Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Persona 3 makes me angry.

• 55 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm in that weird limbo between taking an exam and waiting for the consequential set of very important results. 

There's nothing I can do now but sit and quietly panic about the fact that I could have potentially fucked up. There is no longer anything I can do about it. That's unhealthy. That's got to be unhealthy. Right? 

No Caption Provided

I'm trying to keep myself busy with my existing videogames, seeing as I can't afford new ones. I spent my last £5 watching Scott Pilgrim at the cinema (It's awesome) and then borrowed £5 so I could buy Scott Pilgrim on XBLA (also awesome). I'm also trying to get excited for Forza 3, though my usual interaction is to open the decal designer and silently imagine it's vast potential before becoming completely overwhelmed and turning off the television. 

Sort of like this. Except nothing like this.
    The one game I have been playing in abundance is Epic Mafia. Epic Mafia is a free browser based game where players are given random roles, each with a unique ability, and divided into two groups - mafia and villagers. The mafia know how each other are but the villagers are all anonymous. The villagers have to find and lynch one person each day to try and remove all the mafia from the game. The mafia meanwhile are picking one person from the village each night and killing them. It's a game that revolves around intense mind fuckery. If you are a mafia you need to convince the villagers you aren't, usually by pretending to be somebody else. If you are a villager you need to help find the mafia, but without singling yourself out as a direct threat for the mafia to target. There's lots of backstabbing, uncertainty, misinformation and contradictions. All valuable life skills. Just ask HS21

Speaking of fucked up social interactions

i'm also playing Persona 3 on my brothers PSP. It's... weird. It's certainly not Persona 4. There are big (bigger) gaps in the storyline that are completely un-nerving. I frequently find myself completely dumbfounded by the nonsense that Persona 3 requests me to swallow. There are plot holes everywhere, and the story lacks the general continuity that Persona 4 seems to have perfected. There is no relation between the tasks that you are being set and the relationships you have with your team - which makes the entire concept of s-linking seem secondary and trivial - and the grinding seem abstract and dull. Instead of having to rescue people you are just told to "explore these rooms before this date" which is both frustratingly vague and unrewarding. There are several aspects of the game which are just stupid. For example I seem to be buying all my weaponry from a POLICE OFFICER at THE POLICE STATION. "I don't know what's going on here, but I guess I just have to trust you" he mumbles, as he sells a Katana to a teenage boy.  

Oh, well, that explains it then...

The ease with which everyone seems to accept these completely surreal scenarios is a continuing bafflement to me. Persona 4 had, I felt, an appropriate knack for calling it's own insanity into a real context. If someone did something dumb, one of the characters would say "That's fucking dumb". In persona 3 they simply nod and agree, which makes me feel like i'm slowly being absorbed into some sort of cult. Well, it's not like we are going to mass suicide by shooting ourselves in the heads or anythi.... oh wait. Never mind. 

I'm going to keep playing though.

The social interactions are still fun, the characters are still interesting. The worst thing is, this game came out before Persona 4 so it has an excuse for not being as good - and that makes me hate myself for getting angry with it's shortcomings. But i'm still going to tell you what they are: The grinding is probably the worst feature, especially as it has such fixed boundaries. Like a womans period the boss battles cycle once a month and, like a womans period, they bring huge discomfort and inconvenience for everyone involved. 

I should stop writing this blog before I drown in my own self loathing :D

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm in that weird limbo between taking an exam and waiting for the consequential set of very important results. 

There's nothing I can do now but sit and quietly panic about the fact that I could have potentially fucked up. There is no longer anything I can do about it. That's unhealthy. That's got to be unhealthy. Right? 

No Caption Provided

I'm trying to keep myself busy with my existing videogames, seeing as I can't afford new ones. I spent my last £5 watching Scott Pilgrim at the cinema (It's awesome) and then borrowed £5 so I could buy Scott Pilgrim on XBLA (also awesome). I'm also trying to get excited for Forza 3, though my usual interaction is to open the decal designer and silently imagine it's vast potential before becoming completely overwhelmed and turning off the television. 

The one game I have been playing in abundance is Epic Mafia. Epic Mafia is a free browser based game where players are given random roles, each with a unique ability, and divided into two groups - mafia and villagers. The mafia know how each other are but the villagers are all anonymous. The villagers have to find and lynch one person each day to try and remove all the mafia from the game. The mafia meanwhile are picking one person from the village each night and killing them. It's a game that revolves around intense mind fuckery. If you are a mafia you need to convince the villagers you aren't, usually by pretending to be somebody else. If you are a villager you need to help find the mafia, but without singling yourself out as a direct threat for the mafia to target. There's lots of backstabbing, uncertainty, misinformation and contradictions. All valuable life skills. Just ask HS21

Speaking of fucked up social interactions

i'm also playing Persona 3 on my brothers PSP. It's... weird. It's certainly not Persona 4. There are big (bigger) gaps in the storyline that are completely un-nerving. I frequently find myself completely dumbfounded by the nonsense that Persona 3 requests me to swallow. There are plot holes everywhere, and the story lacks the general continuity that Persona 4 seems to have perfected. There is no relation between the tasks that you are being set and the relationships you have with your team - which makes the entire concept of s-linking seem secondary and trivial - and the grinding seem abstract and dull. Instead of having to rescue people you are just told to "explore these rooms before this date" which is both frustratingly vague and unrewarding. There are several aspects of the game which are just stupid. For example I seem to be buying all my weaponry from a POLICE OFFICER at THE POLICE STATION. "I don't know what's going on here, but I guess I just have to trust you" he mumbles, as he sells a Katana to a teenage boy.  

The ease with which everyone seems to accept these completely surreal scenarios is a continuing bafflement to me. Persona 4 had, I felt, an appropriate knack for calling it's own insanity into a real context. If someone did something dumb, one of the characters would say "That's fucking dumb". In persona 3 they simply nod and agree, which makes me feel like i'm slowly being absorbed into some sort of cult. Well, it's not like we are going to mass suicide by shooting ourselves in the heads or anythi.... oh wait. Never mind. 

I'm going to keep playing though.

The social interactions are still fun, the characters are still interesting. The worst thing is, this game came out before Persona 4 so it has an excuse for not being as good - and that makes me hate myself for getting angry with it's shortcomings. But i'm still going to tell you what they are: The grinding is probably the worst feature, especially as it has such fixed boundaries. Like a womans period the boss battles cycle once a month and, like a womans period, they bring huge discomfort and inconvenience for everyone involved. 

I should stop writing this blog before I drown in my own self loathing :D

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

Exactly like that.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By C2C

Sorry to hear you dislike Persona 3 that much.  I happen to like it much better than Persona 4 even :(  Then again I experienced it when it came out, so I played it before Persona 4 improved many things.  

I dunno stick with it a bit more, the story gets better as it progresses in my opinion.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

P3 is awesome. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @C2C: I'm going to keep playing. It's just weird. I'm fighting shadows for reasons I can't explain and nobody has yet presented me with a reason as to why I should care. After getting so immersed into Persona 4, the indifference of Persona 3 feels worlds apart.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Cube said:
    " P3 is awesome.  "
    Thanks for reading my blog and taking part in the discussion. I want to be inside you.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

Good to hear you enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.  That is by far my favorite XBLA game of the summer despite not being on the Summer of Arcade.  Okay... maybe MNC is, but Scott Pilgrim is a close second. 
    I totally agree with the grinding in Persona 3 being absolutely terrible, but then again I find that to be the case in most RPGs.  Perhaps it's because I absolutely love the characters and their voice-acting, but I haven't found the story that perturbing.  It certainly is different than P4, but these are different characters and a different mentality.  These dudes actually have armbands and a name for their whole... shadow-fighting operation, I think it's at least believable they'd be a bit more calm about their shadow-fighting. 
    Also... "More like Stupei, Ace DEFECTIVE" is perhaps the best worst line in any game ever.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Sweep said:
    " @C2C: I'm going to keep playing. It's just weird. I'm fighting shadows for reasons I can't explain and nobody has yet presented me with a reason as to why I should care. After getting so immersed into Persona 4, the indifference of Persona 3 feels worlds apart. "
    Have you gotten past the first 10 minutes?
    doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By doublezeroduck
    @Sweep said:
    Like a womans period the boss battles cycle once a month and, like a womans period, they bring huge discomfort and inconvenience for everyone involved.     
    Whoa! Dude. 
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Sweep said:
    " @C2C: I'm going to keep playing. It's just weird. I'm fighting shadows for reasons I can't explain and nobody has yet presented me with a reason as to why I should care. After getting so immersed into Persona 4, the indifference of Persona 3 feels worlds apart. "
    Have you gotten past the first 10 minutes? "
    Very clever. Try ten hours.

The whole "you are saving the world" thing is slightly undermined by the emphasis on trivial activities like going to school. Persona 4 was a lot more down to earth with it's storytelling and the way it presented each chapter of the game felt like it was being steered directly as a result of the players actions as oppose to in Persona 3 where you are often told to do stuff without any real explanation. 

Also "caring" is subjective and, so far, I haven't been given any reason to do so.
    x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By x_XJules

P4 is definitely a lot better, but I still enjoyed P3. I played P3 when it came out so the differences may not have been as obvious to me. 

I think the thing that bugged me the most in P3 was having to find exits in Tartarus in order to go home. P4 had the "Goho-M" or whatever and remembered which floor you left off on. While in P3, when everyone gets tired you have to search around for an exit and then when you go back, it starts you off at the last floor a boss was on. This was really annoying to me, but I found all other aspects of the game to be fine. I thought the story of this one was really good. How far along are you?

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By lemon360

Great read. Would you rather continue playing P3Portable or play P3FES?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

well you're kinda expecting too much; this was the first game they had social links of any form, and as such is kinda.. arbitrary, who you can or cannot s-link with (although some of the social links themselves are great; hanged man, sun, hierophant, hermit, star...) and honestly, the main plot in persona 3 is a damn slight better than persona 4 was, although it does start off slowly. Keep trucking, you'll get more immersed the more you play.

how far are you, by the way?

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Disgaeamad

And once again, Sweep says something stupid.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fallen189

It comes across as though you might be limiting yourself by playing the portable version. For what it's worth, the changes made for the portable are relatively substantial. Just ambient movement between characters in cutscenes, higher quality audio/visual stuff really take a lot from the experience. I'm not by any means saying the portable is an inferior port, but I think combined with the fact that you're playing it on the 5 inch screen or whatever really resonates in the sense where you're just not immersed, because you're very aware that you're just playing a handheld thing, as opposed to an actual television. 

However, I respecfully disagree with the character interaction. I found too, that Persona 3 starts off quite a bit slower than Persona 4, but I think the breadth of interesting characters can be a bit more likeable than the cast of P4. I think it's come down to Atlus refining their narrative storytelling down from P3 to 4, basically. P3 was 2007, and while it's only a year later, the refinements they made to P4 seem very user friendly, in terms of gameplay and story. 

How far in are you at the moment? Moon wise/characters you have?

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Zimbo
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " And once again, Sweep says something stupid. "
    Nothing in this blog is stupid. They are his own opinions. If you don't like them, why bother reading them? In other news, that Epic Mafia game sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a go later.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpiralStairs

I don't remember any big plot holes at all, I have no idea what you're talking about.

And the point of the story in the early game is that you have no idea what's going on. You're just exploring Tartarus to try and get some answers, but you're supposed to feel lost, you're pretty much just experimenting in Tartarus, trying to see if anything you can do in there will stop the shadows.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Sweep:  

I played Persona 4 because I was promised the ultimate-blocker Beelzebub.  The story was OK.  The s-linking sucked ass and was boring as hell.  50% of the game was looking at the loading screen and pressing the triangle button to skip through the dialogue... 

But... 

No Caption Provided
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Disgaeamad said:
    Remember when Disgaeamad was a really cool guy? No, neither do I.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Shadow

Wait, you're getting excited for Forza 3?  What?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Fallen189 said:
    " It comes across as though you might be limiting yourself by playing the portable version. For what it's worth, the changes made for the portable are relatively substantial. Just ambient movement between characters in cutscenes, higher quality audio/visual stuff really take a lot from the experience. I'm not by any means saying the portable is an inferior port, but I think combined with the fact that you're playing it on the 5 inch screen or whatever really resonates in the sense where you're just not immersed, because you're very aware that you're just playing a handheld thing, as opposed to an actual television.  However, I respecfully disagree with the character interaction. I found too, that Persona 3 starts off quite a bit slower than Persona 4, but I think the breadth of interesting characters can be a bit more likeable than the cast of P4. I think it's come down to Atlus refining their narrative storytelling down from P3 to 4, basically. P3 was 2007, and while it's only a year later, the refinements they made to P4 seem very user friendly, in terms of gameplay and story.  How far in are you at the moment? Moon wise/characters you have? "
    I passed the second full moon and am about halfway to the next. That's about 10 hours or so. I'm not fussed about the 5 inch screen thing, the character interaction is all still there and the art is great. Lots of really nice voice acting as well. I think a lot of the characters are pretty generic at this point though :/ I'm hanging around with the guys from the Running club a lot and that's pretty cool but there don't seem to be many alternatives. 

@SpiralStairs said:
    " I don't remember any big plot holes at all, I have no idea what you're talking about.  And the point of the story in the early game is that you have no idea what's going on. You're just exploring Tartarus to try and get some answers, but you're supposed to feel lost, you're pretty much just experimenting in Tartarus, trying to see if anything you can do in there will stop the shadows. "
    That kinda makes sense but it isn't explained very well. It seems like everyone else knows what's going on and they just aren't telling me :S Maybe it's supposed to be like that? Just makes me feel confused.

@x_XJules said:
    " I think the thing that bugged me the most in P3 was having to find exits in Tartarus in order to go home. P4 had the "Goho-M" or whatever and remembered which floor you left off on. While in P3, when everyone gets tired you have to search around for an exit and then when you go back, it starts you off at the last floor a boss was on. This was really annoying to me, but I found all other aspects of the game to be fine. I thought the story of this one was really good. How far along are you? "
    When that happens I just tell the party to split up and search the dungeon. I don't know if that was a feature in the original but they basically just run off and when they find stuff it goes "This person has found the exit - do you want to leave?". There is the potential they could get violated by shadows but it seems to have worked ok for me so far. I have been grinding pretty consistently so my party has leveled up ok. 

Thanks for the comments gaiz :D
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By shirogane
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    "@Sweep:  

I played Persona 4 because I was promised the ultimate-blocker Beelzebub.  The story was OK.  The s-linking sucked ass and was boring as hell.  50% of the game was looking at the loading screen and pressing the triangle button to skip through the dialogue... 

But... 

"

What? WHAT? Dude... 

And yeah, the dungeons and grindy ness of p3 are REALLY bad. Worse than i ever remembered. I also have a tendency to not care about, or hate, the main characters, which doesn't help.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

Epic Mafia sounds delightfully devious. Sort of like a more popular style of gameplay over K&L2. Just with alot less shooting (?) 

As for Persona 3, your descriptions have made it sound like it could an unintentionally hilarious title, but with still some of its character humour to back it all up. It does sound to be nonsensical but that's the first rule of writing a JRPG story anywhoo. 

Ohh and good luck with the exam results.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By luce

The dungeons (dungeon?) in this game are completely uninspired, monotonous and makes grinding that much more tedious 

The characters aren't even close to compelling. And the S-links are boring as hell.

I've already clocked around 70 hours though so I'm seeing this one through

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta
    @luce said:
    " The dungeons (dungeon?) in this game are completely uninspired, monotonous and makes grinding that much more tedious   The characters aren't even close to compelling. And the S-links are boring as hell.  I've already clocked around 70 hours though so I'm seeing this one through "
    however yosuke wishes he was as good a character as Junpei, no lies.
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Disgaeamad
    @Zimbo said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:
    Nothing in this blog is stupid. They are his own opinions. If you don't like them, why bother reading them? In other news, that Epic Mafia game sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a go later. "
    Look, it's our thing. Sweep says something and I make fun of him for it, then he makes fun of me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I really like Persona 3... but I'm 60 hours in as opposed to 10, and I can definitely agree that the plot pacing is pretty weak, particularly in the first few acts. There's also rarely much development in the story in between each full moon event which can often make things drag.

Edit: yeah, while the characters aren't nearly as good on the whole as P4, Yosuke has nothing on Junpei.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " @Zimbo said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:
    Nothing in this blog is stupid. They are his own opinions. If you don't like them, why bother reading them? In other news, that Epic Mafia game sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a go later. "
    Look, it's our thing. Sweep says something and I make fun of him for it, then he makes fun of me. "

No Caption Provided
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Disgaeamad
    @Sweep: Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

Am I gonna have to piledrive a bitch?
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " @Sweep: Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

"
    You couldn't even be bothered to photoshop a hamburger head onto the shark? 0 points for effort.
    dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dogbox

I think it'd be very interesting to have played Persona 4 first before starting Persona 3; I could definitely see how that would cause some dissonance. I was a little wary of P4 when I first started playing it, but now I like it much better than 3. Particularly for what you were saying in your post; P4 is a much more cohesive, interwoven game. And the characters are so much more developed! Naoto is my shit.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mutha3
    @luce said:

" The dungeons (dungeon?) in this game are completely uninspired, monotonous and makes grinding that much more tedious 

This is pretty much my least favorite part of P3. Fuck Tartarus.

I enjoyed the story and characters in P4 a lot more as well, but it was mother effin Tartarus which really make me say'' never again'''when I finished the original P3(I ended up buying and playing  P3P anyways:P )

You DEFINITELY  made the right choice when it comes to what version to play, Sweep. There are loads and loads of improvements they reversed-engineerd into P3 from P4 in the portable version. The original P3/FES  is hard to go back to after you played P4 . Here's the perfect analogy:

Original Persona 3 is Prototype.

Persona 4 is Infamous.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3
    @teh_pwnzorer: pffffftttt

You can make plenty of ultimate blocker Personas in both games. Ultimate blocker Personas are just for show anyways.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34  Edited By Symphony

Personally, I enjoyed 3 a whole lot and found the characters generally more endearing than 4's. Sure Ken was annoying as hell (and Hope from FFXIII was practically a carbon copy of him, but with a better voice actor), but then again so were Yukiko and Rise in 4. 

The one thing I don't quite understand with your rant is the fact you're bothered by unexplained contrivances. That has been a staple of not only Persona, but Shin Megami Tensei in general since the franchise's inception. A police officer selling weapons to kids makes as much sense as a fox tending to shrine and healing you inside of a TV, yet Mysterious Fox gets a pass?

But I think for people who were introduced to the series with 4, 3 is going to feel weaker, and rightly so in ways. 4 fixed a lot of the issues that 3 had (such as not being able to control secondary characters, or knockdown making you miss the whole turn since there was no secondary stun state).  

The story, however, is one of those subjective things. I really enjoyed it, more so than 4's, in fact (especially the social links. The Hermit was hilarious). The whole argument that "they haven't given me a reason to care" is silly, to me. From the opening scenes I was curious to know just what the hell was going on -- people turn into coffins? Fighting giant monsters by shooting yourself in the head? Hell yeah, this is gonna be awesome!  

Anyhow, good read as always.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @mutha3 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: pffffftttt  You can make plenty of ultimate blocker Personas in both games. Ultimate blocker Personas are just for show anyways. "
    I think you can make an ultimate blocker Beelzebub in P3, but I'm never trying to do this again.  It took me longer to fuse that thing than to blast through the last dungeon, solo, letting most enemies commit suicide.
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zimbo
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " @Zimbo said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:

Look, it's our thing. Sweep says something and I make fun of him for it, then he makes fun of me. "

Oh, I see. I offer my apologies then.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpiralStairs

I might be the only person in the world who loved Tartarus. The combat system was excellent too, as long as you know what you're doing. 

And I thought the pacing was pretty good too, there was always something interesting to look forward to, and if you didn't feel like grinding at the moment, you could try out the other parts of the game, as long as you beat the boss before the deadline there would be no problems.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Symphony said:
    "  The one thing I don't quite understand with your rant is the fact you're bothered by unexplained contrivances. That has been a staple of not only Persona, but Shin Megami Tensei in general since the franchise's inception. A police officer selling weapons to kids makes as much sense as a fox tending to shrine and healing you inside of a TV, yet Mysterious Fox gets a pass? "
    This is what I mean about 4 successfully contextualising it's own insanity. When Fox first shows up at your investigation meeting the other characters at least have the decency to be alarmed and ask why the fuck is there a fox here and why is it wearing a bib? In persona 3 everyone acts like this shit is completely normal and it's a little un-nerving. 

I wouldn't know about any of the other SMT games, this is only the second I have played :)
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mutha3
    @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer: pffffftttt  You can make plenty of ultimate blocker Personas in both games. Ultimate blocker Personas are just for show anyways. "

I think you can make an ultimate blocker Beelzebub in P3, but I'm never trying to do this again.  It took me longer to fuse that thing than to blast through the last dungeon, solo, letting most enemies commit suicide. "
    Why bother with Beelzebub? There are more viable ultimate blocker options.  

Like, Metatron. If you want an ultimate blocker, there's a guy fit for the job. I managed to make an ultimate blocker Metatron pretty easily. In  both Persona 3/4.

@Sweep said:

This is what I mean about 4 successfully contextualising it's own insanity. When Fox first shows up at your investigation meeting the other characters at least have the decency to be alarmed and ask why the fuck is there a fox here and why is it wearing a bib?

P3 has its moments of self-awareness, to. you'll see.Not on the same scale as P4, but, its still there.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @mutha3 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

I think you can make an ultimate blocker Beelzebub in P3, but I'm never trying to do this again.  It took me longer to fuse that thing than to blast through the last dungeon, solo, letting most enemies commit suicide. "

"
    Why bother with anything?
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By C2C

The actual reasons why your fighting these shadows does get revealed later on in the story putting them in context.  There will be many elements left unexplained though by the end of the game, those get explained by "The Answer" portion of Persona 3 FES (which I don't know if they're in P3P). 

I will say that Persona 4 in general is much more down to earth about the story, and paces the main story much better than Persona 3.  

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mutha3
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

"
    Why bother with anything? "
     uhhh....that's an oddly philosophical question, but...

.....'cuz its fun?

Atleast, I assume that's the reason you wanted to make an ultimate blocker Persona. I'm just saying, you didn't have to inflict the pain of getting there upon yourself.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @mutha3 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

"
     uhhh....that's an oddly philosophical question, but... .....'cuz its fun?  Atleast, I assume that's the reason you wanted to make an ultimate blocker Persona. I'm just saying, you didn't have to inflict the pain of getting there upon yourself. "
    The result was fun, but the process wasn't.  EDIT: I didn't make a Beelzebub for the blocking, I made a Beelzebub cause he's the lord of the flies, bobdamnit.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mutha3
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @mutha3 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @mutha3 said:

"
     uhhh....that's an oddly philosophical question, but... .....'cuz its fun?  Atleast, I assume that's the reason you wanted to make an ultimate blocker Persona. I'm just saying, you didn't have to inflict the pain of getting there upon yourself. "
    The result was fun, but the process wasn't.  EDIT: I didn't make a Beelzebub for the blocking, I made a Beelzebub cause he's the lord of the flies, bobdamnit. "
    Now THAT is something I can get behind!

I always make cool Personas massively overpowered just because I like them. I...errr...I made an Izangi with Absorb Wind, Vorpal Blade,Maziodyne and Elec Amp.

Then I leveled it up to 80-something......that was not a fun process, let me tell you that!
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Zimbo said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:
    " @Zimbo said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:

Oh, I see. I offer my apologies then. "
    You don't need to apologize to him. Spit in his lasagna!
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Supermarius
    @Sweep said:

this is is addressed. The lack of a clear explanation for what SEES is fighting or why is what makes Yukari so angry and paranoid towards mitsuru. It is explained. Also, not everything is as it appears. Some things don't make sense because they don't make sense. Remember what the arcana is for SEES. It's the fool. That is supposed to tell you something.  Trust me, mitsuru, yukari, and akihiko have very good reasons for fighting. Ken has a very good reason for joining sees, and so does a girl who joins later. The characters with the weakest motivations are Junpei, Fuuka, and koromaru. Junpei doesn't have a very good motivation to fight, and that becomes a veeeeeery major plot point and is the reason why he is initially kind of dickish to the protagonist. Fuuka feels indebted to SEES and she likes being able to help and the game specifically has a scene where mitsuru apologizes for getting Fuuka involved and Fuuka explains her motivations. Koromaru, well hes mostly for fun.

Don't forget that just like in persona 4, each of the party characters in P3 have problems they are trying to work through. They all have "awakened" versions of their personas which they get at key plot points. Before these points they really are a bit lost and confused about their lives, just like normal teenagers.

As for the plot, without giving any spoliers, Persona 3 is basically a retelling of the plot of Neon Genesis Evangelion set in a normal tokyo.  The shadow bosses are like angels (especially later in the game). The characters are like the child pilots, and i can't say more really without spoling stuff, but P3 gets almost as messed up as evangelion except that the MC is awesome, where as Shinji is not. Stick with it, it is really great.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jim_dandy
    @Sweep said:
    " @Disgaeamad said:
    " @Sweep: Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

"
    You couldn't even be bothered to photoshop a hamburger head onto the shark? 0 points for effort. "

No Caption Provided
    fix'd
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Disgaeamad

Hahaha, god dammit jim. gg.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @jim_dandy: Epic win.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By Catolf
    @Supermarius said:
    " @Sweep said:

this is is addressed. The lack of a clear explanation for what SEES is fighting or why is what makes Yukari so angry and paranoid towards mitsuru. It is explained. Also, not everything is as it appears. Some things don't make sense because they don't make sense. Remember what the arcana is for SEES. It's the fool. That is supposed to tell you something.  Trust me, mitsuru, yukari, and akihiko have very good reasons for fighting. Ken has a very good reason for joining sees, and so does a girl who joins later. The characters with the weakest motivations are Junpei, Fuuka, and koromaru. Junpei doesn't have a very good motivation to fight, and that becomes a veeeeeery major plot point and is the reason why he is initially kind of dickish to the protagonist. Fuuka feels indebted to SEES and she likes being able to help and the game specifically has a scene where mitsuru apologizes for getting Fuuka involved and Fuuka explains her motivations. Koromaru, well hes mostly for fun.  Don't forget that just like in persona 4, each of the party characters in P3 have problems they are trying to work through. They all have "awakened" versions of their personas which they get at key plot points. Before these points they really are a bit lost and confused about their lives, just like normal teenagers.  As for the plot, without giving any spoliers, Persona 3 is basically a retelling of the plot of Neon Genesis Evangelion set in a normal tokyo.  The shadow bosses are like angels (especially later in the game). The characters are like the child pilots, and i can't say more really without spoling stuff, but P3 gets almost as messed up as evangelion except that the MC is awesome, where as Shinji is not. Stick with it, it is really great. "
    But Shinjiro Aragaki beats all.

No Caption Provided

But yeah, I agree with the entirety of the post above. *nod nod*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.