Tips for a noobie?

#1 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

I'm going to be picking this game up tomorrow and then will begin to play through it.  

Do you guys have any tips for a new player?

#2 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

When doing Social links, always have a Persona with you that is the same type as the Social link, you will progress with the Social link faster then.

#3 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

How grind heavy is the game? More or less than Persona 4?

#4 Edited by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

If you have a PSP, and you're familiar with Persona's mechanics through the endurance run, you may want to pick up P3P over P3: FES. P3P added a lot of the improvements from Persona 4 into Persona 3, such as the ability to directly command team mates in battle, guarding in battle, and non-degradable Social Links, as well as other things like changing the way the exhaustion system works so you can spend longer in Tartarus and part time jobs.  

It's a shame you lose a lot of the 3D in game stuff in favour of a portable friendly point and click interface (only certain cutscenes, Tartarus and battles are done with 3D models) and you don't get FES (although some of FES's extras like weapon synthesis and extra quests are still in there, as well as the Hall of Doors dungeon), but it might be easier for you to adapt to Persona 3 without some of the original games odd little quirks.

#5 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

When you get knocked-down in P3, you can't act on the same turn you get up. However, if you get hit while down you get up immediately and can act on your upcoming turn. All of that also applies to monsters, and you can use this to cheese if necessary.

#6 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

I haven't played through any Personas yet, but got them all because of the endurance run.  I got FES because of The Answer.  I always get a version of the game that has the most complete plot.  (I know a lot of people didn't like The Answer, for whatever reason, but even if it's a bad epilogue, I still need that epilogue.  That's why I have the Blues Brothers 2000 DVD on my shelf next to the original.)

Hopefully I can manage in FES, but after watching the Endurance Run, I'm still not sure I'll be able to figure out fusing Persona.  I get that some of both Persona's skills will transfer to the new thing, but I don't know which ones to fuse and when.  Why couldn't/wouldn't you just keep the ones you have so they level up really high?

#7 Posted by shadyspace (457 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
" I haven't played through any Personas yet, but got them all because of the endurance run.  I got FES because of The Answer.  I always get a version of the game that has the most complete plot.  (I know a lot of people didn't like The Answer, for whatever reason, but even if it's a bad epilogue, I still need that epilogue.  That's why I have the Blues Brothers 2000 DVD on my shelf next to the original.)  Hopefully I can manage in FES, but after watching the Endurance Run, I'm still not sure I'll be able to figure out fusing Persona.  I get that some of both Persona's skills will transfer to the new thing, but I don't know which ones to fuse and when.  Why couldn't/wouldn't you just keep the ones you have so they level up really high? "
You're shown what skills you'll get from a fuse. And fused personas get substantial level boosts provided it's a good combination. Just experiment, if it's a fusion worth doing it'll be obvious. 
#8 Posted by SpaceDandie (256 posts) -
@fenixREVOLUTION said:
" I'm going to be picking this game up tomorrow and then will begin to play through it.   Do you guys have any tips for a new player? "
Glad to see I'm not the only one just starting Persona! After watching the endurance run, I jumped on Amazon a few days ago and ordered a PS2 slim and P4. Best Decision Ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.