Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

How have I missed out on it for this long!?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Aus_azn

Is it pathetic that I only discovered Persona now, and due to my sentiment that nothing good is coming out in the next few months short of Gran Turismo 5? 

Anyway, I have Persona 3 Portable now, and I want to know, what suggestions would you give me on progressing through the game (i.e. what choices to make/links/what to do and when)? I absolutely adore this game, and it is in good contention for my favourite JRPG of all time.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aus_azn

Is it pathetic that I only discovered Persona now, and due to my sentiment that nothing good is coming out in the next few months short of Gran Turismo 5? 

Anyway, I have Persona 3 Portable now, and I want to know, what suggestions would you give me on progressing through the game (i.e. what choices to make/links/what to do and when)? I absolutely adore this game, and it is in good contention for my favourite JRPG of all time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Endurance Run...?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

You should have gotten the PS2 version!

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aus_azn
    @FluxWaveZ: I never watched it. I'm slowly starting to plow through it now that I know what it's about! 

@natetodamax: I wish I still had mine! And the newer PS3s don't have backwards compatibility, so that is really annoying.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @Aus_azn: That's a bummer. You'll miss out on the cute animations and stuff like that but hey, you can play it anywhere! That's an idea that excites me, but I don't have a PSP :(
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

As a general strategy, it's a good idea to spend every waking moment that an s-link is available upping your s-links. When none are available, start focusing on one major stat-boosting activity at a time (usually the best choice is the for-pay arcade at Paulownia Mall, or the different food places at the strip mall type area during the day).  Stats (charm, etc) unlock other s-links, so they're still necessary to raise quickly.

If you're actually looking to max out all s-links, you have to follow a pretty rough and strict schedule. I wouldn't suggest trying because it kind of sucks the enjoyment out of the game. There are enough uninteresting characters you can just skip talking to altogether (the problem is that you lose out on the uber powered persona you get as a reward for maxing s-links, but none of them are truly necessary to have for beating the game on normal difficulty).  I personally think it's best to focus on members of your team just because their stories are far more interesting (and you want to get to know the people you're fighting with!).

You'll probably have an easier time getting more stuff done if you get as much done in Tartarus as you can in a single day for each cycle of the moon. That means leveling up and beating each miniboss/ completing all quests for the month all in as close to one trip as you can manage. The reasoning behind it is that there really is no penalty for getting tired by overworking yourself if you don't actually need to go back to Tartarus anyway, and it frees you up for another evening of s-linking or stat boosting if you don't have to spend that time going back into the dungeon. The disadvantage is that it can get really boring spending so much time in the dungeon at once, and you'll probably have to make multiple trips due to some added missions later in the game. 

Besides that, though, my greatest suggestion is to just play the way you want to play and have fun. Turning into an almost MMO-like grind to get everything perfect sucks the fun out of the game. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Don't worry too much about how to progress through the game. Just enjoy the experience whichever way you want.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Don't worry too much about how to progress through the game. Just enjoy the experience whichever way you want. "
    This.  Going for the most efficient route or anything would have ruined my experience going through Persona 3 FES/Persona 4.  I assume you're playing on Normal?  If so, just grind occasionally and don't do stupid stuff instead of going for some S.Links and you'll be fine.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By natetodamax
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Don't worry too much about how to progress through the game. Just enjoy the experience whichever way you want. "
    This.  Going for the most efficient route or anything would have ruined my experience going through Persona 3 FES/Persona 4.  I assume you're playing on Normal?  If so, just grind occasionally and don't do stupid stuff instead of going for some S.Links and you'll be fine. "
    Persona 3 is definitely not a game that you can take lightly. I learned that the hard way.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @natetodamax said:
    " Persona 3 is definitely not a game that you can take lightly. I learned that the hard way. "
    I took Persona 3 FES lightly without knowing what I was doing for the most part and I did just fine.  I did follow a certain plan of action from time to time, but I still did what I wanted to do for the most part and I hung around with people randomly.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " Persona 3 is definitely not a game that you can take lightly. I learned that the hard way. "
    I took Persona 3 FES lightly without knowing what I was doing for the most part and I did just fine.  I did follow a certain plan of action from time to time, but I still did what I wanted to do for the most part and I hung around with people randomly. "
    I took it lightly at one point and that lead to my death on more than one occasion.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @natetodamax said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    This.  Going for the most efficient route or anything would have ruined my experience going through Persona 3 FES/Persona 4.  I assume you're playing on Normal?  If so, just grind occasionally and don't do stupid stuff instead of going for some S.Links and you'll be fine. "
    Persona 3 is definitely not a game that you can take lightly. I learned that the hard way. "
    As long as you don't put off the boss fights in Tartarus for too long there should be no problem at all. I don't think you can permanently mess up any of the social links either.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I don't think you can permanently mess up any of the social links either. "
    Actually, you can.  In Persona 3, you can reverse Social Links if you don't talk to someone for a long time or you choose a stupid dialog option at one point.  You can also rupture an S.Link, making them permanently unavailable for the rest of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.