The Persona 3 FES ending..ATLUS: I hate you so much (SPOILERS!!)

Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
Thank you Atlus, I am now pissed. More than 150 hours into what I thought was a great game, and I am seriously pissed. If the title of the post isn't an indication, I finally finished the FES chapter of Persona 3, only to encounter what had to be one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen. 

The funny thing is that I'm not mad because the ending was incomplete or a cliffhanger- all lose ends are indeed tied up by the end- but because the direction it took was practically a middle finger to the player (me). So while I normally reserve my blog for more general editorial comments, this is a rant, because damn, this is completely f*cked. 

In a nutshell, the main game of persona 3 ends like this: bad guy is vanquished by my main character's (MC's) mysteriously awesome power. Instead of rolling credits or capping off game there, the player is sent two months into the Spring, so that the supporting characters can regain their memories- and more important- so that the player character can revisit the S.Links, and see how good his life is thanks to my in-game actions. In the bonus dialogue that ensues, the love interests on your team hint at romantic weekends, and an emotional Aigis declares her love and intention to protect you till the end. Life is good! 

BUT "until the end" turns out to be about 5 minutes, because the main character then proceeds to FALL ASLEEP AND DIE. This is not entirely clear until the FES persona begins, but congratulations, you are dead.

Proceed then to the FES chapter: all of the characters seem distant and confused by your death. Aigis is tormented by the image of you, and seems only to think of how to find you again. EVERYthing, and I do mean everything in the game centers around the team's feelings of loss and regret regarding the main character. As you proceed through the most difficult grind in JRPG history, you encounter visions of the main character, and the dialogue gets more heated. In effect, the entire "answer" chapter seems to be about reviving or somehow helping the main character, at least it did to me. The conflict between the team members revolves around the possibility of saving him, so that certainly wouldn't be against the plot.

Then you reach the final battle of the game, and everything becomes clear: the main character did not die trying to kill nyx, but rather used his life force to seal nyx from a giant monster formed from the depression and angst of mankind. Of course, when confronted with the massive creature, the SEES members dispatch it, and (unless I'm missing something) completely obviate the reason for the MC's sacrifice. Since they went back in time, the force that would unleash Nyx has been stopped for the moment...it should work out right?

NO, instead of changing the MC's fate in any way, ATLUS throws out a red herring of Aigis potentially dying, which is quickly dispelled. So, at the very end, Aigis becomes more "human" and now: congratulations, you have helped the team cope with your sacrificial death....

WHAT? Let me get this straight: so at the end of everything, my character is floating eternally in space guarding a door against a monster that could handily killed by the lesser teammates at any point? What kind of "final" ending is that? Fuck that mess! So the "answer" is finding friends to help cope with loss? This is where I lost my mind.. my character had friends, but he's dead. I did not want to be guarding some damned door, but getting in on some of that "alone" time with Mitsuru and Yukari...

Ok, I might sound like some American cinema prick who always wants a happy ending. But I really don't mind sacrifice or unhappy endings, IF they make sense. But in this case, the game goes out of its way to tease you with reasons why the character should probably be alive. Why did they do this? I put over 150 hours into this game, and at the end I'm screwed.

Going into this expansion, I figured it was a lot like Final Fantasy X-2. Now I liked FFX-2 as a game, but I liked it more because you could actually "fix" the busted ending to the first game. The only difference is that FFX wasn't a tease about its original ending, yet it still could be changed. In Persona 3's case, I don't know what they were thinking. I seriously don't see how this can be a satisfying conclusion:

And the conclusion? Again: I'm dead, with my life force guarding a door in space against a deafeatable monster. My reward is that my in-game love interests have found a way to go on without me and be happy, a la Titanic. So cue up the Celine Dion song, cause I'm out Atlus, I'm fuckin out. 
#1 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
Thank you Atlus, I am now pissed. More than 150 hours into what I thought was a great game, and I am seriously pissed. If the title of the post isn't an indication, I finally finished the FES chapter of Persona 3, only to encounter what had to be one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen. 

The funny thing is that I'm not mad because the ending was incomplete or a cliffhanger- all lose ends are indeed tied up by the end- but because the direction it took was practically a middle finger to the player (me). So while I normally reserve my blog for more general editorial comments, this is a rant, because damn, this is completely f*cked. 

In a nutshell, the main game of persona 3 ends like this: bad guy is vanquished by my main character's (MC's) mysteriously awesome power. Instead of rolling credits or capping off game there, the player is sent two months into the Spring, so that the supporting characters can regain their memories- and more important- so that the player character can revisit the S.Links, and see how good his life is thanks to my in-game actions. In the bonus dialogue that ensues, the love interests on your team hint at romantic weekends, and an emotional Aigis declares her love and intention to protect you till the end. Life is good! 

BUT "until the end" turns out to be about 5 minutes, because the main character then proceeds to FALL ASLEEP AND DIE. This is not entirely clear until the FES persona begins, but congratulations, you are dead.

Proceed then to the FES chapter: all of the characters seem distant and confused by your death. Aigis is tormented by the image of you, and seems only to think of how to find you again. EVERYthing, and I do mean everything in the game centers around the team's feelings of loss and regret regarding the main character. As you proceed through the most difficult grind in JRPG history, you encounter visions of the main character, and the dialogue gets more heated. In effect, the entire "answer" chapter seems to be about reviving or somehow helping the main character, at least it did to me. The conflict between the team members revolves around the possibility of saving him, so that certainly wouldn't be against the plot.

Then you reach the final battle of the game, and everything becomes clear: the main character did not die trying to kill nyx, but rather used his life force to seal nyx from a giant monster formed from the depression and angst of mankind. Of course, when confronted with the massive creature, the SEES members dispatch it, and (unless I'm missing something) completely obviate the reason for the MC's sacrifice. Since they went back in time, the force that would unleash Nyx has been stopped for the moment...it should work out right?

NO, instead of changing the MC's fate in any way, ATLUS throws out a red herring of Aigis potentially dying, which is quickly dispelled. So, at the very end, Aigis becomes more "human" and now: congratulations, you have helped the team cope with your sacrificial death....

WHAT? Let me get this straight: so at the end of everything, my character is floating eternally in space guarding a door against a monster that could handily killed by the lesser teammates at any point? What kind of "final" ending is that? Fuck that mess! So the "answer" is finding friends to help cope with loss? This is where I lost my mind.. my character had friends, but he's dead. I did not want to be guarding some damned door, but getting in on some of that "alone" time with Mitsuru and Yukari...

Ok, I might sound like some American cinema prick who always wants a happy ending. But I really don't mind sacrifice or unhappy endings, IF they make sense. But in this case, the game goes out of its way to tease you with reasons why the character should probably be alive. Why did they do this? I put over 150 hours into this game, and at the end I'm screwed.

Going into this expansion, I figured it was a lot like Final Fantasy X-2. Now I liked FFX-2 as a game, but I liked it more because you could actually "fix" the busted ending to the first game. The only difference is that FFX wasn't a tease about its original ending, yet it still could be changed. In Persona 3's case, I don't know what they were thinking. I seriously don't see how this can be a satisfying conclusion:

And the conclusion? Again: I'm dead, with my life force guarding a door in space against a deafeatable monster. My reward is that my in-game love interests have found a way to go on without me and be happy, a la Titanic. So cue up the Celine Dion song, cause I'm out Atlus, I'm fuckin out. 
#2 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that the victory was temporary as the malevolent feelings of 6,000,000,000 people would just cause it to generate again and attempt to use Nyx's power to end the world, which is what was forcing the MC to stay up there.

But I'm with you, if my underlings could take that thing out, they can do it with my help too.  Just wait until after Yukari and I are done with that long weekend...

#3 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Haha...yeah, call it a yearly thing and enjoy life...but no, there's a door.

On the bright side, I can look emo forever...
#4 Posted by Alias01 (80 posts) -
Well...

***Persona 4 Spoilers***

In Persona 4 reveals that Elizabeth has an older sister, who is revealed to be Margaret, the assistant of Igor in Persona 4. Through the Protagonist' conversation with Margaret, Margaret reveals to be disturbed by Elizabeth's abrupt decisions of leaving the Velvet Room, and hopes to bring her back. However, Margaret, who also begins to question her existence, believes that she should discover her true self as well, and give the Protagonist an invitation, challenging him to a fight.

Should the Protagonist accepts Margaret' challenge and defeat her, Elizabeth's motive of leaving the Velvet Room is later revealed to be attempting to free the soul of the Protagonist of Persona 3 from the seal of Nyx.

***End Spoilers***

Source: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Wiki
#5 Edited by platinumdevil (13 posts) -

***P5 spoilers***

Elizabeth succeeds in freeing p3mc but his time floating in the abyss has deranged him and using the power of the universe arcana becomes the new big bad(or at least a bonus boss)

***end spoilers***
#6 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Seriously...platinum, what was the point of that last one? Persona 5 hasn't been announced officially or commented on at all, maybe Jeff and Vinny can get it out of them at E3. Moreover, Margaret has nothing to do with P3, that would be Elizabeth. Come on, a little effort maybe if that's the route you wanna take?

#7 Edited by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -
@SonicFire said:
"

"
This is the reason why I chose to stop playing "the Answer" after about an hour of playtime.  I feared that this tacked on epilogue would ruin Persona 3 "The Journey" for me which I truly loved.  I created a thread about this, but since I received no replies, I never returned to the game.  It seems I was right to stop where I did.  I still have strong feelings for the game, largely untainted emotions.  Because I spent such little time in "the Answer" I choose to ignore it.
#8 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@PenguinDust:
Interesting thoughts...

From a pure challenge perspective, I still enjoyed the game, because in order to beat it, you have to absolutely master persona's battle/fusion system. And I do mean MASTER. Since you never get a compendium, it's all gotta be perfect. 

I was kind of proud that by the end I'd fused out a Lucifer from scratch. It also had Megidolaon, Spell Master, and Victory Cry. It's what I referred to as my "fuck you" button. 
#9 Posted by FlipperDesert (2105 posts) -

I agree with this so damn much. I spent 40 hours being repeatedly dying on frustrating bosses, yelling at the characters for becoming utterly unlikeable in the time between The Journey and The Answer, and hoping, just hoping, that I could play as my brosef Frankie again at some point. The only one I didn't want to see burnt at the stake at the end was Aigis. And no, Atlus, I won't "Enjoy the extra difficulty!", I don't play JRPG's for the combat, and I won't in my right mind willingly make it even harder on myself to play through it, unless there are acheivments involved of course.

If you're going to add an extra chapter to a game like that, it needs the main character, it needs to be fun, and it needs rideable velociraptors.

#10 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@FlipperDesert:

I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I'd seen quite a few website reviews that talked about how well the ending wraps things up. I seriously couldn't believe that.

It didn't help that the G4 review SPOILED THE ENDING TO THE JOURNEY

Oh well, P4 is still great no matter what.
#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

P3 had a better ending than P4. I don't know how you can think otherwise.

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

Aren't endings that make no sense a common thing within Japanese entertainment?

#13 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Aren't endings that make no sense a common thing within Japanese entertainment? "
Maybe you mistook them with the gameshows? those are real conundrums.
#14 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@Fallen189:

That was kind of the point of the Blog post... to explain why I think that. But hey, if you like the P3 ending, then I would certainly not argue with you. We all like different things for different reasons.

As for me, I've still got to consider it the biggest let down in a game ending I've ever experienced. Not because it was so terrible, but because I had invested so much time into the game, and it just didn't pan out in a way that didn't depress the crap out of me.
#15 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@SonicFire said:
" @Fallen189:

That was kind of the point of the Blog post... to explain why I think that. But hey, if you like the P3 ending, then I would certainly not argue with you. We all like different things for different reasons.

As for me, I've still got to consider it the biggest let down in a game ending I've ever experienced. Not because it was so terrible, but because I had invested so much time into the game, and it just didn't pan out in a way that didn't depress the crap out of me.
"
Yeah right on friend. I think I preferred it simply because as you know, the P4 "True" ending was very tough to get without a guide of sorts, and P3 was very easy, and the story was phenomenal. Hard to compare the two as they were both phenomenal
#16 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

I was more sad that Metis turned out to be Aigis' emotions and just got consumed back into Aigis, no one seemed to care either, poor Metis!

#17 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@Vorbis:

Yeah, but I kinda figured that out about 10 minutes in....they didn't exactly take steps to make that secretive...but yeah, it seems like an interesting support character to just lose....
#18 Posted by normajean777 (450 posts) -
@SonicFire said:
" @Fallen189:

"
i actually like the fact that it is such a different ending, you die and thats it no ohhh lets go save him or oh we were just kidding. You are dead and there is nothing you can do about it. I loved that part of the game it makes you feel like no other game has and that is truly what a great game does.
#19 Posted by Ben_H (3411 posts) -

I skipped the Answer and started the Journey over again with 3000000 yen and a level of 70.  Much more fun.

#20 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@normajean777:

Different, yes, but I personally would not say that it makes it great. I couldn't quite think of it as an artistic or important statement. The whole "fake-out" ending with the possibility of Aegis dying ended in an ending that was somehow both saccharine and bad. Again, this is just my opinion. Like I said in the blog, I don't need a happy ending, but just one that makes sense under the circumstances. 

But hey, if you loved it, then more power to you. Weeks later and I'm still kinda pissed. If nothing else, that's certainly a testament to how well characters are developed in the game.
#21 Posted by weberyeh (1 posts) -

Great game, Sad ending, Jumping back to different people's view, jump forward to the new games, *waiting for Persona 5* still not out yet...

I should maybe make a new game plot, new characters, new songs, and tell Atlus to try to work with it..

#22 Edited by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

It's not that the ending makes no sense. It's that the details of the ending aren't obvious. At least in the English localization, it's not made explicitly clear that that when the protagonist closes his eyes to rest on Aigis's lap at the end of P3, he dies. That's what officially happens, even in the pre-FES version of the game, but it could easily be misinterpreted as him just falling asleep.

Then, in The Answer, it's plainly stated that the protagonist died. But even worse than that is the general plot progression in The Answer, which is largely an excuse to fragment the party into factions and revive a sense of petty idiocy that the characters had all gotten over by the end of The Journey. Also, it's a grind-heavy dungeon crawl with none of the social elements of The Journey.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. I had no idea how old this thread was.

#23 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Yeah, I made it some long time ago back when the P4 ER was fresh to everyone!

#24 Edited by JoslynDJ (1 posts) -

I couldn't agree MORE.

I haven't had to suffer through "The Answer", but someone who used to be a good friend of mine (long story, I'm not okay with being two-faced and a pathological liar and they are :P) ruined P3P for me by avidly assuring me the main character died rather than passed out. I'm not even ashamed to say I cried. But I'm a girl so that makes it a little more okay than otherwise. But I digress...

I empathize with everything the original author said, and I think that while the comment addressing how it made the story 'real' and so on was a valid point, I don't agree. Especially knowing his spirit still lived on in order to keep Nyx sealed, that's even worse. His soul forever condemned to be imprisoned? How horrible is that! Not even in death he gets relief? That's pretty screwed up.

However I think to allow an 'add-on' story ending to ruin a fantastic game, is a mistake. I think the ending of this game should be looked at as a story. It didn't blatantly say the character died, and in the regular Persona 3 and Persona 3 Portable, there IS no FES "The Answer" business. It said he closed his eyes which can be interpreted multiple ways. Fell asleep, passed out, or died. I think that it should be treated how most poetry and music lyrics are treated. The interpretation is up to you. What speaks best with you? Because BEFORE said person ruined the ending for me, I believed he just passed out and I felt a great sense of closure, relief and happiness.

I don't own the FES version and I don't plan to ever own nor play it. If anything I would want the original Persona 3 for the playstation 2 without that bonus content. In my opinion it was made as a special edition/separate version for a reason. It's optional.

So treat it as an optional ending, if you have a morbid desire for depressing endings lol. I choose to enjoy my P3P game for what it is, a fantastic game where the main character exhausts himself to the point of passing out in order to protect his friends, then fades to a beautiful view of the sky and credits. You know what I imagine happening after? Him waking up in a hospital a couple days later, surrounded by his friends, teary-eyed, smiling and hugging him warmly.

Call me a sap if you want, but hey. I enjoy the arts myself (writing, painting, acting, dancing etc) and it's all about interpretation and speaking to the hearts of your audience. That's how this game's story spoke to me.

I hope this helps encourage those mourning and ranting people who have to suffer through the bonus content or online spoilers. :c

EDIT: I know this thread is incredibly old but I just had to share my thoughts and experience lol because I too thought I was the only one who was so deeply upset over this. :P

#25 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

@JoslynDJ: He's dead; deal with it. This is expanded upon more in Persona 4 Arena.

Hell, the delusion you've created for yourself is almost a slight to the intentions of the game's creative director (Hashino), based on his interview in the Persona 3 art book. Death is the main theme of the game, there's no going around that and the main character's death is basically the only way things could have ended without the reminders of "memento mori" feeling pointless.

#26 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@JoslynDJ: He's dead; deal with it. This is expanded upon more in Persona 4 Arena.

Hell, the delusion you've created for yourself is almost a slight to the intentions of the game's creative director (Hashino), based on his interview in the Persona 3 art book. Death is the main theme of the game, there's no going around that and the main character's death is basically the only way things could have ended without the reminders of "memento mori" feeling pointless.

Hey that's harsh. Its not like he's Shinjiro who is really, really dead no matter what some people like maintain. But yeah the MC died at the end. And the sometimes over the top Christ like imagery clearly point to that in the game. But hey the MC' s death not only saved teh world, it made Aigis fully human so there is that. But Elizabeth will likely revive him.

#27 Edited by galisaa (1 posts) -

My answer. Everything here is on Persona Wiki.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

Short Answer: Final boss of The Answer is merely an avatar of Humanity's despair not Nyx the goddess capable of the fall.

Long answer:Nyx is a goddess of mythology who designed the Fall (destruction of the world). The goddess was neither hostile nor malevolent, she was awakened from the sorrow, depression, and apathy of humankind (The avatar of Death in Persona 3), believing that humans were tired of living and thus, her duty to end their lives.

(Persona 3 Era) Nyx has been in hibernation since then waiting for the call to start the Fall. A call that is suppose to come from the 13th Arcana Death. The original scientists who studied the shadows embraced Death and the Fall but Eiichiro Takeba didn't. He separated it into 13 parts which are bosses you face with the 13th being inside the main character. After the last one is defeated they rebuild to Death who is the final boss of Persona 3. In persona 3 the group fails to stop the summing of Nyx which is why the MC saves the world by sealing it after defeating death.

(The Answer Era) Now the final boss of The Answer is not Nyx. It is the next avatar of Death who is trying to break the seal. It is revealed that the MC did not seal Nyx but is acting as a barrier between Nyx and Death (and the calls of humanity's sorrow, deperssaion, and apathy). Death has been unsuccessful and will remain so. The final fight of The Answer is Death trying to get Wild Card (power to use multiple persona) to attempt to break the seal. Death has no idea if it will work but trying would probably involve Aigis dieing so they fight back. Death's avatar destroyed again. The MC is still acting as a barrier between humanity's despair and Nyx (and probably death's future avatars). The group has hopes that humans will change (Opinion after this:) and one day the barrier will not be needed. Over the course of the game the group has changed in the way needed and do not despair over grief anymore. (Opinion end.)

(Persona 4 Era) - Wrote this last part for myself as I answered your grief of logic with the final boss being Death.

True Ending finds Izanami is the demon / deity / goddess who has also hear the cries of humanity. She was originally intrigued by humanity's desire. She set up a giant experiment to find out the true wish of humanity by awakening many humans with the persona with the MC, Adachi, and Namatame as the ones we know. With the MC with also the power to awaken others. As the midnight channel shows one's desire she thinks this will give her a better understanding of humanity's wish. "As the year went on, Izanami observed that Adachi's actions were the most prolific and had the most effect on people, so she prepared to flood the world with fog and turn everyone into Shadows in response to what she assumed was humanity's wish." (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Izanami) MC confronts Izanami which leads to the rest of the True Ending.

#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

I thought it was awesome.

#29 Posted by believer258 (12103 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@MattyFTM said:

It's not that the ending makes no sense. It's that the details of the ending aren't obvious. At least in the English localization, it's not made explicitly clear that that when the protagonist closes his eyes to rest on Aigis's lap at the end of P3, he dies. That's what officially happens, even in the pre-FES version of the game, but it could easily be misinterpreted as him just falling asleep.

Then, in The Answer, it's plainly stated that the protagonist died. But even worse than that is the general plot progression in The Answer, which is largely an excuse to fragment the party into factions and revive a sense of petty idiocy that the characters had all gotten over by the end of The Journey. Also, it's a grind-heavy dungeon crawl with none of the social elements of The Journey.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. I had no idea how old this thread was.

Well, some other guy bumped it again, so don't feel that bad.

Anyway, I have only recently beaten it. It seems like one of Persona 3's main themes is facing your own death (memento mori is painted all over the opening song), and it isn't like his death wasn't hinted at (here, sign this contract and promise to stick to it).

It wasn't a bad ending. I thought it was a pretty damn good one, better than Persona 4's even. It fit the themes of the plot. I thought it was pretty clear at the end that he was dead. Aigis is crying, you spend three days with people telling you that you look really tired, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.