when.)
10 to 3 it isn't.
Yea, this isn't creepy or perverted in the slightest.
Point to it, Fuuka. Point to the kiss of life.
So give it to the girl with the Lovers Arcana. Makes perfect sense.
It's like Ganondorf's and Sigma's disgusting love baby.
Mine. It's my cloak.
Great. She's gonna blab about her mom from here to Tellius.
Jesus Christ! Is Michael Vick roaming the halls of Tartatus!?....Is Michael Vick roaming the halls of Taratus?
That's just how shadows work.
"Re radows retray you, recause rey rerong ro re! Ree-hee-hee-hee-hee."
Was the translator stabbed halfway through writing this line?
I like to imagine she's doing her best Igor impression.
"SHOW THEM WHERE THE ACTION IS! YEEAAAAAA!!!"
What an ugly other face.
Thor's just bummed that he had to hang out with Take-Mikazuchi today.

Guess what I found a couple of days ago?

#380 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Is that a real weapon for Koro or is that a shadow Koro that I don't remember at all? If it is a weapon then fuck I should've used Koro more.

And the comments didn't show up in the viewer mode today man! I had to scroll through the page with the scroll wheel. This is bullshit.

#381 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@pyromagnestir:

It's a real weapon. In fact, it's the same weapon from the Michael Vick joke.

That one's because I just finished captioning all the images, largely because there's a bug going on with my gallery that makes uploading all this a pain in the ass. I'd report it, but I already have, and in a way that I can't do much of anything about it.

#382 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I tend to use the same party if the game doesn't give xp to characters you're not using, since I like my party to all be roughly the same level, so I never really used anyone other than Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru. I didn't really try out Ken, Koro, Junpei (once Mitsuru joined the front lines), or Aigis much. After Koro, Aigis is the biggest tragedy, because it means I unfortunately never got to experience Orgia mode, which sounds amazing.

#383 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

After Koro, Aigis is the biggest tragedy, because it means I unfortunately never got to experience Orgia mode, which sounds amazing.

I didn't see too much of it, either. From the one time I did use it, she just glowed a bit and her attack went up. I didn't get far enough in that battle to see the tragic downside to it all.

#384 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Brooklyn's up to his old tricks of...how about I just show you? Like I always do?

You saying you're up for something, Elizabeth?
Me. She's referring to me.
HOW?!
"Both" "*squee*"
"I'm right here. In fact, you're looking right at me."
("How much money would Kurosawa pay for something like that?")
"Your pants. Drop 'em."
"That's it, nice and slow."
Is that why he's brandishing the knife?
"Somebody named a store after me? Yay!"
Hey, I recognize this from Creep's episode of Hoarders!
Yes, this is a solution to a sidequest. Why? Who the hell knows?
"Still, that's never stopped you before."
Did I just stumble into Zelda 2?
Japan is so fucked.
These billions of screenshots, for instance.
The game says that this is of sentimental value to Elizabeth. Let that sink in.
"YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW!?"
Knock, knuckle, kick, kink....nah, probably doesn't mean anything.
He knows of your crimes, Brooklyn.

#385 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I come looking for today's update only to discover there can be no update! The King is dead, long live the King!

#386 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I come looking for today's update only to discover there can be no update! The King is dead, long live the King!

You are quite wrong.

UPDATES, BITCH!

Mitsuko, on the other hand, is clearly suffering.
"And so are your STIs."
Clearly.
"I mean, you have to buy a special swing for that kind of thing."
WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING BEFORE I JOINED SEES!?
"Aw, look at the poor baby without any notes. Are you gonna cry? Are you gonna cry because I keep erasing your notes, baby?"
Me. It's me, Takenozuka.
"I feel like I'm gonna squirt blood out of my anus. And I don't even have an anus."
Why's there a space there? That's not how you spell it.
"Actually, I'm here to ask what the hell is going on with the two chairs to my right."
This piques Brooklyn's interest.
"Whether or not to get a side of fries with that hot dog....A GREATER TRAGEDY THAN ANTIGONE!"
"I could have known his sensuous touch."
I'd make a drug joke, but I think this was already a joke in a Looney Tunes cartoon.
WHAT HAPPENED TO HER LEGS!?
It's a sheet of acid.
Right. Sand.
You can summarize some of my blogs with this very screenshot.
That's still enough for Brooklyn Rage.
Now he has a justification for stabbing fishes' eyes out and then releasing them back into the wild.

Would you believe me if I told you the same thing happened in my Planet Laika thread?

#387 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Nope. I wouldn't believe you at all.

And what's your problem with her legs? They look normal to me? Is this some sort of thing where you're just realizing now that humans only have 2 legs and now you're freaking out about it or something?

#388 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@pyromagnestir:

They look like they barely exist and she's standing on spindly little sticks. Also, like her crotch was kicked out of existence and all that exists between her legs is a void of nothingness.

#389 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@video_game_king:

Her crotch is there, you're just not looking hard enough.

I'm going to leave that sentence as is, despite all the, shall we say, uncouth connotations that can be derived from it.

#390 Edited by BigJeffrey (5026 posts) -

I tried to emulate it on high on my PC but no success (15 fps, i dont know why since a ps2 is still hooked up next to me. Anyways FES is the way to go since The Answer chapter alone took me 60 hours to finish.

#391 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Anyways FES is the way to go since The Answer chapter alone took me 60 hours to finish.

WHAT!? I'm less than 20 hours in and I'm up to the 7th door. (The first boss in Empyrean is the first one that's actually giving me a run for my money, although part of that is because of some unlucky runs.)

#392 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

A couple months worth of updates, and once again, I can't come up with any sort of introduction. Hopefully, the fact that I have a closer will sort of make up for that.

"How's my impression of Koromaru? Good, right?"
"You didn't want anybody else hearing about your plans."
"I'm gonna whoop this dog's ass, right here and now!"
$500 ramen. Of course.
The look on her face just completes it.
"They lock me in the basement and tell me to eat cockroaches for sustenance."
Curiosity killed the cat. And Akinari.
"I told the judge THAT, too! Didn't help much."
"The doctors say it's like there's a civil war between my kidneys."
"This Social Link is just way too goddamned depressing to handle."
Open your eyes, Mitsuru. You're no longer riding that horse.
"I told the doctors that not having human genitals, I do not menstruate. Regardless, I still have to go."
Whose brain did they rip out to create Aigis?
About that outfit. Seriously, what the hell?
"What a coincidence, indeed. I was just about to go home."
No, but I will.
As soon as you saw Keisuke.
"...In the night....leave her in..."
Sarcasm.
[DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN] Still, makes more sense than anything in 999.

#393 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

The Answer took me like, 25-30 hours, maybe... It's been awhile. Definitely wasn't anywhere near 60 hours, though. Also, 999 is fine. Also also, have you played P4 Arena?

#394 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Also, 999 is fine.

Not from what I remember.

Also also, have you played P4 Arena?

Not at all. It involves characters from this game, and I'm not yet done with it. Also....no PC release (as far as I can tell), so no screenshot madness.

#395 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Rather than end things with a dumb image or video, how about I start them with such?

Trust me: in a minute or two, it will still make absolutely no sense.

Remind her that she exists.
The real twist: Mitsuko was a ghost the entire time. Her memory haunts Bunkichi to this very day.
Japan: Our Captain Planet is a motherfucking dragon. Clearly, everybody else is doing it wrong.
Like, the day after? Man, what an abrupt ending.
Just to be clear: we're talking about Aigis, not Yukari.
Me.
Unfortunately, you just realized that you were supposed to use a #2 pencil.
He knows. Obama won't rest until you're dead.
"He's my man, Chihiro. Just accept that."
"It seems like she wants to tongue fuck you in front of Mitsuru, but is too nervous to get things started."
"That way, I don't have to pay them a damn thing. How do you think my family got so rich?"
"I'm kind of psychotic like that."
"I don't know why I'm asking you for proof, though. Seems like the dumbest idea in the world."
Are we....are we gonna fuck? Because I haven't even started Social Linking with you, Mitsuru.
Scratch that: she may get upset if you so much as interact with another female character in the game.
Damn it, Mitsuru! Why did you have to ruin my chances with her?
"I swear I'm gonna stab any bitch who stands between me and Brooklyn!"
"How does he even get into the school without setting off the metal detector?"
I think even Ono over there is looking down in shame.
"You're one crazy girl, Chihiro. And that's just the way I like it."

I've seen where Chihiro's Link goes, and, uh...it's pretty damn scary.

#396 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Looks like I missed some great times by abandoning the Chihiro social link

I've seen where Chihiro's Link goes, and, uh...it's pretty damn scary.

I don't mind the usual "only viewable in the US" screen, but why do I need to see ads before and after it? I guess seeing the same ad over and over again is scary as well

#397 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't mind the usual "only viewable in the US" screen, but why do I need to see ads before and after it? I guess seeing the same ad over and over again is scary as well

Because advertisers love applying blanket statements, even though this type of advertising only works for videos 15-20 minutes long (IE something you're not likely to find in the Clips section of [adult swim])?

#398 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The most disease ridden update of this thread yet.

The how isn't clear.
"Hahahahaha. You're mine forever. Hahahahahahahaha."
"I say on the roof of a school with an easily scaleable fence."
Which one?
"Man, you should see a psychiatrist. AND THIS IS ME TELLING YOU THIS."
Am I gonna get laid? BEST SOCIAL LINK EVER.
Just for that, you get to go to summer school this November. You graduate when you realize what's wrong with that idea.
"What are you doing with that gun? What's that stain on the handle? WHAT A-"
"Seriously, Brooklyn. She's been dead for two years."
"Ya'll wonderin' why I'm talkin' like a gol-darn cowboy, pardner? I can be anything. In my dreams."
BUT I MAXED YOU!
"He's smart enough to know where the throat is. Now, what was it you told me, again?"
Persona 3: a world where people express their anger with illness.
"Who's the asshole who made me the Sun Arcana?"
"The only reason God doesn't erase you from the face of the earth is because you amuse him, somehow."
Maybe because you're "dying"? (Oh, fuck, please don't tell me I just predicted where this thing is going.)
Well, there goes that Social Link.
Crime joke or sex joke? YOU decide!
"Also, nice dog."
Too bad I can't act on it for a long time.

Two closers for the price of one!

#399 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

If this game were realistic Chihiro's s-link would end with a murder/suicide.

And doesn't every s-link end with sex? I thought that's what the s stands for.

#400 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

And doesn't every s-link end with sex? I thought that's what the s stands for.

You DO realize that I S-linked with a six year old girl, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.