Destructoid's review of P3P

• 56 results
#1 Edited by ChrisOVC (133 posts) -
#2 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Hahaha  Destructoid makes me laugh

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Destructoid, you're so cute

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

They gave Deadly Premonition a 10, Red Dead Redemption a 9.0 (ish), and Peace Walker an 8 (ish). Now I like Deadly Premonition as much as anybody else, but I can't take any of the reviews seriously when their scores are so out of whack. 

#5 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Nice, was looking forward to it.

#6 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

I'll just wait and see if GB puts up a review.

#7 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" They gave Deadly Premonition a 10, Red Dead Redemption a 9.0 (ish), and Peace Walker an 8 (ish). Now I like Deadly Premonition as much as anybody else, but I can't take any of the reviews seriously when their scores are so out of whack.  "
The Deadly Premonition review wasn't serious. The guy (Jim Sterling, professional troll -- who didn't write the P3P review, by the way) was basically just trolling everyone who liked Heavy Rain -- go read it, and you'll see what I mean.
#8 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -
@Lemoncookie01 said:
"I'll just wait and see if GB puts up a review. "

They won't. 
Also, The PS2 version of Persona 3 is superior.
#9 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if scores are all over the board for this.  I know a lot of the pre-release scores have been very high (I wrote the official thread for the game on NeoGAF so I've been monitoring scores to add to the reviews section), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of scores more in line with RPGFan's 75% start coming out when people see how much has been changed.

#10 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -

Persona 3 is awesome. Who cares what the review scores are?

#11 Posted by DystopiaX (5359 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" They gave Deadly Premonition a 10, Red Dead Redemption a 9.0 (ish), and Peace Walker an 8 (ish). Now I like Deadly Premonition as much as anybody else, but I can't take any of the reviews seriously when their scores are so out of whack.  "
The Deadly Premonition review wasn't serious. The guy (Jim Sterling, professional troll -- who didn't write the P3P review, by the way) was basically just trolling everyone who liked Heavy Rain -- go read it, and you'll see what I mean. "
I fucking hate Jim sterling, as much as I hate the guy the Screened podcast was talking about who hated Toy Story 3 for dumb reasons.
#12 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" I fucking hate Jim sterling, as much as I hate the guy the Screened podcast was talking about who hated Toy Story 3 for dumb reasons. "
Wait, what?
#13 Posted by CrazyBagMan (858 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
The thing is that destructoid isn't one person. I don't know for certain, but I'd be surprised if all of the games you listed were reviewed by the same person. And if they were your argument would hold a lot more water in my opinon. Maybe I'm just crazy, but their sometimes "out of whack" review scores give me the perception that maybe they just let their reviewers give games whatever they actually feel it deserves. But that's just me and I'm an idiot.
#14 Posted by Brendan (8120 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" I fucking hate Jim sterling, as much as I hate the guy the Screened podcast was talking about who hated Toy Story 3 for dumb reasons. "
Wait, what? "

Please, continue.
#15 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

For everyone that keeps citing Jim Sterling's Deadly Premonition review, Sterling is one person.  He does not write all of the content on the site, nor does the site bow to his every opinion.

#16 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @DystopiaX said:
Wait, what? "
Please, continue. "
He means Armond White. Ebert has called him a troll, and Alex said something about White sounding retarded.
#17 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I don't get why the hell people find this funny. Persona 4 and Persona 3 rank highly among my favorite games of all time and are probably just behind Shadow of the Colossus as my favorite games of the last consoles, and a Persona 3 with some of the new, fantastic systems of Persona 4 brings tears to my eyes with joy. 
My one problem is that me and my PSP aren't on the best terms, and isn't something I'm gonna have in my pocket 24/7, like my iPhone. While asking for an iPhone port of such a big game is unreasonable, and I'll probably pick up the PSP version anyways, one can only hope one day, I will have my Persona with me everywhere.

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -
@Red: I think people take issue with the fact that a port that very much diminished the presentation of the game (no more anime cutscenes, barely any more in-engine cutscenes, exploration changed to a menu)--even if it was potentially the right move--is getting such high scores, especially from Destructoid whose review department is tainted by their affiliation with Jim Sterling.
#19 Posted by DystopiaX (5359 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @Brendan said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @DystopiaX said:
Wait, what? "
Please, continue. "
He means Armond White. Ebert has called him a troll, and Alex said something about White sounding retarded. "

And then I read the review, and it was retarded. 
And he also said Jonah hex was better than Toy story 3, which is definitely not true.
#20 Edited by Ulong (447 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

" @Red: I think people take issue with the fact that a port that very much diminished the presentation of the game (no more anime cutscenes, barely any more in-engine cutscenes, exploration changed to a menu)--even if it was potentially the right move--is getting such high scores, especially from Destructoid whose review department is tainted by their affiliation with Jim Sterling. "

None of those changes amount to anything near the positive changes though. Controlling ai characters in battle,2 MC's to chose from with a bunch of new social links, gaurd command, etc. Those are way more important than a couple crappy anime cutscences that I never cared for anyway, and I really don't see how moving my mouse cursor over someone in the Classroom location is any different than walking over to them in a way that impacts my enjoyment.
The game was improved in multiple gameplay ways, and only weakened in superficial asthetic type ways, a 10/10 makes sense for me.
#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -
@Ulong I disagree that the presentation is superficial, as it added to my enjoyment of the game (and I can tell you right now that if they do a P4P that's exactly like this, these kinds of changes would make me not want to play it).  It just doesn't matter to me because I've already experienced it that way.
#22 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -

From my experience with the guy, Dale North is an insane otaku who will love anything that Japan pumps out.

#23 Posted by Jeust (10852 posts) -
#24 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

...they also gave persona 3, fes, and 4 perfect scores as well? 

I love the S.Link Personas but jeez...all perfects?

#25 Edited by Ulong (447 posts) -
@iAmJohn: Right, you can rank presentation how you want, but different people have different opinions on how important asthetics are. If someone say thought persona 3 was a 9/10 or 8/10 game. And then they played P3P which only improves the gameplay, while only hurting the asthetics, you have to be able to see why somoene might consider the game to be a 10/10, regardless of whether you disagree and place more weight on appearances.

I would also argue that Destructoids review criteria makes them not allowed to downrate this game due to appearances being lower than on the PS2. Just look at there review description: 
(10s are as close to perfect as you will get in a genre or on a platform. Pure, untarnished videogame ecstasy.)  
 The score takes into account the platform it is on, and a psp has limitations in terms of graphics and memory compared to a ps2.

I'm not actually very familiar with desctructoid, but seeing as that part of there review system seems to have taken, atleast partially, a stance of "graphics are not as important as gameplay", I like them, from what little I know. 

At the end of the day, Gameplay is a hell of alot more important than graphics; Story is a hell of alot more important than graphics.  If a game adds a bunch of new gameplay stuff, as well as a bunch of new story stuff, while only minorly hurting the graphics, that's a huge improvment over the original.
#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Metacritic's showing that 5 media outlets have given the game 100%, in fact, that's more reviewers giving the game 100% then giving it less. The game is probably pretty good...

#27 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Damn. We don't even get our review copy until Tuesday.

#28 Posted by Deusoma (3031 posts) -
@DystopiaX: 
Yeah, read up on that guy, looks like he literally just chooses to go against whatever popular opinion of a movie is when he's writing his reviews. Which is annoying for me, because I actually really liked Transformers 2, and it's difficult enough to convince people that it's not a terrible movie without a Professional Troll like him writing a satirically positive review just because all the other critics hated it. :P
#29 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" From my experience with the guy, Dale North is an insane otaku who will love anything that Japan pumps out. "
yeah, the 10 rating was to be expected from Dale. I think I remember a year or two ago on a podcast he listed his favorite games he had played that year- half of them were SMT games. And pretty much every Japan-oriented post Destructoid puts out, Dale's the one covering it. Not necessarily a diss on him, it's just like asking a "bro" if they like Call of Duty- you know the answer already.
#30 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
I think the original P3 deserved a score between the 7-8 range, and FES a firm 8(I'd give P4 a 10:P)These changes sound very, very nice. And the streamlining of the city exploration sounds like a godsend, but I can't really shake of the feeling of ''cash in'' when this is the THIRD version of Persona 3 out there. It took them three tries to get it ''right'' and even in this 3rd edition, they didn't fix the game's crappy pacing and  some of the more retarded story bits.

@iAmJohn said:
" @Ulong I disagree that the presentation is superficial, as it added to my enjoyment of the game (and I can tell you right now that if they do a P4P that's exactly like this, these kinds of changes would make me not want to play it).  It just doesn't matter to me because I've already experienced it that way. "

I wish I was strong enough to resist my desire for more Persona 4, but.... if they added a creepy-raper-guy social link or an alternate side-story thing, I'd buy it day 1:( despite my distaste for these recent Persona cash ins. Still, remake Persona 2, goddamit>:(

@MikeHawk said:
" @Milkman said:
" From my experience with the guy, Dale North is an insane otaku who will love anything that Japan pumps out. "
yeah, the 10 rating was to be expected from Dale. I think I remember a year or two ago on a podcast he listed his favorite games he had played that year- half of them were SMT games. And pretty much every Japan-oriented post Destructoid puts out, Dale's the one covering it. Not necessarily a diss on him, it's just like asking a "bro" if they like Call of Duty- you know the answer already. "
I don't see anything wrong with that, seeing how the guys on this site are basically the same 'cept for western games. Besides, there's nothing wrong with citing SMT games as your favourites.  

They're all solid-ass RPG's each with its own unique/refreshing setting and battle system. Its not really the same as someone who has multiple COD games on his list as his favourites, seeing how SMT games tend to be wildly different from each other in both tone and gameplay.
#31 Edited by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

Basically if you're a fan of the Persona series, you'll like this one. Since Persona is my new Final Fantasy, that definitely includes me. The kooky story changes are pretty much a fanservice... I mean, if you haven't played Persona 3 in either of the available iterations by now, what's going to make you go out and buy the freaking PSP version (assuming you actually own one of the things). I'm pretty sure this game *is* just a cash-in meant for fans of the game and not for newbies to the series/this game in particular. If you wanted the full Persona 3 experience, you'd probably buy FES so you can get the "finished" story in the answer (though personally I think The Answer is pretty much bogus nonsense you should avoid and just youtube one or two parts if you're really that interested).

#32 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -

Fuck it! I don't care what anyone else thinks of this game I just wanna get it so I date boys!

#33 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

If you wanted the full Persona 3 experience, you'd probably buy FES so you can get the "finished" story in the answer (though personally I think The Answer is pretty much bogus nonsense you should avoid and just youtube one or two parts if you're really that interested). "

Don't worry, this is an objective truth.
#34 Posted by AutisticAngel (138 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

" @AndrewB said:

If you wanted the full Persona 3 experience, you'd probably buy FES so you can get the "finished" story in the answer (though personally I think The Answer is pretty much bogus nonsense you should avoid and just youtube one or two parts if you're really that interested). "

Don't worry, this is an objective truth. "
I don't often post on the forums here, but I wanted lean in long enough to "Third!" this.  "The Journey" portion of Persona 3: FES was a great experience, full of memorable characters and meaningful choices on how to spend a limited amount of time -- I wrote up a long post about it elsewhere, but I'm concerned it would be poor form to start linking out to other forums.

"The Answer," by contrast, was absolute garbage: a chintzy post-story expansion thrown together to cash in on the affection players had for the original, but totally stripped of all the things that made it enjoyable in the first place.  The time management aspect was gone.  There were no school days, no weekend activities, and no S-Links.  That meant no bonus experience for fused personas, and since the Compendium was also removed from the game, every fusion was huge gamble that whatever you gained would be better than the 2 - 3 things you lost.

Worst of all, they greatly increased the combat difficulty and -- I swear to God -- dumbed down the friendly AI.  Your party members refuse to exploit known enemy weaknesses.  Most of the time, they'll insist on spamming pointless "charm" and "panic" attacks instead.  That's when you're lucky.  Other times, it's more like active sabotage.  In one battle, one of my "allies" repeatedly used her area-effect ice attack against a trio of bosses, despite the fact that it only damaged one and healed the others, and ignoring the fact that she had a more powerful single-target version in her arsenal.

I spent over twenty hours beating my head against ludicrous boss fights and the two-timing party AI before I gave up and simply watched the end on YouTube.  Without delving into spoilers, I can say that the meandering, overwrought story actually got progressively stupider all the way through the end, transforming an incredibly likable cast into squabbling, backbiting jerks who I was glad to be rid of.   

Do not play "The Answer."    It's one of those rare extensions that is so bad, it can retroactively damage your appreciation for the original.  Persona 3 Portable is a better package without it.

-Autistic Angel
#35 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -
#36 Posted by apoptosis61 (568 posts) -

you just cant take seriously this site....

#37 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3508 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

The DP review was a joke...they also reviewed Ekans (the pokemon) and gave it a ten. Like it is a review score on the internet for a video game. It's not deciding the country's economy, so it doesn't really matter what score they give it. I know reviews matter for the sake of consumers, but it is more about the written review. The only reason Destructoid started using scores was to get on Metacritic. The first year or so they just had a Buy it/Rent it/Skip it system. As an aside, I think RDR is a 9ish game. It's leaps and bounds better than anything Rockstar has done in years, and definitely their best game to date. Like, GTA IV is almost a joke in comparison. I feel like it's comparing CoD2 to MW2.  

As for the P3P review. This guy obviously loves Atlus games and is really good at RPGs. A very well made Atlus RPG that's portable is probably going to get a high score. And at dtoid, like Giant Bomb a 10 or 5 doesn't mean the game is absolutely, definitively perfect in every imaginable way to the point where everyone on earth needs to experience it.  @RVonE said:

" @Lemoncookie01 said:

They won't. Also, The PS2 version of Persona 3 is superior. "
How? I know it has less things in it, isn't portable, is harder/slower to navigate the town, and has the crappy grindfest "the answer", but yeah.  
@MikeHawk said: 

@Milkman said: 

yeah, the 10 rating was to be expected from Dale. I think I remember a year or two ago on a podcast he listed his favorite games he had played that year- half of them were SMT games. And pretty much every Japan-oriented post Destructoid puts out, Dale's the one covering it. Not necessarily a diss on him, it's just like asking a "bro" if they like Call of Duty- you know the answer already. "
Well he tried to review Demon's Souls but couldn't. But he just likes RPGs and can beat them crazy fast. Like he beat Persona 4 in like a week or something crazy like that. And like he still has a job and everything.     
#38 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi said:
  @RVonE said:

" @Lemoncookie01 said:

How? I know it has less things in it, isn't portable, is harder/slower to navigate the town, and has the crappy grindfest "the answer", but yeah.  
  "

Well, for example, there is the whole fact that you can actually walk around in the world that makes the game far less abstract than the P3P version. While it is slower I wouldn't call that harder; it actually facilitates immersion and strengthens the role play. Also, I don't see how portability is a plus. Oh, you like looking at that small screen for 90 hours?
#39 Edited by Ulong (447 posts) -
@RVonE said:

" @Dan_CiTi said:

@RVonE said:

" @Lemoncookie01 said:

"
Well, for example, there is the whole fact that you can actually walk around in the world that makes the game far less abstract than the P3P version. While it is slower I wouldn't call that harder; it actually facilitates immersion and strengthens the role play. Also, I don't see how portability is a plus. Oh, you like looking at that small screen for 90 hours? "
You're really over rating the walking the environment around versus moving a cursor around the environment.

People really weight stuff like walking around town higher than being able to control your party members, more social links, and an entirely new female MC you can play as?

Edit: My reply to you assumed you were one of the crazy people who actually thinks the PS2 version is outright superior. My apolagies if that was not the case, it could be you're just someone who misses that one feature but doesn't think the ps2 version is full on superior.

Kind of like how I misses being able to split your party members up individually running around when I play persona 4, but still knew persona 4 was the way better game.
#40 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@RVonE said:
" @Dan_CiTi said:
  @RVonE said:

" @Lemoncookie01 said:

"
Well, for example, there is the whole fact that you can actually walk around in the world that makes the game far less abstract than the P3P version. While it is slower I wouldn't call that harder; it actually facilitates immersion and strengthens the role play. Also, I don't see how portability is a plus. Oh, you like looking at that small screen for 90 hours? "
Nope.

But, as an adult who does not live by himself at home, I'm incapable of hogging the TV for myself for more then a couple of hours a week. 

Also, traveling in Persona 3 fucking sucked. I don't see why anyone would enjoy artificially lengthening the gametime by 10 hours for something as superflous like that.
#41 Posted by tokyochicken (849 posts) -

Dale North is a BIG Atlus fan--actually most of Dtoid is, so this score isn't necessarily surprising. Also, why is it so crazy that Persona 3 is getting a good score? It's not like it's a BAD game. 

#42 Edited by RVonE (4699 posts) -
@Ulong said:

"@RVonE said:

" @Dan_CiTi said:

@RVonE said:

" @Lemoncookie01 said:

"
You're really over rating the walking the environment around versus moving a cursor around the environment.  People really weight stuff like walking around town higher than being able to control your party members, more social links, and an entirely new female MC you can play as?  Edit: My reply to you assumed you were one of the crazy people who actually thinks the PS2 version is outright superior. My apolagies if that was not the case, it could be you're just someone who misses that one feature but doesn't think the ps2 version is full on superior.  Kind of like how I misses being able to split your party members up individually running around when I play persona 4, but still knew persona 4 was the way better game. "

More stuff isn't necessarily better. The fact that you can manually control partymembers during battle is, of course, the best aspect of P3P. That said, the ability to walk around in the world and characters aren't only represented by their portraits in conversation carries a lot of weight for me. While I like the new battle system (the inclusion of a female protagonist doesn't do much for me), I think I'd rather sacrifice that in favor of a less abstract experience outside of the dungeons. This is why I feel that P3FES is superior, but I can understand if others value the additions more than I do.

@mutha3 said:

Nope.  But, as an adult who does not live by himself at home, I'm incapable of hogging the TV for myself for more then a couple of hours a week.    Also, traveling in Persona 3 fucking sucked. I don't see why anyone would enjoy artificially lengthening the gametime by 10 hours for something as superflous like that. "

I can understand the part about the TV. That's why I own two TVs :)
I do not share your sentiment regarding the artificial lengthening, though. I really feel that it adds to the immersion. But again, I can understand why you would prefer it this way.
#43 Edited by Ulong (447 posts) -

Rvone had a pretty reasonable response. Even though I still think he's crazy :P

Edit though I would argue with the "more stuff isn't neccisarilly better" in the case of persona 3 every addition was an improvment basically.

Heck, some of the stuff they took away was even an improvment if you consider the answer... Despite aigis being my favourite character (check avatar), the answer was awful.

#44 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@RVonE said:

@mutha3 said:

Nope.  But, as an adult who does not live by himself at home, I'm incapable of hogging the TV for myself for more then a couple of hours a week.    Also, traveling in Persona 3 fucking sucked. I don't see why anyone would enjoy artificially lengthening the gametime by 10 hours for something as superflous like that. "

I can understand the part about the TV. That's why I own two TVs :) I do not share your sentiment regarding the artificial lengthening, though. I really feel that it adds to the immersion. But again, I can understand why you would prefer it this way. "
Well....I was just being obtuse in the first place:P I do have multiple TV sets, the real problem to me  is the laziness that comes with turning on a console, and the fact that I can take my PSP/DS with me wherever I want(even on the crapper!) and get my fix. Because of this, I am capable of spending time on portable games about 5 times as much as home consoles.
#45 Posted by Ulong (447 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @RVonE said:

@mutha3 said:

I can understand the part about the TV. That's why I own two TVs :) I do not share your sentiment regarding the artificial lengthening, though. I really feel that it adds to the immersion. But again, I can understand why you would prefer it this way. "
Well....I was just being obtuse in the first place:P I do have multiple TV sets, the real problem to me  is the laziness that comes with turning on a console, and the fact that I can take my PSP/DS with me wherever I want(even on the crapper!) and get my fix. Because of this, I am capable of spending time on portable games about 5 times as much as home consoles. "

30 odd hours logged in SMT Strange Journey, almost all on the toilet right here.
#46 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @RVonE said:

@mutha3 said:

Well....I was just being obtuse in the first place:P I do have multiple TV sets, the real problem to me  is the laziness that comes with turning on a console, and the fact that I can take my PSP/DS with me wherever I want(even on the crapper!) and get my fix. Because of this, I am capable of spending time on portable games about 5 times as much as home consoles. "

lol, well maybe the difference is also in the fact that you are capable of spending that much time on a portable system. The tiny screen drives me crazy after an hour of doing anything on it. :) 

@Ulong said:
"Rvone had a pretty reasonable response. Even though I still think he's crazy :P  Edit though I would argue with the "more stuff isn't neccisarilly better" in the case of persona 3 every addition was an improvment basically.  Heck, some of the stuff they took away was even an improvment if you consider the answer... Despite aigis being my favourite character (check avatar), the answer was awful. "

Hmm, I didn't mind the answer that much, but like you said I'm crazy! :)
#47 Posted by Ulong (447 posts) -
@RVonE: But the answer had even less walking around town
#48 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -
@Ulong said:
" @RVonE: But the answer had even less walking around town "

I know, but I like how the majority of the story is so gloomy. And it has Metis!
#49 Posted by drstrawberry (108 posts) -

Sounds perfectly fine too me
#50 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You forgot to put quotation marks around the word "review" as is customary when dealing with Destructoid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.