Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Why does Jeff hate these characters so much?

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Darkstar614

On the bombcast this week (10/27/09) Jeff said that he doesn't care about any of the characters in this game. I think he's said this on the bombcast before as well to some extent.  Comparing them to the P4 characters, I could maybe agree that they're less interesting. But I don't think thats a reason to just shrug them off completely.

Junpei is pretty awesome
    Yukari is okay
    Mitsuru is okay
    Akihiko is okay
    Ken is cool
    Koromaru is awesome
    Aegis is okay (.. for a robot)
    Shinjiro is a fucking badass ( "Adios Asshole!" )
    Fuuka is okay

Other characters all fit their roles
    Jin is awesome
    Takaya is awesome
    Chidori is okay   

Social Link characters are all pretty fun, especially Online Gamer.

Anyone else agreeing with Jeff here and just not caring for these characters? I think they're fine... and P3 is a great game.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AgentofChaos

Jeff has a tendency to be a bit of a downer, or to say it simply he is not an optimist.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Expletive

I haven't played the game, but after Watching all of The ER I agree that it would be tough to care about other characters than the ones in P4. 

I don't thinks it's that Jeff thinks the P3 characters are bad, just that he loves the P4 characters so much.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrGetBonus

Maybe after 100 hours he'd change his tune?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I've played it for about twenty-five hours and goddamnit, do they talk way too much in combat. 
    Not only do they talk too much, but they repeat dialogue so often that I'll try to shut them up any way I can. 
    That and how everyone that's in my party so far (Up to Aegis) actually calls it the All-Out-Attack, it drives me insane. 

It's worth noting though that I haven't listened to the Bombcast this week yet nor have I finished FES though, so maybe it changes?
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

The characters are more anime and less human than the characters in P4.  They definitely step over the melodrama line a few times too often.  If you can get over that you might care about them, though.  Also, Aigis is either horribly written or horribly localized.  And the voice acting is more hit-or-miss than in P4.  Otherwise, it's still a great game. 

Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Storphrax
    @EvilTwin said:

" The characters are more anime and less human than the characters in P4.  They definitely step over the melodrama line a few times too often.  If you can get over that you might care about them, though.  Also, Aigis is either horribly written or horribly localized.  And the voice acting is more hit-or-miss than in P4.  Otherwise, it's still a great game.  "

Pretty much this. The characters are defiantly more believable in P4 than in P3.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

After the only 100 hours of the Persona franchise I've seen being P4 I can also state that I do not give a rat's ass about any other characters from and other game in the series.

It takes time spent playing/watching a game to care about its characters, I spent 1/4 of the ER not caring about any of the characters in P4. You have to let them grow on you before you care about them. I think Jeff's saying that after spending so long playing P4 he no longer wants to commit to 25 hours or how long it is to bond with the characters in these other games in the series, which is understandable. I wouldn't either.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ChrisTaran
    Let me blow your minds with the actual answer:

Be warned, this is going to be a doozy...

He doesn't actually hate the characters and people bored with nothing else to talk about will make up bullshit topics like this to create fake drama!

Holy crap, MIND BLOWING.

He's never played Persona 3, all he's really saying is he likes the P4 characters so much, that when (or if) he eventually plays P3P, he has such a preset fondness for the likes of Chie and the gang, that he's more looking forward to seeing whatever kind of cameos they might make.

End of story.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By metal_mills

Well even you put 6 of the characters as only ok. That's not that great.

moji22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moji22
    @ChrisTaran: 

This. I know Jeff does hate a lot of things, but I doubt he even remotely hatesP3 or its cast, especially without even playing the game.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Insectecutor

I played P3 for a bit and couldn't quite get over the rotten music (like in the HQ with the rapping that sounds like a pitch-shifted white guy going  "YEEEEH MOVE YO BOWADY BU DON HURT NOBOWADY! YEEEEEEEEEH!") or the fact that the battle system is nerfed so the only control I have over my party is vague tactical commands. I only picked up P3 after watching the P4 endurance run and I came to it understanding it would be more primitive, tried to get used to it and failed. The anime cutscenes are really cool though.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Darkstar614
    @ChrisTaran:  Yeah I may be being a bit dramatic about this, but it just doesn't seem like he even gave them a chance.  If that is not "don't judge a book by it's cover" then I don't know what is. Of course, he can say whatever the hell he wants.. and we can try and understand where he's coming from. But it's not "fake drama".
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " @ChrisTaran:  Yeah I may be being a bit dramatic about this, but it just doesn't seem like he even gave them a chance.  If that is not "don't judge a book by it's cover" then I don't know what is. Of course, he can say whatever the hell he wants.. and we can try and understand where he's coming from. But it's not "fake drama". "
    When he eventually plays P3P, which it sounds like he will, and he actually gives the characters a chance, I'm sure he'll end up liking at least a few of them.  Personally, I can't imagine not really liking Junpei if nothing else.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

I went into Persona 3 thinking the same thing as Jeff, and sure enough, when Junpei first showed up, I was definitely thinking "well, he's no Yosuke."

Well,  after 120+ hours with the game over the last couple months, that opinion certainly changed. Funnily enough, it was Junpei's character that grew on me, the most. All the rest of the main cast are pretty awesome, too. I will say that there were a number of side social link characters that I just found abysmally boring, but to be fair, P4 had a few of those, too. I'd say Jeff would grow to like them about the same as the characters from P4, given enough time. I'd also say that I'd be up for a P3 endurance run, and think it would be different enough, but obviously still have the vibe that only a Persona game can bring. Of course, now I have to hit myself for joining the "Giant Bomb should do *insert game here* for their next endurance run!" crowd.

If anything, the game is worth the time just to hear the final, final boss music (Burn My Dread).

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

P3 is a much gloomier game with much more generic characters. The reason why people argue that P3 is better than P4 is because of the grinding and depth that Tartarus provides, as well as the more emotionally story, which Jeff don't give no damn about. 
    Also: Jeff just doesn't want to play Persona 4 with different characters. After spending 100 hours with the Investigation Team, it is kinda hard to get used to the blander characters of P3.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17  Edited By Ping5000

I thought pretty much all the characters in P3 suffered from either being way too precocious or incredibly childish, which I guess might mean the same thing in P3's context. I ended up either not caring for or being irritated by P3's cast. Complete opposite with P4, though.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Do we even know he actually hates them? I always thought he hasn't had experience with these characters so he just prefers P4's cast. Having beat P4 and P3 FES, I prefer P4's characters but still enjoy P3's.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By apathylad

I enjoyed P3 a lot, although the game is much different tone-wise when compared to P4. I imagine that Jeff would find the Persona 3 characters and story to be too emo and serious, but nevertheless I still think the game has its charms. Looking back, I could see some saying that the characters in Persona 3 were stereotypes: The rich girl (Mitsuru), the shy girl (Fuuka), the jock (Akihiko), etc.

Still, shooting yourself in the head > breaking tarot cards, when it comes to summoning Personas. :P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

Jeff hasn't even played P3 yet.  I'm not sure why we should get the impression that he hates the game's cast.

reptilia_kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By reptilia_kun

bottomline: p4 cast was more colorful, vibrant and alive which complimented the anime feel which i'm a fan of. as for the p3 cast, they  were all deep and emotional; you felt their character development throughout the whole game due to the tragedies they had.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

I like the P3 group more than the P4 one, so different people have a right to have different tastes.  Even among the P4 group, I like some more than others.  I'm a stronger fan of Yukiko than Chie, but the ER guys had a stronger connection to the plucky girl in the green jacket.  Does that mean that they hate Yukiko?  I don't think so, and it doesn't mean I dislike Chie either.  All it means is that I have a different opinion.  Jeff has since said that he would go back and play P3 when P3P comes out.  I think he was pretty burned out on Persona in general after the whole ER came to a close.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " Well even you put 6 of the characters as only ok. That's not that great. "
    That, and Junpei is a giant douche, so I can't really agree with their list.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By luce
    @ChrisTaran said:

" Let me blow your minds with the actual answer:

Be warned, this is going to be a doozy...

He doesn't actually hate the characters and people bored with nothing else to talk about will make up bullshit topics like this to create fake drama!  Holy crap, MIND BLOWING.

He never said anything about hating persona 3 characters. He said he's not really that interested in characters from other persona games (including that persona remake for psp) but that may change.

It's not about him hating persona 3, It's more about him having a very strong connection to Persona 4 that he doubts can be transferred.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

Just so we're clear, Jeff has not played Persona 3. He does not know the characters, and I don't think he's ever claimed to hate them. He just doesn't think he'll like the characters in Persona 3 as much as he did the characters in Persona 4. It's not that he has a problem with Persona 3's cast; rather it's a testament to how much he liked Persona 4's cast.

He doesn't expect to like Persona 3's characters as much as he liked Persona 4's characters. And you know what? A lot of people felt the same way about Persona 4 before they played it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

Jeff hates everything that he doesn't know first hand that he likes. Also, after watching some footage of P3, I know that I like the characters in P4 much better.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By animateria
    @Apathylad said:
    " I enjoyed P3 a lot, although the game is much different tone-wise when compared to P4. I imagine that Jeff would find the Persona 3 characters and story to be too emo and serious, but nevertheless I still think the game has its charms. Looking back, I could see some saying that the characters in Persona 3 were stereotypes: The rich girl (Mitsuru), the shy girl (Fuuka), the jock (Akihiko), etc.  Still, shooting yourself in the head > breaking tarot cards, when it comes to summoning Personas. :P "
    Yeah... P4 totally doesn't have it's stereotypes.

Yukiko is totally not different Fuuka, and Chie isn't similar to Yukari, and Yosuke isn't another Junpei...

All the characters in both games are variations on popular stereotypes.

They don't need to have the same background, or share all the same characteristics to be the same stereotype you know.

I personally think both casts are similarly likable or dis-likable in very similar ways. I tend to like similar characters from the two and I don't think that's a coincidence.

In a lot of aspects, as I touched in other older posts, the games are very similar, right down to the major plot twists.

As a P3 player I already knew the culprit of P4 fairly early on.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Milkman

He doesn't hate them. He just doesn't care. And considering he's never played the game , why would he care?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Gunner

Cause none of them are Chie.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brendan
    @Darkstar614:
    He was referencing his love for the P4 characters and how his commitment to them through the ER makes it hard to care about the other games like he would P4.  I believe you took that comment too literally.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By animateria
    @gakon5 said:
    " @animateria said:
    "Yukiko is totally not different Fuuka, and Chie isn't similar to Yukari, and Yosuke isn't another Junpei... "
    Dude, no way.  No way.  Junpei is your bro.  Yosuke is most definitely not a "bro" archetype.  All he does the back half of Persona 4 is yell anyway.  What Persona 5 needs is a bro.  Yosuke is not bro enough, frankly. "
    I'd have to agree actually...  

Aside from the goofy nature.

Junpei was totally my main man. Yosuke is a bit of the the jealous type. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.