New to story/game... start with P3P or P3 (Ps2)?

#1 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1738 posts) -

I'm getting into both Persona 3 and 4, starting with 4 (can you guess why?) I'll finish that first, of course, but when I start Persona 3, should I get the Ps2 version or start out with the psp version? I could use some more psp games... but I don't know if the experience is wholesome enough. What do you veterans out there think?

#2 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3904 posts) -

I'd go for the PSP version. 

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19548 posts) -

I think most people here would say get P3 FES on PS2.

#4 Edited by animateria (3302 posts) -

I prefer the 3d animations on the characters rather than the still portraits on the PSP. There are pretty funny moments using 3D models that would be missed.

I also like the fact that I don't have control over the other characters. Makes them feel like full fedged members rather than just party members. (You just need to change the curser memory settings to remember the orders you gave them.)  This is just a personal thing though. Mechanically the A.I. occasionally fumbles.

Actually I guess you can keep the A.I. do the work in the PSP version too I suppose.

I'm not sure if they have The Answer on the PSP version... If they don't well... The PS2 version is more complete. (Unless you really want to play as a girl).

#5 Posted by Red (6146 posts) -

It depends on whether you want portability, although I would say that if you are playing 4 first, you may want to play with the changes found in P3P.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7856 posts) -

Tricky question since you're playing P4 first but if you care about the story I would suggest playing P3 FES first. It'll be annoying in a few cases as the gameplay mechanics aren't that good in comparison to P4 obviously but you'll survive without any serious problems. If you do end up liking P3 FES a lot then pick up P3P since it adds quite a lot of new content and improvements at the cost of presentation.

#7 Posted by DonutFever (3811 posts) -

Never played FES, but the changes from 4 crossover to P3P.

#8 Posted by OneManX (1709 posts) -

P3P is  FES. There might be some content, but IiRC P3P has all the new content that was added to Persona 3 through FES, including the stuff about the Truth.

The PS2 games have the advantage of the anime cut scenes and the fully rendered cut scenes, but the PSP game has the advantage of being portable allowing for easy pick up and play and the ability to save anywhere is a plus.

#9 Posted by RelentlessKnight (1131 posts) -

just start with P3P, but if you want anime cutscenes and that extra dungeon to the Answer then pick FES

#10 Posted by DonutFever (3811 posts) -
@OneManX said:
" P3P is  FES. There might be some content, but IiRC P3P has all the new content that was added to Persona 3 through FES, including the stuff about the Truth.  The PS2 games have the advantage of the anime cut scenes and the fully rendered cut scenes, but the PSP game has the advantage of being portable allowing for easy pick up and play and the ability to save anywhere is a plus. "
So there was direct control for your party in FES?
#11 Posted by endaround (2237 posts) -

No FES doesn't have direct control

#12 Posted by OneManX (1709 posts) -

Yes P3P took that from Persona 4

#13 Posted by fragilenin (50 posts) -

Since you are going from Persona 4 to Persona 3, go with the PSP version of Persona 3.  You'll be used to the battle system from Persona 4 so it won't be jarring to go to Persona 3 Portable.  If you decided to go to Persona 3 FES from Persona 4, the battle system would be very jarring because you can't control your party.  The A.I isn't that bad but it isn't as good as controlling them yourself.  If you really want to see the anime cutscenes from Persona 3 just go to youtube.  I wouldn't really worry about "The Answer" that is included in Persona 3 FES, it kinda ruins that characters from the original story.  

#14 Posted by Cathryn (574 posts) -

I personally prefer the PSP version, but mainly just due to its versatility, since you can do your first playthrough with the MC, and do a NG+ with the female protagonist (if you've never played P3 before, I'd recommend doing the MC route first).  I definitely miss the character sprites, running around the enviroments, and the cutscenes but the PSP load times are so much quicker and the character portraits in P3P are far more expressive.  Also, like everyone's mentioned, you get direct control over your party members in P3P, so if you think that them doing their own thing is going to tick you off, you're better off going with the PSP for that reason as well.

All in all, I'd say get the PSP version, andwhen you're done the game, watch the cutscenes and The Answer on youtube if you're interested.

#15 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1738 posts) -
@Cathryn: @fragilenin:  

alright, i've decided to go with P3P. Also, you can do a NG+ from an original Male MC character into a FeMC? If so, that is awesome. This seems like the proper version of the game for me, and if I'm that desperate for story stuff, then I'll check it out on youtube or buy a used copy.
Also... one thing... can you still reveal your identity to "Maya" after the social link (looked it up on youtube... hilarity)? 

thank you everyone for the opinions!
#16 Posted by SonicFire (875 posts) -
@JJOR64:  

I'd agree. While the PSP version is streamlined, do you really want to play a 100+ hour game on a handheld, one with reduced graphics and interface?
#17 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

Get FES just because it has The Answer arc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.