Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Does The female side count as official canon?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

In my opinion the male side is the official story plot when considering the overall fiction of the persona series, and the female is an alternate reality what if scenario. 
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BradBrains

im sure we wont know for a while. but imma say prolly not

chandoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By chandoo

Well, they're effectively cut off The Answer, which was supposed to be a part of the main canon. Who knows, maybe the changes in this will be big enough to make it a side-project ..

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @chandoo said:
    "Well, they're effectively cut off The Answer, which was supposed to be a part of the main canon. Who knows, maybe the changes in this will be big enough to make it a side-project .. "

if by side project you mean a whole new storyline, then i hope not because i do have other things to do with my life then play persona games.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By eirikr

It doesn't matter who the protagonist is, the outcome of the story is the same.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

In Margaret's social link in Persona 4, she mentions Elizabeth and "that blue-haired boy," neither of whom appear in the girl's side of P3P.  While the the girl's side is an interesting alternate take on the storyline, the actual canon, as far as the continuing Persona universe is concerned, is to my understanding limited to the boy's side.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eirikr

Canon is what Atlus wants to make of it, not necessarily limited to what's in the games.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Supermarius

id say the girl is cannon too. The main character is meant to be a stand-in for you. You decide what he says and does. He is the "zero" remember so hes kinda empty. You fill in what he will be, presumably with your own personality. So he's you. Of course they had to give him one sex or another in the initial releases, but i think thats largely irrelevant.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

@Supermarius: So that's why Margret tells you that Eli ran off to help and save the "blue-haired boy"! Wait, what?

Sorry, I think this is just a gimmick to apologize to fans about cutting off The Answer and not to make an impression that they are selling old content + giving you control of other characters so you wouldn't kill yourself because of Mitsuru. They've already linked the worlds of P3 and P4 in a direct way, that's a serious decision that determines a lot, retconning it would make it as silly as the Heroes of Might and Magic timeline.

Still, I am excited if my annoying, pink-haired chick will be allowed to introduce Fuuka to dark, lesbian magic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think they should give you a female role in the next Persona. I wouldn't hurt.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agent_lost

I guess we have to wait for the game to be out to see. 

On the side note, Do you thing that Atlus is preparing us to have a Female lead in Persona 5. I just asking since there away clue to what the next game will look like.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Agent_Lost said:

"I guess we have to wait for the game to be out to see.   On the side note, Do you thing that Atlus is preparing us to have a Female lead in Persona 5. I just asking since there away clue to what the next game will look like. "

I think if Persona 5 has a female lead that would be pretty cool, as long as they keep it only from a female prospective.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattysen
    @wasteguru said:
    " @chandoo said:
    "Well, they're effectively cut off The Answer, which was supposed to be a part of the main canon. Who knows, maybe the changes in this will be big enough to make it a side-project .. "
    if by side project you mean a whole new storyline, then i hope not because i do have other things to do with my life then play persona games. "
    Woah, WHOLE NEW STORYLINE? No chance, its just some new content here and there, its not like being a female will give you a whole new storyline.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @Eirikr: True, though I was only expressing my thoughts on the current canon as I understand it.  The boy's and girl's sides are the same story and they could go on to reference events in P3 in later games without referring to the main character's gender or appearance specifically, but P4 does acknowledge the existence of Elizabeth and the male lead.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @wasteguru said:
    "

@Agent_Lost said:

"I guess we have to wait for the game to be out to see.   On the side note, Do you thing that Atlus is preparing us to have a Female lead in Persona 5. I just asking since there away clue to what the next game will look like. "

I think if Persona 5 has a female lead that would be pretty cool, as long as they keep it only from a female prospective.

"
    If they have to limit some story aspects of Persona 5 just to make it work with another gender, I'd rather not.  I don't care if it's limited to just a girl or a boy, but I don't want the story to suffer because of it.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

I think Female will probably be exactly the same, just some of the S. Links will be different. 

And she's 22, not 0.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eirikr
    @Hailinel: I think in all honesty it makes sense to see that as a confirmation. However, I'm sure P4 was nearly done production before P3P was even in the initial stages. In that sense, you can't fault a game for not taking into account something that doesn't exist yet. Margie's line was also really a throwaway one at best, anyway. 

But my point is going crazy over what's canon in loosely connected games without many defined threads will likely never give the results many would like to see.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By endaround

The creators talked about wanting to allow choice of gender for the MC so P3P might be a way to test run it.  (I also think it may be a way to try get an engine toegther that can handled a full redoing of P2 including new art assets).  As to whether story has to suffer due to gender choice, Bioware has been allowing gender choice since Baldu's Gate (that means BG, BGII, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age).  Moving from the PS2 to PS3/360 gives enough memory and save space forlots of state vaariables.

chandoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chandoo

This is exactly what i put in the P5 suggestions thread, and this makes sense in P3P's scenario as well, rather than limiting things they should just allow outright character creation so you can choose your MC to your liking.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @chandoo said:
    "This is exactly what i put in the P5 suggestions thread, and this makes sense in P3P's scenario as well, rather than limiting things they should just allow outright character creation so you can choose your MC to your liking. "
    That messes up opening sequences, anime cutscenes, various images in menus, references that other characters make to his physical appearance and his accessories (for example: his headphones by Kenji) and other character appearances (Pharos).  It's pointless and would mess up a bunch of stuff.  If you want a great story, you have to leave as much space as possible to the writers and not limit them with things such as two genders for the main character, various physical appearances and whatnot.  It messes up story and art.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "@chandoo said:
    "This is exactly what i put in the P5 suggestions thread, and this makes sense in P3P's scenario as well, rather than limiting things they should just allow outright character creation so you can choose your MC to your liking. "
    That messes up opening sequences, anime cutscenes, various images in menus, references that other characters make to his physical appearance and his accessories (for example: his headphones by Kenji) and other character appearances (Pharos).  It's pointless and would mess up a bunch of stuff.  If you want a great story, you have to leave as much space as possible to the writers and not limit them with things such as two genders for the main character, various physical appearances and whatnot.  It messes up story and art. "

Exactly, I'm worried that making all future persona games have two gender options will put limitations on the story and events. (scenes from P4 like the camping trip and amagi inn wouldn't work with two genders)
    chandoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chandoo
    @wasteguru said:
    Exactly, I'm worried that making all future persona games have two gender options will put limitations on the story and events. (scenes from P4 like the camping trip and amagi inn wouldn't work with two genders) "

I'm sure with the power and less-restriction based on space of the next gen they can do alternate scenes for moments like those, sure most of the scenes will be "general" with slight gender speech changes based on your character, but for a scene like say the camping trip, you can have separate scenes depending on whether you chose the male or the female character, gives more incentive for a second play through.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chandoo said:

" @wasteguru said:

Exactly, I'm worried that making all future persona games have two gender options will put limitations on the story and events. (scenes from P4 like the camping trip and amagi inn wouldn't work with two genders) "
     I'm sure with the power and less-restriction based on space of the next gen they can do alternate scenes for moments like those, sure most of the scenes will be "general" with slight gender speech changes based on your character, but for a scene like say the camping trip, you can have separate scenes depending on whether you chose the male or the female character, gives more incentive for a second play through. "
    Females and males act differently. Males go for the guys, woman let them or don't. Just being in the scenario with Chie and Yukiko would permeate the actual happenings such as Kanji reaching the girls' tent, while seeing why Kanji became unconscious. It would add TONS of replay value and actually give some damn chicks respect in both Japan and the US. I mean, seriously, the female characters in P4 seem like sex objects more then actual people with interesting pasts and personality (the spa scene, for example).
    chandoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chandoo

P3 Portable will probably be a good litmus test, and i wouldn't be surprised if the sole reason atlus are doing this weird thing with it is for future research.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    "the female characters in P4 seem like sex objects more then actual people with interesting pasts and personality (the spa scene, for example). "
    What are you talking about?  Just because of that scene, they're considered sex objects?  Please, give me more examples.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    I mean, seriously, the female characters in P4 seem like sex objects more then actual people with interesting pasts and personality (the spa scene, for example). "
    That doesn't qualify them as sex objects. They are not. I have yet to see a woman in any Shin Megami Tensei being treated as a mere sex object.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    I mean, seriously, the female characters in P4 seem like sex objects more then actual people with interesting pasts and personality (the spa scene, for example). "
    Are you completely ignorant of their stories being told through the social links? And that scene makes them sex objects? Please humour us by explaining your line of logic on that one.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @Tru3_Blu3: To echo th sentiments of others in this thread, what in the hell are you talking about?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.